2017 vs 2019

Which was the better win?

Votes: 32 62.7%

Votes: 19 37.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting to enjoy 2019 a bit more. 2017 was such a high, that inevitably 2019 seemed a little flat to me. Plus the 2018 Prelim always coloured the feeling a bit - 'This is what we should have done last year'. And no one seriously gave GWS much chance. There was a nagging thought that we needed to beat WC and/or the Pies in the finals to 'validate' the premiership (I know we beat them both late in the H&A).

Add to that the feeling around the 2019 GF being:
a) Played against an opponent who were just 'happy to be here'.
b) Expected to be one-sided (at least by experts and not media cheerleaders who just liked the 'Big Big Sound')
c) Actually being extremely one-sided.

The 2019 premiership was over half-way through the 2nd quarter. There was no feeling 'I think we've got this!' - 'I hope we hang on' etc. There was no emotional roller-coaster. It was just 'Go out and do the job'. We did. Anti-climax.

But now I'm starting to feel better about it. Nothing wrong with being comfortably the best team going around, expected to be the best team, and then going out and proving it. WE didn't fall over at the end of the season like the Pies and WC did. Their problem, not ours.

I'm now just sitting back - enjoying the envious comments from my mates, being a gracious winner (smug?!?! Me?!?!) and taking congratulations (as if I had anything to do with it).

I feel like Usain Bolt must have after his winning Olympic gold - 'You guys didn't really think you had a hope, did you?'.

It's good to be the King. We don't have to shout about it - we just are.

I'm starting to enjoy 2019 a bit more. 2017 was such a high, that inevitably 2019 seemed a little flat to me. Plus the 2018 Prelim always coloured the feeling a bit - 'This is what we should have done last year'. And no one seriously gave GWS much chance. There was a nagging thought that we needed to beat WC and/or the Pies in the finals to 'validate' the premiership (I know we beat them both late in the H&A).

b) Expected to be one-sided (at least by experts and not media cheerleaders who just liked the 'Big Big Sound')

The 2019 premiership was over half-way through the 2nd quarter. There was no feeling 'I think we've got this!' - 'I hope we hang on' etc. There was no emotional roller-coaster. It was just 'Go out and do the job'. We did. Anti-climax.

But now I'm starting to feel better about it. Nothing wrong with being comfortably the best team going around, expected to be the best team, and then going out and proving it. WE didn't fall over at the end of the season like the Pies and WC did. Their problem, not ours.

I'm now just sitting back - enjoying the envious comments from my mates, being a gracious winner (smug?!?! Me?!?!) and taking congratulations (as if I had anything to do with it).

I feel like Usain Bolt must have after his winning Olympic gold - 'You guys didn't really think you had a hope, did you?'.

watching from hospital, I distinctly remember thinking after the 1st qtr, my conclusion was...GWS had no answer, it was a matter of 'how far'.

Like many have said, 2017 was just pure emotion and a sense of "what the fuq is going on here?".

But I don't think the atmosphere and buzz of the 2017 Prelim will ever be replicated in an AFL game. The G was absolutely shaking with 98,000 Richmond supporters going ballistic. When Dusty scored that boonana to start the 4th, it felt as if the stadium was going to collapse on itself!

I still get goosebumps thinking of that game.

In the garden of Eden lay Adam,
Caressing the butt of his madam
and he thought with elation
in all of creation
there were only two balls and he had 'em.

it’s good to be the king

EFDDB7E8-787C-4B96-A085-412C66D9E29A.jpeg

2017 for many reasons...most because of all the beatings and crap we’ve been putting up with for way too long.
2019 for me wasn’t special on gf day, I though the achievement to get to the GF was greater than the game itself which l think is a little unfair because all our stars aligned to play a total football game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2017 was disbelief and then unbelievable scenes afterwards.

2019 was so satisfying because it meant we weren't just some team that fluked a flag and then went s**t again.

2019 actually makes the 2017 flag even better.

What I love about 2019 though is we trolled the entire AFL by beating their lame 666 plan that was supposed to stop us and gift geelong (specifically egghead) a premiership. Then naming a debutant for the granny. That really will take some beating.

Of course, the best way to beat it will be to go back to back!

Last edited:
Both seasons are special for different reasons, the drought breaking flag in 2017 is special in its own right. 2019 was special given the spate of injuries and the teams ability to adapt and believe in each other.

I really sat back and savoured the moments in the 2019 gf, knowing so early in the game it was done, being able to enjoy a grand final and not be stressing out at every contest was such a great feeling.

I can't wait to see how we go in 2020 given the talent we had on the side lines was good enough to be best 22.

Just a wonderful time to be a Richmond supporter. We were overseas for 2017, watching us break the drought in Washington late in the evening. I couldn't believe 2 years later we were back in the big dance and I had the chance to be at the MCG along with my 3 children who i had brainwashed from the day they were born to follow Richmond (e.g. for many years the kiddies were allowed to buy something from Tiger Superstore if Richmond won) and wife (who swore would never again come to another Richmond game with me after I abused her for not barracking hard enough for the Tigers in a game at the MCG against 2017 against GWS during home and away)

Two totally different premierships and both beautiful in their own special way.

2017 - coming off a horrid 2016 and no one gave us any chance. No flag for 37 years.
2019 - coming off a horrid preliminary final loss when premiership favourites all season and big things expected. No flag for 1 year.

2017 - brilliant start on the back of a great injury run and the surprise factor.
2019 - stuttering start on the back of an awful injury run.

2017 - as finals loomed, the narrative became "why not us" and we were swept along on a tide of raw emotion.
2019 - as finals loomed and our winning streak continued, the narrative became "can the Tigers find redemption" and the anxiety levels grew.

2017 - The Finals!! Wow, the emotions as we swept aside the Cats, one of the sweetest wins ever, and the roar when Lambert kicked the first in the prelim will never be equalled. A real "The Tigers are in the Grand Final, can you believe it... I can't" moment.
2019 - The Finals!! Totally different to 2017 in that we were favourites and the best performed side over three years. Both games we started slowly and professionally destroyed both Brisbane and Geelong after half time. A real "one more game" moment, very controlled.

2017 - The Grand Final - Crows heavy favourites, no MCG bullshit pre-game, Crows on their podcast predicting 100 point wins. The reality was that they crumbled in the face of our unprecedented pressure which broke their club. Was standing with my son amongst a horde of unbelieving Tiger fanatics as a pipe dream became reality. Saturday, Sunday and Monday on Swan Street saw uncontrolled excitement. OMG! Richmond are premiers again, sometimes doubted that I'd ever see that again. Absolutely rapt for my son and all the younger Richmond supporters who had suffered so much!
2019 - The Grand Final - Tigers heavy favourites, apart from the media flogs wishing for a GWS win, arm wrestle early and then total domination and one of the easiest and stress free wins ever. A feeling of immense satisfaction that we proved that we are by far the best team in the competition and the future is Yellow & Black.

In summary... can't split them.
Go Tiges
Eat 'Em Alive

Back