Injury 2018 Awareness Thread - 01 Days without an injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Since when has he been carrying an injury? I hadn’t heard anything.
Since he missed a game with I think a hip? Injury his output hadn't been the same & clearly a little sore. We have had to keep playing him given our injuries, but we may be able to give him a game to freshen up if Smith & Douglas become available. Definitely best 22 though.

Since he missed a game with I think a hip? Injury his output hadn't been the same & clearly a little sore. We have had to keep playing him given our injuries, but we may be able to give him a game to freshen up if Smith & Douglas become available. Definitely best 22 though.
I'd say our best 22 would have Smith and Seeds both in the team. Both can break lines with their pace, and both equally potent with their long kicks. Handy players who can break up congestion around the ball.

Since when has he been carrying an injury? I hadn’t heard anything.
Clubs don't actually profess to anyone being at risk of injury when they're picked in the team. There is though always a chance of re-injury when a player recently returns from an injury, especially after a long stint off. This would also help explain why we're not rushing Smith back to the AFL, and letting him loose in the SANFL for a few weeks first.

I'd say our best 22 would have Smith and Seeds both in the team. Both can break lines with their pace, and both equally potent with their long kicks. Handy players who can break up congestion around the ball.
I wasn't suggesting otherwise. ;)

My best 22 this year, with Brouch unavailable.
B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Smith, Keath/Hartigan, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Gibbs
HF: Lynch, Walker, Douglas
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Sloane, Knight
I: Milera, Greenwood, Atkins, Gallucci/Murphy
E: Hartigan/Keath, Cheney, Murphy/Gallucci,

Ps. Just realised we may have Smith, Douglas & Doedee all available next week, so should have our strongest side of the season for hopefully a Showdown shallacking of Port, with our season still alive.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. ;)

My best 22 this year, with Brouch unavailable.
B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Smith, Keath/Hartigan, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Gibbs
HF: Lynch, Walker, Douglas
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Sloane, Knight
I: Milera, Greenwood, Atkins, Gallucci/Murphy
E: Hartigan/Keath, Cheney, Murphy/Gallucci,
We can say we have genuine depth now, having tried a heap of newbies this year. You left out Kelly and CEY and.........Mackay!
We can feel more confident in covering players if any other mishaps happen. The aim now is to halt the momentum of injuries, and get everyone peaking gradually to the last rounds. I reckon on paper, our current best 22 is better than last year's Grand Final 22 (missing McGovern and SMith). We've since lost Cameron and Lever, but now have Doedee and Gallucci. We've lost BCrouch for the year, but now have Gibbs covering ground. Milera also looks a better fit than Mackay in the defense.

There would be a fair chance that defensively outpointed. Both leave their opponents for stretches. Haven’t found the balance yet.

Injury list as of Tuesday, July 31
Tom Doedee (concussion) – test
Richard Douglas (ankle) – test
David Mackay (ribs) – test
Mitch McGovern (shoulder) - test
Jackson Edwards (ankle) – 1 week
Kyle Hartigan (knee) – 1-2 weeks
Harry Dear (knee) – 1-2 weeks
Paul Seedsman (hamstring) 2-3 weeks
Andrew McPherson (hamstring) – indefinite
Brad Crouch (groin) – indefinite
Reilly O’Brien (shoulder) - season

Injury List as of Tuesday, August 7
Richard Douglas (ankle) – Test
Riley Knight (knee) – Test
Mitch McGovern (shoulder) – Test
Daniel Talia (calf) – Test
Jackson Edwards (ankle) – Test
Paul Seedsman (hamstring) – 1 week
Kyle Hartigan (knee) – 1-2 weeks
Harry Dear (knee) – 1-2 weeks
Andrew McPherson (hamstring) – indefinite
Brad Crouch (groin) – indefinite
Reilly O’Brien (shoulder) - season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talia - Corked Calf

Source Tate Kaesler assistant coach on 5aa
Put Talia in cotton wool for the season as it's about next year now.

Great opportunity to try Gov at CHB.

Put Talia in cotton wool for the season as it's about next year now.

Great opportunity to try Gov at CHB.
I agree that they should put Talia in cotton wool.. but it's not going to happen, at least not this week.

The chances of it happening are incredibly remote, but there are still permutations which could see Adelaide make the finals in 2018. The club has an obligation to do its best to win every game while it remains a "mathematical chance" of making the finals.

I strongly suspect that those permutations will no longer exist after this round, given that we're effectively 3 games behind the 8, with 3 games to play - and entirely dependent upon a large number of other results going our way. But for this round, they will go with the strongest possible team - and that includes Talia.

I agree that they should put Talia in cotton wool.. but it's not going to happen, at least not this week.

The chances of it happening are incredibly remote, but there are still permutations which could see Adelaide make the finals in 2018. The club has an obligation to do its best to win every game while it remains a "mathematical chance" of making the finals.

I strongly suspect that those permutations will no longer exist after this round, given that we're effectively 3 games behind the 8, with 3 games to play - and entirely dependent upon a large number of other results going our way. But for this round, they will go with the strongest possible team - and that includes Talia.
Agree with this. The club has maintained they still have their eyes on finals so they will go in with the intent on winning all 3 games, but if they lose this week they can start to put guys in cotton wool.

Talia will most likely play injured.

It's all about creating a winning culture versus losing to get lower draft picks. Which do we gain more - by winning all 3 or losing all 3?

The other thing I want to point out is that the key issue is that we need better player management with injuries as well as better fitness programme over the preseason. Resting players early might allow quicker recovery during the preseason, but they can easily bugger up their injuries again if no improvements in the medical/fitness management.

It's all about creating a winning culture versus losing to get lower draft picks. Which do we gain more - by winning all 3 or losing all 3?

The other thing I want to point out is that the key issue is that we need better player management with injuries as well as better fitness programme over the preseason. Resting players early might allow quicker recovery during the preseason, but they can easily bugger up their injuries again if no improvements in the medical/fitness management.
Resting players is easy to do when you've only got a handful of players missing. It's damn near impossible when more than 1/3 of the team is carrying injuries, or returning from injury - which was frequently the case with Adelaide this year.

I agree with you in theory... it's just not always practical to do it in reality.

Resting players is easy to do when you've only got a handful of players missing. It's damn near impossible when more than 1/3 of the team is carrying injuries, or returning from injury - which was frequently the case with Adelaide this year.

I agree with you in theory... it's just not always practical to do it in reality.
I'm not referring to resting of players during the season, more of people's comments for resting players now ahead of the next preseason. We need to learn from mistakes for the handling of injuries (fitness staff, medical staff, coaches) all need to chip in and play their part in lessening this injuries epidemic for next year. Because if otherwise, resting players early would still be a futile exercise!

If we lose this week I see us putting Talia, Tex, Sauce, Sloane and Eddie all in Cotton Wool and letting them heal before preseason. But until the 'mathematical chance' is gone they will all play

This is what we have always done. How is that winning culture working out for us?

If we lose this week I see us putting Talia, Tex, Sauce, Sloane and Eddie all in Cotton Wool and letting them heal before preseason. But until the 'mathematical chance' is gone they will all play
Hope so. I would go with something like...

B: Brown, Keath, Doedee
HB: Smith, McGovern, Laird
C: Gallucci, Crouch, Atkins
HF: Douglas, Fogarty, Murphy
F: Davis, Jenkins, Greenwood
R: Hunter, Gibbs, Milera
I: Cheney, CEY, Polholke, Himmelberg

Thanks to Ben Page and Champion Data on twitter

DkdO_5EU0AAcW7X.jpg:large

Thanks to Ben Page and Champion Data on twitter

DkdO_5EU0AAcW7X.jpg:large
Someone should tweet afc, given a huge amount of these were self-inflicted by our shyte performance & conditioning staff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back