Team Mgmt. 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Soft? Nah, far from it. Backs back into traffic regularly.

Funny you should ask that, given Baguley has struggled against both of recent years. You generally only play the 2 key forwards so I'd probably go with Hurley on one and probably Gleeson on the other (probably Fasolo)
Given we often played 2 kpd against sides with 3 kpf last year, I can't see us playing 3 kpd against Collingwood. Likely both Bags and gleeson play that week imo.

Given we often played 2 kpd against sides with 3 kpf last year, I can't see us playing 3 kpd against Collingwood. Likely both Bags and gleeson play that week imo.
That's because we literally only had 2 KPD available in all bar the Adelaide game.

There’s always a few surprises each year re best 22s and I reckon next years might be Ridley. Really good user of the ball, could play that mop up third man in defense as I think Hurley will need to play directly on the oppositions best forward due to our lack of big key shutdown defenders.

Soft? Nah, far from it. Backs back into traffic regularly.

Funny you should ask that, given Baguley has struggled against both of recent years. You generally only play the 2 key forwards so I'd probably go with Hurley on one and probably Gleeson on the other (probably Fasolo)

When has Baguley's ability against good players ever been factored into the assessment of his performances?

FB: McKenna Hooker Gleeson
HB: Goddard Hurley Saad
C: McGrath Merrett Meyers
HF: Stewart Daniher Walla
FF: Smith Stringer Fantasia
Fol: Belly Heppell Zaharakis

IC: Parish, Baguley, Laverde, Langford

Last edited:

We started the season with 3 tall defenders and then finished it with 3 tall defenders with consistent injuries to Brown and Ambrose in between. I'd say that three tall defenders is our default.

I don't think it's a mobile enough group to play each week regardless of the opponent. It opens the door for Redman and Ridley to play next year.

Fair call gents - I'll have a closer look at Gleeson this year.

But I still love Bags (although I am biased as he is a mate of mine from the Peninsula).

Backs: Gleeson Hooker Francis
HBak: SAAD Hurley McKenna
Centr:
Parish Heppell Goddard
HFwd: Orazio Stewart STRINGER
Forwa: Begley Daniher Walla
Rucks: T.Bell Zerrett Zaharakis
Inters: SMITH McGrath Langers Laverde
(E. Baguley, Hartley, Colyer, Myers, Ambrose, McNiece, Mutch, Ridley, Green, Luenberg, M.Brown, Redman)

Have come around to swinging Hooker back - given we can get Lang/Lav/Stringer up and going, along with Begley, we will have plenty of marking options running through the fwd line while spending time in the midfield.

If Hooker goes back, sets up Francis with a fantastic opportunity to become a 3rd tall/damaging intercept player. Have plenty of flexibility to take on sml forwards with Saad, Gleeson, McGrath and even Hurls (if against the tiges) capable.

I think this team maximises the potential on our list for next year however it does depend on Francis, Langford and Laverde all being ready to take the step up in 2018.

Gleeson to pack on 6-8kg of lean muscle over summer and go AA next year!
You can do it!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backs: Gleeson Hooker Francis
HBak: SAAD Hurley McKenna
Centr:
Parish Heppell Goddard
HFwd: Orazio Stewart STRINGER
Forwa: Begley Daniher Walla
Rucks: T.Bell Zerrett Zaharakis
Inters: SMITH McGrath Langers Laverde
(E. Baguley, Hartley, Colyer, Myers, Ambrose, McNiece, Mutch, Ridley, Green, Luenberg, M.Brown, Redman)

Have come around to swinging Hooker back - given we can get Lang/Lav/Stringer up and going, along with Begley, we will have plenty of marking options running through the fwd line while spending time in the midfield.

If Hooker goes back, sets up Francis with a fantastic opportunity to become a 3rd tall/damaging intercept player. Have plenty of flexibility to take on sml forwards with Saad, Gleeson, McGrath and even Hurls (if against the tiges) capable.

I think this team maximises the potential on our list for next year however it does depend on Francis, Langford and Laverde all being ready to take the step up in 2018.

We started the season with 3 tall defenders and then finished it with 3 tall defenders with consistent injuries to Brown and Ambrose in between. I'd say that three tall defenders is our default.

I don't think it's a mobile enough group to play each week regardless of the opponent. It opens the door for Redman and Ridley to play next year.
We chose to play 2 talls vs adelaides 4, so I don't think our "default " is that clear.

I personally don't expect Ambrose and Hartley playing together will be our preferred set up unless something changes with their respective games.

I think Goddard, Francis, Ridley will get games back there along with Gleeson. Whether you label them kpd or a 3rd tall, I think we'll structure up a bit differently next year.

Or maybe I'm just hoping we do.

Time to throw out the sentiment and get ruthless.

Out: Watson, Stanton, J.Merrett, Bird, Morgan, Clarke, Hocking, Howlett, Kelly, Dea

Consider re-rookie from these guys: Morgan, Long, Clarke, Draper, McKernan, Dea, McNiece

Cutting a kid we drafted last year?

:drunk:

Bags Ambrose Gleeson
McKenna Hurley Saad

Zaharakis Merrett McGrath

Fantasia Daniher Stringer
Stewart Hooker McDonald-Tipungwuti

Bellchambers Myers Heppell

Smith Parish Colyer Goddard

On reflection i'm not writing off Colyer yet. He has more runs on the board than the other options and another preseason could iron out some of the fumbles. Plus the side is just electric with pace if he can hold down a place. He is also a like for like (or small) replacement in the forward line for Fantasia or Walla to have a run in the midfield. Whereas Colyer spent far more time in the midfield this year I expect next year that the three of them might well split the midfield time evenly. That would make Colyer far less of a liability, particularly since his tackling pressure has been one area of improvement and that's what we would want from him up forward. For Langford to jump him, he would have to take the next step. I will believe it when i see it.

There is room for only one of Stringer or Laverde, so Laverde is on serious notice to up his midfield cred in order to compete with that group.

Bags Ambrose Gleeson
McKenna Hurley Saad

Zaharakis Merrett McGrath

Fantasia Daniher Stringer
Stewart Hooker McDonald-Tipungwuti

Bellchambers Myers Heppell

Smith Parish Colyer Goddard

On reflection i'm not writing off Colyer yet. He has more runs on the board than the other options and another preseason could iron out some of the fumbles. Plus the side is just electric with pace if he can hold down a place. He is also a like for like (or small) replacement in the forward line for Fantasia or Walla to have a run in the midfield. Whereas Colyer spent far more time in the midfield this year I expect next year that the three of them might well split the midfield time evenly. That would make Colyer far less of a liability, particularly since his tackling pressure has been one area of improvement and that's what we would want from him up forward. For Langford to jump him, he would have to take the next step. I will believe it when i see it.

There is room for only one of Stringer or Laverde, so Laverde is on serious notice to up his midfield cred in order to compete with that group.
Valid point, Colyer could be the one to replace Fantasia and Walla when there not in our fwd line. I'd prefer Merrett and smith saving some tank to play small fwd for stints and bring in a bigger body whether that be Langford, laverde, begley, mutch or Clarke.

Valid point, Colyer could be the one to replace Fantasia and Walla when there not in our fwd line. I'd prefer Merrett and smith saving some tank to play small fwd for stints and bring in a bigger body whether that be Langford, laverde, begley, mutch or Clarke.
I agree, and i think one of those guys will step up and overtake Colyer. I'm really just looking at the team if they were to play as of now, in which case Colyer deserves the gig. Top four should be a lock if one of those guys has a break out year. I'm a little harsh on Langford, but if i had to lay down money i would split it between Langford, Laverde and Begley. Begley is the one who is almost the most exciting of the lot. Just seems to have a quality to him, plus a bit of x factor.

doing a best 22...

giphy.gif

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I like the EckersDevs team too. But Zaharakis to a wing, Smith to on-ball, and Goddard to the bench.

I know Goddard finished second in the B&F. But the B&F to me isn't a great indicator of future value. Look at poor Gibson from Norf. 6th in the B&F, hasn't missed a game since 1972.. and delisted. Goddard has one more year left I reckon.. little cracks started to appear this year (in his kicking and 1-on-1 & marking contests) and as we all know, they can widen quickly at his age. His troubles are masked by his ability to get outside and rack up stats in transition. But I'm predicting a significant slide down the B&F leaderboard.. down towards the pretzels and the also-rans.

Stewart is an interesting case. It feels to me like there could still be more upside.. like A LOT more. He does play like a flanker in that he looks best leading to the open side. But there were moments late in the year where he showed true confidence, and took contested marks. With his size and mobility suddenly he looked a very genuine key forward. Very different style to Hooker, but as a few have said.. it doesn't have to be like for like. With a lot of foot speed in the team you need a more mobile forward line as they will get good looks on the lead. Daniher/Stewart/Begley/Stringer/Fantasia/Walla... yum.

Hopefully Stewart comes on because we need Hooker back. Hats off to Hartley but he's not a dominant FB in the way that Hooker can be. Hurley periodically got shown up in marking contests late in the year as he regularly needed to take number one forwards for bigger periods in games.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back