MemberSince02

Rookie
Mar 30, 2008
Esperance
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Early doors of course and it always takes a few seasons to determine the veracity of such things, but the author has both Cerra & Brayshaw in the top 10 at this early stage.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/06/19/top-10-from-the-2017-national-draft-re-selected/

1. Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood) – pick 6
2. Tim Kelly (Geelong) – pick 24
3. Ed Richards (Western Bulldogs) – pick 16
4. Bayley Fritsch (Melbourne) – pick 31
5. Jack Higgins (Richmond) – pick 17
6. Adam Cerra (Fremantle) – pick 5
7. Aaron Naughton (Western Bulldogs) – pick 9
8. Andrew Brayshaw (Fremantle) – pick 2
9. Cameron Rayner (Brisbane) – pick 1
10. Matt Guelfi (Essendon) – pick 76

Of all the others, the one I'll be keeping a close eye on is Ed Richards. He seems very polished and a joy to watch.

However, the likes of mature ages Tim Kelly & Matt Guelfi on that list has got me thinking. Given the current age demographic of our list (incorporating the retirements / delistings of some seasoned players), in the next 1-2 drafts would we be best targeting a couple of mature age draftees if they are deemed comparable to the 18 year old's available around that pick/s. Would the benefit of having a couple more mature bodies in the team straight away offset the risk of their AFL careers potentially being shorter given their late foray into the AFL?

Guelfi great value too. Tore it up for Claremont last year. Probably only passed because we're pretty good for that kind of player. Inside mid, good contested ball, but with somewhat dodgy disposal, we've already got Fyfe, Neale, Blakely, and now Brayshaw and Banfield who are a similar type.

I assume there's a fair chance we would have taken Guelfi if he had still been there with the pick we took Banfield, they are quite similar players.

Last edited:
Tim Kelly is a nice player but have been watching him closely and I think his impact has been overrated. While he is nice with the ball, his speed and running ability is just average as is his intensity around contests.

Not convinced he will make us a better side next year. Expect Brayshaw and Cerra to both go past him next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naughton has averaged only 4 marks and 11 disposals in 8 games yet is ahead of Brayshaw and just behind Cerra? :huh:

Is this ranking supposed to reflect immediate impact or the actual order he thinks they should have been taken in? If it's the latter it's idiotic.

"Over the course of the bye rounds, SEN will be breaking down top 10s in various categories from the 2018 season.

Today, we'll be re-selecting the 2017 National Draft, ranking the top 10 performers so far this season."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a terrible list, I'm surprised Ronke isn't in there if they're looking at stats & immediate impact.

I'd have Ed Richards #1 easily, Stephenson is good but he's just been a finisher in a good side. Higgins & Kelly that high is a good joke too.

He'll probably come home, but I don't see how we'd be in front of Eagles for obtaining him.
If we want him surely he is gettable for us. How do you see our respective salary caps comparing? They have huge contracts to negotiate with McGov, Gaff and Lycett. We have to tray and lock in.....Sheridan. As a late bloomer with a huge focus on family Kelly would find a good contract very persuasive. I don't see an obvious trade deal, but it wouldn't be an impossible thing for our guys to engineer. Geelong seem quite reasonable at trade time.

Naughton has averaged only 4 marks and 11 disposals in 8 games yet is ahead of Brayshaw and just behind Cerra? :huh:

More about solidness in the backline, immediate best 22 player, and WB defence has struggled without him (and the other outs they have). Big guy not going to have the same stats.

Having said that, this is essentially a 'rising star top 10' (but just for first year players). Clearly mature bodies are more likely to have an impact in their first season.

If we want him surely he is gettable for us. How do you see our respective salary caps comparing? They have huge contracts to negotiate with McGov, Gaff and Lycett. We have to tray and lock in.....Sheridan. As a late bloomer with a huge focus on family Kelly would find a good contract very persuasive. I don't see an obvious trade deal, but it wouldn't be an impossible thing for our guys to engineer. Geelong seem quite reasonable at trade time.
We have far, far less to satisfy Geelong in any trade though, picks-wise. Those kinds of logistics take a back seat to practical trade currency. He'd walk straight into WCE's midfield too.

Early doors of course and it always takes a few seasons to determine the veracity of such things, but the author has both Cerra & Brayshaw in the top 10 at this early stage.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/06/19/top-10-from-the-2017-national-draft-re-selected/

1. Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood) – pick 6
2. Tim Kelly (Geelong) – pick 24
3. Ed Richards (Western Bulldogs) – pick 16
4. Bayley Fritsch (Melbourne) – pick 31
5. Jack Higgins (Richmond) – pick 17
6. Adam Cerra (Fremantle) – pick 5
7. Aaron Naughton (Western Bulldogs) – pick 9
8. Andrew Brayshaw (Fremantle) – pick 2
9. Cameron Rayner (Brisbane) – pick 1
10. Matt Guelfi (Essendon) – pick 76

Of all the others, the one I'll be keeping a close eye on is Ed Richards. He seems very polished and a joy to watch.

However, the likes of mature ages Tim Kelly & Matt Guelfi on that list has got me thinking. Given the current age demographic of our list (incorporating the retirements / delistings of some seasoned players), in the next 1-2 drafts would we be best targeting a couple of mature age draftees if they are deemed comparable to the 18 year old's available around that pick/s. Would the benefit of having a couple more mature bodies in the team straight away offset the risk of their AFL careers potentially being shorter given their late foray into the AFL?
total bs to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back