2018 Fixture wish list

Remove this Banner Ad

In our Premiership years guess how many Friday night games we played? None. We played 2 Thursday night games, 1 in 2003 and 1 in 2004 both against Collingwood. When did we last play a game on a Friday night?

Edit, was back in 2013.

Which seems to just be accepted.

In our Premiership years guess how many Friday night games we played? None. We played 2 Thursday night games, 1 in 2003 and 1 in 2004 both against Collingwood. When did we last play a game on a Friday night?

Edit, was back in 2013.
Spot on E we simply will not get Friday night games, these are for clubs that draw large crowds to the venue and on Television. Who's to say the club is not campaigning very forcefully behind closed doors for a game or 2 more in Melbourne and more games at the MCG. IMO we are getting the best we could hope for considering our on field performance, our relevance and drawing capacity.

If we start being a consistent finals side we will probably get a game or 2 more at the MCG and maybe a few more Saturday night games at the Gabba.

What should we do? Boycott if we don't get any Friday games?
Have you read what I've posted? It's not hard to push for a friday night game in a controlled manner, why must it be extreme? North Melbourne pushed for Good Friday, put in the work and were rewarded. Let's just keep sitting on our hands, complaining about a Victorian focussed competition and accept things as they are.

Have you read what I've posted? It's not hard to push for a friday night game in a controlled manner, why must it be extreme? North Melbourne pushed for Good Friday, put in the work and were rewarded. Let's just keep sitting on our hands, complaining about a Victorian focussed competition and accept things as they are.

You don't think the club is pushing to get some prime time slots? The last time we had one was an embarrassment. We will never be a big Melbourne club and will always be largely irrelevant in the AFL unfortunately. North are the pioneers of Friday night football so they always had a great case to put forward. Until we have over 50,000 members and start filling up the Gabba things won't change. It's all about money, it's a business.

You don't think the club is pushing to get some prime time slots? The last time we had one was an embarrassment. We will never be a big Melbourne club and will always be largely irrelevant in the AFL unfortunately. North are the pioneers of Friday night football so they always had a great case to put forward. Until we have over 50,000 members and start filling up the Gabba things won't change. It's all about money, it's a business.

But we should try to get 50,000 members. Why isn't the club pushing harder for more members?

Not really that hard to work out why the fixture is the way it is.

giphy.gif

Lethal said we may as well merge with Gold Coast so that should get us close to 40,000.
If we merge with Gold Coast due to a failure of the AFL and its ridiculous assumption that the GC would work I will support Port Adelaide.

What a joke comp the AFL is when powerful clubs can demand what sort of fixture they get given while the paupers get the scraps.

I don't really buy into tate13 's arguments about pushing harder for better timeslots, but all the same it's frustrating to see the Blues yet again getting another generous run of four Friday night games despite another poor season.

At our best, we won't get the same number of plum time slots as Carlton get at their worst.

We play the Hawks twice first time at The Gabba next time in Tassie. I was thinking with Luke Hodge playing for Brisbane now the AFL would have a Lions Hawks game at the MCG instead of in Tassie.

We get Melbourne up at The Gabba next year when was the last time they came up here?

Again, I’m not asking for multiple slots, just one. The business argument is one i comprehend, but can always be bent. We played an exciting brand last year and I don’t think too many broadcasters would’ve complained about a Hodge Hawks slot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We always play the Hawks in Tassie as we where looked at as a Melb team when they did the contract.
If we played the Hawks in Melb we get them less $ then any other Melb team.
I think we played the Hawks in Melb once in like 10 years.

5 Melb games and 2 night games not great when you have little kids.
So we try to do 3 games and maybe Geelong for a day trip. Maybe one night with older kids.
Although I tried for all this year ended up with 3 games only.

I always run on the assumption that out of the media the club absolutely raises these items with the AFL and in earnest on most occasions. To assume the opposite would be to basically say that those running the club are completely incompetent (which while accurate in the past, I don't believe is applicable any more). I mean if we were to run a comparison, in the years Swann was running Carlton they had the following thursday and friday night games.

2008 - 3
2009 - 7
2010 - 7
2011 - 7
2012 - 9
2013 - 6
2014 - 8

That would suggest that he is capable as an administrator of lobbying and obtaining Friday night games (and a lot of them given how crap carlton have been). Its safe to assume that he would have done a similar amount of work the last few years for brisbane which does go to show how up against it we are in this regard.

As to why we don't raise too much angst in the media as a club, i would imagine that its a matter of commercial realities. Given we're completely reliant on the AFL to maintain the club as a going concern, as well as having just received their assistance in getting Fagan and Noble, as well as relying on them putting in millions of dollars to get us a new facility, and utilising their assets (AFLQ) to lobby groups and develop plans for said facilities i'd imagine that we tend to be a bit careful in the battles we're picking.

We've already taken a few shots at them this off season surrounding the FA compo, so its not like we're completely downtrodden and compliant but in the grand scheme of things to really lobby hard about, missing out on friday night games when we finished the previous season (last two seasons in all reality) at the bottom of the table isn't particularly high on the list. Get a few more of the above ticked off and then I'll be disappointed if we're not making more noise.

We play the Hawks twice first time at The Gabba next time in Tassie. I was thinking with Luke Hodge playing for Brisbane now the AFL would have a Lions Hawks game at the MCG instead of in Tassie.

We get Melbourne up at The Gabba next year when was the last time they came up here?

Last Melbourne game I remember at the Gabba was an afternoon game where Jim Stynes was playing!!! And he wore a green Fluro cap on his head to be sun smart, and one of our players possibly a Scott twin pulled it off his head and ripped it to shreds. Those were the days

I think it's a big assumption (and probably false) that the club doesn't push hard for more Melbourne games and more/any Friday games. Because it doesn't happen, people assume the club hasn't tried hard enough.
It's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it? We would get more attention with a bigger Melbourne fan base, but we need more attention to get that fan base. Cart before the horse or chicken before the egg?
Not much good pointing at the big crowd at Brunswick St in 2001, saying we need to build that fandom back up when team results this year couldn't be further in comparison.
Reality is, the landscape has changed with further geographical distribution of teams, so I reckon 5+1 isn't bad. We've had worse. In the meantime, it's no good suggesting the club hasn't tried hard enough when the Lions aren't drawing a crowd or membership base in Melbourne. Maybe have a crack at your mates for not getting along to games when they are in town.

Last Melbourne game I remember at the Gabba was an afternoon game where Jim Stynes was playing!!! And he wore a green Fluro cap on his head to be sun smart, and one of our players possibly a Scott twin pulled it off his head and ripped it to shreds. Those were the days

I remember a bunch when Melbourne was selling games to us, before the AFL stepped in and said that sold games had to be to a neutral venue.

I think it's a big assumption (and probably false) that the club doesn't push hard for more Melbourne games and more/any Friday games. Because it doesn't happen, people assume the club hasn't tried hard enough.
It's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it? We would get more attention with a bigger Melbourne fan base, but we need more attention to get that fan base. Cart before the horse or chicken before the egg?
Not much good pointing at the big crowd at Brunswick St in 2001, saying we need to build that fandom back up when team results this year couldn't be further in comparison.
Reality is, the landscape has changed with further geographical distribution of teams, so I reckon 5+1 isn't bad. We've had worse. In the meantime, it's no good suggesting the club hasn't tried hard enough when the Lions aren't drawing a crowd or membership base in Melbourne. Maybe have a crack at your mates for not getting along to games when they are in town.

It’s a big assumption (and definitely false) to assume I think it’s not trying.
It was incompetently managed for an extended period of time. That’s not an assumption, it’s a fact. In that time the fan base I mentioned and success existed. Both have dwindled. An environment where players wanted to leave among other things emerged. That seems to be on the right path now. My point is that it would be nice to see some public acknowledgement. Highlight that it’s been something of an issue for years on end. Speak of it in the Media. Make it news, make people listen. Advocate. Make your own luck instead of waiting for luck to find you.

It's all about the finances ultimately. The AFL gets most of their money from the broadcasting deal & clubs get a large portion of theirs from ticket sales, so while things like the exact wording of a merger agreement and a concept of even distribution may hold some merit, ultimately they're never going to compete with financial interests.

Channel Seven would be distraught if we were given a Friday night game at the moment. Not only are there not too many Lions fans to tune in, but we've also been awful for a long time which will likely make it a very dull game for neutral viewers.

Carlton may also be awful (although they didn't have many blowouts this year), but they've got an enormous supporter base who'll watch their Friday night matches, keeping Seven happy.

These are entirely financial decisions, and I think that's completely understandable. I also don't think they hamper the integrity of the draw too much - if they start scheduling Carlton against Collingwood every second weekend, then perhaps there'll be reason to complain. But I feel like the balance of financial motivations against a fair and reasonable draw is quite good at the moment.

We had a good win against Melbourne at home in 2012. Not sure if we've played them here since then.

If the Lions aren’t 0-4 heading into our game against the Suns I’ll be very happy. 3 teams in Port, Richmond & the Saints that usually annihilate us, and the Dees who are a bit too good for us of late.

Mid-season is good, we get some big clubs at the Gabba – Collingwood, Hawthorn and Sydney all in a rush, maybe our second or third win of the year against North in June. Play GWS twice early on – might as well get those floggings out of the way. A chance to embarrass Freo again in July over in Perth at their new digs, Carlton up for their traditional QLD booze cruise and disappointing loss in July.

Another flogging down in Tasmania by the Hawks, Adelaide & Geelong to really kick the stuffing out of us with consecutive 60+ touch ups towards the end of July. Second game against North to hopefully hand them the spoon this time, Collingwood with a home game at Etihad Saturday night – sign of the times they can’t fill the G anymore by themselves – another Qclash in the penultimate round and finally we play the Weagles for the first time at the Gabba in round 23. They’ll be devastated they can’t rely on our percentage piñata over in Perth this season.

Honestly, can’t complain too much, doesn’t look too terrible in terms of travel, we only go to Perth and Adelaide once and play the two lesser teams from both cities. Double ups against rubbish teams like the Hawks, Pies, North and Suns. Shame we don’t play Carlton or Freo twice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back