NFL 2018 Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

True but of that 6.6m is dead money.
That still gives Arizona more cap room than the Giants have.

But the Giants can get another $16M if they trade Eli with a post june 1 tag

Doesn't help them much in FA this year though - the post-June 1 designation to spread out the dead money cap hit means that the cap space doesn't open up until then either
Giants have less money to spend then Arizona because of the higher draft pick causes then to have a higher rookie reserve.

MMQB's Peter King expects impending free agent Le'Veon Bell to "go to the highest bidder" and names the Raiders as a team to "watch" for Bell.

King doesn't do much reporting in terms of breaking news anymore, but he still has many connections throughout the league. The new staff in Oakland has been mum when it comes to Marshawn Lynch's future with the team, so Beast Mode could very well be one-and-done for his hometown Raiders. Oakland could use that money to go after a younger stallion like Bell, but he'll have no shortage of suitors should he reach the open market. It's going to be tough for the Steelers to use the franchise tag on Bell again this year since they have very little cap room at the moment. However, creating cap space is a relatively simple task.
Related: Raiders

Source: Peter King on Twitter

I'd be interested in opinions on which of the three free agents QBs at the Vikings will get the biggest contract during free agency - Bradford, Keenum, or Bridgewater.

All have risks associated with being signed, but being mid tier quarterbacks must be worth something.

The Vikings have $50 million in cap space but even then surely couldn't afford to sign two of them at market rates.

Depending on injury outlook Bradford could end up being tagged, but that would be dependant on Bridgewater signing a prove deal with the Vikings with big incentives in years 2 and 3 of a multi year deal.

Bradford getting a franchise tag? I'd say he wouldn't be worth it, but it wouldn't be the first time that he's swindled an NFL team out of millions of dollars more than he's worth (starting with his rookie contract and continuing on with ever subsequent one)

I have no idea what Teddy's market rate would be. I'm not sure I'd want a team to sign him to anything more than $10-12m over 1 or 2 years to prove that he has confidence in his knee and he can play to a level appropriate of a starting QB.

I still think that Keenum has the best shot of getting the most money, but it'll be a Mike Glennon type deal - 2 or 3 years at ~$15m/yr as a bridge to a rookie

I'd be interested in opinions on which of the three free agents QBs at the Vikings will get the biggest contract during free agency - Bradford, Keenum, or Bridgewater.

All have risks associated with being signed, but being mid tier quarterbacks must be worth something.

The Vikings have $50 million in cap space but even then surely couldn't afford to sign two of them at market rates.

Depending on injury outlook Bradford could end up being tagged, but that would be dependant on Bridgewater signing a prove deal with the Vikings with big incentives in years 2 and 3 of a multi year deal.

I'd go Keenum and Bridgewater.....Official reasoning....Keenum has proven he can start, let them take their time with Bridgewater, good for the Vikings if Bridgewater wins the starting job and if not Keenum isn't the worst starting option around by a long shot.

All depends on how the contracts are structured more than the click bait overall contract values....if the Vikings can get "cut friendly" deals like the 49ers did with Kaepernick a few years ago, they could afford to cut one or both of them loose within a 2 or 3 year period.

Unofficial reasoning....how much more collateral in money and draft picks is Bradford going to cost a team for little return..for giggles it would be funny if he was franchised and another team signed him and Bradford cost even more 1st round draft picks.

Edit: Even more giggles, imagining Bradford getting franchised and the 49ers franchising Garappolo would see them both earning the same money in 2018

Is there even a QB on the Vikings roster you would feel happy about giving a long term deal to?

Bradford is on IR more than the practice field, Keenum had 1 good season, and Bridgewater hasnt played in 2 years.

If you were going to pay for a QB to push the team over the next bump into a Superbowl i would pay for Cousins or Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kirk Cousins is on the market. He'll get paid by someone. You'd think the Broncos, Jets and Browns would all be interested in acquiring Cousins.

Can add the Cardinals to the list too .
They will get $14M from Palmer retiring and another 3 by cutting AP.

but might not have enough money unless they have him sign for low money for 2018 and have the big money start from 2019.

Which is why they will likely go for Keenum and draft someone.

If the Jets want Cousins, no one will be able to match their offer.

One FA I hope the Packers are looking into strongly is Trey Burton from Philly. Would be a strong chance to start for the Packers and wouldn't be incredibly expensive.

I could see us retaining him as Celek is more likely to be cut/retire. He is such a talented ST player and a good receiver in limited time on the field. And we do value our ST very highly.

They will get $14M from Palmer retiring and another 3 by cutting AP.

but might not have enough money unless they have him sign for low money for 2018 and have the big money start from 2019.

Which is why they will likely go for Keenum and draft someone.

If the Jets want Cousins, no one will be able to match their offer.

I hope Maccagnan doesn't do that. In my view, Cousins is a top 15 QB but there's nothing to suggest that he'll make it into the top 7-8. Yeah, you can win a Super Bowl with a top 15 QB but you need a lot to go right (especially on defence). I would prefer the Jets use its first round pick on a QB with the potential to exceed Cousins' output. However, if Maccagnan isn't confident he could land his preferred QB in the draft, then he will probably roll out the red carpet to Cousins and make him an offer, sign McCown on as a veteran backup QB and Hackenberg becomes the third string QB (which leaves Petty out in the cold).

What lends credence to the scenario of Jets signing Cousins is that the Jets' new OC, Jeremy Bates, worked under Shanahan when he was head coach of the Broncos and Cousins met Bates when Bates was the QBs coach in Chicago. Interestingly enough, Cousins just heaped a lot of praise on Bates overnight.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/30/kirk-cousins-really-likes-one-thing-about-the-jets/

Some of Cousins' quotes sound like a bloke wanting the Jets to make him an offer he can't refuse.

I could see us retaining him as Celek is more likely to be cut/retire. He is such a talented ST player and a good receiver in limited time on the field. And we do value our ST very highly.
I agree you guys will try very hard to keep him but I imagine we could probably offer a higher salary and being the number 1 TE.

I'd love to sign Jarvis Landry but I know that won't happen.

Paul Richardson and Allen Robinson would be ideal but also won't happen.

It will all depend if we believe that Taylor Moton can replace Norwell and Vernon Butler can replace Star. If we believe they can we will have enough cap room to go after a Robinson or Landry.

Personally I'm hoping we go after Robinson, we cut Stewart and we draft and lead running back (along with a safety) in the first two rounds.

It will all depend if we believe that Taylor Moton can replace Norwell and Vernon Butler can replace Star. If we believe they can we will have enough cap room to go after a Robinson or Landry.

Personally I'm hoping we go after Robinson, we cut Stewart and we draft and lead running back (along with a safety) in the first two rounds.

What type of contract do you think you guys will offer Norwell?

Perfect fit for Indy if we can get him... exactly what we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back