NFL 2018 Head Coach/ OC/DC & GM News

Remove this Banner Ad

Jets fire offensive coordinator John Morton.

I'm surprised, as I thought he did the best he could with the talent available, but rumours have emerged after the season that he rubbed a number of the players up the wrong way. Rich Cimini wrote an article earlier this week detailing that the Jets allowed 19 fourth quarter sacks during the season (second most in the NFL, behind the Cardinals, which allowed 22). Although the offensive line is bottom half in the league, the numbers suggested that the Jets often used only five pass-blockers in the fourth quarter, so there was no scheme adjustment from the OC to combat the high rate of sacks. The Jets also lacked a power running game (averaged 3.27 ypa on carries up the middle, ranked 30th overall), though the Jets were more successful running outside the tackles (averaged 4.75 ypa, ranked 18th overall). This is a combination of bad offensive line play and mediocre running backs. However, the Jets were ranked 30th overall for play-action passes with 66 in the season (in contrast, the Vikings had 139 play-action passes, to rank first overall).

The rumour mill suggests the Jets are interested in hiring Haley as the OC, or they may promote the QB coach, Jeremy Bates, who apparently is well-liked in the locker room.

Agree Morton very stiff , given what he had to work with I thought he did a pretty good job.

New York Post reports that Morton repeatedly clashed with players, head coach Todd Bowles and other assistant coaches. The Post also reports that is failure to establish a running game, a failure to make in-game adjustments and a perception from players that everyone other than wide receiver Robby Anderson was an afterthought in the game plan all contributed to Morton getting the chop.

The Post reports that the timing of Morton's firing with the Steelers dismissing Todd Haley is purely coincidental and while Haley will be considered for the role, the Jets do not yet have a preferred candidate, with QBs coach Jeremy Bates, Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin, Lions QB coach Brian Callahan, former Chargers head coach Mike McCoy and Eagles QBs coach John DeFilippo all possible candidates.

Apparently the Jets wanted Oakland to hire Morton away from them but when Gruden went in a different direction, the call was made to fire Morton.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/17/the-behind-the-scenes-reasons-for-firing-john-morton/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ive-coordinator-john-morton-article-1.3762767

Steelers promoted QBs coach Randy Fichtner to offensive coordinator.

This was the expected move after the Steelers let Todd Haley's contract expire. Haley and Ben Roethlisberger seemed to detest each other, while Ben apparently has a strong relationship with Fichtner. A Steelers assistant since 2007, Fichtner had served as QBs coach since 2010. He knows the offense inside and out. Neither personnel nor scoring points were a problem in 2017. Although Haley remains somewhat underrated as an offensive mind, Roethlisberger and company shouldn't miss a beat under Fichtner.

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Steelers promoted QBs coach Randy Fichtner to offensive coordinator.

This was the expected move after the Steelers let Todd Haley's contract expire. Haley and Ben Roethlisberger seemed to detest each other, while Ben apparently has a strong relationship with Fichtner. A Steelers assistant since 2007, Fichtner had served as QBs coach since 2010. He knows the offense inside and out. Neither personnel nor scoring points were a problem in 2017. Although Haley remains somewhat underrated as an offensive mind, Roethlisberger and company shouldn't miss a beat under Fichtner.

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

I’m sure I watched a movie once called Randy Sphichtner. Brings back memories

Jets want to jump on Haley?

Crash landing anticipated... Haley seems to rub many the wrong way. Good luck getting some co-hesion going.

Lot of finger pointing coming from the Steelers this year. Ben's been trying to get Haley fired since the loss to the Pats.

Not saying he's wrong, but surely the type of things he had been dropping to the media is best off kept in house.

Tomlin is losing control, seems to me like the tail is wagging the dog.

Colin 'the bible' Cowherd is all over this issue like stench on a monkey..

I don't think it's as clear cut as you want to claim 'losing control'... Loose with discipline is all he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Texans DC Mike Vrabel to coach Tennessee Titans next season.

That's an interesting one.

Didn't exactly set the world on fire last season as the Texans DC. He must be one hell of a leader/people person.

I hope for his sake, and Mariota's, that he's got some good connections to build a good offensive staff (presumably through BB and Urban Meyer) that can develop MM or Vrabel will be gone soon too

Should of been the Texans HC.

No thanks

That's an interesting one.

Didn't exactly set the world on fire last season as the Texans DC. He must be one hell of a leader/people person.

I hope for his sake, and Mariota's, that he's got some good connections to build a good offensive staff (presumably through BB and Urban Meyer) that can develop MM or Vrabel will be gone soon too

[/QUOTE]

Weird one. Would have thought Mularkey was gone because they wanted to bring someone in to help MM. They instead get a defensive minded coach with little experience.

A simple quote for a simple man...Shannon not Dixie.

Who said Crennel got demoted? A year ago O’Brien took over play calling duties on O. So with less time, he promoted Crennel to Asst HC. Vrabel went from LBs to DC. So Crennel oversaw all three facets of the game including big input into D.

Plus goes without saying the injuries we had on D, certainly can’t blame Vrabel or Crennel.

Why would you demote your DC after season they had... and why make him DC again a year later?

Shannon Sharpe gets paid for saying the s**t he says....none of my business I guess

Jake Peetz expected to be named Josh McDaniels' OC at the Colts. Only has quality control experience and one year as a QB coach in Oakland on his resume. If that's the best he can come up with, McDaniels should stick to being an OC himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back