Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those sides the last few years have drafted and waited ..then added needs based talent. But as soon as they hit the top the atrophy begins again. Then they are forced to also do what Hawks and Cats and Sydney do. Treading water but thereabouts. And then the next wave comes surging from the bottom 8.
Collingwood have topped up from the bottom and West Coast have come from nowhere without 3 of their best players and without a midfield.
It's a chook raffle

Possible 22 for 2019
If trades go down as discussed or how I would like this would be my team for 2019 and my preferred replacement by year end colour coded:

B Plowman, Rowe, Byrne
HB Marchbank, Weitering, Docherty
C SPS, Shiel, O'Brien
HF McGovern, Charlie, Dow
F Polson, Harry, Murphy
FOL Kreuzer, Cripps, Fisher

Interchange: Simpson, Walsh, Kennedy, Cuningham

Depth
Defense - Macreadie, Jones, Williamson, Lamb, Thomas, Schumacher, Small defender
Midfield - Ed Curnow, Lang, Mature Midfielder
Ruck - TdK, Lobbe, Phillips,
Forward: Small Forward, Kerr, JSOS, BSOS, Pickett, Wright, Casboult, Garlett,

I think I may have one too many on the list so wouldn't be disappointed if Casboult or Phillips was traded or even Jones to help with our trade for a gun midfielder (Shiel etc). Still not convinced we will get Shiel so Lang or Ed would be best 22 if we don't pull this coup off.

Would like a mature midfield from the state league or better yet Setterfield, Scrimshaw or Brodie if SOS can work his magic. If so then maybe they would push Ed or Lang out by year end.

I would like to think Macreadie may be able to push Rowe/Jones out but maybe Bolts/SOS aren't convinced with whispers about Collins?

If we can snaffle a small forward with a priority state league pick then Polson would struggle to keep his spot - see this as a gap at present and also think a lock down small defender is required as Byrne may not be the answer.

Anyone got an idea to plug the small forward gap?
Anyone think Macreadie can play that KPD role?
I keep wishing Cuningham can make it and injuries were his only issue - am I dreaming?

Mods - feel free to move to a trade thread if there is one more appropriate.

A clear message coming from Carlton fans over social media and this forum is get Walsh. So working on the assumption the majority of the football world want Lukosius, we should not be simply handing him to Pick 2. Gold Coast and Adelaide have both been extremely vocal about getting the big man through the doors, Adelaide have also commented about getting Rankine. I would not be taking Walsh pick 1, get some extra value on the pick and still get Walsh. Right now, that has to be through a trade with Gold Coast, so scenarios below play out. However, with their desperation to get senior bodies, wouldn't surprise me to see that pick move - Adelaide could get it if McGovern chooses Gold Coast (unlikely). Obviously the risk here is Walsh still goes one, and the hottest prospect in over a decade falls to pick 2 for us - not the biggest loss if we have also gained value on the trade from Pick 1 to 2.

Conservative:
Trade Pick 1, 25 and fringe player to Gold Cost for pick 2 and 12. See how much they want the big man?

Aggressive:
Trade Pick 1 and Weitering to Gold Coast for Pick 2 and 3. Gives them a marquee player at each end to build around. Throw in fringe players if they want them.
Trade pick 2 or 3 to Adelaide for Pick 7, McGovern and Betts.
Get Walsh with the other pick. Turn 1 and weiters in to Walsh, McGovern, Betts and pick 7.

Would also highly entertain trading one of McKay/Kerr/TDK if you got value - highly unlikely you would, but see if Brisbane/Freo or St Kilda would be interest in parting with their top pick. (Brisbane and Freo and outside chance)

Tempt Geelong with Kruezer and see how much they want to go for a flag with this current midfield, big weakness is ruck! First rounder or flounder without a ruckman. With a third rounder try and tempt Reilly O'Brien or Pruess as a long term number 1 ruck.

Most will baulk at trading any of our young key position players, however good list composition would have us getting rid of 3-4 talls this window at a minimum. Considering we are likely to get McGovern and Silvagni in, that becomes 5-6. If you can get value in a position where we have some relative strength, it is about list management and not purely a decision based on one player.

Fact is, our forward line will be built around Curnow and McGovern for next 10 years. Most teams don't have three talls, considering both these two are agile type talls we will have another tall with that set up, and they will likely play as a second ruck. I have confidence all three of McKay, Kerr and TDK can play that role, all bring something different to the table in that regard, with different strengths and weaknesses. Don't believe we need three of them fighting it out for that spot, so if you could get value for one, would be silly not too (Add B.Silvagni to that list if we draft him as a KF). In 2019, we will likely have 4 players minimum fighting for that 3rd tall spot, and in some games, conceivable none of them play - get the value now.

Backline we will build around Marchbank, for me we have plowman, rowe, Jones and Weiters, Williamson fighting for 2 spots, with a few others a chance in that role as well. (McGovern could also come in to the picture here)

If you got value for Weiters/Jones or Plowman, again you would have to consider it.

Most will disagree with the second half of this post, however it has the potential to catapult the rebuild.
Yeh nah

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jimmae, Arr0w, Soapy V, TerryWallet, I noticed Jeremy Finlayson is on the market. Bundle him up with Setterfield for a future 2nd. Thoughts???
Would want to push Rowe and/or Jones out the door to get that done, but great insurance against Macreadie's development.

Good insurance against Adelaide being dickheads too.

Am I the only one thinking the timing of the John Nicholls Medal for this season is a bit odd?

In years gone by the night was always mid September or even late September if we managed to make the finals, but this year......October 5th?.........it's not like we couldn't book the venue until we were out of the finals or anything!

In the past we've always had a re-signing or some other uplifting news to announce to the faithful on the night....and we could use some more of that this year more than any other.

October 5th.......same date as the opening of the free agency window!

Coincidence?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Get rid of heart and soul for a 2nd string midfielder........great way to devoid a club of culture.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

1) shiel is not second string
2) look at hodge mitchell lewis trades
3) ive acknowledged the love for K already

We arent Richmond dude. Stop acting like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put Agresta to work...pick 24 and 25 for 12 - Syd get a few more points for Blakey. Have a crack
at Gresham...if not go to draft.

The rest as rumoured.

Byrne Weiters Plow
Doc Marchy Simmo
Walsh Cripps Seton
Krooze Shiel Dow
Murph CCurn Gresh
McGov McKay Fish

LOB Kennedy Willo ECurn/pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol you sound like an absolute fool.

1) shiel is not second string
2) look at hodge mitchell lewis trades
3) ive acknowledged the love for K already

Get a grip and stop reading into things that arent there. Your indignation is completely unjustified.

We arent Richmond dude. Stop acting like it.
And yet look how many agree with him ? ...me included ..so best you stop name calling and settle down

And yet look how many agree with him ? ...me included ..so best you stop name calling and settle down
Lack of understanding. The trade proposed that I agreed with was unrealistic value for Kreuze.

If someone offered 125 first round picks for Cripps I'd do it too. As would SOS. Doesnt mean we dont love Cripps.

The post had nothing to do with hating on Kreuze, thats why the indignation is unjustified.

If you took the time to read and understand, you'd get it too.

Good size for a small forward and a great leap. Helps SPS having family around and vice versa!

Nice!
Haven't seen him play but sounds like a Liam Ryan type? Also 23 and he's been huge for West Coast this year, along with the emergence of Willie Rioli.

A desperate positional need...getting him for free through an AFL hand out pick would be great.

And that s why we are only short of a couple of seasoned skilled midfielders. Collingwood last night and at the moment west coast are showing the value of having capable tall timber in the forward line. I rate Charlie and Harry and in a couple of years if not next they would cause position headaches. We just need quality delivery and 50m entries.

Until our mid's mature we are wasting these valuable resources'.

Yep even this year there was a few games where Harry and Charlie were really causing trouble and looked like breaking the game apart...except with our poor midfield we couldn't get enough I50's or quality I50's to give them that chance.

Once they get more/better supply i can see them performing like West Coast's Kennedy & Darling double team and being a real handful.

Jimmae, Arr0w, Soapy V, TerryWallet, I noticed Jeremy Finlayson is on the market. Bundle him up with Setterfield for a future 2nd. Thoughts???

It’s a no for me. He’s a tall flanker type. We have Willo & Schumacher and maybe Scrimshaw or KK.

Handy player but I think we have bigger priorities.

IMO Setterfield is easily a future second alone

Yep because we're on facebook and popular opinion is all that matters.
Kreuze + a second for a gun mid is a great deal, which, when factoring in Kreuzes injury/health concerns is unlikely to be acceptable for GWS.
I'd argue that Hodge was at least as integral to the Hawks as Kreuze has been to us, the Hawks didn't fall into a heap following Hodges departure & there's no guarantee that we would if Kreuze moved on either,
Ultimately players come and go, you just have to back the club to get the right culture in place so that 1 or 2 people do not make a massive difference.
Now can we all take a deep breath? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back