NFL 2018 NFL Draft - 27/04/2018 [No Twitter Spoilers]

Remove this Banner Ad

If jackson declares could 5 qbs go in the top 15?

Qb needy teams in the top 15 are browns, giants, broncos, jets, cards and washington if cousins hits free agency. (Although if cousins leaves washington it will be to one if the teams above youd think).

Purely hypothetical..

Rosen- giants
Darnold -browns
Broncos- mayfield
Jets- jackson
Cards-allen

Any chance that happens? ( forgetting the who goes where part) it doesnt look a good enough class to merit 5 qbs going 1st round let alone top 15...still its a crazy qb led world.

I think you could argue that Darnold, Allen, Jackson and Rosen deserve to be top 15 picks for various reason.

So its a bit different to 2011.

RIP Baker

I would have thought Allen would have been your boy. Too mobile?

Mayfield is not even my type of QB...but he looks the most pro-ready, the most pro-looking to me. The way he buys time, moves around a la Rodgers in the redzone and finds TDs, the way he has such touch on all his passes, and very accurate deep.

Whereas Rosen is too robotic and technical, too clean, and predominantly spread one read. He is clean with all the short dinky stuff, but deep he's erratic. He'll be good, but he never really faces much adversity.

Allen is over-rated, as I said before, too much like Foles to me.

Darnold is my QB tho. So Kenny Stabler about him. Sure, he struggles, and has some bad games, but he's always under much adversity in the pocket with that s**t OL of his. He reminds me also a lot of Phillip Rivers. Tough no-nonsense, moves around a little, and tries to heave the ball downfield often.

Lock is my other personal favorite, but he'll need a bit of time developing. He needs to learn the pro-style, and to be more pocket-aware, but he has very good deep touch/accuracy.

I don’t understand how being robotic and technical is a knock on a QB
He's too programmed. When things break down, it therefore throws off his game, he doesn't know how to respond to chaos. He requires a clean pocket, and a safe dink-n-dunk offense, his comfort-zone. But having seen some games where things break down, it unsettles him, he becomes errant/erratic.

Could be another 2011 draft where a few QBs get take early just because they are QBs, not because they deserve it
At least the top end of that class is playing well
When osweiller is the best of the qbs taken in the first two rounds from 2012 you know that's a dud draft ;)

He's too programmed. When things break down, it therefore throws off his game, he doesn't know how to respond to chaos. He requires a clean pocket, and a safe dink-n-dunk offense, his comfort-zone. But having seen some games where things break down, it unsettles him, he becomes errant/erratic.
You really think that Darnold is a more accurate passer than Rosen???

Rosen’s arm is incredible. That USC UCLA game showed the gap between the 2 QBs

Mayfield is not even my type of QB...but he looks the most pro-ready, the most pro-looking to me. The way he buys time, moves around a la Rodgers in the redzone and finds TDs, the way he has such touch on all his passes, and very accurate deep.

Whereas Rosen is too robotic and technical, too clean, and predominantly spread one read. He is clean with all the short dinky stuff, but deep he's erratic. He'll be good, but he never really faces much adversity.

Allen is over-rated, as I said before, too much like Foles to me.

Darnold is my QB tho. So Kenny Stabler about him. Sure, he struggles, and has some bad games, but he's always under much adversity in the pocket with that s**t OL of his. He reminds me also a lot of Phillip Rivers. Tough no-nonsense, moves around a little, and tries to heave the ball downfield often.

Lock is my other personal favorite, but he'll need a bit of time developing. He needs to learn the pro-style, and to be more pocket-aware, but he has very good deep touch/accuracy.
Interested to know what in Allen reminds you of Foles? I've watched nearly every game of his in the last two years (including every one in 2017) and although I'm quite bias toward him, I definitely don't see the similarities that you seem to have noticed? I don't like comparisons but his strength and ability to hit a receiver on the turning route reminds me of Stafford rather than Foles.

I'm also a big fan of Lock for what it's worth. I need to watch a couple more Mizzou games but the two games I saw, his throwing motion is beautiful to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF are you on?
Facts
Yeah yeah, you have Russell Wilson in the 3rd round
But who else from that draft played better than osweiller this year?

You really think that Darnold is a more accurate passer than Rosen???

Rosen’s arm is incredible. That USC UCLA game showed the gap between the 2 QBs
I didn't say Darnold was more accurate than Rosen. But Rosen has games with shocking throws, can't even hit screens and those short out routes, miscues passes when perturbed. Darnold isn't more accurate, but he makes some amazingly ballsy throws. He's constantly under pressure, he moves around a lot, always has eyes downfield for vertical routes, tries to make things happen a lot more. Basically like what you see from Phillip Rivers, under pressure, he awkwardly moves around, a guy might even be draped on him, or he stands tough and gets whacked. Someone like that, when they flourish under constant pressure, USUALLY means when there's a clean pocket they'll go off. Whereas QBs like Rosen who operate mostly with short quick reads, and seldom hit around during a game, when things go awry, chaos, pressure, they struggle to swim in that environment.

Again, Rosen is good. Not saying he's a bust, just that I don't rate him as highly as Darnold just for that reason. Otherwise the both of them are very good. They have their pros and cons. I just like Darnold's cons more than Rosen's cons.

Interested to know what in Allen reminds you of Foles? I've watched nearly every game of his in the last two years (including every one in 2017) and although I'm quite bias toward him, I definitely don't see the similarities that you seem to have noticed? I don't like comparisons but his strength and ability to hit a receiver on the turning route reminds me of Stafford rather than Foles.

I'm also a big fan of Lock for what it's worth. I need to watch a couple more Mizzou games but the two games I saw, his throwing motion is beautiful to watch.

When I say he reminds of Foles, that's not a knock on his ability. Just mean more passing mechanics and general mobility in the pocket, mannerisms. I don't see Stafford at all. In fact, you could say Darnold also resembles Stafford. Allen being so tall therefore harks to other QBs who are similarly tall. Allen has a laser arm, and reads the play well. Just he's also too cumbersome in the pocket, he isn't as athletic as Wentz and Trubisky. He's more Glennon+Foles in his mobility. He can move around a LITTLE, but mostly he operates well with a clean pocket and time to throw, but when pressured, he isn't as nimble as Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen. He is a bit too slow, and doesn't have as quick reflexes laterally as those guys. So when pressure comes and he tries to move about, he's pretty slow and his wind-up is slow too. I can see him getting flustered with a troublesome pocket in the NFL, having faith in his arm, to just fling it because he'll know in the NFL, the defenders are much faster, and so he'll try at first moving around, but soon realize he can't, and be forced to hurry himself up and just fling it when pressure comes he can't avoid. But he's a good prospect. A Flacco/Foles type of 6'6" QB. Not the Osweiler/Lynch type of 6'6" QB.

I don't see Roethlisberger or Wentz in his mechanics and mannerisms. But Foles. That doesn't mean he's inaccurate or can't read the field well like Foles, just that that's the best reminder of his mechanics/mannerisms.

Another aspect I like to see, is how well or badly QBs do against top competition, teams ranked higher than them....also big games....also when they're behind on the scoreboard and whether the QB can rally a team back, win or lose, or if they just capitulate (as a QB). Darnold has that fight in him, same with Mayfield.

Anyway, here's some games to showcase the things I say I like about Darnold... (can see stafford/rivers in him)

And a game where the team gets pounded, under so much pressure, and how well he maintains his form thruout the game, tho they still get pounded...

And obviously the classic rose bowl game from last year...

These two games for some of what I say I see in Rosen...

Had no idea how lucky he was in that 4th qtr comeback on the game vs texas.

How we wasnt intercepted on the td that moved them to 44-31 is beyond me.

On the td that then made it 44-38 he threw a prayer ball into 2 on 3 coverage that lckily hit thw ucla receiver...

Finally on the drive where they win it..that battled ball that didnt get picked...how.

Very luxky the aggies secondary has soap in the hands in that final qtr

Thats because most of the ranked teams Faker would of played were Big12 teams. and defense is optional [but not recommended] in the Big 12 other than TCU. and even TCU dont show up on D half the time.

You could of had the same stat for Johnny coke head.

I do hope the Giants get stuck with him. Him and OBJ would be an amazing way to watch a franchise implode, even better if they keep Apple and move Jenkins on.

Thats because most of the ranked teams Faker would of played were Big12 teams. and defense is optional [but not recommended] in the Big 12 other than TCU. and even TCU dont show up on D half the time.

You could of had the same stat for Johnny coke head.

I do hope the Giants get stuck with him. Him and OBJ would be an amazing way to watch a franchise implode, even better if they keep Apple and move Jenkins on.
See
Is it a case of the offences so good because the defences are bad, or because the offences are impeccable

Team avg score vs big12 d avg score vs other p5 d
Kansas - 14.33 - N/A
Baylor - 24.11 - 20
Texas Tech - 30.78 - 52
West Virginia - 32.89 - 19
Texas - 25.44 - 32.67
Kansas state - 29.78 - 21
Iowa state - 26.11 - 41
Oklahoma state - 43.67 - 44.5
tcu - 28.40 - 33.5
Oklahoma - 44.10 - 39.5

All - 30.10 - 32.88

The big xii did better vs other p5 schools than vs each other.
So I ask
Is it the offences are all so good, or that their defences suck?
On average other p5 schools scored less on the big xii schools than the big xii schools did on them.

I just go through the big xii schools.
6 are spread concept schools with a shitload of passing off the top of my head, maybe even more. So they'll naturally put up a lot of points.
This would then force teams to use base nickel or even dime defences. So those who might go more on the ground have a leg up as defences won't have continuity playing 4-3 defence.

It's a chicken or the egg question (which I have the answer for btw. ;) )
Are defences s**t because the offences are good, or because they're s**t. The answer is the offence is good, creating the illusion defences are s**t. How did the sec cope with Texas a&m and Missouri when they first came over? Texas a&ms scoring went up by a touchdown behind a freshman. Qb.

Mayfield was very impressive in the rose bowl..

For my two cents he showed to me he can be a strong nfl qb.

Running out of reasons for him to not be viewed as a top 10 qb..outside of the character/arrogance concerns. But you could probably put them on rosen too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back