Play Nice 2018 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think soccer fans are just happy that after the stinker/negative last season and expecting the wheels to fall off, 3 clubs got a higher crowd than they got all last season (including the Nix) and 2 got higher than last season average. Yes its only Rd 1 but its good signs. And quality of games was decent too.

TV ratings are shite yes

Last edited:
I think soccer fans are just happy that after the stinker/negative last season and expecting the wheels to fall off, 3 clubs got a higher crowd than they got all last season (including the Nix) and 2 got higher than last season average. Yes its only Rd 1 but its good signs. And quality of games was decent too.

TV ratings are shite yes

But the big money in sport these days is in the TV.

But the big money in sport these days is in the TV.
i must remember that when you start bagging the NRL as a dying sport.

But you are right when you say the big money is in broadcasting. But that doesn't mean you cant make money from matchday or commercial ventures.

TV is also the most competitive market, not helped by the fact that soccer and basketball have much better leagues easily watched nowadays. Only the top of the line leagues get huge broadcast money.

Bit early to call the season a success at this stage. I still feel it is going to be a long one and a flattening or decline in ratings/crowds. But things should improve afterwards with all that drama in the FFA lvl sorted and hopefully a clear goal for the future regarding what shape the league should take in the future.

Soccer telecasts in Aus include any number of European Leagues - any idea of the TV $value of these deals Bobbi?
only the premier league off the top of my head. roughly $50-60 mil a year paid by optus.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/optus-sport-extends-premier-league-rights-opens-up-sports-platform-20180501-p4zclv.html

The other leagues would have to be of small value in the Aus market. But of course, they are at the top league in their respective "home" marketplaces. https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...opens-up-sports-platform-20180501-p4zclv.html

only the premier league off the top of my head. roughly $50-60 mil a year paid by optus.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...opens-up-sports-platform-20180501-p4zclv.html

:thumbsu:
I was surfing on Fox & there seemed to be plenty on the Sports channel, someone pays for that content.
Are the viewers of these channels the soccer devotees that dont embrace the A-league, the kids we see wearing Man U or Juventus & alike tops?

As a motorsport fan, many of these fans embrace F1 only, or the local Supercars ... when you follow international sports, its reality.

Soccer telecasts in Aus include any number of European Leagues - any idea of the TV $value of these deals Bobbi?

Optus pay $50M a year for the EPL rights which is about the same as what foxtel pays for the A League rights (including contra).

SBS paid FIFA $20m for the Russian and Qatar world cups.

Optus recently purchased all of UEFA's content (champions league, europa, european cup etc). I can't find what they've paid but I suspect it would be for substantially less than the EPL rights.

Other leagues would be command very little from Australian media

I reckon, at the absolute most, you would be looking at $150M a year total for all soccer rights but probably closer to $125M

Optus pay $50M a year for the EPL rights which is about the same as what foxtel pays for the A League rights (including contra).

SBS paid FIFA $20m for the Russian and Qatar world cups.

Optus recently purchased all of UEFA's content (champions league, europa, european cup etc). I can't find what they've paid but I suspect it would be for substantially less than the EPL rights.

Other leagues would be command very little from Australian media

I reckon, at the absolute most, you would be looking at $150M a year total for all soccer rights but probably closer to $125M
Foxtel has all those rubbishy soccer channels as obligatory add ons to the sports package for $1.00 (chelsaetv etc). Reality is, the world is swamped with soccer, and there is massive financial concentration in a small number of comps. I cannot see the A-league ever getting significantly more in TV rights in Australia then the EPL gets in Australia.

Foxtel has all those rubbishy soccer channels as obligatory add ons to the sports package for $1.00 (chelsaetv etc). Reality is, the world is swamped with soccer, and there is massive financial concentration in a small number of comps. I cannot see the A-league ever getting significantly more in TV rights in Australia then the EPL gets in Australia.

The A league are also stuffed because Fox have no real competition. They can't afford to go to an Optus for example, even if they had a better offer because it just takes the sport far too out of the mainstream. I think they actually got a bloody good deal out of Fox

Demonstrates how disingenous is the comparison of the A-League with AFL &/or NRL.

Demonstrates how disingenous is the comparison of the A-League with AFL &/or NRL.

The A-league puts itself out there as a national competition bounded within the Australian geographic region. They compete for the same participants, crowds, sponsors, tv and pay tv viewers, stadium usage, broadcast rights and government funding. Its ludicrous to suggest they cant be compared. Soccer has had 120 years to get a grip here, it was even the first code to a national competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The A-league puts itself out there as a national competition bounded within the Australian geographic region. They compete for the same participants, crowds, sponsors, tv and pay tv viewers, stadium usage, broadcast rights and government funding. Its ludicrous to suggest they cant be compared. Soccer has had 120 years to get a grip here, it was even the first code to a national competition.

Compare by all means, but on this thread it is disingenuous.
Its not as if the AFL Grand Final is compared with the World Cup, ie the pinnacle of both those sports, or have I missed such comparisons, not that I'd take any notice given that its a ludicrous comparison.

Its not as if the AFL Grand Final is compared with the World Cup, ie the pinnacle of both those sports, or have I missed such comparisons, not that I'd take any notice given that its a ludicrous comparison.
It is ludicrous, but that doesn't make the A league comparison ludicrous, it just makes it a bad comparison.

Domestic comp to domestic comp is a valid comparison, 2 club team domestic final to a major multi national multi year international tournament is not.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

We can and do compare World Cup and other socceroos matches to AFL finals, the same way we do State of Origin.

This is a "Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc" thread in the "The Footy Industry" sub-forum on an Australian football forum

People are discussing the crowds and ratings of the A League in that context

The discussion here has either focussed on the round 1 crowds - which most people have said were pretty good - or focussed on the TV ratings - where the discussion has accurately suggested they are somewhere between bad and disastrous compared to previous seasons and in the context of the generous coin the FFA is receiving from foxsports

I don't know why the likes of Kwality keep lurking around this forum if the very discussion offends him

& its disingenuous, not candid.

Rubbish.

The fact that you think the AFL is comparable in any way to the largest sporting event of any football code in the world - a multi-national event featuring national representative sides from each code - events which the AFL is noticeably lacking in - is somewhat bemusing.

Rubbish.

The fact that you think the AFL is comparable in any way to the largest sporting event of any football code in the world - a multi-national event featuring national representative sides from each code - events which the AFL is noticeably lacking in - is somewhat bemusing.

The comparison is of the pinnacle of both sports, not a 3rd or 4th tier soccer comp with Aussie Rules at its very best, now that is disingenuous, just as slagging off AFL or NRL would be by comparing it to a World Cup final.
Drawing a line around Australia as a justification is an example of disingenuous commentary.

Be sure I dont consider a World Cup final as directly comparable with an AFL Grand Final anymore than I do AFL footy with the A-League.

The comparison is of the pinnacle of both sports, not a 3rd or 4th tier soccer comp with Aussie Rules at its very best, now that is disingenuous, just as slagging off AFL or NRL would be by comparing it to a World Cup final.
Drawing a line around Australia as a justification is an example of disingenuous commentary.

Be sure I dont consider a World Cup final as directly comparable with an AFL Grand Final anymore than I do AFL footy with the A-League.

You're very confused

The comparison is not and has never been about which sport is at its pinnacle, except for people who wish to use it as an excuse when it suits them. The comparison is about australian national sporting leagues.

The market availability in every sector - that is australian participation, australian tv viewing, australian broadcast access, australian members, australian sponsors and australian stadiums - is available to all codes in this country, and can be used to measure its progress or lack thereof against its other national peers.

Soccer as a code has been played in Australia since the 1870s. It formed a national competiton before any other code in the last 1970s. It has the highest participation of any sport in the country. Its had plenty of time to mature.

Comparison between AFL and A league is valid, as like it or not, they are both players in the same business in the same market. Seasons not overlapping gives each breathing room, but they still compete for hearts and minds, and wallets in the same market.

Major sports sponsorsship for domestic sport is finite. The appetite for tv networks for expensive domestic sport is finite.

The number of potential elite juniors that can start down sporting pathways is finite.

When the A league is in the market for major sponsors, they have to make the case, why invest in us, and not cricket, or AFL or NRL. In this argument it is ALL about comparisons between domestic sports codes, and nothing at all to do with what is happening anywhere else.

The one thing the A league has hopefully learnt, that you have not, is, it's ALL about the A league, and its place in Australia. The world cup, the EPL, the FFA, none of them give the A league the right to a thing, not a sponsor, a tv deal, viewers, fans, nothing.

Every football code is obsessed about comparisons between Australian leagues on their fan boards.

Even on FFT where they continually point out that the AFL is tiny compared to world soccer, when they make comparisons to chart how things are progressing, it's always between the domestic leagues.

So if comparing AFL to A league is a disengenuous act by footy fans, why do soccer fans do it?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back