2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks, Lions and Geelong went 0-2 meanwhile Carlton and the Suns went undefeated. Reading anything into wins and losses in JLT would be a mistake imo.

Yeah who knows. We could finish first or last or anywhere in between. There's literally no way of knowing for sure. Nobody could possibly have any idea of how well we will perform this year.

Not sure if this belongs in the Preseason thread, but we have a really tough first 10 weeks. When is the draw going to reflect our ladder position?

I saw someone do one of those points rankings for everytinh considered, and we were 8th most difficult.

where is our Carlton, North, Freo, bombers at home or something like that in the first 10 weeks?

GC start with North, Carlton, Freo.

Our draw never seems to under go much manipulation to give us a reasonable start like other lowly finishing teams int he last 5 years.

Not sure if this belongs in the Preseason thread, but we have a really tough first 10 weeks. When is the draw going to reflect our ladder position?

I saw someone do one of those points rankings for everytinh considered, and we were 8th most difficult.

where is our Carlton, North, Freo, bombers at home or something like that in the first 10 weeks?

GC start with North, Carlton, Freo.

Our draw never seems to under go much manipulation to give us a reasonable start like other lowly finishing teams int he last 5 years.
While I don't disagree, when you win the spoon sadly everybody you play at the start of the next season will have been above us and considered tricky opposition!

Setting myself up for a massive fail here but I'm confident of being very competitive against the Saints in R1 at least, then R5 and 7 are against Suns and Pies (both at home), both of which are very winnable so it's not completely inconceivable we could make a 3-4 start to the season.

While I don't disagree, when you win the spoon sadly everybody you play at the start of the next season will have been above us and considered tricky opposition!

Setting myself up for a massive fail here but I'm confident of being very competitive against the Saints in R1 at least, then R5 and 7 are against Suns and Pies (both at home), both of which are very winnable so it's not completely inconceivable we could make a 3-4 start to the season.

Yeah I still think that the first 10 weeks is hard overall. Would just love to have GCs first 3 weeks for example or the Pies draw which is widely viewed as a great draw - just think we arnt top of mind when the AFL manipulation occurs and haven't been the last few years - for example they NEED GC to do ok this season, thus their draw reflects that.

Though youre right, you just have to play your opposition and hope to improve.

Ps - love your optimism but 3-4 - youre dreaming :)! 2-8 after 10 would be possible - then hope to capitilse on a softer draw in the back end of the fixture (which we have EVERY year). Still could get our 7-8 wins.

Ps - love your optimism but 3-4 - youre dreaming :)! 2-8 after 10 would be possible - then hope to capitilse on a softer draw in the back end of the fixture (which we have EVERY year). Still could get our 7-8 wins.
I've been drinking from the optimism fountain this morning!

With young teams I think it is about building a bit of momentum like we finished last year with. If we beat/compete well with Saints then put up a genuine fight against Demons, Tigers and Power we should be right. If we lose badly to Saints and get belted by the likes of the Tigers and Power then when we get to the more winnable games we are lacking confidence and less likely to get a positive result.

The second half of the year certainly looks the kinder part of the draw though for sure.

We can beat Melbourne.
Yeah I'll be heading to the Gabba in Round 2 against the Demons thinking that we can win.
Yeah I think our early season home form will go a long way to determining just how much we improve in terms of wins and losses specifically. It would be great to be able to think of home games as a genuine advantage again as it hasn't really felt like it for a while.

Yeah I'll be heading to the Gabba in Round 2 against the Demons thinking that we can win.

We have 6 visitors from Canada that are coming with us to this game. Hoping for an exciting win so don't need loads of amber anaesthetic and can enjoy the evening with them.

Assuming no major injuries I’d put us favourites against the Suns both times and at home against both Carlton and North.

Collingwood at home and North and Carlton away would be 50/50.

Hopefully with a couple of upsets we can manage 7-8 wins. If we could get 8 wins that would be huge.

Assuming no major injuries I’d put us favourites against the Suns both times and at home against both Carlton and North.

Collingwood at home and North and Carlton away would be 50/50.

Hopefully with a couple of upsets we can manage 7-8 wins. If we could get 8 wins that would be huge.
A confidence boosting start against the Saints would be a great help.
And would give the supporters a lift before the first home game. Would be great to have a buzz around the Gabba again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I still think that the first 10 weeks is hard overall. Would just love to have GCs first 3 weeks for example or the Pies draw which is widely viewed as a great draw - just think we arnt top of mind when the AFL manipulation occurs and haven't been the last few years - for example they NEED GC to do ok this season, thus their draw reflects that.

Though youre right, you just have to play your opposition and hope to improve.
GC also don't play at home til after the bye, have back to back games in Perth and a trip to China. Sure they play North first up but a game in Cairns during the wet season could be anything.

I think Hipwood, Cameron, Christensen and Rayner will all perform to a higher standard on the fast, dry track that is Ethiad Stadium if selected against the Saints as I expect them to be. That ground suits their game styles.

I had another look over it, and I suppose it isn't too bad.

Every year we finish with Carlton, North, Freo (or something to that effect) in the last 4 games, would be nice to set the season up a little earlier is all.

Saints and Melbourne is an ok start to the season.

Port, Rich, GWS, Dogs (away), Swans in an 8 week period (up to round 10) is what I was looking at and made me post.

But overall, there are some winable games, just need to start beating the Hawthorns or the world and the draw becomes a lot more palatable.

I've been drinking from the optimism fountain this morning!

With young teams I think it is about building a bit of momentum like we finished last year with. If we beat/compete well with Saints then put up a genuine fight against Demons, Tigers and Power we should be right. If we lose badly to Saints and get belted by the likes of the Tigers and Power then when we get to the more winnable games we are lacking confidence and less likely to get a positive result.

The second half of the year certainly looks the kinder part of the draw though for sure.
I'm drunk on that fountain , I have us penciled in for a win against the Demons , Gold Coast and the cold pies.
No real theory just optimism, and I reckon our mad optimistic ways are going to be right one day:shoutyoldman:.

I overdosed on the fountain. I count five genuine winnable games in the first ten.

It'd also be nice to pop up and win an unlikely.

Start as favourite:
Gold Coast @ G

Winnable:
Saints @ ES
Dees @ G
Pies @ G
Hawks @ G

Unlikely:
Richmond @ MCG
Dogs @ ES
Swans @ G

As hard as they come:
Port @ AO
GWS @ SPO

HAVE to start winning at the GABBA!

In the HUN....David King has said we have the best young list in the AFL, time for them to start showing it.

That would be nice Kingy (I hate agreeing with this man!)

Well we're ****ed now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back