2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Libba would be a great get to help rectify our poor contested work. Very unlikely to happen though.

And a pick 12 (Fogarty) who we wouldn't have taken.
This comment is seriously questionable.

It's no secret the Lions recruiters had a list of kids for the draft, that was shown at the Lions Melbourne draft function. What was noticeable was the number of kids not rated/ranked because they were considered a flight risk or risk due to health.

Fogarty was ranked 5th on our recruiters draft list, so it is questionable if our recruiters considered Fogarty a flight risk.

It's no secret the Lions recruiters had a list of kids for the draft, that was shown at the Lions Melbourne draft function. What was noticeable was the number of kids not rated/ranked because they were considered a flight risk or risk due to health.

Fogarty was ranked 5th on our recruiters draft list, so it is questionable if our recruiters considered Fogarty a flight risk.

For the sake of accuracy, it was 6th.

Fogarty was in the mix for pick 1 earlier in the year and there was talk of him being a flight risk. We already didn't have pick 12 when that list was made, we may have taken him at 17 but it is no coincidence he went to a SA team. Wasn't just us who passed.

Fogarty tanked the U18s I'm almost certain of it IMO of-course. Could have played AFL as a 17 year old. I know he was injured but still managed to play games which suggests his injury wasn't as bad as people are making out.
He played well the two early NAB Academy games and a couple of early SANFL games. But was crap in the S.A. U18 trial games, where news of him carrying a knee injury first publicly emerged. Was crap during U18 Championships, and then had surgery after the U18 Championships. People knew he was injured, just the extent of the injury was unknown.

I'd be worried more about who we selected with pick 1. Brayshaw looks an absolute gun.
Of all the draft prospects we've selected over the past 15 or so years since the premiership days Rayner would be up there amongst the least I'd be worried about. Going to be a great player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be worried more about who we selected with pick 1. Brayshaw looks an absolute gun.

Pleasssssse. R u serious ? Give Rayner a chance,only 18 years old. Lets chat in a few years from now who is better,not after just two JLT games.

I think worried is overkill. But the top 10 post JLT is looking far better than the analysts gave them credit for.

Im stoked with Cam, but I agree that it looks like he may have some strong competition around him in terms of still being number 1 in 5 years time.

He extended by three years though, that in its self is a huge tick, cant wait to watch him this year.

Sizey mate you’ve been shouted down

It's bound to happen though. Every year the top few are debated of each draft. Nothing I said is tripe lol. Sensitive flower petals around here gosh.

One sensible response and two fairly crappy responses is a pretty low threshold for being "shouted down". It's a large part of why I just read usage of that term as "I'm upset someone has a different opinion to me".

Brayshaw is going to look good from the start. He is a well rounded mid who will impact early and it is easy to see why we were pretty keen on him as well. Rayner is an elite talent, and whilst i actually preferred Brayshaw over Rayner simply because he was a more pure mid, Rayner has potential to grow into something special.

The Dusty comparisons are there, so let's use that for the moment. Dusty was always a talent, but it has only been very recent that he has really become a more full midfielder. I think it might take just as long for Rayner, but like Dusty he is going to be good at HF until then.

Fast forward 5 years and Rayner probably has a breakout year, spending more time in the middle and is the absolute cream on top of our rise up the ladder. We do still need more mids though as Zorko and Beams are probably gone by this time. Berry is going to be a very big cog in our engine room, Matho will take over the pest role from Robbo. Rayner and Hugh will be class around the ball. Through in 1 or 2 more high end mids and we are looking good.

FWIW i still really like Walsh this year. Think he has a good ability to go in when it is his turn and get the ball, handball a bit sloppy but can improve. But he is well balanced as an inside/outside mid like Beams. Hugh/Berry/Walsh/Rayner combo sounds good to me.

One sensible response and two fairly crappy responses is a pretty low threshold for being "shouted down". It's a large part of why I just read usage of that term as "I'm upset someone has a different opinion to me".
I don't think Billy was serious, more an echo of past "shouted down" claims.

I see Aaron Vandenburg is coming off contract this year. Might be a cheap pickup if he recovers from his injuries. Could play the Tom Lynch (Adelaide) role for us. Is also strong around the contest.

I see Aaron Vandenburg is coming off contract this year. Might be a cheap pickup if he recovers from his injuries. Could play the Tom Lynch (Adelaide) role for us. Is also strong around the contest.

Who?

The guy who will be 27 before next season, was a rookie pick and has played 26 games would be a cheap pickup.

On the plus side I saw the Academy match Lions v Suns yesterday at Coorparoo and although the Lions just lost they had a number of tall forward options taking set shots from beyond the 50 metre line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back