2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If Dogs v Crows is not full they should abandon Ballarat.
North will pass 10k no probs.
Go will fudge the figures and post a crowd of 10,088.
not sure about that. The shorter sell time hurts. Melbourne haven't turned up this year, so you can't expect their fans will care. The average for Melbourne at Blundstone is 13,273 with 2 games in 16 and 17.

I think it will be just on the limit(around 10.5K), helped by the fact it should be a sunny Saturday Afternoon.

Mars Stadium Ballarat only holds 11,000 but it dosent seem to ever sellout which is pathetic in a town of over 110,000.I think this experiment has been an abject failure and should be abandoned.The Dogs would get many more at the Western Oval if the same amount of money was spent on it.

Last edited:
Mars Stadium Ballarat only holds 11,000 but it dosent seem to ever sellout which is pathetic in a town of over 110,000.I think this experiment has been an abject failure and should be abandoned.The Dogs would get many more at the Western Oval if the same amount of money was spent on it.

The government aren't going to pay them to play games in Footscray.

It's fine to say the people of Ballarat should go, but I don't see why. They'd mostly follow other teams, it's not that far from Melbourne and the standard of amenities in Melbourne would be significantly better than Mars stadium. You're a Collingwood fan in Ballarat - why would you go there?

What it does show is how few Dogs fans are prepared to travel to Ballarat. It also shows why they always threatened to play home games in Geelong but never actually pulled the trigger - they probably knew they'd get bugger all people showing up given it's roughly the same distance from Melbourne.

The government aren't going to pay them to play games in Footscray.

It's fine to say the people of Ballarat should go, but I don't see why. They'd mostly follow other teams, it's not that far from Melbourne and the standard of amenities in Melbourne would be significantly better than Mars stadium. You're a Collingwood fan in Ballarat - why would you go there?

What it does show is how few Dogs fans are prepared to travel to Ballarat. It also shows why they always threatened to play home games in Geelong but never actually pulled the trigger - they probably knew they'd get bugger all people showing up given it's roughly the same distance from Melbourne.

The AFL blocked us from Geelong not the Dogs thinking they wouldn't get people there.

The issue in the now is the cost on top of regular memberships with limited capacity.

Last edited:

If we get 100k to the MCG that’s literally 0.02% of the Melbourne Population.
If we get 10000 to Ballarat that’s literally 10% of their population.
Wouldn’t be so hard I’m Ballarat as yet.
Not many cities or towns around the world would get 10% population to games.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t usually defend Launceston but the population of Launceston is approximately 100,000 and the average Launceston attendance (since 2001) is 15,443

Of course a significant amount of that crowd probably comes from the greater Tasmanian area (plus Melbourne)

Nonetheless it’s the same with Ballarat I guess

Actually 100k is 2% of Melb population.

If we get 100k to the MCG that’s literally 0.02% of the Melbourne Population. ...
If Melbourne literally had a population of 500 million (that's half a billion), you would be literally correct. Let's go with 2% of 5 million instead.
... If we get 10000 to Ballarat that’s literally 10% of their population. ... Not many cities or towns around the world would get 10% population to games.
OK - best not mention Green Bay then ... or even Launceston.

Robs comments above re Ballarat fans of the various Melbourne clubs and Geelong travelling regularly to watch them is spot on. Also, Mars was the wrong stadium IMO to redevelop - to far from the train train station and in one of the coldest windswept parts of a cold city. Eastern Oval would've been much better. Then again, Bendigo, being a bit further from Melbourne and slightly bigger still and with better weather, would've been better still - but I guess the politics (the stadium was nothing more than a marginal electoral bribe by the State Gov't) dictated that Ballarat got the nod.

Fwiw theres standing room tickets only, which greatly reduces the target audience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try Alice Springs with a pop of 29,000!

If Melbourne literally had a population of 500 million (that's half a billion), you would be literally correct. Let's go with 2% of 5 million instead.
OK - best not mention Green Bay then ... or even Launceston.

Robs comments above re Ballarat fans of the various Melbourne clubs and Geelong travelling regularly to watch them is spot on. Also, Mars was the wrong stadium IMO to redevelop - to far from the train train station and in one of the coldest windswept parts of a cold city. Eastern Oval would've been much better. Then again, Bendigo, being a bit further from Melbourne and slightly bigger still and with better weather, would've been better still - but I guess the politics (the stadium was nothing more than a marginal electoral bribe by the State Gov't) dictated that Ballarat got the nod.
You are spot on in every respect!And a great successful regional club North Ballarat no longer exists.

Official MCG predictions are up. 83k for Ess/Coll and 60k for Rich/Bris. Both would be great crowds and I reckon both can creep a bit higher than the prediction.
Will be interesting to see how the predictions will go. Both Saturday and Sunday games were 10K higher than the prediction.

Will be interesting to see how the predictions will go. Both Saturday and Sunday games were 10K higher than the prediction.
The MCC have lost the plot with their predictions the last 8-10 weeks.
Weather permitting I think the Richmond V Brisbane crowd could surprise on the upside as it basically is a potential GF dress rehearsal.. it will bring along a big neutral walk up so in all honesty 65,000 is achievable.

Stadium Comparisons 2018 V 2019 (Part 1)

Docklands:

1,291,670 (45) (2018)
1,370,604 (43) (2019) +78,934
Gabba:

208,522 (12) (2018)
272,146 (11) (2019) +63,624
Manuka Oval:

35,054 (3) (2018)
35,651 (3) (2019) +592
Marrara Oval:

8,689 (1) (2018)
10,634 (1) (2019) +1,945
Showgrounds:

95,988 (8) (2018)
99,291 (8) (2019) +3,033
Tragear Park:

6,989 (1) (2018)
7,164 (1) (2019) +175
York Park:

50,312 (4) (2018)
55,668 (4) (2019) +5,376

Last edited:
83000 seems high for essendon vs collingwood

It's a tough ask with Essendon not really able to improve their position too much nor miss out altogether but the weather forecast seems ok, Collingwood have it all to play for and the AFL Members is already sold out, so let's hope for a big one.

It's a tough ask with Essendon not really able to improve their position too much nor miss out altogether but the weather forecast seems ok, Collingwood have it all to play for and the AFL Members is already sold out, so let's hope for a big one.

GA for Friday is Q1-Q3 only...

I know its 4 days out, but given its an Essendon home game it will need an almightly Essendon turnout to get 80,000 plus wouldn't it?

It’s an interesting one. Essendon may not go at this 110% so will their supporters feel this and watch it on TV? According to the MCG website, only 3 bays in the GSS are available for GA (Q1-3) on the night which indicates strong pre sales. You’d think it will get close to or just over 80,000. Depends on the MCC and reserved seat holders... And whether the Essendon supporters in the MCC / EFC away reserved seat holders decide to show up in large enough numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back