List Mgmt. 2019 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to move on from Daniher, this is going to cost far to much. If he’s there next year as a free agent we are miles ahead. If not no drama there are other elite players in the AFL we can target.
Also topping up with more highly talented top end draftees can only be good, in Dalrymple we trust.
Absolutely. I'm amazed that we've heard nothing about Sier. The Pies haven't signed him and he'd be perfect for a few teams including us. I wonder if there are other issues with him that we don't know about.

Need to move on from Daniher, this is going to cost far to much. If he’s there next year as a free agent we are miles ahead. If not no drama there are other elite players in the AFL we can target.
Also topping up with more highly talented top end draftees can only be good, in Dalrymple we trust.
The problem is that a big fish takes 12-24 months of work, so unless we have been into someone else for a long time then it will be Daniher or nothing this trade period.

Jenkins scores from over the back junk goals. Poor mans Sam Reid.

Does nothing defensively in forward half.
IMO that's only because he fell out of favour with his coach. His form over the last few years is excellent. Jenkins is a gun and will cost very little. He's averaged about 40 goals a season over the last several years. We'd be crazy to not at least look at him.

I find it odd that there is no mention of inside mids or KPD or Ruck. I like Daniher (if price is only a bit over) and Atkins, Taylor OK but don't seem to fit need. Is it possible they think Naismith back and some time for kids and we are OK?

Probably doesnt wanna come to Sydney?
This is what I'm thinking aswell, Sier is too good not to look at for our list, and seems to be out of favour with the pies, but yet we hear only about knight and Taylor. I feel we have probably talked to him and he has stayed firm that he wants to be at Collingwood.
I'm just sure that everyone in the swans would know how good of a pick up he could be.

IMO that's only because he fell out of favour with his coach. His form over the last few years is excellent. Jenkins is a gun and will cost very little. He's averaged about 40 goals a season over the last several years. We'd be crazy to not at least look at him.
I would agree - if we needed another big forward in any way shape or form........(looks at list).......nuh.

Gosh, all this political nonsense is rather distracting.
Instead of talking about something frivolous, like who is going to rule the most powerful country, we should be talking about the really important things.
We should be talking about how we messed up with Tom Mitchell.

Feels like uncovered ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot understand that there are some around here who dont believe daniher is a superstar
Daniher was a super star before Ostitis Pubis. His brother D'Arcy had to retire because of it. His value depends on whether his Osteitis Pubis can be managed. If it can't he has no value. If it is going to be chronic but manageable then he has some value. If they can cleanit up ethen he is super star value.

But it all depends on these factors

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Daniher was a super star before Ostitis Pubis. His brother D'Arcy had to retire because of it. His value depends on whether his Osteitis Pubis can be managed. If it can't he has no value. If it is going to be chronic but manageable then he has some value. If they can cleanit up ethen he is super star value.

But it all depends on these factors

I don't think Ostitis Pubis was a superstar. Sure, he drove a mean chariot, but hugely overrated.

I feel like a lot of people forgot something super important when it comes to Papley.

We're paying massive under.

Let's say that he is being offered 600 and we are paying 300, we are under paying him by 300. This means that even if we trade him for an equally good player, we lose 300 in our cap space.

I think this should be built in when talking about draft picks, since the draft pick should make up for losing papley and 300 over the next 3 years.

I feel like a lot of people forgot something super important when it comes to Papley.

Let's say that he is being offered 600 and we are paying 300, we are under paying him by 300. This means that even if we trade him for an equally good player, we lose 300 in our cap space.

I think this should be built in when talking about draft picks, since the draft pick should make up for losing papley and 300 over the next 3 years.
No. Carlton would pick up the $300,000. We have $300,000 more in our salary cap. If we don't do that deal we are idiots

This is where I think we're at currently. When you've got kids like Blakey, Rowbottom, McCartin, bell, Ling, Foote, McInerney coming through with the likes of Dawson, melican, Hewett, Hayward, ollie, Lloyd, aliir, Heeney all primed to take that next step just in behind a few of our more experienced players, we really are set up in a very measured and balanced way. Now we finally have the oppertunity to rack up some high picks over the next couple of years with pick 4, possible pick 9, and then a couple of future academy guns next year. That could be the beginning of a gun midfield. Instead we're thinking of wasting 2 of those picks on Daniher.. for what?? We're no where near contending yet, plus he would be taking up huge cap space along with voiding 2 high draft picks. I don't see the logic. Sticking with kids would also give us the oppertunity to save our cap space and resign these kids accordingly. If we were able to keep papley going down that route aswell would've been amazing.

Kind of against bringing in Taylor or knight etc aswell. Would just take the Game day spot of our kids whilst providing us with average performances like Thurlow and Clarke. We lucked out with mattners and mcglynns with that policy. Hasn't worked in a while. Deadset just go to the draft. I think we need to brush aside the romance of trades and free agents, they're struggling for games for a reason. We seem to forget that every AFL player actually comes from the draft to begin with, so there's no reason why a trade for a fringe player should bring more excitement than a draft prospect.

Last edited:

The average AFL wage is $371k.

What makes you think Papley is only getting $300k?

I think you have just pulled a number out of the air.

You don't know what we are paying him. You don't know what others would pay him. You don't know we are paying him "massive unders".

Pretty sure he will go, though I do hate to lose him. It's not our style to hold him, and if we can get a bid from North for him then Carlton will have to match or beat it. I think him being a great young fwd/mid AND a great clubhouse presence by accounts he is very much worth a top ten pick.
I liked the idea someone put of Papley and 25 for this year's 9 and next year second. It gives Carlton room to make a move on another target and gets us our straight top ten pick pretty much.

No. Carlton would pick up the $300,000. We have $300,000 more in our salary cap. If we don't do that deal we are idiots

I'm talking about the fact that he is worth x amount and we are paying him less. This means he is more valuable. Put it this way, the same player on 700 is worth 200 than the same player on 900, so papley is worth more because he costs less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back