Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad we spent the money on Gibbs and Jenkins rather than Lever and Charles. Great list management there.
Agree, though I would’ve preferred to have kept Cameron and McGovern at the time.

I’d had a gut full of the circus surrounding Lever by the time finals series started.

Though tbh, I didn’t complain at all over the Gibbs trade

He doesnt know who Donald Fisher is. Thats great news. It means he wasnt brain washed as a kid to watch Home and Away. Although Fisher hasnt been on it now since 2007 so Macasey would have been 5 so its no wonder he doent know him.

You, on the other hand, seem to know a disturbing amount about it...? :p

You, on the other hand, seem to know a disturbing amount about it...? :p
That is exactly right. Thats what I am saying. I was one of those kids brain washed by my older siblings to watch all these soaps. And all though I know how crap they all are I am still watching them 35 years later
:)

Glad we spent the money on Gibbs and Jenkins rather than Lever and Charles. Great list management there.

Spending that money on Lever would have been as bad as Gibbs had been. A real s**t sandwich regardless of what path we take.

Now Charlie. That's a real what if, even though I am not going to be too critical on us being hesitant. Jenkins also was pretty good value for the most part. Just too long of a contract, especially with our window ending up prematurely due to incompetence.

Way to add to the canon of knowledge that advances understanding for us all

I really don’t get people who just consume other people’s content, add nothing of their own, and then complain that they are not being sufficiently entertained. By others content

how about checking your ******* entitlement and saying something worth listening to

Just caught up with some friends whose eldest boy played a lot of junior footy with Fischer. They all know the family well. Reckon there's some doubt about him staying in Adelaide. Family are close and keen for him to be in Vic. When I asked what his best assets were, first answer was 'crashing packs', second was 'great kick'. They reckon he's a quiet lad, not vocal, but a leader in the sense that he has a presence that other players gravitate towards and tend to follow.

That was it really. Nothing earth-shattering but I thought I'd share.

Just caught up with some friends whose eldest boy played a lot of junior footy with Fischer. They all know the family well. Reckon there's some doubt about him staying in Adelaide. Family are close and keen for him to be in Vic. When I asked what his best assets were, first answer was 'crashing packs', second was 'great kick'. They reckon he's a quiet lad, not vocal, but a leader in the sense that he has a presence that other players gravitate towards and tend to follow.

That was it really. Nothing earth-shattering but I thought I'd share.

The parents of basically any player that moves interstate would want them home.

If we have our culture in order, hopefully Fischer sees a future at the club

The parents of basically any player that moves interstate would want them home.

If we have our culture in order, hopefully Fischer sees a future at the club
Well, the actual words were 'no chance' he'll stay in Adelaide :( But yeah, like you, I'd hope that's just separation pangs and the club has proper processes to settle these young guys into a new environment. We'll see, I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it’s that definitive surely it would have been conveyed to our recruiters and they would have steered clear.

If it’s that definitive surely it would have been conveyed to our recruiters and they would have steered clear.
Maybe trying to guess how people will feel in 2, 3 years time is just too hard so it's not part of the equation we look at

Does he have a long term Melb girlfriend though? :rolleyes:

Well, the actual words were 'no chance' he'll stay in Adelaide :( But yeah, like you, I'd hope that's just separation pangs and the club has proper processes to settle these young guys into a new environment. We'll see, I guess.

If we value our young players for once, unlike for the last decade and a half, then maybe he'll want to stay.

We can't be the only club that loses young players

Actually has 2 long time girl friends, which really makes it hard

I mean for him to stay here but yeah
Well rankine and lukosius signed on at GC and if ever there were 2 lads that industry thought were going to cut and run it was those 2..and add ben king to them in that same conversation. I think the key will be valuing fish and the other youngsters and ensuring the culture is right..oh and also making sure the contracts are good and long

If we think he's good then get him on a long term deal early

If we need to wait and see how he goes before deciding if he's worth it then by the time it dawns on us it will also have on every other club too. He'll have other offers to weigh up next to ours.

Can't do that with every draftee of course but you can with some. Comes down to our ability to see the future and judge talent.

And Brent Reilly didn't
What do you think the key difference is? I think one of them was an AA squad member as a 21 year old 195 cm key defender leading the league in intercept possessions per game - and the other one was Brent Reilly

The only reliable pattern is that decent players (Reilly Douglas Mackay etc) stay and stars + potential stars leave; ie anyone who receives a good financial offer leaves.

The McAsey family’s view may be shaped by the negative perception of our club. Camp and cover up. Riley Knight “general soreness” lie because we didn’t want to take the PR hit of another hamstring. Etc. As a caring parent you would be concerned for your kid entering that kind of toxic culture.

Fix the reality and hopefully that will improve retention, including of the stars + potential stars who have good offers coming from elsewhere.

If we think he's good then get him on a long term deal early

If we need to wait and see how he goes before deciding if he's worth it then by the time it dawns on us it will also have on every other club too. He'll have other offers to weigh up next to ours.

Can't do that with every draftee of course but you can with some. Comes down to our ability to see the future and judge talent.
Has that worked out for clubs that have tried it? There are a few cautionary tales.

It feels like an admission that our retention of good young players is approaching Gold Coast levels.

I don’t mind the Jones and McHenry contracts but I wouldn’t to go longer than that.

Anyway I doubt we will have cap space. Sloane Walker Lynch Smith Laird Crouch Crouch Gibbs Talia Brown and others will have locked up lots of money.

Milera Jones McHenry Doedee Fogarty need to be paid if they prove worth it

Still paying Jenkins and Betts

Won’t be much room in the next couple of years.

Back