Politics & Government 2019 Election: Australia's Shame

Who are you voting for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we still blaming Queensland for a total lack of leadership, vision & ideas on behalf of Shorten & Labor?
Thought it was pretty much the opposite. Their big ticket policies were what scared voters away. Libs barely proposed a thing during the campaign.
It's a shame, means we'll just see shitter campaigns from both parties now, because they'll be to afraid to propose anything.

Anyway, I guess the pollsters need to find a new way to operate. It would seem the demise of the landline makes it harder for them to get a truly representative sample. At least 8ne positive to come out if this is Sportsbet would have lost a heap of money.

Hope those rednecks enjoy their Adani mine.When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.

The melts over this election result won't be as good as the 2016 US election, but I'm already seeing some breakdowns on Facebook and Twitter over this.

Is the world ending?
Yes.
People keep voting for the side that wants to wreck the environment for money

A good world is ending, yeah. Climate change won't be magically reversed.

Ah well, there's always next year.

So Tone got the flick too? That's gotta be win/win for Scott. No more Cartman on the backbench who's convinced himself that the victory was actually all his doing.

Looks like a swing to ALP in my seat. Thought the Greens would've made more impact there. They weren't far away last time. Different boundary this time though.

My only consolation is that Shelton sucked.

Only good thing about this is that Queensland will be among the first to get s**t on by climate change. More severe weather; drought and cyclones, rising sea levels, loss of the GBR and the large tourism industry that it drives. If this is truly what they want, then so be it.

Only good thing about this is that Queensland will be among the first to get **** on by climate change. More severe weather; drought and cyclones, rising sea levels, loss of the GBR and the large tourism industry that it drives. If this is truly what they want, then so be it.

Then the hand will be out for (more) government intervention and welfare without a hint of irony.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A depressing result for Australia's future really. Climate change, media and information literacy, actual policy, generational divide, etc. (the reason why many of us didn't vote for Coalition or their preferences) all treated with contempt by the result. A vote for complete apathy, and Morrison's effective dog-whistling to the far right.

Labor is screwed now. Just have no brand (even the Greens, Liberal, One Nation, etc. have this). Labor is bellwether-reliant in ways that the others aren't. Plibersek, Albanese and Bowen won't be the answer. I liked Bowen in 2013, but I think this result was as much a rejection of Bowen as it was Shorten. He just doesn't have it, hasn't developed leadership qualities. Both need to go. Ideally the likes of Plibersek, Andrew Leigh and maybe Jason Clare will be leading out their next campaign in some configuration. All the boomer Labor are done, Gen X/Y from here. A shame about Shorten, as despite his deserved RGR-unpopularity, he was able to connect policy. He just wasn't trustworthy enough to make the government pay.

I can understand why Morrison was voted in. I get it. He might last a long time. But this should've been a vote-for-change election. Political debate can only suffer.

I've voted for major parties in 5 federal elections now, and always voted for the losing party, so I was expecting Coalition to win last night.

Last edited:
The only real positive other than the salty salty tears of the usual suspects is people slowly waking up to the fact that the parties are made up of individuals and it's not just a two man popularity contest.

If you have a complete nuffy candidate then don't vote for them.

I can understand why Morrison was voted in. I get it. He might last a long time.

Good chance Scott Morrison is gone before 2022. When the surprise wears off, he's still leading a small majority or minority government. This is the third election in a decade where a Prime Minister was dumped but their party still won. Much as some journalists wish this were an aberration, seems like a permanent change to me.

Maybe Labor could've put a no Adani policy in their campaign.
Yes that would have done it, turned Queensland around no sweat.

The reality is we've got a lot of people that don't give a s**t about the environment because they won't be around for the mess and they want as much money in their pockets now and the libs were pretty good at telling them that Labor would take that money off them and make them poor.

The fact they believe that the libs won't do the same thing is the bit I don't get.

Good chance Scott Morrison is gone before 2022. When the surprise wears off, he's still leading a small majority or minority government. This is the third election in a decade where a Prime Minister was dumped but their party still won. Much as some journalists wish this were an aberration, seems pretty permanent to me.
I think this post fails to recognise how Morrison is able to effectively balance and connect the Coalition far rights and moderates as well as the average voter. A leadership spill won't have a leg to stand on, and Labor won't be pressuring them for a while. This election result means he'll be leading them for some time. Whilst there is a recent precedence of leadership challenges, Morrison will defy this.

Back