2019 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Way too small fry. A few disgruntled lions fans who wanted another melbourne game isn't going to factor in for them.

I'm a very passionate melb based lions member as well and frankly I couldn't care less whether we play 5, 6 or 7 melbourne games, i get just as much enjoyment watching from tv. I just don't think its a huge deal to most of our melbourne fan base.

As for umpires and MRP being issued directives to change the way they officiate based on the AFL's whims, I would put that on the same level as the moon landing conspiracy theory.

I agree about the ludicrous nature of claims of direct AFL interference, imagine if it leaked or there was a whistle blower (which it would as the AFL leaks like a siv), that the AFL had directly tampered with the system to allow a team an advantage over another? as if.

It's the same when people casually claim umpires are making calls to influence the AFL's agenda, like "the Umpire clearly carrying out AFL orders to make sure we don't win" etc.. that stuff is absolute garbage (flat earth level), as if the AFL would risk everything by tampering with the outcome of games to suite small side story agendas like... where finals are played or to get a Melbourne team across the line etc.

I'm a very passionate melb based lions member as well and frankly I couldn't care less whether we play 5, 6 or 7 melbourne games, i get just as much enjoyment watching from tv. I just don't think its a huge deal to most of our melbourne fan base.

Exactly.:thumbsu:

Times change, we move on and get enjoyment from whichever avenue enables us to watch our boys. (well some of us)

We're a merged club with direct ties to Melbourne via the merger with Fitzroy and an agreement which expressly states that a minimum of six games must be played in Melbourne, which quite easily could've occurred had we not been sent to that shithole in Ballarat.

Why shouldn't we be upset about the draw given the AFL were the ones that ****ed over Fitzroy over in the first place and forced us north. Therefore to satisfy the Fitzroy contingent, conditions were put in place, games in Melbourne, our colours, the Lions moniker etc. The club now can't just pick and choose what it wants, otherwise lets cut Fitzroy out of the club and the club can go back to being the Brisbane Bears.

No doubt that's what you, Swann and a number of others would be no doubt happy with. And if you don't, then respect the fact that we're a merged club with a very unique background that is representative of three lots of fans (Bears, Fitzroy and Brisbane Lions) in two demographics (Brisbane and Melbourne (via Fitzroy)). We aren't just an ordinary non-Victorian club, just like Sydney isn't, so respect should be shown to both clubs by scheduling as many games in Melbourne as possible. The difference between us and Sydney is that we actually have a written agreement in place stating that a minimum of 6 games must be played in Melbourne.

So excuse me for being negative by actually wanting what was agreed to in the first place when the Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy merged. I get that you, Swann and the club don't give a **** about respecting that.

Don't agree with everything you have said here as I am not too fussed about the 6 or 7 game thing. But I appreciate your passion and as a Fitzroy based Lions supporter, it's always good to have a voice reminding people of the clubs obligations to the Vic Lions Members.

You're a ball of fun aren't you. Negative about everything and anything.:rolleyes:

...at least you get to see our boys play, a lot don't including me. It's going to be easier for me to go to the game at Ballarat than going here in melb. My husband is not up to the riggers of going to a game these days, and I'm not going to go on public transport on my own, particularly at night. Going to Ballarat I'll be able to park at my daughters and she can drop me off or might even get her to come with me.

It's one game Dylan, seriously get a grip man. .....and don't dare tell me I don't give a s**t about my Lions and how things are with the club. I'm very happy with how the club is being run by Swann, Fages and co.......perhaps you need to refresh your memory with how things were at the club just 3yrs ago and further back. To be so critical of Swann is a disgrace......and I don't give a s**t what you think either buddy.

How could anyone dare forget about the merger agreement with you around.

"and don't dare tell me I don't give a s**t about my Lions and how things are with the club"

to be fair he said you you don't give a S*** about the plight of Fitzroy supporters.

and after reading some of your recent posts, it's hard to argue really. LOL

The clubs obligation to the Roys fans will always be there, they mention them all the time. How many times do they have to do that? I rarely hear my Bears mentioned, yet I know they haven't been forgotten by the club.....and I don't feel it necessary to be reminded every 5 mins that we merged our clubs together.

The club as it is now will always do their best to honour both clubs, so it doesn't faze me at all. I leave it to them, while I enjoy my team as they are now. I get on with life.

...and I don't see Fitzroy supporters after all this time as having a "plight" any more than the Bears fans do. Jesus, let it go you guys. All this because Dylan whinged about Ballarat and missing out on one game in Melb.

I originally responded to his put down of Ballarat, nothing more.

Last edited:
The clubs obligation to the Roys fans will always be there, they mention them all the time. How many times do they have to do that? I rarely hear my Bears mentioned, yet I know they haven't been forgotten by the club.....and I don't feel it necessary to be reminded every 5 mins that we merged our clubs together.

The club as it is now will always do their best to honour both clubs, so it doesn't faze me at all. I leave it to them, while I enjoy my team as they are now. I get on with life.

...and I don't see Fitzroy supporters after all this time as having a "plight" any more than the Bears fans do. Jesus, let it go you guys.

It's clearly different to have your team moved half a continent away than to have its nicknames and colours changed. I don't think you really believe Bears fans and Fitzroy fans have lost equal amounts.

The loss of my team still hurts and will always hurt. I'd like it to hurt less over time, but it doesn't really.

So I'm afraid I'm probably not going to let it go, now or ever.

...and I don't see Fitzroy supporters after all this time as having a "plight" any more than the Bears fans do. Jesus, let it go you guys.
Perhaps you Bears' fans may understand if the club's guaranteed 11 home games were in jeopardy and you only received 8 or 9 on annual basis.

Given the reactions round these parts, I've no doubt most fans wouldn't give a crap, because after all, you still get to watch them on TV.:rolleyes:

The fact that this "Melbourne issues" doesn't effect the majority, most simply don't give a s**t including the club led by Swann.

And to whoever said the AFL doesn't or can't manipulate the draw:

AFL fixture boss Travis Auld was asked if the league might one day repeat this season’s disastrous experiment, where Carlton was given four Friday night games. “Not based on the feedback we got, no,” Auld said. “There was strong feedback there. “We owned some of that last year when we released the fixture — it was a series of reasons, why we ended up where we did.

Collingwood has a whopping seven Friday night games, two more than any other club, while Essendon has four despite dropping out of the top eight this season.“When it’s a team like Collingwood — such a big club, such a big supporter base — you have to take advantage of that,” Auld said of the losing grand finalists. “There’s a lot of expectation around Essendon coming into next season and they’ve been rewarded.”
Yep, the AFL has no influence over the draw whatsoever despite a clear example where it admitted it does influence the draw.:drunk:

I rarely hear my Bears mentioned, yet I know they haven't been forgotten by the club....

The Bears are the Club. The Brisbane Lions were founded in 1987. By and large, since they rebranded in 1997, the Brisbane Football Club have done a pretty good job in preserving the Fitzroy identity in the AFL competition. That's why I support them and will continue to support them (unless they do something stupid like changing the jumper again). That debacle in 2009 certainly made me question my support of the club.

Understand some frustrations about the Melbourne issues and number of games but that is no reason whatsoever to try and stick the boot into Brisbane-based supporters or claim we couldn't give a stuff about Melbourne issues.

I was pretty devastated myself when the merger happened because the Bears were just starting to come good after years in the wilderness and believe it or not some were quite attached to them, however partly due to the 3-peat I feel like a new history/legacy has been created that we can all enjoy.

Roy fans had their club moved across the country so I'd imagine that'd be tougher than what Bears supporters copped, I'd say.

Has anyone tracked the fixture since the merge and written down how many years we have gotten 6 Melbourne games?

...and I don't see Fitzroy supporters after all this time as having a "plight" any more than the Bears fans do. Jesus, let it go you guys. All this because Dylan whinged about Ballarat and missing out on one game in Melb.

I originally responded to his put down of Ballarat, nothing more.

Umm.. Brisbane still have the team in their back yard? so there is no comparison there, in terms of mentions. why would Bears fans have to whinge in a comparable fashion to Fitzroy supporters? LOL

I don't think the club mention it all the time, it is often up to us loyal Victorian fans to keep our voice heard, but I am not overly offended by that.

We have a plight, it was pretty much like a death in our family. We have to live with the fact we can't support a team with any geographical significance to our location and so do my children, it sucks. My kids are forth generation Lions and our team resides in Brisbane. Our passion for the club is so strong it is a legitamte discussion that we may move to Brisbane in the coming years to be closer to the Lions.

If occasionally, something like the draw hits a nerve with us Lions fans (which it didn't with me) then we are entitled to whinge about it on a footy forum without being told to 'get over it'.

Can you please point me to where we are always 'whinging' about it?

My response wasn't to you with regards to Ballarat, it was with regards to your offensive comments about 'moving on' and 'whinging' and 'always mentioning it' etc.

To be honest, regardless of how your rant started, some of the your subplots and comments (especially this post above) are s***house and I am totally happy to call you out on it. Cheers.

Understand some frustrations about the Melbourne issues and number of games but that is no reason whatsoever to try and stick the boot into Brisbane-based supporters or claim we couldn't give a stuff about Melbourne issues.

I was pretty devastated myself when the merger happened because the Bears were just starting to come good after years in the wilderness and believe it or not some were quite attached to them, however partly due to the 3-peat I feel like a new history/legacy has been created that we can all enjoy.

Roy fans had their club moved across the country so I'd imagine that'd be tougher than what Bears supporters copped, I'd say.

Has anyone tracked the fixture since the merge and written down how many years we have gotten 6 Melbourne games?

I think Dylan was responding to MacMum because she was quite openly spouting a bunch of anti-fitzroy rhetoric. Don't think there is a feeling anyone else shares her opinion, I don't that's for sure. The Bears Cares. That's my moto.

Interested to see where everyones' ladder predictors have us finishing. I have us at 9th, finishing with 11 wins.. which I feel is a bit high.

Games I have us winning are:

Round 3 - Port (H)
Round 6 - GC (A)
Round 7 - Sydney (H)
Round 8 - Dogs (A)
Round 10 - Fremantle (A)
Round 11 - Hawks (H)
Round 12 - Carlton (A)
Round 14 - St. Kilda (A)
Round 18 - Nth. Melbourne (H)
Round 20 - Dogs (H)
Round 21 - GC (H)

Full predicted ladder attached below.

View attachment 580766
Problem is, we'll win some games that as the underdog, and drop some games as the favourite.

I have probability pre-bye as follows: L L L L L W L D D D L W - where "draw" is a 50/50 shot. So I have us potentially going into the bye 5-7, which I'd be perfectly happy with, but also 2-10, which I wouldn't. Given we'll have at least a shot at the other games though, I think it's more likely we'll go in to the bye at about 5 wins.

Similar to last year, which some liked and some didn't (fair enough), here's my personal thoughts on our probabilities, which have us averaging 8.8 wins for the year.
upload_2018-11-2_14-13-30.png

Edit: Just realised that I have the Roos figures the wrong way around - it should be 20% away and 30% at home. Whoops. Ah well - totals work out.

You expressed my thoughts exactly. Was really pissed when first mooted cos the Bears were on the improve but more than happy in the long run. Always had a soft spot for the Roys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BTW, those media appearances were basically membership drives. No coincidence they both ended with plugs with how to join up. As if they're going to come out and say "it's all shite, don't bother people".

The day will come when these North-South arguments are forgotten about, but everyone who loves you will remember you were Lions; through and through. :footy:
Hopefully for the sake of this thread they end now

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Glad Greg Swann is happy about it.:rolleyes:

Oh really Greg?:rolleyes:

Great result Swann; are you out of your ******* mind; do you even know we're a merged club with the expectation of six games in Melbourne; not games in shitholes such as Ballarat and Launceston.

Clearly Swann has never bothered to read the merger agreement; completely ignorant comments in the Michael Bowers mold and obviously Swann has plummeted such depths. I knew he'd talk up this fixture and like clockwork, hasn't disappointed. Campaigner.

Stop kidding yourself Swann. The ground holds 11,0000 people, so who'll bother; I know I won't and I certainly wouldn't be taking the train or bus the club puts together to get there.

Go pat yourself on the back some more Swann, as you can see, most Melbourne based fans will be ecstatic.:rolleyes:

You could do a Crowd Funding page to get Foxtel. I'd donate 50c to it; if it means you stop bagging the bloke who has been integral in the re-emergence of Lions.

Great result Swann; are you out of your ******* mind; do you even know we're a merged club with the expectation of six games in Melbourne; not games in shitholes such as Ballarat and Launceston.

Launceston may be a shithole but it's Tasmania's shithole and you mainlanders need to cool it. Pray for me that I have to drive three hours on Death Highway towards said shithole to watch my team hopefully beat the Hawks.

Launceston may be a shithole but it's Tasmania's shithole and you mainlanders need to cool it. Pray for me that I have to drive three hours on Death Highway towards said shithole to watch my team hopefully beat the Hawks.

Hopefully? Lol. They're our bunnies now & they know it.

Btw, I have been down to Tassie a couple of times. The markers by the side of the highway that indicate where fatalities have occurred are rather macabre & to be honest a little distracting. Good luck on Death Highway.

Drive safely haystark. I feel a little warm & fuzzy that the Lions have friends in Tasmania. I'd be happy to play all our away games V Hawks & Roos in Tassie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back