Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have seen a few posts on Facebook about a Bruest/Melbourne trade. What would we have to get to make this worth it for us?
I'd want either a late first/ early second round pick instead of a player from Melbourne, especially as Bruest fills a big-ish hole in the Melbourne forward line and they think they're right in the mix for a premiership.
It's that time of the year again it seems... Breust isn't going anywhere

If he was going anywhere a late first or early second would not even get the conversation started. He has been one of the best small forwards in the competition for years now and still has plenty of football ahead of him.

Breust is a champion of the game & worth 3 first rd picks because he is an “elite” small forward that can’t be replaced...

Honestly, I threw up Breust to Melbourne in a hypothetical to trade up in the draft.
It isn’t necessarily a standpoint of mine but a point of discussion that can be had none the less regardless of how die hard & staunch the view.

IMO Breust is great at times just like everyone else. He is consistent enough to be labeled “elite” & deserves the accolades.

Breust to Melbourne is a pipe dream & would be a last resort avenue if the list was in a dire condition which it isn’t.

Debate & opinions are what I enjoy from everyone on this forum, even if they are polar opposites.

I would find it very amusing if there was a link somewhere of Breust to the Dees...

Breust is a champion of the game & worth 3 first rd picks because he is an “elite” small forward that can’t be replaced...

Honestly, I threw up Breust to Melbourne in a hypothetical to trade up in the draft.
It isn’t necessarily a standpoint of mine but a point of discussion that can be had none the less regardless of how die hard & staunch the view.

IMO Breust is great at times just like everyone else. He is consistent enough to be labeled “elite” & deserves the accolades.

Breust to Melbourne is a pipe dream & would be a last resort avenue if the list was in a dire condition which it isn’t.

Debate & opinions are what I enjoy from everyone on this forum, even if they are polar opposites.

I would find it very amusing if there was a link somewhere of Breust to the Dees...
Fair enough! I saw it on Facebook and I thought it was an interesting idea tbh; I think at some point we've gotta get some top end draft talent through our list and I agree that Bruest is potentially worth multiple first round draft picks. I think I'd be willing to let go for r1&2 this year and maybe a future first for him (plus a later order pick shuffle).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a somewhat related note -

Collingwood have done a great job in “rebuilding on the run” which is what we are trying to do. Everyone talks about how good Geelong have done this, well Collingwood have done it better!

Both played off in the 2011 grand final - Collingwood got back there last year, Geelong haven’t been back. I’m not sure Collingwood get their due credit for this.

What’s interesting is if you look at how they rebuilt the list, it is not that impressive (in the sense they didn’t nail every off season for the 7 years in between).

Basically two or three off seasons with astute trading (Treloar, Adams, Howe, Crisp, Varcoe, Greenwood, Hosking-Elliot), one absolute nailed 1st round selection (Grundy), (+ Stephenson last year) and some solid players picked up later in the draft (Langdon, Maynard, Philips)

The only players who played in both 2011 GF and 2018 GF were Pendlebury and Sidebottom.

I think it shows (again) that you don’t need a plethora of 1st round picks (Collingwood’s 1st rounders were actually quite poor through this period, decent prospects but haven’t worked out and weren’t part of the GF), and that you can build a premiership capable list/depth by getting things right for 2-3 years (essentially what we are aiming to do now).

Everyone talks about following the Geelong model but I think Collingwood have also shown how to go about it - we could learn a lot from their strategy.

What it probably also shows is that the intangibles (culture, values, motivation etc) along with coaching and fitness also play a huge role which is often overlooked when lists are analyzed (purely on talent). We know we can get these right, just need to make smart recruiting decisions over the next two offseasons with our full range of picks available as we head into it.
I don't know what your definition of 'rebuilding on the run' is. They didn't play finals for 4 years, and there is no way they would be where they are now without the access to high draft picks gained by their poor ladder position over a number of years. Had they finished around top 4 every year since 2011, they likely wouldn't have had the means to trade for/draft the likes of Treloar, Adams, De Goey, the list goes on. Geelong meanwhile are top of the ladder and also within reach of a flag, having missed finals once along the way.

I don't think either of these cases are recipes to follow, the path into premiership contention is always good club and player management tinged with good fortune.

Have seen a few posts on Facebook about a Bruest/Melbourne trade. What would we have to get to make this worth it for us?
I'd want either a late first/ early second round pick instead of a player from Melbourne, especially as Bruest fills a big-ish hole in the Melbourne forward line and they think they're right in the mix for a premiership.
First of all , NO! But if it’s on then pick 1-5 , any one of those numbers will do.

Another Wishlist of sorts

Hugh Greenwood
Brayden Sier
Jonathon Patton
Brad Crouch (if you could somehow pry him away)

This instantly fixes the midfield depth issues we have. Cousins is a goer but not at the level we require I don’t believe. Would be willing to part ways with Cuz and Howe as any 2 of the 3 mids named above are clear cut upgrades.

Still think Bennell would be a low risk / high reward acquisition.

Honestly haven’t seen enough of Sam Day to have an opinion. Think our backs are ok for another year or so.

Getting a strange feeling about Smith. We recruited Scully and obviously Henderson is in great form so that’s the wings sorted for a year or two (Henderson getting on in age). Smith was dropped from the leadership group and obviously his name has been floated on top of this.... is Whitfield as a free agent already sorted? 🤔

As I mentioned above I personally would also be open to trading Breust if it meant we got access to trading up to get our hands on Anderson but still keeping our pick for Dylan Williams. Williams could be the Breust replacement and is being touted as the most talented in the draft so I’m intrigued

Hill Brothers!!!
Stephen Hill is an RFA, and after a run of injuries he might just be open to a change.
Maybe we could get his little bro back too.
They would completely change our team and make us very dangerous again.

If we managed to get Coniglio ontop of that, it would change our midfield to be as good as any other.

Suns set their sights on Stephen Hill

Hill Brothers!!!
Stephen Hill is an RFA, and after a run of injuries he might just be open to a change.
Maybe we could get his little bro back too.
They would completely change our team and make us very dangerous again.

If we managed to get Coniglio ontop of that, it would change our midfield to be as good as any other.

Suns set their sights on Stephen Hill

He's a UFA. Even better.

Brad Crouch is a quality player but I'd be careful how much money I offered him, he's not great by foot, not really a goalkicker or fantastic tackler. What he can do is win lots of footy and clearances, basically I think he's a pretty poor mans Tom Mitchell, not that there is any shame in that. Durability has to be questioned also ? Hasn't he missed 2 full seasons in his career so far ?

Brad Crouch is a quality player but I'd be careful how much money I offered him, he's not great by foot, not really a goalkicker or fantastic tackler. What he can do is win lots of footy and clearances, basically I think he's a pretty poor mans Tom Mitchell, not that there is any shame in that. Durability has to be questioned also ? Hasn't he missed 2 full seasons in his career so far ?

Yeah, Crouch and Tom Mitchell wouldn't really work. Having too many same-ish midfielders would just weaken us.

Plus I've been somewhat reliably informed that if Crouch leaves Adelaide it'll be for Richmond who have made overtures before. Granted I was told that a year or two ago.

Ellis-Yolman good again last night, 26 possies & some good goal assists. 6x clearances & 4x tackles to go with it.

A tier below the ball magnets in that side but I love the way he makes room/time at the contest.

Getting an early second for Smith and replacing him with Stephen Hill would be pretty savvy. Opens up the possibility of regaining Brad Hill in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back