Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think by nominating, we have to take them, even if it’s just as a rookie. No nomination for Medhat isn’t too promising for him. I also don’t think the Cat B rookie list rule applies anymore - pretty sure that was a once off (could be wrong).

https://nabafldraftnom.com.au/images/form/booklet_mens.pdf

View attachment 582807
Nah it's in the latest copy of the AFL rules. Nominated players automatically become cat b rookies if not bid on in the main or preseason drafts.

I think by nominating, we have to take them, even if it’s just as a rookie. No nomination for Medhat isn’t too promising for him. I also don’t think the Cat B rookie list rule applies anymore - pretty sure that was a once off (could be wrong).

https://nabafldraftnom.com.au/images/form/booklet_mens.pdf

View attachment 582807
Only the club that bids on the player has to take him. The team who nominates him as an academy player doesn't have to match the bid.

Last edited:

Positive from Sumich "Could be off the list in 2 years" way to talk up your players mate...

At this stage talking down Carter's prospects is not entirely unuseful for Freo.

Mind you the fumbles is a fatal flaw and not easily rectifiable at all. I mean improving confidence or the assuredness that generally comes with maturing out of the teenage years would not help with that one bit.

It'd be a pretty cynical and fairly dishonest move to nominate a player and not pick them up at all. You'd think the nomination is also a commitment to that player that you will pick them up if they're not grabbed by someone else beforehand, that they're worth at the very least a rookie pick..

It'd be a pretty cynical and fairly dishonest move to nominate a player and not pick them up at all. You'd think the nomination is also a commitment to that player that you will pick them up if they're not grabbed by someone else beforehand, that they're worth at the very least a rookie pick..
We nominated Lester-Smith and decided against taking him on the rookie list. The difference here is at worst Carter will be Cat B whereas Lester-Smith was going to go on the main rookie list. Pretty sure Freo will be happy to take him Carter as a Cat B. Nothing to lose.

Carter missed 2017 and then played 2018 looking like this:

Jason+Carter+Vic+Country+vs+Western+Australia+5-dPQJGdE6jl.jpg

Allies+v+Western+Australia+2018+NAB+AFL+Under+Hm6OIEDQB0sl.jpg

Something nagging at the back of my brain is saying he needed surgery on either the thumb or the wrist.

But it's not like you need that working for clean hands.

The fumbles can easily creep in when you're not fully fit or miss a big block of footy and can't train at 100%, even minus doubts on elbows and thumbs. The younger you are the more likely it is to have a significant impact too.

We nominated Lester-Smith and decided against taking him on the rookie list. The difference here is at worst Carter will be Cat B whereas Lester-Smith was going to go on the main rookie list. Pretty sure Freo will be happy to take him Carter as a Cat B. Nothing to lose.
I would have thought the same for Medhat.

I guess he just is not good enough.

Cerra fumbled and double-handled in the champs. It was one reason I wasn't keen. But we all know how he turned out.
I think Carter takes a bit of time to fit into a team system as was shown during the champs and when he first played at Peel early in the season. He'll be fine in an AFL team structure i reckon
It could indicate he's thinking quicker than his hands can move, which ain't a bad thing.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Medhat is exactly the type of player I want us to get. Medium forward. If we aren't nominating him I hope we are finding that elsewhere.

What potential does Banfield have for that role? At the moment he is going to be struggling for the best 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blessed with pace (he ran a 2.87-second 20m sprint at the WA State Combine) and a sizeable leap (90cm running vertical jump), there is no denying Carter's raw attributes, even if he has some rough edges to refine.

"He's a funny one. He's a kid that I reckon can be a very, very good AFL player, but he could be one that could be on a list and gone in two years," WA under-18s coach and ex-Freo assistant Peter Sumich told AFL.com.au

"His run, speed and carry is at a high level, but he fumbles. If he can correct that, I think he can be a very good player.

"He's harder than what I thought as well. He doesn't mind winning the contested ball and hitting some bodies, which is a good sign for a player that can run and carry like he can.
I have never heard a coach or manager speak like that about a young player EVER.

Very poor form from Sumich and speaks to the character of the guy.

Same, my experience is tha coaches or managers only focus on the positives when commenting in a public forum.

The speculation about being potentially off the list in two years could easily demotivate and demoralise anyone.

Totally unwarranted and unprofessional imo.

Sam Sturt.
Had a quick look at the draft profiles and mock drafts. I really like the look of Sturt and he seems to be an elite kick which we obviously need more of. His range is anywhere from 12 to 26 which is obviously huge. Personally I like the idea of us trading with GWS in live trading to get pick 25 if there is a player we rate highly still available (like Stuart potentially). Something like 25 and 52 from GWS for our picks 31 and 43 could very well work out if GWS has not had to bid for their Academy ruckman by pick 25. I understand the best player debate, but I really think we need to use our first two picks on players with elite skills as a priority. Ian Hill continues to go down the mock draft boards, but I wouldnt mind the double of Ian and Stuart even though they both play forward predominately in their juniors. Sturt could well be a multi-positional player in his senior career and we need more of those types and Hill could start his career forward before developing into the Stephen Hill replacement in three years time.

devil's advocate and all that but Sumich's comments are so bad that it reminds me of the Darling info coming out his draft. Me thinks he doesn't want Carter to leave WA (for Carter's sake) and knows the other 16 clubs won't touch him after those comments.

devil's advocate and all that but Sumich's comments are so bad that it reminds me of the Darling info coming out his draft. Me thinks he doesn't want Carter to leave WA (for Carter's sake) and knows the other 16 clubs won't touch him after those comments.
Possible. But do you really think Sumich wants to help us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back