2019 Membership thread - 100k again and growing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Did any one receive their memberships? I know someone got theirs today and didn't get a lanyard with it, just wondering if they have gotten rid of it or if it was a genuine mistake. Few pissed ppl if they got rid of it!!!
The druggies send out a lanyard and a lapel pin, mine came no lanyard , no sticker and a cardboard fixture with a stick on magnet which I need to fix

We give them 100,000 members and they treat us like s**t,

My grandsons are still waiting

The druggies send out a lanyard and a lapel pin, mine came no lanyard , no sticker and a cardboard fixture with a stick on magnet which I need to fix

We give them 100,000 members and they treat us like s**t,

My grandsons are still waiting
Very cheap looking all round.The card is thin and the fixture has no magnet.I don't really care but it's a bad reflection on the club.Makes us look cheap.
Having said that,The granddaughter got hers today and quite rightly hers has plenty in it.

I’m all for having as many member as possible but s**t there were some absolute Knob bandwagoners this year.

Scuse me I enjoy letting all the peasants around me know that I am superior as I am a GOLD member

Is that special??

I thought all good Tigerheads were Gold Members. Or their members were gold - whatever.

Our current membership total (and still growing!) has me absolutely gob smacked!
Makes me wonder where all these members have come from...Shirley not all are bandwagoners!?...
How does a lil suburban club grow into a league leader of club membership in a national competition!?
Is it due to the all conquering sides of the 60/70s...!?...is that what grew our awesome numbers!?
If so, how big a debt do we owe those heroes....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our current membership total (and still growing!) has me absolutely gob smacked!
Makes me wonder where all these members have come from...Shirley not all are bandwagoners!?...
How does a lil suburban club grow into a league leader of club membership in a national competition!?
Is it due to the all conquering sides of the 60/70s...!?...is that what grew our awesome numbers!?

Obviously it helped but lots of clubs have had dominant eras and haven't got anywhere near Richmond in membership. I think a combination of things that have appealed across generations especially to children. Having the most marketable emblem, equal best colours in the league (along with Essendon), and importantly unlike almost every other club in the league colours and emblem that actually match. The best song, the highest profile home base, a MCG home ground and sense of being part of an 'army' that following smaller clubs will never give you. Also if you want to go back historically perhaps being such a popular club among catholics held us in really good stead in the long run. Anyhow as a child coming from a non-English speaking non-VFL household I know those are the reasons why I picked Richmond. Lots of clubs have at one thing or another and a few a couple but only Richmond has the lot.

Obviously it helped but lots of clubs have had dominant eras and haven't got anywhere near Richmond in membership. I think a combination of things that have appealed across generations especially to children. Having the most marketable emblem, equal best colours in the league (along with Essendon), and importantly unlike almost every other club in the league colours and emblem that actually match. The best song, the highest profile home base, a MCG home ground and sense of being part of an 'army' that following smaller clubs will never give you. Also if you want to go back historically perhaps being such a popular club among catholics held us in really good stead in the long run. Anyhow as a child coming from a non-English speaking non-VFL household I know those are the reasons why I picked Richmond. Lots of clubs have at one thing or another and a few a couple but only Richmond has the lot.

No memory of why I became hooked. But it was in the 70's era, and my favorite player was Royce Hart.

But in general the Tigers managed to create an ethos among supporters during the dry era of the 80s, 90's, 00's til not very long ago of we'll always support the club. Unlike many clubs we never sought a savior. We've been our own savior. I reckon that the army from the 70's, early 80's kept the belief because we were our own leadership and members kept the club alive. Most other clubs had someone that they looked to. I suspect that the buy in, involvement, personal connection that was created by years of crap helped create and underground passionate supporter base that other clubs just don't have. Just a theory, but we're a different beast to other club supporters. And why is weird. There's no reason by emblem etc that North isn't big. The kangaroo is as Australian as it gets. But they are minnows. There's only one king of the jungle and it's the tiger.

Well i'll attempt to answer your question from my prospective and how it all came about where 10 people become members because of my love for the tigers / richmond fc

I was a 6 year old boy going to yarra park primary school when i started following richmond - as all kids who went to yarra park did
went to richmond tech on church st near the corner of bridge rd where paddy guinane was a teacher and the richmond players used to come for a kick 1-2 times a week.

Grew up and got married to a Carlton supporter wife who had to change otherwise no ring
Had 2 daughters who are crazy Tiger supporters so thats 3

Have had 2 cousins (female) that have got married to guys from another country and moved to australia, The girls never really followed afl but i got into the heads of their husbands and whallah ............. Tigers members and the Girls are as well now ;) this was about 25-30 years ago

These 2 couples have 7 kids between them and range from 10-22 and all are Tiger supporters and most are members , So we are upto 14 plus me

I owned a newsagent in the city in the 90's and had 2 young guys working for me who were in australia on a working holiday who used to come to the footy with me just about every week and now are australian citizens and also tiger members (have not seen them for a while so not sure if there has been any kids of married so cant claim anymore than the 2

Total = 16 + Me:p

No memory of why I became hooked. But it was in the 70's era, and my favorite player was Royce Hart.

But in general the Tigers managed to create an ethos among supporters during the dry era of the 80s, 90's, 00's til not very long ago of we'll always support the club. Unlike many clubs we never sought a savior. We've been our own savior. I reckon that the army from the 70's, early 80's kept the belief because we were our own leadership and members kept the club alive. Most other clubs had someone that they looked to. I suspect that the buy in, involvement, personal connection that was created by years of crap helped create and underground passionate supporter base that other clubs just don't have. Just a theory, but we're a different beast to other club supporters. And why is weird. There's no reason by emblem etc that North isn't big. The kangaroo is as Australian as it gets. But they are minnows. There's only one king of the jungle and it's the tiger.

All very true however I'll have to disagree with you about North. Now don't get me wrong I love 'Kangaroos' but they as an emblem are thoroughly anaemic compared to tigers. Plus they chose arbitrary colours that have nothing to do with kangaroos. And true they as Australian as you get but so are wombats, koalas, bandicoots and echidnas. All I'm saying is in a highly physical fast contact sport for an unaffiliated kid the 'Tiger' really works on multiple levels. Again I'm just thinking of what I was thinking as a kid with new Australian parents when I did choose a team. A kangaroo I'd want to cuddle, a tiger I'd want to cheer and yell for.

Well i'll attempt to answer your question from my prospective and how it all came about where 10 people become members because of my love for the tigers / richmond fc

I was a 6 year old boy going to yarra park primary school when i started following richmond - as all kids who went to yarra park did
went to richmond tech on church st near the corner of bridge rd where paddy guinane was a teacher and the richmond players used to come for a kick 1-2 times a week.

Grew up and got married to a Carlton supporter wife who had to change otherwise no ring

Have had 2 cousins (female) that have got married to guys from another country and moved to australia, The girls never really followed afl but i got into the heads of their husbands and whallah ............. Tigers members and the Girls are as well now ;) this was about 25-30 years ago

These 2 couples have 7 kids between them and range from 10-22 and all are Tiger supporters and most are members , So we are upto 14 plus me

I owned a newsagent in the city in the 90's and had 2 young guys working for me who were in australia on a working holiday who used to come to the footy with me just about every week and now are australian citizens and also tiger members (have not seen them for a while so not sure if there has been any kids of married so cant claim anymore than the 2

You're doing GOD's work

i have followed the Tigers since the mid 60s and our side was a rabble from the 80s onward. Our strength came from our will to survive. It made us stronger. I always felt if we increased our numbers even though we were pathetic on field we could still be a power. We supporters became recruiters. Just like you I have brought others into the den. I have raised children as Tigers and now the Grand children are being enlisted. I have managed to convince more than 30 to join the fold and continue to do so. We are like soldier ants working for the club and that's why we continue to grow. We are a growing collective and that's why we are biggest and proudest supporter group. Because we built this club. We are Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back