Training 2019 Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL is going all out to make this AFLX thing take off, with a live draft to be broadcasted on FTA and Fox, and a whole kettle of rules that make it sound suuuper important.

I have nothing against it but I hope we aren’t giving it any support. If our boys are gonna risk injuries in the pre-season, I’d rather it be in a JLT match. Plus don’t see why we should throw our weight behind a league that’s shown us little support in recent years.

A new look midfield is an exciting proposition..imo it will either go one of two ways..incredibly successful or a major work in progress for the year..wont be any middle ground

I would define it being a work in progress as middle ground. I suspect the biggest hurdle will be chemistry. For so many years, Kennedy, Parker, Hanners and Jack played together and it culminated in that 2016 season where they were stellar and knew each other’s games inside out. They formed that chemistry that made them the best midfield group in the comp over that five year stretch.

But now we’re relying on guys like Heeney, Mills, Jones, Papley (yuck), Florent, Clarke and, to a lesser extent, the likes of Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney etc, to find that magic formula. They’ve barely, most of them never, played in the same midfield group. Stranger things have happened, but it’s incredibly unlikely they’ll find that formula in 2019. But if they can show what they’re capable of led by JPK and Parker, then it’s a work in progress I’ll be happy with.

Ling or Stoddart a genuine chance at regular senior games this year? I feel they are a little forgotten about between the regular senior players and the new kids

I am hoping one of them can overtake McVeigh for his role by the back half of the season. If they can show a bit of polish but bring some pace unlike Macca then that can only be a good thing.

Hopefully Ling can make an impact

Very early pick and we put more faulty in him by signing him up early

Stoddart got an early contract too.

Looking forward to seeing Ling.

Stoddart I am not so sure about to be honest, might be a bit like Rohan in that he is quick but...

Plenty of time though.

Hopefully Ling can make an impact

Very early pick and we put more faulty in him by signing him up early

We have shown faith by giving early contracts to Darcy Cameron, Tom McCartin, Olly Florent, Will Heywood, Ryley Stoddart, and Nick Blakey since 2017 and gave early contracts to Heneey and Mills before we gave them 5 year contracts. Its what this club does.

I hope Ling can make an impact as well and repay the faith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very quit pre season. Not many houses being dismantled..... no puff pieces. Someone make something up to feed us some hope?

We have shown faith by giving early contracts to Darcy Cameron, Tom McCartin, Olly Florent, Will Heywood, Ryley Stoddart, and Nick Blakey since 2017 and gave early contracts to Heneey and Mills before we gave them 5 year contracts. Its what this club does.

I hope Ling can make an impact as well and repay the faith

Hmmnn, we seem to have got a little smarter than the days of long contracts with Tippett, Hanners, KJ and Grohan.

Hmmnn, we seem to have got a little smarter than the days of long contracts with Tippett, Hanners, KJ and Grohan.
Goes both ways, we lost Mitchell because we couldn't afford to keep him, Heeney & Mills as the later two were being chased early. Long contracts were also what allowed us to get Buddy.

Goes both ways, we lost Mitchell because we couldn't afford to keep him, Heeney & Mills as the later two were being chased early. Long contracts were also what allowed us to get Buddy.

True. Buddy is a unique case but brought about because he is a champ. The squeeze was on with Titch, not so much because of Heeney and Mills but more because we gave longer contracts to older players or giving long contracts to players like Hanners that would take him into his thirties or long contracts to mediocre to average players.

Ling or Stoddart a genuine chance at regular senior games this year? I feel they are a little forgotten about between the regular senior players and the new kids
Who said that? I just can't see how we will fit them in to our very competitive best 22. There are going to be some very worthy players missing out, barring injuries.

True. Buddy is a unique case but brought about because he is a champ. The squeeze was on with Titch, not so much because of Heeney and Mills but more because we gave longer contracts to older players or giving long contracts to players like Hanners that would take him into his thirties or long contracts to mediocre to average players.
Andrew Ireland effectively said that we lost Tich because Heeney and Mills were our priority. There's a link to the interview on the drafting/trading/list management thread.

Who said that? I just can't see how we will fit them in to our very competitive best 22. There are going to be some very worthy players missing out, barring injuries.
I said that. I just think there's a lot of hype around other players and not so much around these two who were highly talked up last year so by all accounts should be pushing for senior selection this year

I said that. I just think there's a lot of hype around other players and not so much around these two who were highly talked up last year so by all accounts should be pushing for senior selection this year

Ling and Stoddart suffered the unfortunate fate of being wedged between the 2016 and 2018 draft crops.

2016 saw us draft the two poster children for our future, Florent & Hayward, practically joined at the hip and both very different, exciting players which we hadn't drafted as much of in the years prior (and they were also a well-needed refresher after the disappointment of the 2016 GF.) And 2018 saw us bring in Blakey, the third instalment in the Highly Rated Academy Picks trilogy after Heeney and Mills.

In 2017 there just wasn't that much to be thrilled about with our draftees. All very handy and needed, but Ling, McCartin and Stoddart didn't carry any sort of story or charisma or unique qualities that would make them stand out as draftees, even if they were exactly what we needed as players. So the fans have kind of had to generate the excitement about them ourselves, which is hard to do with a bunch of kids you don't know and haven't seen much of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back