VFL 2019 VFL R2 vs Foots (Fri 12th Apr, 4.30pm @ Holden Centre) - Wells returns

Remove this Banner Ad

Bizarre. The elite womens competition is extremely new and still developing, no one can argue against that? How is that an insult? "Seems fair" means its unfair how little recognition our VFL get considering how hard they work for often poor money. I have never suggested I think the aflw should get less attention, just the VFL more, because it is an important game for the CFC. Most pies fans know little of the VFL because there is next to zero promotion or marketting of it, thats not good enough imo. Some people are extremely defensive of aflw and it leads to incidents like this, no offence. If i was going to take a dig at the aflw i would do it, but for years now ive been highlighting Collingwoods terrible vfl coverage.

Not often I feel the need to defend you but there's a few that just seem to have misinterpreted your comments. I'm really happy to defend AFLW but I certainly didn't think you were having a shot at them with your comments. Just goes to show how differently people can interpret the written word.

I'm not a fan of the women's game yet. I watched a half in year 1 and the standard was so low that I couldn't watch it. I watched it again this year and the game has come on in leaps and bounds, but i'm still going to wait a couple more years for it to improve further before I get on board.

Having said that, Kappa's post was pretty obviously implying that the women's game is undeserving of our attention and whilst I don't have an issue with that as pretty much my own sentiment, I do find it annoying when someone blows a dog whistle to get a reaction from those who can hear it and then denies they blew the whistle.
Sorry but I don’t know how anyone could read it like that. There was no implication that the girls don’t deserve the attention, just that the VFL boys deserve just as much as the girls get.

Having not seen the game, would Sier be rushed back? Or given one more?

Going on tonight's AFL performance, Wells lurking around high half forward with ball in hand would be nice, please stay fit Wellsy

Not often I feel the need to defend you but there's a few that just seem to have misinterpreted your comments. I'm really happy to defend AFLW but I certainly didn't think you were having a shot at them with your comments. Just goes to show how differently people can interpret the written word.

The concerning part is that Kappa has now twice clarified his POV was not to bring down the AFLW Magpies, but rather lift up the VFL Magpies. Despite that some still have an issue. I got that the initial comments could have been construed either way, but this unfortunately reads like an issue where the poster making the comments has played a part in the reaction. Some need to chill really!

Good to see Wells get through, and Sier bounce back. T Brown injured?

Having not seen the game, would Sier be rushed back? Or given one more?

Going on tonight's AFL performance, Wells lurking around high half forward with ball in hand would be nice, please stay fit Wellsy
At least one more, Wills put together another good midfield game is where we should look if we want another big inside mid next week.

The concerning part is that Kappa has now twice clarified his POV was not to bring down the AFLW Magpies, but rather lift up the VFL Magpies. Despite that some still have an issue. I got that the initial comments could have been construed either way, but this unfortunately reads like an issue where the poster making the comments has played a part in the reaction. Some need to chill really!

Good to see Wells get through, and Sier bounce back. T Brown injured?
Regardless of intentions, the argument has continued because Kappa didn't concede this but instead claimed that his arguments couldn''t be contrued either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least one more, Wills put together another good midfield game is where we should look if we want another big inside mid next week.
I haven't read the whole thread (so sorry if this has already been covered), but did you (or anyone) see enough of Keane to form an opinion?

I thought the reaction to the post in question was totally over the top, and once the poster explained what he meant that should have been the end of it.
He explained it combatively, without trying to see why others would have an issue with it, so it was always going to continue.

The funny thing is that I agree with both interpretations of Kappa's original post, but at the same time think that he unnecessarily stirred the pot.

I haven't read the whole thread (so sorry if this has already been covered), but did you see enough of Keane to form an opinion?
With the amount of clean footy coming in it was going to be tough for any defender. Olympic Park is a difficult game to watch footy at and I didn't focus on Keane, so the only opinion I can really form that he isn't scarred of physical contact, got involved in a couple of push/shoves and didn't back down.

Did Oxley sign for our VFL team?

Because it did not need AFLW reference in it, agree that The club has to do a lot better with the vfl games in video or radio, but there was no need to put the other in.
Well that’s how l read it, as sour grapes. He has done it before.

Fair enough but if the two concepts are taken separately rather than side by side (lol) I think he (or she) is right. The VFL gets no attention/promotion considering the import of it.

Whereas, the AFLW gets about what one might expect.

Not an unreasonable comment at all imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He explained it combatively, without trying to see why others would have an issue with it, so it was always going to continue.

The funny thing is that I agree with both interpretations of Kappa's original post, but at the same time think that he unnecessarily stirred the pot.
Unnecessarily stirred the pot? My interpretation was that he was comparing the media attention of AFLW and VFL and didn't think it was fair. He is perfectly entitled to that opinion is he not? His argument was criticised for being a 'bit salty'. I'll have to look that one up.
I don't think Kappa was combative at all. He made a statement, clarified it after he was challenged and still the arguing continued. Some here won't accept his position and are putting words into his mouth. Seems like a classic straw man to me.

Unnecessarily stirred the pot? My interpretation was that he was comparing the media attention of AFLW and VFL and didn't think it was fair. He is perfectly entitled to that opinion is he not? His argument was criticised for being a 'bit salty'. I'll have to look that one up.
I don't think Kappa was combative at all. He made a statement, clarified it after he was challenged and still the arguing continued. Some here won't accept his position and are putting words into his mouth. Seems like a classic straw man to me.

I've got no problem with Kappa's original post, despite it's challenging tone. I think it missed the mark, but not by much; however, the follow ups annoyed me, as they denied and weren't in tune with the tone of the original post. May not have been intentional, but here is how how I read the original.:

Interesting1 how much exposure and promoting our brand new Aflw team2 gets while our vfl boys 3 pretty much don't even exist unless you're a die hard4 and drive out to the game yourself.5 Seems fair.6

1. Critical
2. Critical and condescending towards the female team
3. Valiant servants of us
4. Real supporters support 'our VFL boys'
5. Real supporters make big sacrifices
6. It's unfair that preference is given to the women over the VFL team

It was set up as a battle for coverage and rights between the undeserving female team and our valiant VFL boys with their more deserving supporters.

Hey Kappa have reflected on the discussion last night and see that your initial post can be interpreted two way. I think Scodog10 ‘s post was correct in saying we should accept that your intention was not to knock the women.

If you re read what you wrote I think you will understand that the words were ambiguous and could be interpreted as a criticism of the women. That was my immediate thought and I am not one flying the flag for the women’s game. While I support them I can’t say I really follow them much or watch their games.

So I accept you didn’t mean it to be interpreted that way and apologise for any misinterpretation of your intent.

On the issue of VFL promotion which was what you were arguing I do differ. Funnily enough I am that diehard who goes to VFL games , mainly home and some away, watch on the box and if I miss it will often enough watch the replays that come up on the website.

You have to be a footy nut and Collingwood nut to do that though. On this site there are lots of people that fit that bill but this is a very biased population. The general Collingwood supporter I know, many who watch and follow the 1’s closely, have little
knowledge or interest in the VFL. That’s the common view and the nature of 2’s footy. I think being on this site you get the feel there would be a great groundswell of VFL support if it was pushed. I doubt there is any real appetite for that.

Too many other things out there. Most AFL club supporters will watch their own team then if they need more swing over to other matches and that will exhaust and complete their AFL interest.

VFL won’t get a lot of promo is probably correct but looking at other comparisons they probably have a better promotion in a lot of ways than say Sheffield Shield cricket
which is the premier national domestic cricket comp. Just the way it is.

It is an interesting topic for footy nuts like us but the average footy supporter would probably just go “ugh”

Hey Kappa have reflected on the discussion last night and see that your initial post can be interpreted two way. I think Scodog10 ‘s post was correct in saying we should accept that your intention was not to knock the women.

If you re read what you wrote I think you will understand that the words were ambiguous and could be interpreted as a criticism of the women. That was my immediate thought and I am not one flying the flag for the women’s game. While I support them I can’t say I really follow them much or watch their games.

So I accept you didn’t mean it to be interpreted that way and apologise for any misinterpretation of your intent.

On the issue of VFL promotion which was what you were arguing I do differ. Funnily enough I am that diehard who goes to VFL games , mainly home and some away, watch on the box and if I miss it will often enough watch the replays that come up on the website.

You have to be a footy nut and Collingwood nut to do that though. On this site there are lots of people that fit that bill but this is a very biased population. The general Collingwood supporter I know, many who watch and follow the 1’s closely, have little
knowledge or interest in the VFL. That’s the common view and the nature of 2’s footy. I think being on this site you get the feel there would be a great groundswell of VFL support if it was pushed. I doubt there is any real appetite for that.

Too many other things out there. Most AFL club supporters will watch their own team then if they need more swing over to other matches and that will exhaust and complete their AFL interest.

VFL won’t get a lot of promo is probably correct but looking at other comparisons they probably have a better promotion in a lot of ways than say Sheffield Shield cricket
which is the premier national domestic cricket comp. Just the way it is.

It is an interesting topic for footy nuts like us but the average footy supporter would probably just go “ugh”
That right there is what I like about BigFooty; discussions roll on here like they do in real life. People get upset (even Mods) and take offence and so it goes. A mod publicly declaring that they may have got it wrong seems a very healthy thing to me. Well done Gone Critical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back