News 2019 - VFLW R10 RICHMOND V MELBOURNE UNI 03:00 PM / SAT 14 JULY - SWINBURNE CENTRE

Remove this Banner Ad

23rd Player: RICH - G. Seymour. MU - J. Thomas

RICH
IN: H. Ibrahim,
OUT: K. Brennan

MU
IN: A. Runnalls, S. Abbatangelo, J. Bruton, B. Gibson, A. Roan , A. Riddell
OUT: C. Adams, J. Tancred, E. Hay, E. Bult, M. Shone, J. Grierson

AFLW Listed Players:

Richmond -
Madeline Brancatisano , Tayla Stahl, Phoebe Monahan, Sabrina Frederick

MU - Sophie Abbatangelo, Jasmine Garner, Kate Gillespie-Jones, Ashleigh Riddell, Jess Duffin, Kaitlyn Ashmore, Taylor Mesiti, Brittany Gibson, Jess Trend, Elisha King, Jenna Bruton,

Ladder:
Richmond 3rd - Played 7 Won 6 W Lost 1
MU - 7th - Played 8 Won 4 Lost 4

FORM:

Richmond

R1 (W) 12.7.79 v Darebin 7.2.44
R2 Bye
R3 (W) 8.10.58 v Essendon 3.5.23
R4 (W) 5.7.37 v Melbourne Uni 4.10.34
R5 (W) 8.7.55 v Geelong 5.3.33
R6 (W) 7.7.49 v NT Thunder 3.10.28
R7 Bye
R8 (W) 9.11.65 v Casey Demons 4.2.26
R9 (L) 2.10.22 v Western Bulldogs 4.4.28

Melbourne Uni
R1 W) 12.5.77 v Geelong 5.3.33
R2 (W) 11.8.74 v Darebin 6.2.38
R3 (L) 1.6.12 v Western Bulldogs 3.4.22
R4 (L) 4.10.34 v Richmond 5.7.37
R5 (W) 6.7.43 v Williamstown 4.8.32
R6 (L) 3.3.21 v St Kilda 6.13.49
R7 Bye
R8 (L) 3.9.27 v Essendon 6.4.40
R9 (W) 5.8.38 v Casey Demons 4.9.33

Have our work cut out this week with Brennan taking a well earned rest. This MU side is absolutely stacked with AFLW talent and its surprising to see them sit just outside the top 6. We scraped home by 3 points in R4 but we have lost Brennan, Conti, Edmonds and Wakefield from that game and MU are fielding a better side this time around. We need to put in a great performance to avoid the result going the other way.

With Brennan and Wakefield out we will need our leading goal kicker Tayla Stahl to fire this week and Sabrina Frederick to be in the game to help us kick a winning score. If Gabby Seymour can continue putting in exceptional performances in the ruck, it will also allow Jenna Colwell to spend some time forward which has been effective during this season.

Our mids should continue to feed our forwards but its up to the more experienced Stahl, Frederick, and Bailey to lead the way and make the most of the chances we get.

Good luck girls. Hopefully a few will stick around to support our team after the AFL game against GWS and the extra cheers from over the fence may help get our girls over the line.

Here is a picture of Emma Gunn because:

A. Her surname is "Gunn". Enough said.
B. She plays in #17 and that's a Premiership year.
C. I'm hoping she has a cracker of a game.

Last edited:
View attachment 707587

23rd Player: RICH - G. Seymour. MU - J. Thomas

RICH
IN: H. Ibrahim,
OUT: K. Brennan

MU
IN: A. Runnalls, S. Abbatangelo, J. Bruton, B. Gibson, A. Roan , A. Riddell
OUT: C. Adams, J. Tancred, E. Hay, E. Bult, M. Shone, J. Grierson

AFLW Listed Players:

Richmond -
Madeline Brancatisano , Tayla Stahl, Phoebe Monahan, Sabrina Frederick

MU - Sophie Abbatangelo, Jasmine Garner, Kate Gillespie-Jones, Ashleigh Riddell, Jess Duffin, Kaitlyn Ashmore, Taylor Mesiti, Brittany Gibson, Jess Trend, Elisha King, Jenna Bruton,

Ladder:
Richmond 3rd - Played 7 Won 6 W Lost 1
MU - 7th - Played 8 Won 4 Lost 4

FORM:

Richmond

R1 (W) 12.7.79 v Darebin 7.2.44
R2 Bye
R3 (W) 8.10.58 v Essendon 3.5.23
R4 (W) 5.7.37 v Melbourne Uni 4.10.34
R5 (W) 8.7.55 v Geelong 5.3.33
R6 (W) 7.7.49 v NT Thunder 3.10.28
R7 Bye
R8 (W) 9.11.65 v Casey Demons 4.2.26
R9 (L) 2.10.22 v Western Bulldogs 4.4.28

Melbourne Uni
R1 W) 12.5.77 v Geelong 5.3.33
R2 (W) 11.8.74 v Darebin 6.2.38
R3 (L) 1.6.12 v Western Bulldogs 3.4.22
R4 (L) 4.10.34 v Richmond 5.7.37
R5 (W) 6.7.43 v Williamstown 4.8.32
R6 (L) 3.3.21 v St Kilda 6.13.49
R7 Bye
R8 (L) 3.9.27 v Essendon 6.4.40
R9 (W) 5.8.38 v Casey Demons 4.9.33

Have our work cut out this week with Brennan taking a well earned rest. This MU side is absolutely stacked with AFLW talent and its surprising to see them sit just outside the top 6. We scraped home by 3 points in R4 but we have lost Brennan, Conti, Edmonds and Wakefield from that game and MU are fielding a better side this time around. We need to put in a great performance to avoid the result going the other way.

With Brennan and Wakefield out we will need our leading goal kicker Tayla Stahl to fire this week and Sabrina Frederick to be in the game to help us kick a winning score. If Gabby Seymour can continue putting in exceptional performances in the ruck, it will also allow Jenna Colwell to spend some time forward which has been effective during this season.
View attachment 707644

Our mids should continue to feed our forwards but its up to the more experienced Stahl, Frederick, and Bailey to lead the way and make the most of the chances we get.

Good luck girls. Hopefully a few will stick around to support our team after the AFL game against GWS and the extra cheers from over the fence may help get our girls over the line.

Here is a picture of Emma Gunn because:

A. Her surname is "Gunn". Enough said.
B. She plays in #17 and that's a Premiership year.
C. I'm hoping she has a cracker of a game.
View attachment 707628

Yep this is going to be a tough one
11 AFLW listed ladies listed for Melbourne Uni(Nth Melb AFLW) to our 5 AFLW listed
Have to stop Jess Duffin who had 39 disposals and Kate Gillespie-Jones who had 33 last round win against Casey
Melbourne Uni don't kick a lot of goals though so were in with a good chance

Have some work to do.

R11 Hawks (8th on the ladder) at Box Hill
R12 Pies (1st) Swinburne
R13 Willy (13th) Swinburne
R14 Carlton (12th) Latrobe
R15 Bulldogs (4th) Swinburne
R16 Saints (2nd) Trevor Barker Oval

The positive, other than players to return, is that every other side in the 6 or in contention has a bye coming up so we have a game in hand. Last year we had top 4 playing finals. This year it has been expanded to 6.

Last edited:
Nice work TigermanM2...how are we going with the aflw listed girls and the point system they use for playing in the vflw.
MU were pretty loaded up with aflw girls
I was chatting to a bloke before the game and I asked him if there was a limit to the amount of aflw listed girls that can be played and he mentioned it was about a point system.
I didn’t realise

Last edited:
Nice work TigermanM2...how are we going with the aflw listed girls and the point system they use for playing in the vflw.

Yeah does anyone know how the point system works?
Good things to come out of the game: G.Seymour 42 hitouts, K.Jacques, G.Egan all in our best and still very young
Grace Campbell still tearing it up, great season so far.
No shame to lose this game considering we were playing pretty much their A TEAM,
11 AFLW listed ladies

My take from the second half was that the girls looked like they weren’t ready for the wet conditions. Looked like they were trying to play dry weather footy and MU were playing wet weather footy.
It really showed up like that.

I was chatting to a bloke before the game and I asked him if there was a limit to the amount of aflw listed girls that can be played and he mentioned it was about a point system.
I didn’t realise

Yeah does anyone know how the point system works?

Haha. You need to do a 4 year uni course to work it out. I am definitely no expert and there's a lot I don't know but this is what I think I've nutted out.

Firstly I'm told you can't play any more than 12 of your AFLW listed players in any one game.

For the most part, 106 pts per game seems to be the magic number. Non AFLW aligned teams (Darebin/ Williamstown) are allowed 112.

Most of the time you have 1 point for any player who is new to the game or hasn't played in last 3 years right through to 6 for AFLW players. We have some former AFLW players who aren't in the AFLW any more but they still attract 6 points. (Bailey, Kennedy etc)

I say most of the time because Hannah McLaren is on 8 points so she is in the stage 2 extra points area. She costs us more in points than our current AFLW players. :drunk: I guess there's reason but it seems madness. This appears to be pretty rare. Every other player in the VFLW playing in this last round was at 6 or lower.

Here you go. Good luck.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back