briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Gees our new Irish recruit, Orla O’Dwyer smashing preseason.

2km time trial, and she beats second place by a full lap. In a 5 lap “race”, that’s ridiculous.

I wonder if Mike Whiting paced her the whole way, or if Orla dropped him.

Gees our new Irish recruit, Orla O’Dwyer smashing preseason.

2km time trial, and she beats second place by a full lap. In a 5 lap “race”, that’s ridiculous.

I wonder if Mike Whiting paced her the whole way, or if Orla dropped him.

Bloody hell those are some jets on her. Looking forward to getting along to all the aflw seq games this year, and based on that article it seems we can expect that the team will just run the opponents off the field!

Bloody hell those are some jets on her. Looking forward to getting along to all the aflw seq games this year, and based on that article it seems we can expect that the team will just run the opponents off the field!
As Lauren Arnell has said on the Roar Deal podcast, most other AFLW teams are recording the same.

Does anyone know why Zilks was made captain again? I would have liked Lutkins with, maybe Campbell and Woosh as her lieutenants? (Assuming Campbell is in the forward line and Woosh is in the backline like they were for the winter series)

Does anyone know why Zilks was made captain again? I would have liked Lutkins with, maybe Campbell and Woosh as her lieutenants? (Assuming Campbell is in the forward line and Woosh is in the backline like they were for the winter series)
Is it a player vote?

Yeah it was a player vote.

Not that I'm expecting you to know, but why go back to Zilks after Kaslar? Surely the players voted for Kaslar because they wanted someone other than Zilks? Maybe Lutkins isn't the leader I (and a couple of others) think she is?

Not that I'm expecting you to know, but why go back to Zilks after Kaslar? Surely the players voted for Kaslar because they wanted someone other than Zilks? Maybe Lutkins isn't the leader I (and a couple of others) think she is?
Maybe they voted Kaslar thinking it might make her stay at the Lions instead of moving to the Gold Coast the following year, if that was the case, it didn't work.

Maybe they voted Kaslar thinking it might make her stay at the Lions instead of moving to the Gold Coast the following year, if that was the case, it didn't work.

That was my thinking too, that the Club thought giving Kaslar the captaincy would prevent her leaving. Once the suns came into being though I think

it was, sort of, expected that she would leave, since she does live down that way. The unexpected departure was Virgo. As far as I know she has

no connections to the GC at all. The only connection Virgo has to the suns is as a fan. Putting her in the leadership didn't work either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they shouldn’t have voted Kaslar in the first place.
I am ok with them going back to Zilks, have no problem with it, at all.

I think the team needs some fresh blood in the leadership and I think Lutkins would be a good choice. I like Webb as co-captain.

The unexpected departure was Virgo. As far as I know she has

no connections to the GC at all. The only connection Virgo has to the suns is as a fan.

A few of our departing players (Virgo and Yorston) have I think been quoted as saying the new Suns coach David Lake was a key reason in moving. Lakey was our mids coach for the past couple of years and has been a big figure in Qld footy circles for a while now.

A few of our departing players (Virgo and Yorston) have I think been quoted as saying the new Suns coach David Lake was a key reason in moving. Lakey was our mids coach for the past couple of years and has been a big figure in Qld footy circles for a while now.

Yeah I remember that, that it was Lakey who was a factor but in Virgo's case I think being a suns fan played a part too.

Why did they stop playing home games at South Pine?
I think there is a real benefit in the promotion of the game to be playing games in the inner suburbs before moving to Springfield, in this case only 4-5 klm's from the CBD. A lot more convenient to get to and not as windy.

It didn’t click before today, but the Suns AFLW team also get Darwin as part of their academy zone.

They’ve got one NT girl who’s part of the National academy, along with 3 of their Suns academy members who are also National academy members training with their AFLW team.

They’ve also got a woman from the NT Thunder training as a squad member, and the NT Thunders women’s coach down as well.

It didn’t click before today, but the Suns AFLW team also get Darwin as part of their academy zone.

They’ve got one NT girl who’s part of the National academy, along with 3 of their Suns academy members who are also National academy members training with their AFLW team.

They’ve also got a woman from the NT Thunder training as a squad member, and the NT Thunders women’s coach down as well.

Does that give them an advantage over us? What are our zones? Obviously Brisbane, but where else?

Does that give them an advantage over us? What are our zones? Obviously Brisbane, but where else?
I’d say it does. They’ll get to add some of NT’s top female talent (as well as male), to their existing QLD talent.

I’ve included a map of the Lions and GC’s academy zones. GC also has a little bit of Northern NSW in their zone as well. B90E362C-2FFF-4145-AADE-FD79C6E737C0.jpeg

I’d say it does. They’ll get to add some of NT’s top female talent (as well as male), to their existing QLD talent.

I’ve included a map of the Lions and GC’s academy zones. GC also has a little bit of Northern NSW in their zone as well.View attachment 805646

Most of the state looks to be in their zone. Plus some of another state if ya don't mind! I feel like Brisbane are getting screwed. No doubt we'll still be the better team despite the fact that everything gets handed to them on a platter and they still manage to be duds.

Most of the state looks to be in their zone. Plus some of another state if ya don't mind! I feel like Brisbane are getting screwed. No doubt we'll still be the better team despite the fact that everything gets handed to them on a platter and they still manage to be duds.
I’d suggest we possibly have the greater population density in our zone.

It certainly appears GC are doing a lot with the schools on the GC. Many of the public schools down there have their own AFL high performance programs or academies. They’re also getting a decent or good kid out of Cairns most years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back