News 2020 AFLW Season - General

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread should be on the main richmond board. I get that you might want to separate the player pickups etc to not crowd it but at least one thread where we can discuss the womens would be good. Took me a while to even find this place lol

Mods get onto it, The AFL season is so over, The AFLW season is here
Go Tigerettes, or Tigeresses

This is my early maybe should/could be R1 team
Full-back: R.Miller 184cm (in the goal square)
Back pockets: I.Ross 169cm, P.Monahan 174cm (Ross near Miller, Monahan little bit further out)
Half-backs: S.Sansonetti 172cm, A.Makur-Chuot 178cm (both are good marks and runners)
Wing: M.Brancatisano 169cm, Centre: M.Conti 165cm, Wing: H.Burchell 170cm (all 3 gives us run and carry)
Half-forwards: L.McClelland 172cm, T.Stahl 168cm (Both can mark and play up the field)
Forward pockets: S.Frederick 182cm, C.Bernardi 167cm (Bernardi close to Wakefield, Fredrick a bit further out)
Full-forward: C.Wakefield 180cm (in the goal square)
Ruck: A.Edmonds 189cm, Ruck rover: K.Brennan 174cm, Rover: S.Molan 175cm (great/superb ball winning group)
INTERCHANGE:
43 G.Campbell 164cm (rotating Mid)
29 K.Jacques 167cm (rotating Mid)
19 K.Dempsey 162cm (rotating Mid/defender)
28 G.Seymour® 175cm (rotating Ruck)
12 L.Bailey 166cm (rotating Mid/defender/forward)
Stiff to miss out:
A.Woodward 170cm
E.Wood 164cm
Saxon-Jones 182cm

Awesome we are playing in Bendigo, might go and watch. Are tickets free?

Noticed that some games may be ticketed which will mean there will be a small ticketing charge.
This will be for venues such as Punt Rd where the small capacity may result in a lockout.

Don’t like it but can understand the AFL wanting to make sure no one arrives at the venue and can’t get in.

Noticed that some games may be ticketed which will mean there will be a small ticketing charge.
This will be for venues such as Punt Rd where the small capacity may result in a lockout.

Don’t like it but can understand the AFL wanting to make sure no one arrives at the venue and can’t get in.
Richmond women’s membership gives you a seat in the Jack Dyer stand for PRO games. $79 on top of a normal membership, or $115 for a stand-alone membership that includes entry to 3 men’s games.

Am tipping the girls wouldnt like Tigerettes , am actually a bit surprised there’s a separate social media platform for Richmond women’s should be under Richmond FC

Any team associated with the club that runs out in the yellow and black I just call Tigers. One in the same in my eyes.

Don't really have an issue with the teams having separate instagram and twitter. There is a bit of crossing over.
The single website has sections for all teams although the AFLW and wheelchair section updates/content are non existent which is very poor.

Last edited:
Any team associated with the club that runs out in the yellow and black I just call Tigers. One in the same in my eyes.

Don't really have an issue with the teams having separate instagram and twitter. There is a bit of crossing over.
The single website has sections for all teams although the AFLW and wheelchair section updates/content are non existent which is very poor.
There’s plenty of AFLW on main websites ??

You’d expect it would only be token amount and with 4-5k capacity only means of regulating it , don’t want 5000 fans being turned away , that’s poor form

You’d expect it would only be token amount and with 4-5k capacity only means of regulating it , don’t want 5000 fans being turned away , that’s poor form

I think the fee is just to cover the ticketing agency booking fee which is what a couple of dollars?

The issue is whenever people hear that the match is ticketed it seems to scare people away and very rarely are they sell outs. Bet our first game at Ikon park is ticketed.

Richmond women’s membership gives you a seat in the Jack Dyer stand for PRO games. $79 on top of a normal membership, or $115 for a stand-alone membership that includes entry to 3 men’s games.
Rang the membership dept. today and asked the girl to add the $79 one on to my committed tiger monthly payments.
It must have been her first day or she hasn't been trained properly because she didn't seem to understand fully what I was asking because she called my membership "bay seating".
I had to explain that it's called 3121, she then said" Oh yeah 3121 bay seating".

So I asked her again to just add the $79 AFLW membership to my committed tiger monthly payments, she said no worries I'll process that now.

An hour later she rings back and asks me if I want to pay for it in full and again I say no, please add it to my monthly payment plan, she says no worries I'll do that now.

I just got home from work and checked my Richmond account and nothing has been added.

It's strange because for so many years now the membership department have been fantastic and know exactly what to do when I've rang them, this girl sounded like she'd had very little training, she didn't even know the basics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the fee is just to cover the ticketing agency booking fee which is what a couple of dollars?

The issue is whenever people hear that the match is ticketed it seems to scare people away and very rarely are they sell outs. Bet our first game at Ikon park is ticketed.
That’s very true , people give up the intent to go if they cant walk up on the day. I’ll plant to go to our first game at Punt rd , Ikon no good for me coming from SE otherwise I’d def be there

This is my early maybe should/could be R1 team
Full-back: R.Miller 184cm (in the goal square)
Back pockets: I.Ross 169cm, P.Monahan 174cm (Ross near Miller, Monahan little bit further out)
Half-backs: S.Sansonetti 172cm, A.Makur-Chuot 178cm (both are good marks and runners)
Wing: M.Brancatisano 169cm, Centre: M.Conti 165cm, Wing: H.Burchell 170cm (all 3 gives us run and carry)
Half-forwards: L.McClelland 172cm, T.Stahl 168cm (Both can mark and play up the field)
Forward pockets: S.Frederick 182cm, C.Bernardi 167cm (Bernardi close to Wakefield, Fredrick a bit further out)
Full-forward: C.Wakefield 180cm (in the goal square)
Ruck: A.Edmonds 189cm, Ruck rover: K.Brennan 174cm, Rover: S.Molan 175cm (great/superb ball winning group)
INTERCHANGE:
43 G.Campbell 164cm (rotating Mid)
29 K.Jacques 167cm (rotating Mid)
19 K.Dempsey 162cm (rotating Mid/defender)
28 G.Seymour® 175cm (rotating Ruck)
12 L.Bailey 166cm (rotating Mid/defender/forward)
Stiff to miss out:
A.Woodward 170cm
E.Wood 164cm
Saxon-Jones 182cm

I'll give it a shake.

Selected based on the 5/6/5 combo

1572417069023.png

Defenders:
Monahan, Makur-Chuot and Miller are certs. Just liked what I saw with Monahan deep and keeping an eye on those ahead of her during the VFLW season. Went for Bailey here as well. That's where she started her AFLW career with the Dogs and she did well when she went back there late in the VFLW season. Adds to our limited AFLW experience in our backline.
Sansonetti gets a gig. From what I've seen just knows where she needs to be and looks to have great composure.

Mids:
Edmonds, Brennan and Conti pick themselves.
Molan is probably already one of our best players even before she gets on the train to Punt Rd.
I've thrown Kodi Jacques in the middle just for her ability to get the ball and her work when we don't have it. A great tackler.
Kate Dempsey has had an outstanding VFLW season, particularly after the bye and was, in my eyes, our best player in our Elimination final loss.

Forward:
Again, Frederick, Stahl, Bernardi, and Wakefield pick themselves.
I've added Maddy Brancatisano to the forward combo. High draft pick when she was selected by Melbourne and has talent to burn. Haven't seen her at her best yet so I'm basing this selection more on promise than performance at this stage. Relatively new to the game and an U18 jet (captain of Northern Knights in 2018) so 2020 may just be the year for her.

Interchange:
Gabby Seymour and Grace Campbell have had great VFLW seasons and I'm tipping will see plenty of AFLW action.
Seymour was a surprise packet in the ruck and given the very few games of football she has played I expect she will improve immensely with a pre season under her belt and a bit of added experience.
Campbell was probably our best VFLW player before her injury and not only can she find the pill but she is also a tackling machine averaging 8.1 tackles a game this VFLW season. Part of our midfield rotation.
We haven't seen much of Hannah Burchell but I really like what she can add to our side. Can run the full length of the ground, she's fast and knows where the goals are. Like Grace Campbell, if not for missing most of the VFLW season, Hannah may have found a place in the starting 16.
Ella Wood and Laura McLelland get the remaining spots on the bench. Relatively high picks, Ella can play back or mid while Laura can play back or forward. Both girls give us great versatility. Both have leadership backgrounds and the vision I have seen of their play is impressive.

Others:
Alana Woodward was really the only other player I was considering and I must admit I had substituted her name with another in the team more than once before I settled on the 21. Stiff. I'll continue to have moments where I think I've made a mistake and put her back in.
Liliish Ross could be another that may find herself in the team but I just haven't seen enough of her.
I didn't consider Lauren Tesoriero. Good footballer but that injury......!!!
Horne, Whitford, Butler, Saxon-Jones, Fitzgerald and Harley. They are all new and might just have to wait for an opportunity to open up for them but all it takes is a killer pre-season and some good form in the trial games to leapfrog someone. That's the beauty of football.

Here's to a cracking 2020 season.

GO TIGERS!

tiger.gif

Last edited:
I'll give it a shake.

Selected based on the 5/6/5 combo

View attachment 772134

Defenders:
Monahan, Makur-Chuot and Miller are certs. Just liked what I saw with Monahan deep and keeping an eye on those ahead of her during the VFLW season. Went for Bailey here as well. That's where she started her AFLW career with the Dogs and she did well when she went back there late in the VFLW season. Adds to our limited AFLW experience in our backline.
Sansonetti gets a gig. From what I've seen just knows where she needs to be and looks to have great composure.

Mids:
Edmond, Brennan and Conti pick themselves.
Molan is probably already one of our best players even before she gets on the train to Punt Rd.
I've thrown Kodi Jacques in the middle just for her ability to get the ball and her work when we don't have it. A great tackler.
Kate Dempsey has had an outstanding VFLW season, particularly after the bye and was, in my eyes, our best player in our Elimination final loss.

Forward:
Again, Frederick, Stahl, Bernardi, and Wakefield pick themselves.
I've added Maddy Brancatisano to the forward combo. High draft pick when she was selected by Melbourne and has talent to burn. Haven't seen her at her best yet so I'm basing this selection more on promise than performance at this stage. Relatively new to the game and an U18 star so 2020 may just be the year for her.

Interchange:
Gabby Seymour and Grace Campbell have had great VFLW seasons and I'm tipping will see plenty of AFLW action.
Seymour was a surprise packet in the ruck and given the very few games of football she has played I expect she will improve immensely with a pre season under her belt and a bit of added experience.
Campbell was probably our best VFLW player before her injury and not only can she find the pill but she is also a tackling machine averaging 8.1 tackles a game this VFLW season. Part of our midfield rotation.
We haven't seen much of Hannah Burchell but I really like what she can add to our side. Can run the full length of the ground, she's fast and knows where the goals are. Like Grace Campbell, if not for missing most of the VFLW season, Hannah may have found a place in the starting 16.
Ella Wood and Laura McLelland get the remaining spots on the bench. Relatively high picks, Ella can play back or mid while Laura can play back or forward. Both girls give us great versatility. Both have leadership backgrounds and the vision I have seen of their play is impressive.

Others:
Alana Woodward was really the only other player I was considering and I must admit I had substituted her name with another in the team more than once before I settled on the 21. Stiff. I'll continue to have moments where I think I've made a mistake and put her back in.
Liliish Ross could be another that may find herself in the team but I just haven't seen enough of her.
I didn't consider Lauren Tesoriero. Good footballer but that injury......!!!
Horne, Whitford, Butler, Saxon-Jones, Fitzgerald and Harley. They are all new and might just have to wait for an opportunity to open up for them but all it takes is a killer pre-season and some good form in the trial games to leapfrog someone. That's the beauty of football.

Here's to a cracking 2020 season.

GO TIGERS!

View attachment 772181

Very good team, I like it
I added Ross as we signed her up early and she played some good footy in pies backline(hope she's not injured)
Your selection of Ward is probably a correct one as i considered her very close in my team
There's probably 1 or 2 that will have ripping pre-seasons that will get a guernsey come R1

Last edited:
Rang the membership dept. today and asked the girl to add the $79 one on to my committed tiger monthly payments.
It must have been her first day or she hasn't been trained properly because she didn't seem to understand fully what I was asking because she called my membership "bay seating".
I had to explain that it's called 3121, she then said" Oh yeah 3121 bay seating".

So I asked her again to just add the $79 AFLW membership to my committed tiger monthly payments, she said no worries I'll process that now.

An hour later she rings back and asks me if I want to pay for it in full and again I say no, please add it to my monthly payment plan, she says no worries I'll do that now.

I just got home from work and checked my Richmond account and nothing has been added.

It's strange because for so many years now the membership department have been fantastic and know exactly what to do when I've rang them, this girl sounded like she'd had very little training, she didn't even know the basics.

Maybe its because we have so much money, that they don't need anymore ATM?

Was thinking about stahl before , with a pre season under the belt , looking forward to see her step up to AFLW , got a feeling she will go well, hard at it HF ,plenty of talent to work with

I’d like to see how she’d go with some minutes in the midfield. Might not have the engine so just short stints. She’s a smart footballer.

I’d like to see how she’d go with some minutes in the midfield. Might not have the engine so just short stints. She’s a smart footballer.
I’d like to see her with more minutes in the midfield as well. Looks like she gets frustrated a little bit being stuck at Full Forward. The Round 3 VFLW win at arden st. where she went up into the midfield was probably her best game.

I've just added this to my membership, I would love to get to Punt Rd at least once this year to see either a VFL or AFLW game, I will get to Metricon to see the girls play on Feb 15th in rd 2 for our 2nd win.

I've just added this to my membership, I would love to get to Punt Rd at least once this year to see either a VFL or AFLW game, I will get to Metricon to see the girls play on Feb 15th in rd 2 for our 2nd win.
There’s only 2 at punt rd , will sell quickly , I’m dead keen to go r3 , don’t think I’d do the night game there

I'll give it a go as well

The first 12 came really easily for me, 4 in each line and then it gets hard, this is where there are spots up for grabs for the bottom group of the 21 will be hot. This pre-season is going to be very competitive.

DEFENDERS (5)
for the Defence I like Kate Dempsey down back as she reads the play and executes well with the open field, looked our most comfortable there and was my No. 1 ranked defender from our VFLW group this year. my other defenders are Monahan, who I had ranked 2nd, both were in my overall top 10 from our VFLW season, and then I’ve gone with Ross, Miller and McLelland. Makur Chuot is the other defender to play off the bench.

MIDFIELDERS (6)
For Mids, I have the same Fab 4 as you two do, Conti, Brennan, Molan and Edmonds. My other starters are Grace Campbell who I thought was not only arguably our best player before she got injured but one of the best in the VFLW, a real revelation this year as was Tayla Stahl, who could also play mid. The other player I have starting is Holly Whitford because I think her AFLW experience will be crucial early in games when the heat is on as will Lauren Tesoriero’s who brings this experience, fingers crossed on her. I have Kody Jacques on my bench.

FORWARDS (5)
For forwards I have Frederick first pick then our dangerous goal sneaks in the forward line in Tayla Stahl, who I thought was our 2nd best forward this year, and then Laura Bailey who I thought was our 3rd best when she played there and was a great combination with Stahl. (6 goals vs Casey in Bendigo, 3 each) so these 2 would be locks as forwards who can kick goals and then Christina Bernadi and Courtney Wakefield make up the forward line. Maddy Brancatisano is the other one to play off the bench or rotate forward/mid.

INTERCHANGE (5)
Rounding off the Interchange is Alana Woodward as a Utility player who I thought was in our top 10 players this year. Our '23rd player Gabby Seymour' is unlucky to miss out in my team as she was also a revelation this year but I just can't find a spot in my team for her. I've gone with Sabrina as the back up ruck, a role she played often with the Lions, and as our 2nd ruck will give another spot for another midfielder to come into the team.

DEFENDERS Dempsey, Monahan, Ross, Miller, McLelland
MIDFIELDERS Conti, Brennan, Molan, Edmonds, Campbell, Whitford
FORWARDS Frederick, Stahl, Bailey, Bernadi, Wakefield
INTERCHANGE Teserairo, Jacques (M). Woodward (U), Brancatisano (F), Makur Chuot (D)

EMERGENCIES Seymour, Burchell, Wood, Sansonetti

I'll give it a go as well

The first 12 came really easily for me, 4 in each line and then it gets hard, this is where there are spots up for grabs for the bottom group of the 21 will be hot. This pre-season is going to be very competitive.

DEFENDERS (5)
for the Defence I like Kate Dempsey down back as she reads the play and executes well with the open field, looked our most comfortable there and was my No. 1 ranked defender from our VFLW group this year. my other defenders are Monahan, who I had ranked 2nd, both were in my overall top 10 from our VFLW season, and then I’ve gone with Ross, Miller and McLelland. Makur Chuot is the other defender to play off the bench.

MIDFIELDERS (6)
For Mids, I have the same Fab 4 as you two do, Conti, Brennan, Molan and Edmonds. My other starters are Grace Campbell who I thought was not only arguably our best player before she got injured but one of the best in the VFLW, a real revelation this year as was Tayla Stahl, who could also play mid. The other player I have starting is Holly Whitford because I think her AFLW experience will be crucial early in games when the heat is on as will Lauren Tesoriero’s who brings this experience, fingers crossed on her. I have Kody Jacques on my bench.

FORWARDS (5)
For forwards I have Frederick first pick then our dangerous goal sneaks in the forward line in Tayla Stahl, who I thought was our 2nd best forward this year, and then Laura Bailey who I thought was our 3rd best when she played there and was a great combination with Stahl. (6 goals vs Casey in Bendigo, 3 each) so these 2 would be locks as forwards who can kick goals and then Christina Bernadi and Courtney Wakefield make up the forward line. Maddy Brancatisano is the other one to play off the bench or rotate forward/mid.

INTERCHANGE (5)
Rounding off the Interchange is Alana Woodward as a Utility player who I thought was in our top 10 players this year. Our '23rd player Gabby Seymour' is unlucky to miss out in my team as she was also a revelation this year but I just can't find a spot in my team for her. I've gone with Sabrina as the back up ruck, a role she played often with the Lions, and as our 2nd ruck will give another spot for another midfielder to come into the team.

DEFENDERS Dempsey, Monahan, Ross, Miller, McLelland
MIDFIELDERS Conti, Brennan, Molan, Edmonds, Campbell, Whitford
FORWARDS Frederick, Stahl, Bailey, Bernadi, Wakefield
INTERCHANGE Teserairo, Jacques (M). Woodward (U), Brancatisano (F), Makur Chuot (D)

EMERGENCIES Seymour, Burchell, Wood, Sansonetti

Well done.

I'd happily take this team or Stan's team for R1. The great part about our team is that all of us have different names in the side and the reasoning is very convincing. Shows we have some nice depth. Like most AFLW sides the top 6 or so are jets and the quality slips quite a bit after that so it comes down to keeping your jets on the park and who out of the rest can step up and play their role to AFLW standard.

Our success during our VFLW season was built on the back of lesser known names really stepping up eg Campbell, Seymour, Stahl, Miller, Edmonds, Egan, Colwell, Woodward, Jacques. We need to see this happen again in AFLW2020.

Very good team, I like it
I added Ross as we signed her up early and she played some good footy in pies backline(hope she's not injured)
Your selection of Ward is probably a correct one as i considered her very close in my team
There's probably 1 or 2 that will have ripping pre-seasons that will get a guernsey come R1

Yeah Ross is an interesting one. Didn't play any VFLW games and haven't heard a peep about her since her signing was announced back in April. By all accounts a very promising rebounding half back who had a stellar TAC season back in 2017. Wouldn't surprise at all if she was there R1. Would have liked to have seen her at VFLW level just to get a good look. Knock on her is that she hasn't been able to get enough of the ball to be damaging like she can be but hey, Pies have been absolutely woeful during her time there. Players were absolutely astounded that their coach was still there for 2019 and they played like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back