News 2020 AFLW Season - General

Remove this Banner Ad

You have a look at our list and the key word I see is FLEXIBILITY
Most players can play in multiple positions, even the draftees were chosen for this attribute, I love it
I remember in the Box Hill game(the dbl header) Makur Cahuot drifted forward at the start of the last quarter or end of the third, grabbed a mark and had a shot.
We didn’t get the win but that was good to see, I like the way she moves for someone that tall.
I saw her on the flanks a few times in some of the games I saw.

Rang the membership dept. today and asked the girl to add the $79 one on to my committed tiger monthly payments.
It must have been her first day or she hasn't been trained properly because she didn't seem to understand fully what I was asking because she called my membership "bay seating".
I had to explain that it's called 3121, she then said" Oh yeah 3121 bay seating".

So I asked her again to just add the $79 AFLW membership to my committed tiger monthly payments, she said no worries I'll process that now.

An hour later she rings back and asks me if I want to pay for it in full and again I say no, please add it to my monthly payment plan, she says no worries I'll do that now.

I just got home from work and checked my Richmond account and nothing has been added.

It's strange because for so many years now the membership department have been fantastic and know exactly what to do when I've rang them, this girl sounded like she'd had very little training, she didn't even know the basics.
Just an update on this, I had to ring the club again and explain that my AFLW membership add on hadn't been put through, this time it was a different girl who knew what she was doing and she processed it straight away.

Then a couple of days ago a girl from the membership department rings me again and says I've mistakenly been charged $79 for a junior membership and need to pay $115.
I then had to explain to her that I don't need to pay $115 because I am already a member of the men's team therefore I only need to pay $79 for the women's add on. She finally understood and agreed with me.

It's strange that I had to explain again to someone from the membership team what their own products are.

I'm just wondering how many other people have been through this and how many have just not bothered to be a member after being stuffed around.

Just an update on this, I had to ring the club again and explain that my AFLW membership add on hadn't been put through, this time it was a different girl who knew what she was doing and she processed it straight away.

Then a couple of days ago a girl from the membership department rings me again and says I've mistakenly been charged $79 for a junior membership and need to pay $115.
I then had to explain to her that I don't need to pay $115 because I am already a member of the men's team therefore I only need to pay $79 for the women's add on. She finally understood and agreed with me.

It's strange that I had to explain again to someone from the membership team what their own products are.

I'm just wondering how many other people have been through this and how many have just not bothered to be a member after being stuffed around.

You should send the feedback to the membership dept. They have put a huge amount of work into member interaction and would be disappointed with this. It's not really about complaining about individuals as much as alerting the dept that more training needs to be undertaken. If it's happened to you there is a high chance it happens to others.

I'm sorry if this has been answered already but I purchased an AFLW Foundation membership family (2 adults + 2 children), the packs came with no cards just a couple of lapels (for the two adults in the membership) and a QR barcode on each pack to download the app.

I've downloaded the app and it has a section for membership and "my tickets" of which it says SEC: MISC2 ROW:3 SEAT:12

It also lists it as a family ticket (2 adults + 2 children).

Is that a reserved seat or just giving me access to the games in general?

I'm a little confused as to what i'd show them on entry, the digital membership on the app? (note: it currently just shows details, doesn't have any barcodes for entry scanning, just an account number).

I'm sorry if this has been answered already but I purchased an AFLW Foundation membership family (2 adults + 2 children), the packs came with no cards just a couple of lapels (for the two adults in the membership) and a QR barcode on each pack to download the app.

I've downloaded the app and it has a section for membership and "my tickets" of which it says SEC: MISC2 ROW:3 SEAT:12

It also lists it as a family ticket (2 adults + 2 children).

Is that a reserved seat or just giving me access to the games in general?

I'm a little confused as to what i'd show them on entry, the digital membership on the app? (note: it currently just shows details, doesn't have any barcodes for entry scanning, just an account number).

You won't need your membership to access AFLW games as they are free entry. Only exception are games that are likely to be lockouts and will be ticketed (Punt Rd games have been mentioned) where a small fee will be charged that will probably go to the ticketing agency. I doubt membership will eliminate this fee.

Stand to be corrected but I don't believe there is reserved seating at AFLW matches.

You should still get cards though. I purchased an AFLW membership back when they were first offered and received a card.
1574233577365.png

Anyone who purchased foundation memberships earlier this year will still need to purchase a membership for 2020 to be a member next year I'm told. The 2020 membership will probably again give access to 3 AFL home games and "VIP seating" for VFLW games. Must admit I went to a few VFLW games and I didn't see any VIP seating area though. No biggy. Always got a seat in the stand.

This was what was on the club website early March 2019:

The membership will offer Tiger fans the opportunity to forever become a foundation member of the Tigers’ AFLW team, set to enter the competition next year.

100 per cent of the profits from the Women’s Football Foundation Membership’s will support the Richmond Women’s football program.

Supporters who join on the new membership this year will have the first opportunity to be recognised as Richmond AFLW Foundation members from 2020.

As well as being pioneers, Foundation members will also receive access to three 2019 Richmond AFL home games at the MCG, VIP seating in the Jack Dyer Stand at VFLW home games, and a 2019 membership fulfilment pack.

Last edited:
Richmond, Geelong to play round four AFLW 2020 season match on Bendigo's QEO
Anthony Pinda
Bendigo Advertiser

There have been a few historic moments that have taken place on the Queen Elizabeth Oval.
There will now be one more to add to the list.
Richmond will host Geelong for an AFLW match in round four of the 2020 season at the QEO, the first time one of the league's matches has been played on Bendigo's premier oval.
The game will take place on Saturday February 29 with the first bounce at 3.10pm.
The announcement comes after a VFLW match was held at the QEO earlier this year between the Tigers and Demons.

Historic first AFLW game to be played at the QEO in 2020
Historic first AFLW game to be played at the QEO in 2020

Growing up as a keen footballer, Kodi Jacques never imagined that one day she would play in the AFLW.

Let alone an AFLW match back on the oval where her career began, Bendigo's QEO.
Richmond will host Geelong for an AFLW game in round four of the 2020 season at the QEO, the first time one of the league's matches has been played on Bendigo's premier oval.

"It's going to be so special as I know the community in Bendigo gets around women's sport and especially football," Jacques said.

BACK AT HOME: Bendigo football product Kodi Jacques can't wait for the opportunity to play on the QEO in her debut season as an AFLW player. Picture: GLENN DANIELS

BACK AT HOME: Bendigo football product Kodi Jacques can't wait for the opportunity to play on the QEO in her debut season as an AFLW player. Picture: GLENN DANIELS

"It will be a very entertaining game for the fans that come to watch.
"It's great for local athletes such as myself and Grace Campbell to play on the oval where we started our careers."
Both Jacques and Campbell played with the Bendigo Thunder before joining the Tigers in the VFLW and eventually the AFLW.
Jacques, Campbell and former Thunder player Sarah Last all played in the VFLW Tigers' match against the Casey Demons at the QEO earlier this year.

Grace Campbell. Picture: RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB

Grace Campbell. Picture: RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB

But to be able to do it again in her first year as an AFLW player, Jacques couldn't be more thrilled.
"I can get pretty nervous running out in any game, but especially back home in front of family and friends..but I can't wait for the opportunity," Jacques said.
"To be able to showcase women's football for the nation but specifically in Bendigo is great.
"Richmond is such a historic club to be a part of and I'm so grateful to be there.
"With the four new teams in the competition this year there will be even more talent and skills in the league.
"It's the fastest growing women's sport in Australia.
"All of the players work so hard during the pre-season, so the league will be even better this year."

Richmond Football Club CEO Brendon Gale described the AFLW's growth as "seismic".
"Credit to the AFL and Gillon McLachlan for their inspired leadership four or five years ago when they said they were going to make it happen," Gale said.
"They said they would commit to a competition and that's what they've done."
The league then held its inaugural season in 2017.
Gale said the competition had created new pathways for young girls to play Australian rules.
"It's great on all fronts. At the club we're passionate about diversity and equity," he said.
"First and foremost the opportunity to have a women's team in the VFLW and now AFLW creates pathways for young girls to play for Richmond.
"In addition to the excitement and participation at a junior level. I have daughters who play football in Melbourne and the numbers are getting better and better."
The match between the Tigers and Cats will be played on Saturday February 29, first bounce at 3.10pm.
"The QEO is an awesome facility with a truly beautiful oval," Gale said.
"Bendigo is also a prominent part of our next generation academy, we cover a big expanse through the regional areas to promote our club and the AFL brand.
"So to be able to do this through the women's competition makes it even more exciting."
1574645909242.gif 1574645909087.gif 1574645909182.gif 1574645909150.gif 1574645909117.gif 1574645909211.gif 1574645909612.gif 1574645909336.gif 1574645909457.gif 1574645909368.gif 1574645909305.gif 1574645909275.gif 1574645909426.gif 1574645909518.gif 1574645909396.gif 1574645909242.gif 1574645909087.gif 1574645909182.gif 1574645909150.gif 1574645909117.gif 1574645909211.gif 1574645909612.gif 1574645909336.gif 1574645909457.gif 1574645909368.gif 1574645909305.gif 1574645909275.gif 1574645909426.gif 1574645909518.gif 1574645909396.gif

We may not get to see the girls play an AFLW game at Punt Rd.

Hey Tigers AFLW fans

Too Serious will be holding our 2nd season of AFLW based competition in 2020 during the 2020 AFLW home and away season, building on the success of our 8 team, 7 week competition in 2019.

As AFLW Draftstars is only a weekly comp we are one of the few full season fantasy comps on offer for AFLW next season – the other I know about is at SuperCoach Talk see https://supercoachtalk.com/aflw-fantasy-final-results/ for details of their 2019 competition. Hopefully success of our comp and others elsewhere will lead to SuperCoach and RealDream team comps further down the track.

We are looking to grow numbers substantially so whether you are an AFLW fanatic, general fantasy football or fantasy sports fan or both please consider having a crack at either a keeper league or draft format competition (or both). Also pass on the word to your family, mates and fantasy league buddies if you think they would be keen. Multiple leagues can be formed depending on how many entries we receive.

If your fantasy football site of choice for AFL mens comps is elsewhere that is no issue and this comp will slot in nicely with those who compete in BBL supercoach and AFL Supercoach and AFL Fantasy comps.

Imagine your excitement as you draft the likes of Conti, Brennan, and a stack of emerging Tigers Superstars and the crème de la crème of the 13 other AFLW sides and battle it out against your fellow league coaches each week.

As the AFLW season commences on Friday 7th February, 2020 pre-season drafts for AFLW comps will need to commence on or around Friday 24th January, depending on league size (ie 6 to 12 teams). AFLW player positions, league draft order, league draft starting time and other details for 2020 will therefore be finalized and listed by Thursday 16th January.

To join up for 2020 ORFFW comps either send me a Direct/Personal message here at Big Footy, click on the link below or send me a tweet or DM at MystixORFFW @MOrffw indicating whether your preference is for a keeper league, annual draft league, or you are willing to have sign up for one of each.

Cheers TTH

Last edited:
2019/20 AFLW off-season review: Richmond
December 17, 2019 by Taylah Melki
draftcentral.com.au

THE Richmond Tigers are one of the four expansion teams set to join the AFLW in 2020 and will be looking to make a splash after recruiting some key players who they can build an exciting framework around for years to come. They boast a mix of experience and youth but most importantly have that unpredictable edge that many teams will be looking to combat.
With the likes of marquee forwards Sabrina Frederick and Katie Brennan both set to pull on the yellow and black in 2020 expect plenty of excitement with the two able to hit the scoreboard and lead up at the footy time and time again. Frederick can switch into the ruck when needed, while Brennan is known for her silky movement and conversion rate in front of goal. Youngster Monique Conti also made the switch from the Western Bulldogs over the off-season and will be hoping to bring her signature game play to her new club. Christina Bernardi will suit up for her third club having played with Collingwood and GWS making her a handy inclusion in the side. Bernardi adds a touch of class across the ground and paired with a host of ‘A’ listers Richmond could be in good stead for a 2020 grand final push. Iilish Ross defected from Collingwood to Richmond with the 20-year-old set to have an impact in her new colours after building throughout the 2019 season, meanwhile Maddy Brancatisano also switched jumpers.

Potential 2020 side:
B: Laura McClelland – Laura Bailey – Rebecca Miller
HB: Phoebe Monahan – Iilish Ross – Akec Makur Chuot
C: Monique Conti
HF: Christina Bernardi – Katie Brennan – Maddy Brancatisano
F: Holly Whitford – Sabrina Frederick – Tayla Stahl
R: Gabby Seymour* – Hannah Burchell – Kate Dempsey
INT: Courtney Wakefield – Sophie Molan – Alice Edmonds – Grace Campbell – Kodi Jacques
EMG: Ella Wood – Cleo-Saxon-Jones – Sarah Sansonetti
DEPTH: Nekaela Butler, Ciara Fitzgerald, Emily Harley, Emma Horne, Lauren Tesoriero, Alana Woodward
The Tigers pre-listed Laura Bailey and Kate Dempsey who already had strong connections to the club thanks to playing with them in their VFLW side. Dempsey was a standout for Richmond throughout her time in the VFLW consistently displaying her elite foot-skills and will be a handy inclusion looking ahead to next year. They were not the only ones pre-listed to Richmond with Alana Woodward snatched up and Grace Egan making her way onto the list making for a pretty stacked line-up.
The Tigers also picked up some young draftees in the likes of Sophie Molan who became the clubs first AFLW draftee. Expect the talented midfielder to push for selection come Round 1 renowned for her classy on-field work and strong leadership. She has experience against the bigger bodies having played with the Dogs in the VFLW so knows what it takes to combat the more elite players. Other draftees such as GWV Rebels teammate Ella Wood will also pull on the yellow and black in 2020. Hailing from the Eastern Ranges, Laura McClelland will be another star of the future for Richmond and will give the side something to build upon such is her talent. Northern Knights product Sarah Sansonetti will be a valued addition to the side in the back half with the dashing defender not afraid to take the game on and go for a bounce while NAB League teammate Ciara Fitzgerald was also drafted to Richmond. Although she may not be ready for Round 1 given the Tigers’ strength in attack, Cleo Saxon-Jones is definitely a player with plenty of potential and raw talent who can take a strong mark when needed and will feature at some stage during the season.

2019/20 AFLW off-season review: Richmond
December 17, 2019 by Taylah Melki
draftcentral.com.au

THE Richmond Tigers are one of the four expansion teams set to join the AFLW in 2020 and will be looking to make a splash after recruiting some key players who they can build an exciting framework around for years to come. They boast a mix of experience and youth but most importantly have that unpredictable edge that many teams will be looking to combat.
With the likes of marquee forwards Sabrina Frederick and Katie Brennan both set to pull on the yellow and black in 2020 expect plenty of excitement with the two able to hit the scoreboard and lead up at the footy time and time again. Frederick can switch into the ruck when needed, while Brennan is known for her silky movement and conversion rate in front of goal. Youngster Monique Conti also made the switch from the Western Bulldogs over the off-season and will be hoping to bring her signature game play to her new club. Christina Bernardi will suit up for her third club having played with Collingwood and GWS making her a handy inclusion in the side. Bernardi adds a touch of class across the ground and paired with a host of ‘A’ listers Richmond could be in good stead for a 2020 grand final push. Iilish Ross defected from Collingwood to Richmond with the 20-year-old set to have an impact in her new colours after building throughout the 2019 season, meanwhile Maddy Brancatisano also switched jumpers.

Potential 2020 side:
B: Laura McClelland – Laura Bailey – Rebecca Miller
HB: Phoebe Monahan – Iilish Ross – Akec Makur Chuot
C: Monique Conti
HF: Christina Bernardi – Katie Brennan – Maddy Brancatisano
F: Holly Whitford – Sabrina Frederick – Tayla Stahl
R: Gabby Seymour* – Hannah Burchell – Kate Dempsey
INT: Courtney Wakefield – Sophie Molan – Alice Edmonds – Grace Campbell – Kodi Jacques
EMG: Ella Wood – Cleo-Saxon-Jones – Sarah Sansonetti
DEPTH: Nekaela Butler, Ciara Fitzgerald, Emily Harley, Emma Horne, Lauren Tesoriero, Alana Woodward
The Tigers pre-listed Laura Bailey and Kate Dempsey who already had strong connections to the club thanks to playing with them in their VFLW side. Dempsey was a standout for Richmond throughout her time in the VFLW consistently displaying her elite foot-skills and will be a handy inclusion looking ahead to next year. They were not the only ones pre-listed to Richmond with Alana Woodward snatched up and Grace Egan making her way onto the list making for a pretty stacked line-up.
The Tigers also picked up some young draftees in the likes of Sophie Molan who became the clubs first AFLW draftee. Expect the talented midfielder to push for selection come Round 1 renowned for her classy on-field work and strong leadership. She has experience against the bigger bodies having played with the Dogs in the VFLW so knows what it takes to combat the more elite players. Other draftees such as GWV Rebels teammate Ella Wood will also pull on the yellow and black in 2020. Hailing from the Eastern Ranges, Laura McClelland will be another star of the future for Richmond and will give the side something to build upon such is her talent. Northern Knights product Sarah Sansonetti will be a valued addition to the side in the back half with the dashing defender not afraid to take the game on and go for a bounce while NAB League teammate Ciara Fitzgerald was also drafted to Richmond. Although she may not be ready for Round 1 given the Tigers’ strength in attack, Cleo Saxon-Jones is definitely a player with plenty of potential and raw talent who can take a strong mark when needed and will feature at some stage during the season.

Mentions Grace Egan but think she means Grace Campbell. Think we will be in a spot of bother if we find Bailey and Ross lining up at Full Back and Centre Half Back. Brennan will definitely get a crack as a mid. Need her there.

JAN 9. 2020. 7:00 AM
Players' survey: Which new team will be the best in 2020?
Sarah Black

TR251119DB0432.JPG

THERE'S a growing rumble to the east of Melbourne, and it's originating from Punt Road.
Richmond is one of the premier teams in the AFL competition, and is now poised to take the NAB AFLW competition by storm in its first season, according to the AFLW players themselves.
The Tigers received six of 14 votes for "best new team" – with one player anonymously surveyed from each club – with West Coast hot on their heels with four. St Kilda was named by three players, while just one said Gold Coast.

List manager Kate Sheahan hit her first signing period with a vengeance, employing a slightly different approach to other expansion sides.
The Tigers brought in two former marquee players (Katie Brennan and Sabrina Frederick), the 2018 Grand Final best-on-ground winner (Monique Conti) and an All Australian forward (Christina Bernardi).

In total Richmond added just eight existing AFLW players during that period, filling up the rest of its list with its VFLW players and through the NAB AFLW Draft (nine of whom were 18-year-olds).
By contrast, the other expansion sides added a higher number of players from other AFLW clubs.
One surveyed player gave Richmond the nod on the back of its recruiting plan.
"Richmond, for its firepower and its mix of experience and youth," she said.
Voting results
6 – Richmond
4 – West Coast
3 – St Kilda
1 – Gold Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1578617476914.png

[TD valign="top"] Be part of history by securing your access to the inaugural AFLW season launch!
Join the Richmond Football Club in welcoming and celebrating our inaugural AFLW team with Richmond staff, board members, players and supporters. Be part of history as the women are introduced and presented with their inaugural guernseys ahead of their first season in the yellow and black!
Inclusions:
  • Historic access to the inaugural season launch, located at Swinburne Centre, Punt Road Oval
  • Roaming canapes and food stations
  • Full beverage package inclusive of spirits, ales, wines and non-alcoholic beverages
  • Live entertainment, guest speakers and exclusive host Sam Lane
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Dress Code
Smart casual
Details:
Thursday January 23 - 6:30-9pm. Swinburne Centre, Punt Road Oval.
Price
$115 per person
Discounts apply for AFLW Player Sponsors[/TD]

View attachment 804145

[TD valign="top"] Be part of history by securing your access to the inaugural AFLW season launch!
Join the Richmond Football Club in welcoming and celebrating our inaugural AFLW team with Richmond staff, board members, players and supporters. Be part of history as the women are introduced and presented with their inaugural guernseys ahead of their first season in the yellow and black!
Inclusions:
  • Historic access to the inaugural season launch, located at Swinburne Centre, Punt Road Oval
  • Roaming canapes and food stations
  • Full beverage package inclusive of spirits, ales, wines and non-alcoholic beverages
  • Live entertainment, guest speakers and exclusive host Sam Lane
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Dress Code
Smart casual
Details:
Thursday January 23 - 6:30-9pm. Swinburne Centre, Punt Road Oval.
Price
$115 per person
Discounts apply for AFLW Player Sponsors[/TD]

AFLW Player Sponsors get it for $99

Mentions Grace Egan but think she means Grace Campbell. Think we will be in a spot of bother if we find Bailey and Ross lining up at Full Back and Centre Half Back. Brennan will definitely get a crack as a mid. Need her there.
As of late they have picked/shown sides in backline/forward line configuration in no particular order
Much like our AFL backline was shown:
Broad, Grimes, Astbury
Short, Vlastuin, Houli
Agree Brennan will be in the Midfield

As of late they have picked/shown sides in backline/forward line configuration in no particular order
Much like our AFL backline was shown:
Broad, Grimes, Astbury
Short, Vlastuin, Houli
Agree Brennan will be in the Midfield

Yeah but with the men’s team that’s the club sending the team to the media outlets to publish. They just throw names around. Eg Shedda named CHF for most of 2017.

The AFLW was a potential R1 side by someone doing a review and just like we would do pretty sure the players are named in positions she thinks they would play in.

AFLW
HOW MANY STAR PLAYERS DOES YOUR AFLW SIDE HAVE?
BY NIC NEGREPONTIS
VWPFCoSS19DB1167.JPG

As the AFLW competition continues to expand, one of the key things to balance is the dispersion of elite talent.
The expansion teams have all taken different approaches to building their squads, with different rules in place for the four teams coming in this year, as opposed to Geelong and North Melbourne last season.

North were given a lot of wiggle room to sign players and they took full advantage of that allowance, while Geelong received the top two picks in the draft.
St Kilda AFLW coach Peta Searle admits she was a bit annoyed at not getting some of the advantages the Roos and Cats received.
“Oh 100% (it was frustrating),” she told SEN's The Boundary AFLW Podcast.
“I feel like there have been a lot of kickbacks in that sense.
“We can’t do anything about it. That’s what we have been given. We still believe strongly in what we have got and our job is to grow and make everyone better footballers.”
With 14 teams now in the competition, here’s how the top 40 players (as of the beginning of the 2020 season) are spread out.
at in 2020.

Richmond club banner

Top 40 players: Monique Conti, Sabrina Frederick, Christina Bernardi and Katie Brennan
The Tigers signed three star forwards to build their team around in Bernardi, Frederick and Brennan.

All three are flexible enough to play all over the field and give the Tigers a hand wherever it is needed.

Conti meanwhile is one of the competition’s brightest young midfielders and could be anything with the team built around her.

With Mon Conti potentially missing early games what does the Richmond midfield depth chart look like early on (in order).

Also which players are most likely to be playing the rebounding half back roles in 2020 based on VFLW and preseason ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back