List Mgmt. 2020: Death Riding Melbourne [NMFC owns MFC's 1st (#9) & 4th (#64) 2020 picks] - Keep Your Eye on the Red and the Blue

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that Giantroo......further to that,.....does that mean they go down a pick or two....apologies I've taken no notice of the points system....
Yes.

Each pick has a points value. Pick 1 (3000), etc . For Pick 1 you must have the full allocation of points (3000) to keep the pick even though you may have enough to cover pick 2 (2,517).

From there, you just minus the point deficit (265) and you get the table I've posted.

1599480515067.png 1599480663454.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh FFS, I assumed no-one here would be so virtue signalling as to make such a point.

For the record, I used these players as examples of extremely poor use of top 5 picks - outside those already mentioned. The point stands irrespective of subsequent events. The waste of those picks was pure incompetence by Melbourne.
All im saying is there are plenty more to chose from that we can leave him out of it. No one is saying you're wrong mate.

Oh FFS, I assumed no-one here would be so virtue signalling as to make such a point.

For the record, I used these players as examples of extremely poor use of top 5 picks - outside those already mentioned. The point stands irrespective of subsequent events. The waste of those picks was pure incompetence by Melbourne.
Still a pretty poor example, Sylvia showed plenty in the peak of his career and McLean was a gun before suffering debilitating ankle injuries circa 2008 where he lost all pace. The 2003 draft was a shocker in general so that definitely wasn’t the worst haul.

Hard to say whether it was our drafting or our development that was shocking from 2007 - 2012. We will never know.
Can’t fault much since then however 👍🏻

Still a pretty poor example, Sylvia showed plenty in the peak of his career and McLean was a gun before suffering debilitating ankle injuries circa 2008 where he lost all pace. The 2003 draft was a shocker in general so that definitely wasn’t the worst haul.

Hard to say whether it was our drafting or our development that was shocking from 2007 - 2012. We will never know.
Can’t fault much since then however 👍🏻

Not so sure about that.

My brothers in North, I put my hand up in this thread long ago - please remember that. Dees will beat Doggies next week. You are right to highlight our dreadful recruiting over the years. With the help of hindsight, who does not have cause to weep?

And where is my old mate Snake Baker, otherwise known as Meltdown Mario? I so miss those days on the Bay.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that.
Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Weideman, Jackson & Salem are our only top 10 picks since 2013

2 stars, 2 solid 200+ game players and a young ruckman who has showed good signs early

I would say that reads pretty great

Played around with some ladder predictors, it is highly probable that they play finals. Real shame, for a while there I thought this was going to be steal of the century but we could end up with egg on our face here.

Played around with some ladder predictors, it is highly probable that they play finals.

They were always a solid chance to play finals, and now some of the gloaters around here have to eat humble pie.

Wasn't a few weeks ago their CEO or Pres grilled them post game about the jumper?

Best of luck to them, but a few wins against poor opposition doesn't constitute 'turning it around'.

We criticise our development, but it's an indictment on clubs like Carlton/Melbourne/Brisbane who have had extended access to high draft picks and still haven't gotten anywhere near being consistently good football sides.

But like St Kilda these clubs win more than two in a row and they're world beaters. Lets see if any of the clubs mentioned above can turn up when the heat is on for the rest of the season.

Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Weideman, Jackson & Salem are our only top 10 picks since 2013

2 stars, 2 solid 200+ game players and a young ruckman who has showed good signs early

So only top 10 picks count as drafting? is pretty hard to mess up a top 10 pick. that's also a shitload of top 10 picks in such a short time.
Also jury is still out an many of the players you mentioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So only top 10 picks count as drafting? is pretty hard to mess up a top 10 pick. that's also a shitload of top 10 picks in such a short time.
Also jury is still out an many of the players you mentioned.
Who is the jury out on?

Maybe Brayshaw and Salem to an extent but with 100 odd games under their belt the likelihood of them playing 200 games is pretty high

Do you only consider top 10 picks as drafting?
Not at all. Drafting as a whole has been pretty good over the last 5-6 years

Picking up decent players with later picks has been alright for a while it was nailing the top picks that let us done between 08-12

Not at all. Drafting as a whole has been pretty good over the last 5-6 years

Picking up decent players with later picks has been alright for a while it was nailing the top picks that let us done between 08-12

I wouldn't state that. Melbourne focused intensely on "hardness" due to the prevailing view of it's football at the time, and went in a little heavy handed at the expense of outside speed & class.

This is why you had to launch at wing men last year.

I wouldn't state that. Melbourne focused intensely on "hardness" due to the prevailing view of it's football at the time, and went in a little heavy handed at the expense of outside speed & class.

This is why you had to launch at wing men last year.
The diversity in the type of player definitely wasn't there

But the quality of the players picked has been pretty solid

It really takes some incredible mental gymnastics to claim half of the horrendous Tyson + Salem = Josh Kelly trade as a drafting win.

It really takes some incredible mental gymnastics to claim half of the horrendous Tyson + Salem = Josh Kelly trade as a drafting win.
The trade wasn't the best but we were talking about drafting not trading

Some of our trading has/is still pretty ordinary

I would agree with that. On the right track after years of getting it wrong. But you've been consistently getting top 10 picks over a long period and that's not a luxury that we've had.

9 out of 10 posters say we never take a chance or do anything ballsy at the trade period or draft as soon as we do we get i told you so. Lets see what happens. We dont even know who pick 12 will be if indeed it is pick 12.
I would have been very happy if we'd taken Pickett with pick 8 personally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back