2020 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about the double-ups.

West Coast will probably be good. Bulldogs I expect to be. St Kilda is probably the biggest unknown quantity in the league next year. Melbourne should be good (but may also Melbourne again.)

There's a decent chance 4/5 of our double-ups will be very competitive.

Thursday/Friday probably doesn't matter. It'd be nice to have for club revenue and exposure, but getting to finals is probably a more important priority then the days we play.

The thing is we could create an 'will be competitive' narrative for everyone double up:

- Geelong/Brisbane/Richmond/Collingwood/Weagles/GWS/Bulldogs/Bombers: All finalists from last year
- Hawthorn/Sydney: Never discount either team
- Port and Crows: We play the AO terribly and whilst they may be on the decline they both finished above us last year
- North and Saints: New coach bounce and were much better in second half of 2019
- Melbourne: Prelim finalists 12 months ago
- Carlton: On the rise and most people's smokies for next season
- Suns: They beat us last year

If we'd have picked the ideal match ups then I suspect we'd have gone Suns, Saints, North, Crows plus the Eagles - but I don't think where we've landed is too bad at all

One game at the G is pretty ******
It was expected to be honest.

I was surprised we got 2 or 3 games at the MCG in 2017 to be honest against Richmond and Demons.

Saying that, I am happy to have 2 games at Adelaide oval as I think Freo might get a win there in 2020.

Should get 9-12 wins.

We are either going to make it or just miss out

If we get 120 games out of Fyfe, Walters, Lobb, Hogan, Hamling and Pearce we can play finals.
Its a potentially brutal draw. I am not confident of the 1st 2 games of Essendon away and Hawks at home.

Demons at the MCG and Suns home are winnable.

I think the Double up games of Suns, Demons, dogs, Saints and eagles will decide if we make finals

The thing is we could create an 'will be competitive' narrative for everyone double up:

- Geelong/Brisbane/Richmond/Collingwood/Weagles/GWS/Bulldogs/Bombers: All finalists from last year
- Hawthorn/Sydney: Never discount either team
- Port and Crows: We play the AO terribly and whilst they may be on the decline they both finished above us last year
- North and Saints: New coach bounce and were much better in second half of 2019
- Melbourne: Prelim finalists 12 months ago
- Carlton: On the rise and most people's smokies for next season
- Suns: They beat us last year

If we'd have picked the ideal match ups then I suspect we'd have gone Suns, Saints, North, Crows plus the Eagles - but I don't think where we've landed is too bad at all

You could create a "could be competitive" narrative for every team. But that doesn't change the fact some teams are way more likely to be good then others, and that it's preferable to have the teams less likely to be good then more likely. And I'd put more way more faith in Melbourne being better then us then Carlton, and for West Coast over GWS. Which is why I stand by saying there's a good chance our double-ups will be looking tough next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a potentially brutal draw. I am not confident of the 1st 2 games of Essendon away and Hawks at home.

Demons at the MCG and Suns home are winnable.

I think the Double up games of Suns, Demons, dogs, Saints and eagles will decide if we make finals

If this is a potentially brutal draw there is no such thing as a good draw. It’s easily on paper the best we have had for a long long time.

Draw looks OK. If coaching/fitness teams are up to scratch, we can sneak 12 wins and make the finals. That would be my pass mark.

AFL.com ranking ours as the easiest fixture of all teams - hard to disagree
There's probably no more useless and inaccurate indulgence than ranking a draw from here I reckon (except maybe rating draft hauls the day after the draft). So many changeable variables, it's really done for the sake of generating content.
If this is a potentially brutal draw there is no such thing as a good draw. It’s easily on paper the best we have had for a long long time.
How do you compare it really? It's a bit like saying "this is the best steak I've ever had". Of course there's no replaying that in a year or two, when we eat the next "best steak I've ever had".

There's probably no more useless and inaccurate indulgence than ranking a draw from here I reckon (except maybe rating draft hauls the day after the draft). So many changeable variables, it's really done for the sake of generating content.

How do you compare it really? It's a bit like saying "this is the best steak I've ever had". Of course there's no replaying that in a year or two, when we eat the next "best steak I've ever had".

We get to play a lot of the good teams at home and the double ups aren't as bad as they could have been. Its a good draw.

Exactly. Who saw Melbourne becoming a speed-bump for most teams or Brisbane being a viable threat to the top teams?

How do you compare it really?
I think you have to wait until the end of the season.

We could have a fixture that looks like we are playing the entire bottom five twice, hopefully adding 5 extra wins, that turns out to be the top five teams twice and we lose all ten of those games.

The teams we play twice have a material impact on our result pre finals. Sydney managed to do well out of smashing GWS twice for a percentage boost in 2012 to 2014. Two grand finals after top four finishes, except 2014 that extra game pushed them into the top four.

If we finish with middling results but smash the bottom sides to put us 4% above the other teams on 44 points, suddenly we play finals.

So we will find out by the end of the year if it was a good draw. Whether we can adapt to a new plan, if we are going to, quick enough to not start too far behind will be a big determining factor.

Awesome - so you came on the thread about the fixture to tell us that judging the fixture is a pointless exercise...

Awesome - so you came on the thread about the fixture to tell us that judging the fixture is a pointless exercise...
Like most things, the merit and truth is in the specifics and detail. Impressionistic and sweeping easy/medium/hard ratings with a moveable feast like the draw have merit mostly in entertainment value, so maybe not completely pointless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back