List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Neville Stibbard - who also recruited for North Melbourne during their halcyon period of the 1990’s and also worked at the Western Bulldogs with success
Thanks - turns out that there was an article earlier this year that confirmed that he picked the U17 kids but also did recruiting for the following years' draft.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Terrific man Nev.

"Never pass judgement on a young player until he's played 50 games. Takes them that long typically to feel comfortable in the side and adjust to the speed and pressure of highest level footy".

Wise words I recall him telling me after Drew Petrie's first game many eons ago.

I dug up the stats a while back, and he really didn't. Note to methodology - I consider a "hit" where we got the benefit of the player's prime, so Corr is a hit. Adams is not.

He didn't pick the 17 year olds, which had a very good strike rate compared to GC.

He had part of picking that first draft, but a lot of the work was also done by someone who left beforehand (can't remember his name now). It had a pretty good strike rate, even discarding guys like Adams (left immediately) or Sumner (complete bust).

The next few drafts, until he left, were very poor. Two hits from six top 30 picks. Two hits from four top 30 picks. One from five top 25 picks (Steele left after SOS departed so I'll give him credit for that). Top 30 picks shouldn't necessarily be sure things, but you should be around a 75% strike rate of at least contributors. SOS went at 33%, with all time busts like O'Rourke, Pickett and Jaksch to his name.
A big issue with SOS is how he missed as well.
I have no drama picking someone like Boyd (who we were well compensated for) who was a near consensus pick not coming through. But if you are continually reaching, going outside the box and missing such as the names above, plus many others that is an issue. Outside our very first draft, which Im fairly sure he had very little involvement in, despite lots of early picks outside the very early picks (Whitfield & Kelly) he barely nabbed anyone above average. I cant recall him ever nailing a smokey late or even a gem in the 20's. He's drafting record is poor. As I said above, I've previously let him off with Grundy, eveyone gets them wrong and maybe he saw a weakness he didnt think could be overcome. But once the Head and assitant coach make him a priority and you have 5 picks before he goes, this now in my mind is a much bigger error than it was yesterday.
I do think that SOS traded well, very well in a lot cases and he got plenty back for our exiting players.

Caruso has drafted really well, has a very different approach to trading draft picks im my mind. It's not about winning trades and getting maximum value, it is about getting the right players in. Trade away next year, might be too much, but we get our man. Maybe he's worth more, but its enough to get the guy I want, sort of approach.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I’m interested to hear from Aidan Corr as to why he felt the need to announce he was leaving early and then was in such a rush to get away.

On face value it appears a disloyal dog act against his team mates and the club that drafted him and and developed and supported him over a number of years.

I’m interested to hear from Aidan Corr as to why he felt the need to announce he was leaving early and then was in such a rush to get away.

On face value it appears a disloyal dog act against his team mates and the club that drafted him and and developed and supported him over a number of years.
I can see both sides

On the other hand, maybe he thought it would be good for his teammates to hear it from him first. Especially considering that they are still in the hub for one more week and seeing each other every day.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I can see both sides

On the other hand, maybe he thought it would be good for his teammates to hear it from him first. Especially considering that they are still in the hub for one more week and seeing each other every day.

Maybe, but from the outside it looks like he figured he wouldn’t get back in because of his injury and decided he didn’t want to support his simply teammates. He has been frequently injured and given a lot of patience and support from the club.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS

No. That’s not him. There would be fair reasons for all of his choices.
He’s a free agent.. he needs to make a choice that’s best for his future.
Letting the club know earlier rather than later helps the club make their own decisions.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
No. That’s not him. There would be fair reasons for all of his choices.
He’s a free agent.. he needs to make a choice that’s best for his future.
Letting the club know earlier rather than later helps the club make their own decisions.

Then why not do that but complete your obligations and support your team mates. By what the coach said today his team mates are disappointed with him.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Then why not do that but complete your obligations and support your team mates. By what the coach said today his team mates are disappointed with him.
I don't think the North players care all that much :tearsofjoy:

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Ummm is this good or bad when it comes to Cameron?

That's unexpected (and almost disappointing).

I half assume we'd only re-sign him if we know Cameron is going.
Yep, have to think that means a good chance that Jezza is off, :( .

Not really happy with that - I figured this year was a once-off due to COVID circumstances.

If so, the only upside would be if we can retain others, such as Williams, Perryman & Kelly.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Yep, have to think that means a good chance that Jezza is off, :( .

Not really happy with that - I figured this year was a once-off due to COVID circumstances.

If so, the only upside would be if we can retain others, such as Williams, Perryman & Kelly.

I don't like that Jeremy has talked in interviews about the Covid pay cut and it affecting already signed deals. Signals that money is his motivation. He has been paid extremely well for a long time and everybody has taken cuts this year. Far harder for minimum wage players than big earners.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Of all the players out of contract, Finlayson was the one I fully expected to be shown the door.

I'm not sure this is a good move by your club here, he's bloody lazy and lacks urgency, something the Giants can ill afford to tolerate.

I wouldn’t say he’s lazy, I reckon the main knock is that he is inclined to drop his head when things aren’t going his way.

He’s not as adept at hiding the way he’s feeling and can give off really poor body language. He’s done it a couple of times and it’s just not acceptable. On the positive side he is a smooth mover and has a lovely left foot kick on him, very skilled.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I call him "lazy" because he just refuses to chase unless the opposition player is in very close proximity. I have paid particular attention to him the last few games and it is more than just noticeable.
We have 2 other tall forwards with a similar attribute, far from a deal breaker for us

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Its not a good trait to have amongst your forwards though, the ball disappears out of your scoring zone too quickly & too easily if they don't apply enough pressure.
Yes I know, I've been watching it for a few years lmao

We have 2 other tall forwards with a similar attribute, far from a deal breaker for us
Really?
I reckon HH and Jezza chase pretty well.
Finlayson only if is likely to be rewarded

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Really?
I reckon HH and Jezza chase pretty well.
Finlayson only if is likely to be rewarded
Jezza I question on it, when he's kicked one or two he'll work harder than anyone but often needs the goal to get rolling. HH I'm probably being harsh on I'll admit

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
You'd think that has all changed after last night. If Soldo misses most of next year, along with CCJ suspended for several weeks at the start of the year, I doubt Nank will be released.

But yes, in theory, he was probably the most likely guy that suited us.
Correct Soldo going down probably until 2022 imo has thrown a spanner in the works unless its a deal we cant refuse
Also believe we will try to keep CCJ as well with whats being mentioned around the traps

But if we win the flag this year and CCJ stays there could still be a slight posibility that nank gets a better deal than we can pay him

Back