List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
I don't support GWS. I am just talking facts. Are you colour blind too? A club which had virtually no salary cap in its first couple of seasons was always going to struggle to retain some of their players when the afl tightened their cap at a moment's notice. Nothing to do with culture

You pointed out that I said the Giants can't attract talent - then listed players prior to the 2 year period I was quoting. I simply corrected what you said, given that you misrepresented what I said.

I already exited this conversation hours ago, so not sure what you're piling on for, when it has nothing to do with your club.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Your comments are so inaccurate.
Deleido's comments related to the culture of the players doing too much themselves as players, under pressure. They try to win it themselves. Interestingly when you win doing that, everyone lauds the player standing up in the big moment. I think it is fair criticism from delidio. But completely irrelevant to this conversation.

Has our club retained anyone of note, let me think. Toby, Haynes, Cogs, Whitfield and Kelly have all basically signed for life. All on good money, why would that be, maybe cause they are very good players being chased by all and sundry. All of them could have got more money elsewhere. Cogs left $1.4mil on the table. Kelly and Whitfield both knocked back offers for significantly more. Kelly took just over half according to one report (which may not be accurate)

Ill do the easy bit first, no good players have come. How about Patful, Shaw, Mumford, Delidio and Griffen in a quick think. Haven't really been in a position to attract too much top end talent, mostly because we have had an excess at talent at the club already. Salary caps and all that prevent you from dong that.

Alright, players leaving. It is no secret that early doors we focussed on picks rather than established players. Has cap has placed pressure on keeping those early picks, we have traded them for more early picks, this has continued, it has enabled us to spread the age demographic of the list, in fact we are a bit young once we have a few out. But if you bring in 8 top 25 draft picks in a 2 year period, not all can play, and you cant pay them all like future stars some will leave. Have you ever heard of players leaving because they dont like the place? Quite the reverse the commentary for years has been about a good quality culture at the Giants keeping the guys together when times were tough.
Look at this year specifically, Corr and Williams both got Godfather offers we couldn't match. Going to happen when you have a lot of good players can't pay them all. Hately cant get a run and is all but guaranteed a spot in his home state. Langdon is falling down our pecking order and could be 2 injuries from getting a run now, if he goes likely, it is for opportunity. Caldwell and Cameron we obviously fighting hard to keep, hopefully we keep them both, but if we lose them, it isnt because they aren't happy. Quite the reverse, that is why we are still in the race.

You comments are clearly that of someone with an axe to grind. You want Cameron, who wouldnt, you dont like that the Giants pulled a lever you dont have, your comments there after a nonsense.

I know Geelong usually get there man, and are a great club, but getting all upset cause someone may not go there reeks of entitlement and is really disrespectful of other clubs.

This is actually a very fair post, and one I can mostly agree with.

I will admit the optics of what took place today, really rubbed me the wrong way as it's just not something I'm ok with (the Selwood incident with Costa in the past pissed me off too, but the rules were at least a bit more vague then)

I have been one of the few that's been pretty sure he'd stay the whole time, so it doesn't surprise me if he does. If we don't get a player, or a player leaves, we're generally very low fuss and easy to deal with either way.

Apologies, but I think we can both agree, if it was us having a lunch with Jeremy, with a Seven Melbourne exec. present and offering deals outside the salary cap in order to sway Cameron, you guys would be pretty annoyed too. It's just not good for anyone to be doing it - given how tenuous the integrity of the comp is already

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
So you think we should of spent even more?

We are in the process of bringing in a ruck so would say that’s a step up.

We already have superstars in Greene, Whitfield, Cogs, Haynes, and possibly still Jezza.

Why bring in more?

Superstars are only the foundation of a competitive side - it's the role players that matter the most

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Apologies, but I think we can both agree, if it was us having a lunch with Jeremy, with a Seven Melbourne exec. present and offering deals outside the salary cap in order to sway Cameron, you guys would be pretty annoyed too. It's just not good for anyone to be doing it - given how tenuous the integrity of the comp is already

Yes we would but we know that’s how it’s played down in Victoria.

All that coin on the side from sponsors etc.

It’s nice that we may, and it is a may, go our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Superstars are only the foundation of a competitive side - it's the role players that matter the most

What is your opinion of the optics of this -https://www.afl.com.au/news/485123/operation-boak-the-day-geelong-went-on-a-brazen-mission-to-poach-trav

or this - https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...e/news-story/21aaaeea828ae7997d7ea3b562e6892d

Are you comfortable about the “optics” of your club sending over a troupe to gang tackle a contracted player mid season to leave his club?

Are you comfortable with your Chief Executive arrogantly declaring they are “...in the market big time” for the still GWS contracted Jeremy Cameron? How are the optics on that one going?

Don’t come here to our board and tell us about “optics”. Our club will do what it believes is the best action, so save the misplaced guidance.

The people charged with making those calls who are actually invested in GWS will make those decisions, not a high and mighty VFL Geelong fan boy.

Don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Well I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the bashing of This shadow w***er

Moving on.... I think perhaps the departure of Williams corr and caldwell opens up list space for a more developed Backman to come in. I know we have mentioned a taller defender, but I would really prefer a damaging half back. I’ve mentioned Witherden as an option but we haven’t been linked to him at all. I really liked Jordan clarke in his draft year who can play there and is starved of opportunity. Other options might include hunt from the dees who is in and out of the team.

I don’t think our issue is stopping forwards monstering us. It’s moving. The ball out of def 50. Some of that is system, some of it is players.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I thought that the chatter had been 2 B Cat rookies plus 2-4 A Cat rookies ... I don't think Mummy can be a B Cat rookie, can he? Callum Brown - if this is true - would be only only B Cat rookie after Buckley was moved to the main list. That would leave us one free spot - we could select Josh Green (auto selection in the rookie draft as I doubt that we'd take him on the main list).

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
I thought that the chatter had been 2 B Cat rookies plus 2-4 A Cat rookies ... I don't think Mummy can be a B Cat rookie, can he? Callum Brown - if this is true - would be only only B Cat rookie after Buckley was moved to the main list. That would leave us one free spot - we could select Josh Green (auto selection in the rookie draft as I doubt that we'd take him on the main list).

Thought I saw it might be going 38-40 primary list and 2 rookies but you're probably right.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Thought I saw it might be going 38-40 primary list and 2 rookies but you're probably right.
All speculative until AFL House get their s**t together, and several options have been mooted, but lately I've seen some chat of 38-40 main list plus 2-4 Cat A rookies for a 42 total (or even just a straight 42 main list) and then 2 Cat B rookies on top. What you said could be a close cousin of that last option, just 2 less in total. I don't know how any club is finalising delistings and contracts while all of this is still unclear!

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I’m less certain Jez will re-sign now. If so that frees up even more salary cap to extend who we want... eg Taranto, Green etc.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I would like the Giants, if they know he is going to just announce it so we can get on with 2021 prep.

It’ll be a gut punch but not the end of the world.
I would opine that Jezza - like Caldwell - has not actually made a final decision (that's just going on general reporting). In Jezza's case, there's seemingly a monetary & lifestyle attraction to Cats but loyalty to us.

However, yes, we just need to know what's happening so we can move on.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Looking at some of the OOC players around the league i think there's some good value. Melbourne in particular have Spargo (ex-academy small forward) and Marty Hore who I think would be best 22 for us if brought in, and would be relatively cheap, think it's a dead horse comment from me now but there's a lot of value in the DFA's and cheap OOC's this season more than ever, I'd hope we're doing our due diligence

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Looking at some of the OOC players around the league i think there's some good value. Melbourne in particular have Spargo (ex-academy small forward) and Marty Hore who I think would be best 22 for us if brought in, and would be relatively cheap, think it's a dead horse comment from me now but there's a lot of value in the DFA's and cheap OOC's this season more than ever, I'd hope we're doing our due diligence
I agree there will be some value to be had. I know the JC contract is drawing things out a bit but I’m a little concerned no players in the league are linked to us at this point apart from BP

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
I agree there will be some value to be had. I know the JC contract is drawing things out a bit but I’m a little concerned no players in the league are linked to us at this point apart from BP
Yeah it's pretty worrying that it looks like we'll get little experience through the door, perhaps we'll pull out some draft night shocks like we seem to do

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I don't mind if we are doing due diligence on some players, but keeping it quiet enough that the media can't broadcast it to everyone. Whether we get anyone in - either via DFA or trade - will come down to list sizes (if the AFL can ever get it together and announce what the facts will be for 2021!), who leaves, and what picks we hold. If things fall our way and we don't lose too many players, if the main list drops to 38, then we might only have 4 spots in which case I wouldn't be too surprised if we took those all to the draft (providing they max out at around 35-40).

Trading looks like it will be a bit of a shitfight this year, with Essendon in the middle of it - they won't lose Saad or Daniher easily. I just hope that they don't end up attracting any of our kids (such as Caldwell or O'Halloran) as it will be painful and probably need to wait on their other trades.

I just hope that we play fairly hard ball in any negotiations and get good value for anyone we lose.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi, so multiple media sources are stating our interest in Cameron. Assuming we do move Treloar and get enough $$ to beat our Geelong's offer, are you likely to match? We had enough $$ to go after Dixon, Gunston, Kennedy before any of this Treloar talk, so if we do trade the latter, we should be able to offer $1 mil pa or even quite a bit more.

That nets you a 1st round compo, which is roughly a top 10 pick.

If not, I can potentially see us trading pick 5 for Cameron to GWS (from GC for Treloar), sure that's an upgrade on a 1st round compo, but that still wouldn't get you any of Mcdonald, Hollands, Phillips, Ugle-Hagan, Thilthorpe, who IMO are the clear 5 standouts in the draft (since Ugle-Hagan is going to WBD via academy).

I think the smartest way to go about it would be quite similar to what Richmond did with Lynch.

1. Cameron to Pies via FA - GWS receives Pick 10 (before dillusion)
2. Fringe player to Pies for Pick 14 or 2021 1st (whichever you like, we need to trade out both anyways)

This way you receive 2x 1st round picks instead of pick 5, which imo is better since the draft is said to be quite even outside of the big 5. This is mutually beneficial to both clubs, as a straight trade means the combined pie is smaller (neither of us gets any value from the compensation pick)

Last edited:
Back