List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I know this wouldn’t be a popular view but I reckon Geelong might go after one of our inside mids next year. With Selwoods end nearing, I could see them going after Hopper/Taranto.
I’m not that against it to be honest. I reckon we need more burst in there. It would allow a XOH to move in there... and he’s quicker than Hopper and has a better tank.
It’s looking likely that Green might be the best of the midfield bulls, so with him and Taranto in there that is more than enough stoppage power.
What do you guys think?

S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Buried in Balquhidder
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He is tiny though... would take at least a couple of years... and whose spot would he take?

He would, however with a few mature bodies around him surely he'd be alright and manage to get a few games.

Ideally he'd replace Langdon initially and eventually work his way into the midfield.

I'd also have him ahead of Hill as well, however if Hill does end up coming along they could cause some serious chaos together 😁

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
He would, however with a few mature bodies around him surely he'd be alright and manage to get a few games.

Ideally he'd replace Langdon initially and eventually work his way into the midfield.

I'd also have him ahead of Hill as well, however if Hill does end up coming along they could cause some serious chaos together 😁
I highly doubt he’d be ahead of Hill.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I know this wouldn’t be a popular view but I reckon Geelong might go after one of our inside mids next year. With Selwoods end nearing, I could see them going after Hopper/Taranto.
I’m not that against it to be honest. I reckon we need more burst in there. It would allow a XOH to move in there... and he’s quicker than Hopper and has a better tank.
It’s looking likely that Green might be the best of the midfield bulls, so with him and Taranto in there that is more than enough stoppage power.
What do you guys think?
But if they want one of those blokes they won’t be coming for cheap like Higgins did. They would have to find 6-700k in cap space again. Tbh I don’t doubt melb clubs will come after those boys but I don’t think it will be geelong

in terms of midfield makeup Yes I agree we are a little slow. And yes X seems to have a skill set we lack. I’m hoping he gets some games this year on a wing

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
What do you guys think?
I can fully imagine Geelong after one of our premier inside mids. Bloody vultures, picking off interstate kids. Maybe that's why we only took this year's first round pick, and left next year's with them! ;)

Look, I agree about wanting to see some more speed on the inside, although I don't really want to lose guys like Taranto or Hopper.

On Gulden, I guess my main reservation is size ... when added to Binga & Bobby forward. The description of his speed/agility is ''more apparent on field than off'', in that his testing is not that great, but appears to have ability to separate on field. As long as he can bring that to AFL first grade. That he's a Sydney local would be of benefit to us of course, unless in the future Swans entice him to cross over.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

I'd also have him ahead of Hill as well, however if Hill does end up coming along they could cause some serious chaos together

Replace Langdon? He would have to get ahead of Greene, Daniels and Hill to get a small fwd spot.

I can’t see that happening.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Weren't all of Daniels, Greene and Langdon playing on the side at the same time?
Athletically, Langdon is good. His game awareness and skills were really poor this year.
Bobby Hill’s skills are already elite, I would argue. So now, with his third preseason coming up, I expect him to have his breakout season next year.

S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Buried in Balquhidder
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Athletically, Langdon is good. His game awareness and skills were really poor this year.
Bobby Hill’s skills are already elite, I would argue. So now, with his third preseason coming up, I expect him to have his breakout season next year.

Completely agree about Langdon however obviously he's no longer there.

Also agree that Hill's skills are elite and it's probably more a combination of injury and form that's held him back so far.

With Greene rotating FWD/MID would a combination of Daniels, Hill and Goulden seem realistic?

Might only get a few games if any but the kid can certainly play.

Obviously I'm not fussed either way but it seemed you were keen and I was just agreeing with the point you were trying to make.

Perhaps I'll just send myself out 😁

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

The Giants are interested in recruiting St Kilda rebounder Shane Savage, ideally as a delisted free agent.
So, this now opens the way for Savage to come to GWS ...

Question is , do we take him in one of the first two DFA periods (which would likely remove one of our picks due to list spaces, unless that one-off rule about extra picks for academy kids keeps it in play), or wait until the pre-season draft in mid-December (which would delay the time he has to train with us etc). I would hazard a guess that we'll do a pick swap before we pick him up (if we do indeed do that) ... which might mean the second DFA window.

So what picks do we think might be realistic?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
So, this now opens the way for Savage to come to GWS ...

Question is , do we take him in one of the first two DFA periods (which would likely remove one of our picks due to list spaces, unless that one-off rule about extra picks for academy kids keeps it in play), or wait until the pre-season draft in mid-December (which would delay the time he has to train with us etc). I would hazard a guess that we'll do a pick swap before we pick him up (if we do indeed do that) ... which might mean the second DFA window.

So what picks do we think might be realistic?
Definitely should take him. Leon needs depth if he wants to see the year out.
2 year contract.

S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Buried in Balquhidder
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Definitely should take him. Leon needs depth if he wants to see the year out.
2 year contract.

Would definitely help offset the loss of Zac Williams and could see him being more than depth.

I'm wrapped that we landed McEvoy back in the day but felt we overpaid (as usual) to get the deal across the line and was sorry to see him leave.

Your club could do a lot worse than giving him a 2-3 year contract 😁

Me too

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
I've heard about Richmond interest in both Green and Taranto. Not sure on how hard we are willing to chase them though (if true) maybe one of you have heard something.

Would the giants look to bring up someone through the ranks to replace a Taranto or would you look to trade?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
I've heard about Richmond interest in both Green and Taranto. Not sure on how hard we are willing to chase them though (if true) maybe one of you have heard something.

Would the giants look to bring up someone through the ranks to replace a Taranto or would you look to trade?
I doubt we'd be able to find anyone willing to come to NSW that'd be as good as Taranto, so moving Green into a more permanent midfield role would be the go, assuming only 1 leaves

Brave New World

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Do we look at taking Harrison Macreadie in the rookie draft as a back-up tall defender. He is a former GWS Academy player; taken by Carlton and played 8 games in his debut year of 2017, but after that injuries cruelled him to only one more game. A one year contract to see if our medicos and he can ‘get himself right’?

Also interesting that Carlton have delisted Matthew Kennedy, although he has been promised a rookie position.

Would definitely help offset the loss of Zac Williams and could see him being more than depth.

I'm wrapped that we landed McEvoy back in the day but felt we overpaid (as usual) to get the deal across the line and was sorry to see him leave.

Your club could do a lot

Both Taranto and Green have recently resigned, so hopefully we dont have to do either!

I know a few Richmond fans assumed the Green family link would see him go straight there after his 2 years, he has already extended.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
I doubt we'd be able to find anyone willing to come to NSW that'd be as good as Taranto, so moving Green into a more permanent midfield role would be the go, assuming only 1 leaves
Seems strange from the outside. If I was looking for success id be looking at the Giants among a few others. Living in NSW would be a slight hurdle admittedly. I did my time up there.

Still, I am surprised that we don't see more people heading to GWS, or signalling an intention at least.

Both Taranto and Green have recently resigned, so hopefully we dont have to do either!

I know a few Richmond fans assumed the Green family link would see him go straight there after his 2 years, he has already extended.
Damn you Giants. With your "logic" and "contracts"

Seems strange from the outside. If I was looking for success id be looking at the Giants among a few others. Living in NSW would be a slight hurdle admittedly. I did my time up there.

Still, I am surprised that we don't see more people heading to GWS, or signalling an intention at least.

Damn you Giants. With your "logic" and "contracts"
When we had cash to spend a few were happy to come here. (Shaw, Mumford, Griffen, Patful etc)

But we haven't had any cap, we have been flat out keeping the players we already had, let alone attract others.

i think we'll bring a couple in moving forward.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
When we had cash to spend a few were happy to come here. (Shaw, Mumford, Griffen, Patful etc)

But we haven't had any cap, we have been flat out keeping the players we already had, let alone attract others.

i think we'll bring a couple in moving forward.
Yeah fair point on the cap. I don't keep up to date on clubs finances and all that. I often leave it out of the equation stupidly.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Club will re-sign Lloyd and Reid but Sproule remains without a contract
Sorry, where in that story did you find the info re Lloyd, Reid & Sproule? I'm not surprised if that's the case - it mostly matches my thinking, although I will admit that I assumed with Jezza leaving and nothing heard about cutting Sproule that he would be safe at this point in time. However, we could cut him to free up a rookie list position, and someone like Shane Savage or even Oscar McDonald/Harrison Macreadie could be picked up in the rookie draft rather than use a main list position.

In relation to that last thought bubble - I'm still very keen on picking up Heath Chapman, although if we traded up to DGB I would not be surprised and obviously he would be in lieu of Chapman; alternatively Nik Cox or Zach Reid could be targets with those md-teens draft picks, and similarly would be in lieu of Chapman. If any of those were selected, I could see a possibility picking up someone experienced like McDonald (probably the best performed albeit marginally of the KPDs delisted) as an interim. And expect Buntine or Keeffe to be moved out next year. I would be surprised if Macreadie was picked up - we didn't rate him that highly in his draft year and notwithstanding injuries that seems to have been borne out. But who knows until 9 December!

Back