List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

The Franklin comparisons are lazy and borderline racist tbh, much better comparison is Josh Kennedy imo, or, and dogs fans wouldn't want to hear it, a little Josh Schache about him
Funny you should say that, I thought to myself, at least part of the comparison is they are both aboriginal, there is physical similarities, but the limited footage did't strike me as overly Buddy like.
Most of it was good leads followed by good hands. Not really what Buddy is about.

I think he'll be a fine player, but he didn't blow my socks off.

Every time I saw footage of Rankine, and even his early games, he got me super excited, still think he is going to be special. JUH, not so much.

There are plenty that know more than me, so I won't be overly strong in my opinion, but I don't seem him as a generational star or anything.

Funny you should say that, I thought to myself, at least part of the comparison is they are both aboriginal, there is physical similarities, but the limited footage did't strike me as overly Buddy like.
Most of it was good leads followed by good hands. Not really what Buddy is about.

I think he'll be a fine player, but he didn't blow my socks off.

Every time I saw footage of Rankine, and even his early games, he got me super excited, still think he is going to be special. JUH, not so much.

There are plenty that know more than me, so I won't be overly strong in my opinion, but I don't seem him as a generational star or anything.
Every top 5 prospect looks like they could be a generational talent in Under 18s, making those calls this early is short sighted considering how many variables there are in footy.
I think he'll be good for them without a doubt, and if he was tied to us I'd be celebrating like anything, but generational, I'm not brave enough to say that

Every top 5 prospect looks like they could be a generational talent in Under 18s, making those calls this early is short sighted considering how many variables there are in footy.
I think he'll be good for them without a doubt, and if he was tied to us I'd be celebrating like anything, but generational, I'm not brave enough to say that
I agree in principal about the generational talent, but every so often you see one who is different, proper ridiculous!
Ive worked in recruitment, in my time I saw 3 that were just better.
George Smith, Greg Inglis and the third one I saw a year 4 kid (so 10? or thereabouts), the very first thing I saw blew my mind. No one around me fully knew how good it was, they could obviously tell he was good, but most people dont really know what kids are supposed to do at a certain age. A parent next to me commented on how excited I was, I told him I watch literally 1500 junior games a year and have done for 10 years, that play is the best I've seen. I still think he thought I was a bit full of it until a first grade coach came up to say hello to me and I couldnt stop talking about this kid. The coach was taken aback, recruiters rarely get over the top with any kid let alone a 10 year old, he hung around and had a look for a bit and was equally impressed. He has basically continue to dominate and what not since.
That kid was Joseph Sualii the kid that is sparking a cross code bidding war, already been poached and compensation paid, a rule expemption so he can play at 17. He has continued to be special. I expect he'll be ridiculous at the next level. In my mind, the most talented kid of seen, including Inglis, Beale, Tedesco and a number of other kids who were freaks above freaks.

To the displeasure of some I assume, in my current phantom I have us taking Reid, Bruhn, Laurie and O'Driscoll in the first round, feel that's a realistic situation given what I'm expecting to happen

To the displeasure of some I assume, in my current phantom I have us taking Reid, Bruhn, Laurie and O'Driscoll in the first round, feel that's a realistic situation given what I'm expecting to happen
It depends on who you passed on! ;)

I don't have too much of a problem with the first 3. O'Driscoll I liked originally for his tackling and competitiveness but was turned off by his poor disposal ... if he's the #20 that's about an OK spot for him. Just think we're missing some run from defence with those selections - which is IMHO our biggest weakness at the moment.

It depends on who you passed on! ;)

I don't have too much of a problem with the first 3. O'Driscoll I liked originally for his tackling and competitiveness but was turned off by his poor disposal ... if he's the #20 that's about an OK spot for him. Just think we're missing some run from defence with those selections - which is IMHO our biggest weakness at the moment.

I reckon if Whitfield goes back, Ash becomes a permanent fixture and Cumming is injury free then we might be ok for run. We 100% need cover for Davis it’s the biggest priority, another small forward and some players with agility. We have too many similar mids.

ROund 1.PNG
Late switch around so we take Cox as opposed to Reid, sorry Giant Strides for giving Chapman away =(

We may take Laurie before Bruhn, but I'm pretty confident we end up with both of them regardless unless there's a surprise pulled by the teams in between our picks, that O'Driscoll pick could realistically end up as Maher/ Berry/ Powell depending on other picks, although if I had it my way it'd be Carroll

Oh, PMBangers !

I don't mind Nik Cox, in fact he might have the highest ceiling of the 3 talls: Cox, Reid & Chapman. (Which is why I think that he'll actually be gone by our first selection.) However, I think that both he & Reid have a potential bust factor, whereas I think Chapman will be at least a solid contributor at the next level. Cox has reach, speed & endurance, so is probably a clearer direct replacement for Corr.

Tanner Bruhn if he slips (and personally, I am skeptical that he will slip beyond Finlay Macrae) I'd be delighted with (although a slight niggling concern with his injury). He's the composed inside/outside player we would gain value from.

While I really like Bailey Laurie as a player, I do think that another small/medium forward is a lesser need than a rebounding back, and especially if we take Cox as a Corr replacement, we've still lost Shaw and Williams. Putting Whitfield back, which I expect we'll do, is robbing Peter to pay Paul, and Shane Savage would be just a short term solution. Hence, Jack Carroll would have been my preference at that third selection. I do think he has great scope to start off HBF and move into an inside/outside midfield role in the future. But Laurie would be a great little player too, who wouldn't be there at the next selection.

Decisions, decisions. We'll see how it all goes on the night - I suspect it will end up unlike either of our thoughts!

Oh, PMBangers !

I don't mind Nik Cox, in fact he might have the highest ceiling of the 3 talls: Cox, Reid & Chapman. (Which is why I think that he'll actually be gone by our first selection.) However, I think that both he & Reid have a potential bust factor, whereas I think Chapman will be at least a solid contributor at the next level. Cox has reach, speed & endurance, so is probably a clearer direct replacement for Corr.

Tanner Bruhn if he slips (and personally, I am skeptical that he will slip beyond Finlay Macrae) I'd be delighted with (although a slight niggling concern with his injury). He's the composed inside/outside player we would gain value from.

While I really like Bailey Laurie as a player, I do think that another small/medium forward is a lesser need that a rebounding back, and especially if we take Cox as a Corr replacement, we've still lost Shaw and Williams. Putting Whitfield back, which I expect we'll do, is robbing Peter to pay Paul, and Shane Savage would be just a short term solution. Hence, Jack Carroll would have been my preference at that third selection. I do think he has great scope to start off HBF and move into an inside/outside midfield role in the future. But Laurie would be a great little player too, who wouldn't be there at the next selection.

Decisions, decisions. We'll see how it all goes on the night - I suspect it will end up unlike either of our thoughts!
I can't wait for us to shock the world and pick Maurice Rioli Jnr with our first pick :tearsofjoy:

Oh, PMBangers !

While I really like Bailey Laurie as a player, I do think that another small/medium forward is a lesser need than a rebounding back, and especially if we take Cox as a Corr replacement, we've still lost Shaw and Williams. Putting Whitfield back, which I expect we'll do, is robbing Peter to pay Paul, and Shane Savage would be just a short term solution. Hence, Jack Carroll would have been my preference at that third selection. I do think he has great scope to start off HBF and move into an inside/outside midfield role in the future. But Laurie would be a great little player too, who wouldn't be there at the next selection.

Cox is the perfect fit for us. With a number of teams having a key forward who is 2m or more (eg King boys, Daniher, Lynch etc) you need someone who is tall and can run. By the end of two years he’ll be fully ready to go and take Davis’ spot.
Paired with Taylor who can play tall or small, and Haynes and Idun, I think it would make for a good mix going forward.

Oh, PMBangers !

Chapman I don’t think is the right fit for us at the moment... too similar to Haynes. He’s not overly quick.
He’s a good prospect but how would he get a game in front of Haynes or Taylor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chapman I don’t think is the right fit for us at the moment... too similar to Haynes. He’s not overly quick.
He’s a good prospect but how would he get a game in front of Haynes or Taylor.
I disagree. And to say he's not quick is wrong. He has a 3.00 second 20m, with 6:20 2km endurance & 21.6 yo-yo times. Yes, not as good as Cox, but still an excellent mix of speed and endurance. And he's arguably a more precise kicker. For mine, Chapman's qualities as a rebounder are perfect for us, slotting into the vacant third tall spot ... while picking up some of the abilities we've lost in Heath Shaw & Zac Williams' departures. IMHO our biggest issues revolve around our lost ability to rebound - and Chapman would help fix that.

Yes we need to look towards replacing Davis in the mid-term, but we have 2-4 years before he will bow out, so this year is not as critical to find cover for him as solving the immediate rebound problem. And I'm not 100% convinced Cox becomes a first rate KPD. Nevertheless, if Cox was available at our first pick, I would not be surprised if we took him (indeed I'd be more surprised if we didn't select him in that case). However, I will be surprised if Cox is still there at our first, as other clubs see his abilities as a KPF rather than KPD. In which case I think Chapman suits our needs extremely well.

In the long run, Chapman has the ability to take over Haynes' mantle as an intercepting genius, but in the meantime as he grows those skills his rebounding capabilities would provide tremendous value to our team's requirements IMHO.

I disagree. And to say he's not quick is wrong. He has a 3.00 second 20m, with 6:20 2km endurance & 21.6 yo-yo times. Yes, not as good as Cox, but still an excellent mix of speed and endurance. And he's arguably a more precise kicker. For mine, Chapman's qualities as a rebounder are perfect for us, slotting into the vacant third tall spot ... while picking up some of the abilities we've lost in Heath Shaw & Zac Williams' departures. IMHO our biggest issues revolve around our lost ability to rebound - and Chapman would help fix that.

Yes we need to look towards replacing Davis in the mid-term, but we have 2-4 years before he will bow out, so this year is not as critical to find cover for him as solving the immediate rebound problem. And I'm not 100% convinced Cox becomes a first rate KPD. Nevertheless, if Cox was available at our first pick, I would not be surprised if we took him (indeed I'd be more surprised if we didn't select him in that case). However, I will be surprised if Cox is still there at our first, as other clubs see his abilities as a KPF rather than KPD. In which case I think Chapman suits our needs extremely well.

In the long run, Chapman has the ability to take over Haynes' mantle as an intercepting genius, but in the meantime as he grows those skills his rebounding capabilities would provide tremendous value to our team's requirements IMHO.
Yeah I just disagree. I said not overly quick.
He won’t be around to take over Haynes. He would be long gone after his second year and realising he’d have to wait for 2 or 3 more.

Also, our inability to rebound was not due to personnel... we had Williams, Whitfield, Shaw and Ash down there. It’s entirely a game plan one.
We have plenty of rebound.

Yeah but with those four we couldn’t move it... what does that tell you?
That’s a good point but tbh you are both right... yes we need to restock the rebounding defenders on the list... a d yes our inability to rebound is significantly linked to poor transition out of D50 and is a game plan issue rather than a personnel one

It’s like the coaches got so caught up in the fact our players were largely one way runners with little defensive accountability they forgot about the importance of transition, creating disruption and fluid movement aka the blueprint of the Richmond Footy club.

They need to adopt the Old El Paso approach of “Why not have both” when it comes to manic offence and defence. Make these lads understand the importance of defensive accountability but let them off the leash as well. Let them uspressure to create chaos ball but also to use their skills to create opportunity.

Trouble is we are unbalanced in the mids, they are just too one paced and slow, it’s been poor list management. I’m really not sure how we undo this quickly unless there are a few guys let go end of next year. You need agile players to really take advantage of the high pressure game. We need more guys that play with the intensity of Brent Daniels.

I see us as a 3-5 year rebuild tbh, and that’s if we make some smart decisive moves and maximise return on collateral.

And if Leon plays that hack Reid once more he should just resign. If I was a kid not getting a game ahead of him I’d leave as well, that’s just an insult.

Last edited:
It’s like the coaches got so caught up in the fact our players were largely one way runners with little defensive accountability they forgot about the importance of transition, creating disruption and fluid movement aka the blueprint of the Richmond Footy club.

They need to adopt the Old El Paso approach of “Why not have both” when it comes to manic offence and defence. Make these lads understand the importance of defensive accountability but let them off the leash as well. Let them uspressure to create chaos ball but also to use their skills to create opportunity.

Trouble is we are unbalanced in the mids, they are just too one paced and slow, it’s been poor list management. I’m really not sure how we undo this quickly unless there are a few guys let go end of next year. You need agile players to really take advantage of the high pressure game. We need more guys that play with the intensity of Brent Daniels.

I see us as a 3-5 year rebuild tbh, and that’s if we make some smart decisive moves and maximise return on collateral.

And if Leon plays that hack Reid once more he should just resign. If I was a kid not getting a game ahead of him I’d leave as well, that’s just an insult.
I reckon Hopper will get traded at the end of the year. Geelong will come for him.

Trading a star mid who is an academy player is stupid.
Haven’t we learned from Steele?
You’re surely being facetious.
Steele left because he wasn’t getting game time in a stacked midfield.
We’ve got a better look at Hoppers ceiling than we ever got for Steele.
We have Taranto, Green, Hopper and Cogs as our inside midfield brigade.
Yes I know Cogs and Taranto spend some time forward, but most of their time is on the ball.
We need more speed.
Green is a better version of Hopper. Hopper has shown no ability to play anywhere but on ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back