List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

I would sign Schulz to a 1 year deal and trade him to North. I'm surprised the 'sign and trade' deals aren't more common in AFL, probably too hard for them to work it out.

any measure Shultz took a big leap forward in his performance in his second year but he has tapped out his potential compared to Hogan in his 7-8th year ?

Tapped out? Ha, way to spin my words.

We can agree Shultz was very good in 2020. If he can give that much effort in '21 and beyond then Freo would be better off keeping him. He would be an asset to any team.

dont think the situation with Hogan is much of a mystery. To me the guy looks like an athletically gifted young man who enjoys playing footy. Which is perfectly cool, but it isn't quite the same thing as wanting to be a professional footballer.

Exactly. That would be having a negative impact on our young squad. They see what their highly-paid team-mate does, and it would be destructive if they followed his example. Jlo has established a new culture at Freo, and it requires everyone to buy in 100%. No exceptions.

I would sign Schulz to a 1 year deal and trade him to North. I'm surprised the 'sign and trade' deals aren't more common in AFL, probably too hard for them to work it out.
Do we need to sign him? I thought he is in our list until we delist (or he refuses to sign an offered contract) and we don't have to delist him until after the trade period.

Do we need to sign him? I thought he is in our list until we delist (or he refuses to sign an offered contract) and we don't have to delist him until after the trade period.
That is the case. We would only delist him if we weren't offering any contract for next season.

But they can secure him through the PSD if he don't agree to terms after the trade period or with another club to trade him.

If the player is willing to sign a token deal like that, they'd also be willing to put it to the club trying to lure them to do the right thing with a trade. Still operating on an honour system, which is no bad thing.

Changing tack back to Jordan Clarke again. I know the West said he won’t move, but there is an unrelated trade that I think will get done that will make Geelong more willing to part with him and him more keen to come home. Nakkai Cockatoo (pick 10, 2014, 24yo) apparently wants to get to Brisbane for more opportunities, while Alex Witherden (pick 23, 2016, 22 yo) who is a Geelong falcons/Geelong College boy has also been rumoured to be leaving Brisbane as he hasn’t been able to lock down a position this year. Witherden is a very good player and very similar to Clarke and like Clarke has 2 years to run on his contract (I would have thought on similar money to what Clarke will get next year). So eventhough Cockatoo was a first round pick, given exposed form in recent years I would have thought Cockatoo and Geelong’s pick 34 would get Witherden to Geelong and make Geelong more likely to let Clarke go to free up salary space. Thoughts...??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changing tack back to Jordan Clarke again. I know the West said he won’t move, but there is an unrelated trade that I think will get done that will make Geelong more willing to part with him and him more keen to come home. Nakkai Cockatoo (pick 10, 2014, 24yo) apparently wants to get to Brisbane for more opportunities, while Alex Witherden (pick 23, 2016, 22 yo) who is a Geelong falcons/Geelong College boy has also been rumoured to be leaving Brisbane as he hasn’t been able to lock down a position this year. Witherden is a very good player and very similar to Clarke and like Clarke has 2 years to run on his contract (I would have thought on similar money to what Clarke will get next year). So eventhough Cockatoo was a first round pick, given exposed form in recent years I would have thought Cockatoo and Geelong’s pick 34 would get Witherden to Geelong and make Geelong more likely to let Clarke go to free up salary space. Thoughts...??

Maybe (hopefully?). I thought I read speculation that Witherden's contract was pretty lumpy, which would be a sticking point in Brisbane shifting him if true.

Even if not, unless Clarke is desperate to leave, or someone is prepared to give up big overs (in terms of draft compensation) to trade for him, I'm not really sure the attraction from Geelong's point of view.

Maybe (hopefully?). I thought I read speculation that Witherden's contract was pretty lumpy, which would be a sticking point in Brisbane shifting him if true.

Even if not, unless Clarke is desperate to leave, or someone is prepared to give up big overs (in terms of draft compensation) to trade for him, I'm not really sure the attraction from Geelong's point of view.
The report is that Clark's 2021 pay is quite a bit, the attraction for Geelong would be if that money can be utilised to bring in players like Cameron and Higgins to take them one win further in 2021.

I know clubs need to keep an eye on the future but they will think they are right at the sweet spot and about to fall off the cliff.

The report is that Clark's 2021 pay is quite a bit, the attraction for Geelong would be if that money can be utilised to bring in players like Cameron and Higgins to take them one win further in 2021.

I know clubs need to keep an eye on the future but they will think they are right at the sweet spot and about to fall off the cliff.

Under the scenario Clark's pay would basically cover Witherden?

Under the scenario Clark's pay would basically cover Witherden?

Another complicated trade suggested by Jay Clark in the HS that enables Geelong to get Cameron on the cheap but keep GWS happy and we get Jordan Clark. Essentially we give our pick 10 to Geelong for Clark and pick 18. We then give Hogan to GWS for pick 46. GWS then don’t match Geelong and they get get compo
pick at 10. Geelong gets Cameron for nothing. So the wash up is GWS lose Cameron and pick 46, but get pick 10 and Hogan. Geelong lose Clark and get pick 18, but get pick 10 (now 11 due to compo pick) and Cameron. We lose pick 10 and Hogan but get Clark and pick 18 and 46. If you look at the difference between sliding from 10 to 18 and pick 46 as Hogans worth, that values him at about Pick 25 which is about right (given pick 10 is Clark’s worth). I hope I haven’t stuffed all that up as pretty complex.

That makes me puke...GWS lose a KPF but get one straight back and a first round, Geelong get the replacement for Hawkins...we get a kid with some potential, a down grade on our first and lose a KPF, our worst area of the ground and now only have pick 18 where we're rally getting nothing of quality

That makes me puke...GWS lose a KPF but get one straight back and a first round, Geelong get the replacement for Hawkins...we get a kid with some potential, a down grade on our first and lose a KPF, our worst area of the ground and now only have pick 18 where we're rally getting nothing of quality

I think GWS will be keen to see Geelong pay for Cameron. I firmly believe in these situations part of the maneuvering is to ensure the opposition team doesn't get a free kick as much as it is ensuring you get value.
They think they're a contender going forward so part of their mission here has to be to inflict damage onto a team they are battling with, i dont see them doing any favours like that.

I think GWS will be keen to see Geelong pay for Cameron. I firmly believe in these situations part of the maneuvering is to ensure the opposition team doesn't get a free kick as much as it is ensuring you get value.
They think they're a contender going forward so part of their mission here has to be to inflict damage onto a team they are battling with, i dont see them doing any favours like that.

Yeah obviously thought up by somebody from Geelong, but if we were to trade Hogan (I don’t want to) it does enable us to get Clarke and stay in the first round (pick 18) and a late pick

Another complicated trade suggested by Jay Clark in the HS that enables Geelong to get Cameron on the cheap but keep GWS happy and we get Jordan Clark. Essentially we give our pick 10 to Geelong for Clark and pick 18. We then give Hogan to GWS for pick 46. GWS then don’t match Geelong and they get get compo
pick at 10. Geelong gets Cameron for nothing. So the wash up is GWS lose Cameron and pick 46, but get pick 10 and Hogan. Geelong lose Clark and get pick 18, but get pick 10 (now 11 due to compo pick) and Cameron. We lose pick 10 and Hogan but get Clark and pick 18 and 46. If you look at the difference between sliding from 10 to 18 and pick 46 as Hogans worth, that values him at about Pick 25 which is about right (given pick 10 is Clark’s worth). I hope I haven’t stuffed all that up as pretty complex.

All makes sense, well explained. Think I get the logic there, because the compo pick doesn't otherwise exist everyone wins (in theory).

Obviously Hogan is incredibly polarizing at present.. If you value Clarke at pick 10 then you can make a case for it from a Freo point of view. You're getting pick 18 and 46 for Hogan. I don't particularly like it, but if Geelong and GWS were giving a bit more / us a bit less I could see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back