List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

That’s 306 points with a pick value of 46/47 so that’s a pretty good deal for a future 4th round

And ironicly this little pick swap is worth more points to us than the Jesse Hogan trade was. (220)

And ironicly this little pick swap is worth more points to us than the Jesse Hogan trade was. (220)

Ergh, when you put it in that context that's just depressing.

Jesse who??

I can’t believe we got a good deal in a pick swap. Wondering is there a catch somewhere?
I suppose Adelaide couldnt very well screw us in a pick swap for 2 years straight.
Nice work by Belly today.

I’m not sure why we’re doing this trade now tbh.

Adelaide by my reckoning had no intention of using those draft selections at all but they’d still be there (unless traded) until Adelaide passed on draft night. Given they have a selection at Pick 40, we could’ve waited until there’s no bid until after Pick 32 and made the trade on draft night. Adelaide wouldn’t be the only club trying to get rid of picks they weren’t going to use. More clubs will pop up after bids too.

The trade becomes quite useless if there is a bid on Walker before Pick 32, as Picks 55, 56 and 66 are equal to a pick around 35. These picks are only going to get higher before a Walker bid too.

Seems like we’ve blinked and ended up once again trading away a future pick for potentially little gain. Of course if it works well done but I do feel we could’ve taken less risk here.

Adelaide had 45 players this season, six rookies - 39 primary list
Minus: Atkins, Crouch, Hartigan, Gallucci, Gibbs, Crocker (r), Knight, Poholke, Taylor (r), Wilson (r)

32 primary list. Adding two players as delisted free agents and PSD picks.

34 primary list. Two to four players in the draft for Adelaide.

They hold picks #1, #9, #22, #23, #40

So #40 is probably on the market too, they do have their own academy players to buy as well if they want but they've already passed on Edwards.

Adelaide by my reckoning had no intention of using those draft selections at all but they’d still be there (unless traded) until Adelaide passed on draft night. Given they have a selection at Pick 40, we could’ve waited until there’s no bid until after Pick 32 and made the trade on draft night. Adelaide wouldn’t be the only club trying to get rid of picks they weren’t going to use. More clubs will pop up after bids too.

The trade becomes quite useless if there is a bid on Walker before Pick 32, as Picks 55, 56 and 66 are equal to a pick around 35. These picks are only going to get higher before a Walker bid too.

Seems like we’ve blinked and ended up once again trading away a future pick for potentially little gain. Of course if it works well done but I do feel we could’ve taken less risk here.
It might give us the capital to be the source of another club's desperate search for points when their own bid comes along in which we really get them over the barrel for a change.

Our picks after #12 amount to 1097 points, that would allow us to match a bid at pick #11 or another club that seeks to not have their first round pick destroyed in 2021.

Adelaide had 45 players this season, six rookies - 39 primary list
Minus: Atkins, Crouch, Hartigan, Gallucci, Gibbs, Crocker (r), Knight, Poholke, Taylor (r), Wilson (r)

32 primary list. Adding two players as delisted free agents and PSD picks.

34 primary list. Two to four players in the draft for Adelaide.

They hold picks #1, #9, #22, #23, #40

So #40 is probably on the market too, they do have their own academy players to buy as well if they want but they've already passed on Edwards.

Adelaide actually had 44 on their list this year. 38 senior list and 6 rookies.

They’ve announced that two players (McKay and Davis) will be demoted to the rookie list. Those two players are effectively replaced by Hinge and Hately.

The seven other delistings takes them to 31 on the senior list for 2021 with five picks taking them to 36. Given their rookie list currently sits at 5 (including McKay and Davis) they can only take 6 selections maximum. Today’s trade basically confirms they’ll take 5 though.

I’m honestly expecting almost every team to go with 36 on their senior list. The only club that doesn’t seem to have themselves in the situation to do so is the mob down the road but I’d expect they’re just working out what to do with Venables.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The West

Fremantle have completed a pick swap with Adelaide in an effort to protect their Next Generation Academy prospects heading into December’s AFL draft.

The Dockers have sent a future fourth round selection to the Crows in exchange for a third and fourth round selection this year.

AFL DRAFT HUB - HIGHLIGHTS & ANALYSIS OF EVERY TOP WA PROSPECT

Prospects Joel Western and Brandon Walker have been part of the club’s development program and while Freo hold priority, additional picks provide flexibility if a rival club attempts to select a youngster in the Dockers’ sights.

Twin brothers Brandon and Chris Walker. Both brothers are big chance of being picked up in next month's AFL Draft. Pictured at East Fremantle Oval (New Choice Homes Park). 12 NOVEMBER 2020
Twin brothers Brandon and Chris Walker. Both brothers are big chance of being picked up in next month's AFL Draft. Pictured at East Fremantle Oval (New Choice Homes Park). 12 NOVEMBER 2020 Credit: Danella Bevis The West Australian
save46.19a5a1e9.png

Don't miss the latest sports news!
Was$13now $7 per week for 12 weeks* (Digital + Print)
Enjoy unlimited access to thewest.com.au and everyday digital editions on any device.
Plus
Thursday - Monday papers home delivered with all of the latest footy news!
SUBSCRIBE NOW
Already a Subscriber? Log in
*T&Cs apply
“Our trade with Adelaide essentially means we have secured a third and a fourth round selection in exchange for a future fourth round selection,” General manager of football Peter Bell said.

Sharks twins Brandon and Chris Walker on their journey from Ghana to AFL hopefuls

“The trade gives us further pick flexibility and point value should we decide to match any bid on our Next Generation Academy players.”

Fremantle forecast their off-season plan prior to this year’s trade period, choosing to continue to build through the draft rather than trading for senior talent.

Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy coach [PLAYERCARD]Tendai Mzungu[/PLAYERCARD] with young recruits, left to right, [PLAYERCARD]Jason Carter[/PLAYERCARD], Liam Henry, Isaiah Butters and Leno Thomas.
Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy coach Tendai Mzungu with young recruits, left to right, Jason Carter, Liam Henry, Isaiah Butters and Leno Thomas. Credit: Nic Ellis/The West Australian
18-year-old Walker is a classy ball user and a switch to half-back in round two by East Fremantle colts coach Adrian Ricciardello was the catalyst for his stunning form spike and grabbed the attention of AFL recruiters.

Walker is expected to draw the highest rival bid out of Fremantle’s NGA talent, but Western shouldn’t be far behind.

The Claremont speedster is one of the most exciting players in the WAFL colts competition when he’s up and running, with pace to burn and a long, penetrating kick.

The Dockers were forced to protect a highly touted NGA prospect at last year’s draft when Carlton bid for Claremont product Liam Henry at pick nine.

The Blues’ move on Henry, who played three games this season, meant the Dockers ended up with three-straight selections in the top 10, including Hayden Young and Caleb Serong.

This year's AFL Draft will be held as a virtual event on Wednesday 9 December.

Now we could swap 32 and 55 for 26 with the Bulldogs as 26 is useless to them and would likely get us in front of bids for our NGA's and gives them a few more Points for matching.

By the time most of the Dog's, Swans and Ports picks get cleaned out matching early bids, our remaining 2 picks come in to about 50 and 55 so still worth reasonable points for our matching.

Well the Louge hype train has left the station early this year if we are at goodsy already

Pace yourself , it’s a long preseason if you want to be hitting that Jono Brown / Kouta / Gary Ayers combo sweet spot a couple of weeks out from round 1

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
We should name a wing after Logue

Now we could swap 32 and 55 for 26 with the Bulldogs as 26 is useless to them and would likely get us in front of bids for our NGA's and gives them a few more Points for matching.

By the time most of the Dog's, Swans and Ports picks get cleaned out matching early bids, our remaining 2 picks come in to about 50 and 55 so still worth reasonable points for our matching.
If young Reef is bid on prior to Collingwood's pick #16 then we could cough up all our picks after #12 for that too, then just wear the deficit next season.

Picks 55,56 and 63 will improve after bids on Ugle-Hagan and co.

All those picks will climb up to 10 spots.

Giving up a future fourth round pick is better than a first or second round pick going backward.

I really stocked at the trade. It protects our first and second picks.

Dont think your getting much better value than a future 4th for a current 3rd and 4th - even if the market favours getting a good return on futures.

Trade gives more flexibility for this year and we saw last year what happens when you trade on draft night - you get bent over.

Worst case scenario before the trade was a deficit next year in the 2nd or third round and no other picks this year

Seems worst case scenario now is our 4th pick is the last in the draft.

Seems a good result for a future 4th

Have I got this right? As it stands we have:
  • 32 on the main list;
  • 5 on the rookie list (Ethan Hughes; Tobe Watson; Banfield; Bewley; Schultz);
  • 1 on the rookie B list (Leno Thomas).
So we will be recruiting:
  • 4 x main list players;
  • 1 x rookie A list player
  • Maybe 1 x rookie B
with the pick upgrades today helping settle our NGA bids, I'm hoping for:
  • 4 x main list players; - #12, BWalker, Western, Neale (pls) (and no I don't know how that would play out on draft night in terms of order, picks, or from pick swaps)
  • 1 x rookie A list player - Dixon
  • 1 x rookie B - CWalker

Dont think your getting much better value than a future 4th for a current 3rd and 4th - even if the market favours getting a good return on futures.

Trade gives more flexibility for this year and we saw last year what happens when you trade on draft night - you get bent over.

Worst case scenario before the trade was a deficit next year in the 2nd or third round and no other picks this year

Seems worst case scenario now is our 4th pick is the last in the draft.

Seems a good result for a future 4th
Yes I’m a big fan of this trade. Improves our position significantly. Also each of 55,56,63 are highly likely to move forward. All at the cost of a future 4th, which in reality will be around mid-60’s after compo picks. We keep our first three picks for 2021.

I think Adelaide recognised the good trade value they got from us when we did a pick swap last year prior to targeting pick 8 from Melbourne.

I’d suggest we hold till draft night and see where a bid falls for Walker. If he ends up being bid in the top 30 we could make a quick trade of 36/37 (likely position of that pick) to get more points.

I care very little what Carlton do. There first pick is 31 (which will likely be 35/36) and I’d be extremely surprised if Walker is still around at pick 37. If they bid on Western well they can run the gauntlet of having to pick him (even though we will have sufficient points now) as I see Shifter Sheehan and Cal Twomey don’t have Western in their top 40 players.

Identical twins on our list might represent an issue... who is to say that the same person comes out after half time?
think of it as having a spare. Like when I find a pair of jeans I really like that also fit well, I go back and buy a second pair for when they get worn out/damaged.

could have done with having a second Morabito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back