Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

"With due respect to the coaches, they are the wrong people to be making these decisions".

I finally agree with V'landys about something. Coaches are precisely the wrong people to talk to if you want to change the way a game is played.

I finally agree with V'landys about something. Coaches are precisely the wrong people to talk to if you want to change the way a game is played.
Though it can be handy sometimes in that
they can tell them how they would counter those changes which could possibly create more problems though maybe ex coaches are the ones who should have the input.

I really don't buy this whole: "V'Landys is a genius for getting the NRL going by May 28 & the AFL are hopeless for restarting on June 11" thing.

The AFL as an actual national competition have had way more to deal with than the NRL. I am not in the least bit fussed that it's taken them a massive {checks notes} 2 weeks longer to restart. The way the media is carrying on you'd swear that the AFL weren't going to play at all this year.
They do have an international side though. As it’s turned out there is not really any reason the AFL couldn’t have started at the same time hence NRL good AFL bad.
In saying that we are only having a 17 round season regardless so it won’t get us anymore games so not a massive issue imo.

"As it’s turned out there is not really any reason the AFL couldn’t have started at the same time hence NRL good AFL bad".

Except Borders are still closed and other restrictions in some states that have forced the AFL to start a little bit later.!

1. It is a coup for the NRL to be the first contact sport in the world to recommence playing.
It will reap a ratings bonanza in Aust. (including Vic., WA, SA, Tas. & NT, without AFL)

I can only admire the NRL for getting back as early as they did -full credit to them. But every year they start a couple of weeks before the AFL and it does not result in a ratings bonanza outside NSW and Queensland. Consequently I doubt there will be any more than a marginal increase in ratings.

Hell, I might be wrong, but I doubt it. Sometimes people in Sydney overstate just how popular the NRL is in other states, assuming it's like the AFL where they're from. When in reality it really is a blip.

Seems Roy the boy'' Masters is suggesting the AFL have a better TV deal than the NRL for what is left of 2020 & how is Mr V' going to explain it away.

Behind the paywall at this point, but May 28 is the day we were to know the NRL details:
'Peter V'landys has primed rugby league for the announcement of a reduced pay TV deal. But how will the clubs react if, as seems probable, the AFL is able to secure a superior result?'

IMHO the NRL should have gone with Origin first up.

How long have you been reading this thread? BBT is typically very pro-AFL and anti-NRL. He's not really off the mark with that comment, either.

I think the relevant point is that though he may be very pro "AFL" (the game) he is very anti-AFL (the executive / commission....but particularly the executive)

There is no way the AFL would have profited from the same belligerent approach of V'Landys...not to mention the much harder struggle with the AFL being a national competition (unlike the NRL)

Seems Roy the boy'' Masters is suggesting the AFL have a better TV deal than the NRL for what is left of 2020 & how is Mr V' going to explain it away.

Behind the paywall at this point, but May 28 is the day we were to know the NRL details:
'Peter V'landys has primed rugby league for the announcement of a reduced pay TV deal. But how will the clubs react if, as seems probable, the AFL is able to secure a superior result?'

IMHO the NRL should have gone with Origin first up.

It's almost like when I said the NRL had found themselves in a much weaker bargaining position earlier in this thread.......I was right ;-)

It's almost like when I said the NRL had found themselves in a much weaker bargaining position earlier in this thread.......I was right ;-)

& the NRL were behind to start with .... well done you ..... the detail FTA/Fox will be interesting IF it is a done deal :) ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I note the NRL who have never had an original idea of their own are going to copy the German Soccer by selling cardboard cuts outs of fans for $24 each to make up fake crowds!
They could actually leave them in place at stadiums like ANZ and the SCG permanently to cover the small crowds the get!

NEWSFLASH
Roy Master predicts the AFL's TV deal will be bigger than the NRL's.
STOP THE PRESS

(where has he been the last 30 years)

To be fair, he's spent the last 30 years doing the same thing....insisting that the nrl is more valuable in between rights deals and then wringing his hands when they end up with less money

To be fair, he's spent the last 30 years doing the same thing....insisting that the nrl is more valuable in between rights deals and then wringing his hands when they end up with less money

True, and then express surprise....
A key point of difference in this latest round is that all of the Sydney media is falling over themselves to hail V'landys as the one who has brought the bacon home.

1. The Australian J. Stensholt 28.5

News Corp. Australia will be cutting "hundreds of jobs" from 29.6. Other reports state "...about 1/3 of its Australian workforce may be cut".

I'm unclear if these cuts are only from its newspaper/publishing Division- or across the whole of its Australian operations, including Foxtel etc.

This dos not bode well for the Fox Sports NRL new Rights' deal- & for the AFL.

2. SEN Melb. Radio Lyon & Watson program 28.5

G. Lyon described P. V'landys as "...one of Australia's best sport administrators".

(To appreciate the cataclysmic financial etc. position of the covid-19 hit NRL, I suggest you read P. Rothfield's description of the DISASTROUS state of the NRL in my above post#975. Rothfield said up to 6 NRL clubs could have folded etc.
Or is Rothfield, employed by News Corp, "softening-up" NRL fans for a big cut in Foxtel etc. new Rights' $, which will "save" a 16 team comp.?).

3. SEN Melb. Radio S. Edmond program 28.5

Former Socceroo, & current media soccer commentator, C. Bolton says that Fox Sports is playing hardball over a new Rights' deal (The old deal- which had 3 more years left-was $45m pa cash, + advertising contra, + c. $5m extra pa when the A League creates 2 new Melb./Syd. teams has been voided by Fox Sports- claiming Force Majeure).

Bolton disputes MSM reports that Fox Sports might offer $25m pa for a new Rights' deal. He said that he has been told that Fox Sports "...is only offering $19m pa". (I'm not sure if this figure only includes cash, not advertising "free' contra).

Bolton also said, the A League, due to its dire financial situation, "might return as a semi-professional state only...The A League could fold, but I don't think that will happen".

4. The Australian B. Read 22.5

The NRL HQ & administration/NRL programs will be cut by $50m. NRL clubs will have more direct involvement in running the NRL- & will also be involved in deciding where the NRL HQ $50m cuts will be made.
(Will the HQ cuts be a massive $50m pa- or over several years? Will NRL H/Q cut its GR spending?).

5. The Western Force, bankrolled by billionaire A. Forrest, will be part of the new, domestic-only pro RU comp. in Australia, with the Aust. ex Super Rugby etc. RU clubs.

EDIT:

6. SMH A Webster 23.5

V'landys said, re the NRL's pre March 2020 finances

"And the cash that was there was bullshit because we owed $80m (my emphasis) to the broadcasters. Of the $104m we had, we only had $30 m or so. To the broadcasters' credit, they haven't called on that money. If they did, we were stuffed".

What is this $80m that the NRL owed? Has this been detailed before in the MSM?

V'landys also said, re the new, impending Rights' deal

" I'm getting no less than what I was prepared to take before the coronavirus came in. It's a good deal for us". Really?

He again suggests the NRL interchange needs to be reduced, to bring back more light weight skillful players- & make the NRL more free flowing & exciting.

Later on 24.5, V'landys also said the NRL salary cap would remain at $9.9m from 2021 pa ie no cuts. A coup for the players, if this eventuates.

Last edited:
4. The Australian B.Read 22.5

The NRL HQ & administration/NRL programs will be cut by $50m. NRL clubs will have more direct involvement in running the NRL- & will also be involved in deciding where the NRL cuts will be made.
(Will the HQ cuts be a massive $50m pa- or over several years? Will NRL H/Q cut its GR spending?).

Wowee, so the NRL is moving further still away from an independent commission!

How much do you think the bullying of the ARL into the 130% funding of the salary cap to clubs (that saw to commissioners resign) come under review?

True, and then express surprise....
A key point of difference in this latest round is that all of the Sydney media is falling over themselves to hail V'landys as the one who has brought the bacon home.

I think Masters genuinely believes rugby league is getting gypped each time though.

Here are some quick google finds...

This is my favourite from as recently as december last year!

Overall, AFL consumes more hours (277.9m), compared to the NRL (190m), but rugby league is the most valuable sport in Australia....by half and not quarters.

WE shouldn't forget that the slowing dying News Corp and to a lesser extent CH 9 control a big % of the Media in both Melbourne and Sydney so you can take with a grain of salt a lot of their puff piece so called reporting!
Of course they are both stroking V'Landys giant ego to get what they want!

Wowee, so the NRL is moving further still away from an independent commission!

How much do you think the bullying of the ARL into the 130% funding of the salary cap to clubs (that saw to commissioners resign) come under review?

Mr V' sees himself as a benevolent dictator, thats his role at Racing NSW (i.e his day job is CEO is that body) & its been successful there.
He's a bit like Eddie at Collingwood (whats the name of their CEO?).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back