Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy not having to pick team early rounds providing Ratts / Rath are consistent with form & fitness
Selection with Integrity in early rounds ....should be very interesting.
Personally would add Langlands , Marsh , Bytel to above group all very very hungry to play senior football
can say even Phillips is being encouraged to believe ( I don’t believe he is good enough ) but the Coach
does ...which is important as every player now feels they are a chance to be selected.

As for Coffield think he is like Docherty type myself .
Real talk out of the draft that likened him to Hodge. Match winner. Half back general.
Club see him going through the midfield in time

Sincs is a bit of a heat breaker, so much skill and good qualities but just can't get enough of it. His best year was as a small forward but can't see him making it past others. A cross road this year.
I think they are going to try get the ball into Sinclair’s hands rather then letting him find the ball.
Club rates him as one of our better users. It’s different and I like it.

Real talk out of the draft that likened him to Hodge. Match winner. Half back general.
Club see him going through the midfield in time

Just me.

Bytel ...........is a midfielder

Byrnes ........is a midfielder

Coffield .......a very nice Half Back .

Clark ..... both

Hodge once in generation player ....

If I recall, the Coff in his draft year was trialled to be a mid ,but just wasn’t up to it ,so they put him back at half back and he found form again .
No doubt someone will dig up some stats on this
I really think it is wishful thinking that he will play as a mid in his career .Having said that ,i think he will be a very very good rebounding defender .

Well I’d say that yes he wasn’t as great as a mid as he was as a half back but that’s because he was legitimately the best Half back in the draft. I will say that he definitely did show scope as a mid. I also don’t think we should pigeon hole him as a dominant half back for now yes let him dominate there but I feel a 5 - 10 year plan should be as a mid who rests at Half Back ala Yeo who IIRC also didn’t dominate As a mid.

Well I’d say that yes he wasn’t as great as a mid as he was as a half back but that’s because he was legitimately the best Half back in the draft. I will say that he definitely did show scope as a mid. I also don’t think we should pigeon hole him as a dominant half back for now yes let him dominate there but I feel a 5 - 10 year plan should be as a mid who rests at Half Back ala Yeo who IIRC also didn’t dominate As a mid.
Edit after doing some research in looking at his last 4 games for Northern Knights

Include a 20 disposal 5 clearance game 9 CP

26 Disposal , 12 CP 6 clearances

25 touches 12 CP and 6 clearances.

Against Oakleigh
So he has the scope but needs some patience

I think they are going to try get the ball into Sinclair’s hands rather then letting him find the ball.
Club rates him as one of our better users. It’s different and I like it.
That's a great approach. Utilising a players strength instead of shaming their weakness. He's a good decision maker usually.

This stuff reminds me of when SW took over and tried to make Goddard a contested player. Who cares if most of his possessions were uncontested, it's a team game and he tore through the opposition with his kicking. Or even Milne not getting a chance at Essendon because of the weaknesses in his game. Surely AFL is a game where making use of the best talents of certain players helps your side more than trying to force them to be different players?

He's quite clearly not a poor player. In my book, he's better than average. He is a good lock down and a good rebounder. Not an easy thing to do. There's plenty of small backs in the comp who can run around and rack it up whilst letting their opponent do the same. Conversely, there are several who can lock down but offer minimal offensive output. He does both. What do you expect from someone playing his role to be considered 'good'? All Australian selection? That's the standard for better than good. He's not All Australian level. He's better than average.
A whole lot of this.

Unfortunately, he is a walking injury, which is probably a big part of the reason why someone like Sincs has been pushed back there (like Battle was last preseason, when, like Jimmy this summer, Carlisle was struggling to get on the track, along with Austin).

Like who.
I was being sarcastic mate. Generally when one of our average players go out another average player replaces them. That’s why I can never buy injuries as an excuse for us for anything.

A whole lot of this.

Unfortunately, he is a walking injury, which is probably a big part of the reason why someone like Sincs has been pushed back there (like Battle was last preseason, when, like Jimmy this summer, Carlisle was struggling to get on the track, along with Austin).

I'd say he's good and maybe just above average. I'm just not convinced he's a walk up start any more. We have so many option for small to medium backs. Several have shown much more or are young with potential and that's going to make an injured Jimmy start a fair way down the list and have to earn a spot. Hunter Clark might turning a mid but you'd be giving him one spot, Geary would have to get a first crack being captain, Savage played his best footy for us last season and that has to count for something, Jones might not make a mid rotation and most likely plays some back flank for some of the time, Paton was solid, Wilkie great, DMac is young and if he's on the list they might be tempted to give him games, Long is tearing it up and Sincs is being trialled there. Austin plays smaller, Marsh is a mid sized utility/defender etc.

If we play Carlisle and Howard as the key pillars, Roberton the middle sized option along side Wilkie who should get a spot off the back of his 2019, that really leaves all the rest to fight over 2 spots. I haven't even put Coffield on that list yet. All I'm saying is he's not guaranteed anything. He'll want to be plying some good footy to even get a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a great approach. Utilising a players strength instead of shaming their weakness. He's a good decision maker usually.

This stuff reminds me of when SW took over and tried to make Goddard a contested player. Who cares if most of his possessions were uncontested, it's a team game and he tore through the opposition with his kicking. Or even Milne not getting a chance at Essendon because of the weaknesses in his game. Surely AFL is a game where making use of the best talents of certain players helps your side more than trying to force them to be different players?

I think that speaks of the Richo footy philosophy. He seemed to have a team over individual type of approach, every player was expected to put in hard toil. The things he valued were sacrifice and effort over skill or flair. Players who were too individual were less valued it seemed. I'm hoping the ideas of Ratts really do work to bring out the best in all the players we already have. Having each line stand up in their own area means we can have players play an individual game in their own zone.

I'd say he's good and maybe just above average. I'm just not convinced he's a walk up start any more. We have so many option for small to medium backs. Several have shown much more or are young with potential and that's going to make an injured Jimmy start a fair way down the list and have to earn a spot. Hunter Clark might turning a mid but you'd be giving him one spot, Geary would have to get a first crack being captain, Savage played his best footy for us last season and that has to count for something, Jones might not make a mid rotation and most likely plays some back flank for some of the time, Paton was solid, Wilkie great, DMac is young and if he's on the list they might be tempted to give him games, Long is tearing it up and Sincs is being trialled there. Austin plays smaller, Marsh is a mid sized utility/defender etc.

If we play Carlisle and Howard as the key pillars, Roberton the middle sized option along side Wilkie who should get a spot off the back of his 2019, that really leaves all the rest to fight over 2 spots. I haven't even put Coffield on that list yet. All I'm saying is he's not guaranteed anything. He'll want to be plying some good footy to even get a chance.

New beginning would be extremely disappointed if Geary is Captain and guaranteed spot as a result.

Moving the ball from defensive areas is the most important ingredient to success...turnover is leading
form of scoring

Jones changes the dynamic of midfield , clear indicator was last Inter Club.

New beginning would be extremely disappointed if Geary is Captain and guaranteed spot as a result.

Moving the ball from defensive areas is the most important ingredient to success...turnover is leading
form of scoring

Jones changes the dynamic of midfield , clear indicator was last Inter Club.
Tend to agree. I don’t want Seb as Captain, but I can’t see the club taking a risk, I.e Billing’s or Steele ect.. think it’s Seb’s too lose personally.

Why do you think they would be tempted ? Unless half the team is injured i cant see how he will ever play another game for us

We lack obvious replacements for Geary as Captain, which is a concern. He is obviously highly rated within the club, but does absolutely zero as a match day leader or a marketable figure for the club.

To me he is the exact clone of Richardson, a likeable battler nothing more.
I really don’t think we do.
We have a stronger leader in Ratten. Makes it easier for a player leader and a council of players now to step up.
Go with the beer of the new generation. Ross as captain Steele Robbo Billings Membrey Howard etc. plenty to form a leadership group.

I think that speaks of the Richo footy philosophy. He seemed to have a team over individual type of approach, every player was expected to put in hard toil. The things he valued were sacrifice and effort over skill or flair. Players who were too individual were less valued it seemed. I'm hoping the ideas of Ratts really do work to bring out the best in all the players we already have. Having each line stand up in their own area means we can have players play an individual game in their own zone.
I reckon Richo is a process man- the process is what wins, more than any individual efforts, but if the process doesn't work, there's no other option. That's why Richo was always reluctant to shift players around the ground..or take risks and try a radical move to try and save a game, as it just wasn't an option in his coaching book. I hope Ratts has a bit more left-field about his approach, and will be prepared to take risks.

I really don’t think we do.
We have a stronger leader in Ratten. Makes it easier for a player leader and a council of players now to step up.
Go with the beer of the new generation. Ross as captain Steele Robbo Billings Membrey Howard etc. plenty to form a leadership group.

I‘m led to believe up until Hanners arrived we fielded (no disrespect) a team full of introverts, which now is just beginning to turn around with encouragement from new coach & recruits. So if this is correct, without elevating one of the recruits IMO there is really only Geary or Ross in the picture.

Why do you think they would be tempted ? Unless half the team is injured i cant see how he will ever play another game for us
I will preface my post by saying that I believe we will play a much more attacking brand under Ratten, but if we do require a lock down defender and Webster & Geary are unavailable, who can fill that role. Paton maybe. But I feel he is of more value to the team when he is taking the game on rather than just nullifying an opponent.
If Dmac is showing very good form at Sandy, and we need a lock down defender, IMO he is only a couple of injuries away from playing a game with Saints

So nice to see someone say this out loud. It has been a taboo subject on here for years. Every year this myth runs around that we have great depth, our depth is the best we have ever had etc etc. IMO we absolutely don't actually have much quality depth!

When it comes to judging players (particularly depth players) it is always hard because it is such a subjective exercise. People always have different opinions of what player x is / can be. Ie it doesn't matter that 19yo player x cant get a kick because he is a long term project. Or player x is amazing at this thing and I will focus on that one part of his game exclusively.

However if we take the subjectivity out of it, our reserves results over the last 3-4 years are atrocious. Someone would have to look up the exact number, but we are something like 4 wins 20 losses against AFL aligned opposition across the last 2 years (give or take a game or 2). Sure we beat up on the non aligned sides to make our ladder result look passible each year, but the important point is that we average about 2 wins against AFL aligned sides across the last 4 or so years. Take out the standalones, and we are the bottom team almost every year.

Yes we have had a few injuries to key players. That might explain a down year. But the idea of having depth is that these injuries shouldn't dramatically impact results. But they clearly do with us. Both at senior and reserves level. Our Sandy results (combined with our senior results) across a number of years would say we have the worst depth in Victoria.

Honestly, I would consider it a big improvement to our depth if Sandy are winning 25-40% of our games against AFL aligned opposition. Would be a significant improvement to just win 1 in every 3 games against other AFL teams.

It would also be nice to see some Saints players dominate in their games with Sandy and absolutely demand selection. The way Lonie or Hunter have done when they are down there (by memory Lonie nearly won a B+F from about 10 games). Not many of the other 8-15 playing down there each week ever do. So bonus points if more than 2 of the players in the top 10 of Sandy B+F are Saints players AND they are actually on the list the following year.

Last season we USED our depth.
No one was claiming our depth was as good as our first choice, but when we found ourselves looking they held up pretty well.
Armitage : Supposedly feeling great in the pre-season , was next to useless.
Hannebery : recruited , and injured all season.
Steven : We were not expecting what we got.
Midfield was our biggest issue for depth, we struggled by with Gresham, Sinclair, Phillips, a bit from Clark and Acres all trying damn hard to fill the holes.

Roberton : Had seemed to recover from his heart issue... Nope. Wilkie , Paton, Langlands, McKenzie, Coffield ,Clark.
Longer : Yes Marshall was depth.
Carlisle : Battle came in and did an amazing job.
Brown : Joyce struggled , but did ok at times.
Lonie/Kent/Long all injured at times. We scraped the barrel here , Hind was good, Young not so good.

If we end up with any of the likes of Savage, Webster, Sinclair, Kent ,Long playing for Sandringham this season, then our depth has improved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back