2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he would net us a quality deal, they've seen how good he is in a quality setup
Yeah - clubs know that he is a B&F winner and All Australian. He is now in a s**t program, but any club on the brink of success would back themselves in.

Of course Laird would net us a good pick. Was an all Australian only a couple of years ago. He’s in bad form...like the rest of the entire team. In fact, I’m surprised he’s been written off so easily.
I think he's a quality player in a lose lose situation. He will be a quality player once again (he's only 26), but needs to operate in a system that has a use for a QB style defender that is more a 'midfielder in the D50' then a defender. I still think GWS would be a perfect fit, but if the rumour of him wanting to go to a VIC club due to his GF is true, then maybe a team like Essendon might work to compliment Saad and McKenna. Or maybe Collingwood with their high possession style gameplan.

He has value, no way he gets traded for less then a 1st. 2 years ago it would be a high first, now its probably a pick in the teens.

I think he's a quality player in a lose lose situation. He will be a quality player once again (he's only 26), but needs to operate in a system that has a use for a QB style defender that is more a 'midfielder in the D50' then a defender. I still think GWS would be a perfect fit, but if the rumour of him wanting to go to a VIC club due to his GF is true, then maybe a team like Essendon might work to compliment Saad and McKenna. Or maybe Collingwood with their high possession style gameplan.

He has value, no way he gets traded for less then a 1st. 2 years ago it would be a high first, now its probably a pick in the teens.

Yeah, I'd have Laird at a first-round pick at the moment. Best is AA quality, but needs a system which will counter-act his flaws.

I imagine it’d be a double digit 1st plus a later pick swap in our favour later in the draft.

Laird for Hawks first (pick 12 to 14) would be about right.
Could then trade that with GWS first to get up high enough to grab Hollands.

Then trade up our second with Dogs second to a pick above Luke Edwards bid.

Pick 1 Phillips
Pick 2 Thilthorpe
Pick 6 Hollands
Pick 11 ??
Pick 18 Edwards
Pick 35 Newchurch

I think the following could be delisted and have zero trade value.
Hartigan,
Tex (have to pay him out for the good of the club)
Wilson,
McKay
Gibbs

I would explore trades / free agency for:
B Crouch
Laird - Has some value potentially
Lynch - Like Tex he has too much baggage and I feel the playing group can't move forward with him in it.

That is eight players plus I expect at least couple of others might explore opportunities elsewhere. The pressure is on Nick's to keep the good ones by showing he has a vision.

Guys like Knight, Atkins, Seedsman, Murphy, Paholke, Gallucci and probably a couple of younger players could really be moved on without losing any sleep over but there are only so many changes you can have in one year so it just comes down to numbers. At least a few from that group will go.

At the risk of just being another "jobs for the boys", I would take a look at what James Gallacher is doing as list manager at St Kilda and see if he can come home to Adelaide for a similar role.

I personally wouldn't go for anyone from the Saints at the moment.

Sure they're looking good, but this is the first sign of life they've had for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think Hawks will err on side of pace at the moment. They are well equipped with ball magnets already.
Hawks need to focus on draft picks IMO. Their age/games experience bracket would suggest they are in their window right now, but really all their hyper aggressive trading in the recent past has left them as a middle of the pack team IMO.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see that team go down before it makes it back to the big dance.

Now that I’ve said that they’ll probably win the flag this year.

Hawks need to focus on draft picks IMO. Their age/games experience bracket would suggest they are in their window right now, but really all their hyper aggressive trading in the recent past has left them as a middle of the pack team IMO.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see that team go down before it makes it back to the big dance.

I tend to agree, but I think it will only happen when Clarko hangs up the whiteboard.

Until then I think Clarko will be looking for more value trades to see if he can sneak another flag sooner rather than later.

I tend to agree, but I think it will only happen when Clarko hangs up the whiteboard.

Until then I think Clarko will be looking for more value trades to see if he can sneak another flag sooner rather than later.
It would be an interesting diagnosis of the ‘Destination clubs’, and how often being a destination club has been instrumental in a teams success.

I’ve always thought one day we will see the Hawthorns and Geelongs come crashing down due to an over reliance on that strategy. Is there a big cliff coming for them, or will they just always be in that ‘pretty good’ category because of it?

eDPS who are the Hawks nga and father son kids this year and next?

eDPS who are the Hawks nga and father son kids this year and next?
If only they had a full list like viewable Essendon do 😂

Connor Downie is the main one of note for this year, their might be some names out of Eastern or Gippsland for next year but it’s hard to tell sometimes. They might have access to two talented Eastern kids Tyreece Leiu and Elliot Triegaardt but I can’t confirm that as of yet.

Laird for Hawks first (pick 12 to 14) would be about right.
Could then trade that with GWS first to get up high enough to grab Hollands.

Then trade up our second with Dogs second to a pick above Luke Edwards bid.

Pick 1 Phillips
Pick 2 Thilthorpe
Pick 6 Hollands
Pick 11 ??
Pick 18 Edwards
Pick 35 Newchurch
We need to put a bid on the Bulldog NGA player if he is the best in the draft.

Would be ideal, but they don't normally pay market value.
Yes they do. They paid up for Wingard, Burgoyne, McEvoy, O'Meara - they occasionally get deals but only for players who have serious injury problems.

You are all well aware of the issues that you have with your playing list but unfortunately, there aren't any quick fixes these days. I don't think you need to go down the full 'Ground Zero' route like my mob did as you have a better nucleus of young players already at the club but it may take 2-3 off-seasons for all the panel-beating to be done.

The other thing to factor in is how hard you cut initially and who are the ones you do give the chop too. Everyone will have their theories on who & why but the best way is to set out some sort of plan to work from by looking at the existing list and deciding who should still be at the club going in to season 2022. By then, three trade & draft periods will have taken place which should see at least 18-20 players turned over in that time.

Based on the age spread of the players currently at the club, here is how it may look going into season 2022 before the new additions are added over the trade/drafts (admittedly, you know your players better than I ever will) :

B : Tom Doedee, Jake Kelly, TBA
HB : Wayne Milera, Fisher McAsey, Will Hamill
C : Ben Keays, TBA, Ben Crocker
HF : Lachlan Murphy, Elliot Himmelberg, Myles Poholke
F : Chayce Jones, Billy Frampton, Darcy Fogarty
R : Riley O'Brien, TBA, TBA
I/C : Jordan Galluci, TBA, Ned McHenry, TBA

This does not factor in how quickly or well some of the young guys develop plus there are others on the list that are yet to play senior footy. But what it does do is provide some hope for the future and a guide to what you need to chase.

There are at least 6 quality players needed to fill out that team but there are no guarantees that they will all make the grade, no club ever has that luxury. Having said that, it's not a bad skeleton-frame to start working from.

Pick up 3-4 quality 'grunt' mids and another couple of key position players and you could be in quite a strong position, it would just be a waiting game from there. If Strachan comes on, you could have a very handy tag-team ruck combo with O'Brien too.

Yes they do. They paid up for Wingard, Burgoyne, McEvoy, O'Meara - they occasionally get deals but only for players who have serious injury problems.
And Tom Mitchell cost them a 1st rounder

As a footnote, it's worth noting Sydney received pick No.14 in the Mitchell trade, a selection they used as part of a subsequent trade that helped them secure Oliver Florent (No.11 overall) and Will Hayward (No.21) in that year's draft.

Anyone sense a win-win trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back