List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Yep reading into Noble's comments about Daniher and Cockatoo being our likely two trade ins and only using 2 picks in the draft which we expect one will be B.Coleman, I think it is safe to assume we will try and trade up. I wonder if Adelaide or North who currently hold picks 8 and 9 would be interested in our picks 16 and 17. An additional two first rounders could appeal to try and add as much young talent in as they can particularly for North I'd have thought. And we get a top 10 pick to land one of our favourite prospects.

Am I right in saying our two first rounds would have more value (points wise) for the dogs than any other team? That is when they have to match picks 1 or 2, our picks would have only slipped by free agent compos. Otherwise by the time the draft gets to them they would have slipped down much further and be worth less points.
Not sure what they could offer, but we might get best value trading with them.

We'd need something else back - their pick is only (currently) 5 spots higher than ours.

Am I right in saying our two first rounds would have more value (points wise) for the dogs than any other team? That is when they have to match picks 1 or 2, our picks would have only slipped by free agent compos. Otherwise by the time the draft gets to them they would have slipped down much further and be worth less points.
Not sure what they could offer, but we might get best value trading with them.
That’s a hefty price to pay to move up 4 spots in the draft.

Trading 16 and 17 to move up to 12 and say, get a future second round pick back as well.

Any potential first round compensation picks will push back both the Bulldogs pick 12 and our two first round picks.

JUH will be the first kid bid on. Potentially in the top 3 picks. So if the Bulldogs had our first two picks, in terms of maximum points value, that’s when they’re at the highest value.

I’d prefer to trade one of our picks for a future first round pick.

I’d actually probably prefer to trade both for future first round picks.

Tahj Abberley was our most consistent academy player this year, both at QAFL level with Grange, and the two games against the Suns academy. Played predominantly on the wing.

Blake Coleman probably our best prospect from a talent point of view. Would compliment his brother very well, as he has different weapons.

Crozier and Carter Michael are aways back compared to Abberley and Coleman.

I would be genuinely surprised if any opposition team went for any of our kids, apart from Coleman.

I reckon we should be able to bring most back as 19 year old academy kids, and covid protocols permitting, they get to play for our reserves next year.
Thanks Briztoon ...I wasn't aware of Abberley.

By the end of this trade period, all four players taken in the two mini-drafts when GWS entered the competition will no longer be at the club that drafted them. All three that have moved so far have gone for far less than they initially cost.

O'Meara
- Traded for pick 4 + middle 1st round compensation (pick 31 going the other way)
- Subsequently traded for pick 10 + future second
Crouch
- Traded for pick 10 + 1st round compensation (Luke Brown also going to Adelaide)
- Subsequently ??

Martin
- Traded for pick 2 (and swap of compensation picks)
- Acquired by Carlton via the PSD
Hogan
- Traded for 3 and 14 (Pick 14 and Barry to Melbourne)
- Subsequently traded for 6 and 23.

GWS then subsequently used those draft picks on Hoskin-Elliott, Sumner, O'Rourke, Plowman and Corr. By the end of this period, all will no longer be at GWS.

Collingwood reportedly wanting another first round pick this year.

Pick 17 and a future second round pick for their future first.

Pick 17 seems steep for moving up one round in 2021. Usually future picks have a discount, not the other way around.

GWS then subsequently used those draft picks on Hoskin-Elliott, Sumner, O'Rourke, Plowman and Corr. By the end of this period, all will no longer be at GWS.

This is why I have a little giggle at people insisting the mini-draft made the difference between GWS and GC and their actual levels of success. It could've been a massive advantage, but GWS employed SOS at the time so it basically ended up giving them a fourth choice KPD.

I agree with the general sentiment above about our likely list strategy.

If we assume the list sizes are set at 38 primary, 4 category A rookies and 2 category B rookies, we currently have 0 primary list spots, 3 category A and -1 category B. Therefore two total spots.

Out (3):
Delist/trade - Cox, Martin, Hinge, (Lester), (primary list player)

In (5):
Trade/FA - Daniher, Cockatoo
Draft - one live pick, Coleman
Rookie elevation - (Fullarton)
Rookie draft - (Lester), (primary list player), Uosis

So if we rookie Lester and another player on our primary list (e.g. Mathieson) who will supposedly be allowed to play without being elevated, we will have the list spots to take one live pick to the draft if we use our other pick on Coleman. This is assuming we're allowed to re-jig out rookies with regards to category A/B players.

As suggested, it makes sense that the plan will be either to combine the two picks and move up or trade into next year's draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tahj Abberley was our most consistent academy player this year, both at QAFL level with Grange, and the two games against the Suns academy. Played predominantly on the wing.

Blake Coleman probably our best prospect from a talent point of view. Would compliment his brother very well, as he has different weapons.

Crozier and Carter Michael are aways back compared to Abberley and Coleman.

I would be genuinely surprised if any opposition team went for any of our kids, apart from Coleman.

I reckon we should be able to bring most back as 19 year old academy kids, and covid protocols permitting, they get to play for our reserves next year.

Funny how our academy seems to produce types of players in waves. We had a good crop of talls come through there for a while starting at Freeman and ending with Payne. More recently it's been flankers with Coleman and and the boys who went to Richmond, now Colman Jnr and the other three lads who have been mentioned for this year. Hopefully the next wave is genuine midfielders! Would be nice to score a few of those. :)

Pick 17 seems steep for moving up one round in 2021. Usually future picks have a discount, not the other way around.
There’s a pretty common view that 2020 first round picks, especially later ones, are valued less than 2021 picks.

There’s a number of reasons for this.

2021 much less compromised top end of the draft pool.

The perceived strength and depth of next years draft, based on the respective U16 championships.

The uncertainty over the Vic prospects this year.

The possibility of late developers from this years draft crop falling in to next years draft.

Just on list sizes etc, Noble originally said on TR on Tuesday they weren’t expecting to hear what they’d be before trade period started.

He then said on Roar Deal that they had contact with the AFL later that day (Roar Deal recorded later that arvo) and he was now confident we would hear later this week what the size and salary cap would be, at least for next year.

Hopefully we hear today or tomorrow then.

I agree with the general sentiment above about our likely list strategy.

If we assume the list sizes are set at 38 primary, 4 category A rookies and 2 category B rookies, we currently have 0 primary list spots, 3 category A and -1 category B. Therefore two total spots.

Out (3):
Delist/trade - Cox, Martin, Hinge, (Lester), (primary list player)

In (5):
Trade/FA - Daniher, Cockatoo
Draft - one live pick, Coleman
Rookie elevation - (Fullarton)
Rookie draft - (Lester), (primary list player), Uosis

So if we rookie Lester and another player on our primary list (e.g. Mathieson) who will supposedly be allowed to play without being elevated, we will have the list spots to take one live pick to the draft if we use our other pick on Coleman. This is assuming we're allowed to re-jig out rookies with regards to category A/B players.

As suggested, it makes sense that the plan will be either to combine the two picks and move up or trade into next year's draft.
I don't know, but can a senior listed player still in contract such as Mato, not sure about Lester (IF resigned) be rookie listed? To me sounds like the AFLPA would not accept conditions where senior listed contracted players can be rookie listed at the whim of the club , but again I don't know

I don't know, but can a senior listed player still in contract such as Mato, not sure about Lester (IF resigned) be rookie listed? To me sounds like the AFLPA would not accept conditions where senior listed contracted players can be rookie listed at the whim of the club , but again I don't know

We've done it the last couple of years. If they're drafted by another club we guarantee they're paid their contract value with us as happened with Banfield IIRC

Unless it has changed, It is acceptable - with only half their contract coming under the salary cap. IIRC>

We've done it the last couple of years. If they're drafted by another club we guarantee they're paid their contract value with us as happened with Banfield IIRC
IIRC we covered the difference between the rookie wage (what Richmond paid) and Banfield's previous contract in that scenario. It saved us the rookie wage off our cap at last.

If Rayner and Mcluggage really love this club, they will sign a contract by the end of the year. Players who leave their contract to the final year obviously have one intention in mind - to shop themselves around.

Very hard to sign off on contracts without knowing cap or list sizes. Don't be surprised if they don't sign extensions until the new year.

Very hard to sign off on contracts without knowing cap or list sizes. Don't be surprised if they don't sign extensions until the new year.

I assume we would know the list sizes by the end of the week. I mean, we would have too, right? Either way, if we're given list sizes and cap spaces before the end of the year, and those two aren't signed, worry signs have to be put up.

I assume we would know the list sizes by the end of the week. I mean, we would have too, right? Either way, if we're given list sizes and cap spaces before the end of the year, and those two aren't signed, worry signs have to be put up.

Nope. Would not be concerned at all unless we're 5 rounds in and no contracts have been signed. Although I suspect both will sign before round 1.

Nope. Would not be concerned at all unless we're 5 rounds in and no contracts have been signed. Although I suspect both will sign before round 1.

The future of our club sort of depends on keeping those two players. Like Witherden, if we lost them then we would fall down the retention problem again. Hopefully both are signed by the end of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back