List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Noble said on the Roar Deal that we had to knock back player managers who were seeing if we were interested in their players. If we lose talented guys we can replenish them in the future. I think Brisbane has a real competitive advantage if our football department keeps up. As a footballer you get to earn a good wage whilst living somewhere much cheaper. Brisbane is bigger than the 90s town vibe Adelaide gives off. Its not too big where you have to deal with tha bs like Sydney. You can be completely anonymous. You've got access to nature everywhere. Players would be looking to take slightly less to get that advantage. There are only so many media types and money types that want that high flying pressurised environment like Dangerfield or Treloar. Our football department was sh*t and hence we couldn't retain anyone. Now that that is in order and Brisbane city itself has grown I dont think retention will be a big problem in the 2020s until the next load of complacent nepotism type pricks take over the board and front office leading to shambolic footy department
Pure speculation, but I’m guessing the vast majority of players we’re knocking back wouldn’t be close to our best 22, or they’re looking for a retirement fund.

I can’t see us knocking back any player who would genuinely improve our list for the next 5 years plus.

So Browny reckons we should go after Jack Redden and bring him back for a couple of years for some more experience in the middle.
Apparently Jack and his missus have plans to move back to Brissie when his football career is over, so he is thinking we should ask the question to try and get him back a couple of years earlier.

So Browny reckons we should go after Jack Redden and bring him back for a couple of years for some more experience in the middle.
Apparently Jack and his missus have plans to move back to Brissie when his football career is over, so he is thinking we should ask the question to try and get him back a couple of years earlier.
Good thing Browny isn't part of our recruitment team.

I like Reddo but I don't think we need someone like him at the moment. He's just going to take midfield minutes over our young players and I'm not convinced he offers much of an upgrade. He was injured quite a bit too.

Reddo of 2 years ago would have been a great addition, but I don't see the point now.

I like the idea. Like Browny says, Redden is a beast when it comes to running both ways and it is something we need to improve on next year. If he comes to us without a big price tag, I think the club would be interested in talking a 2-3 year deal.

If you're committed to the club, why would you personally delay a contract signing until your final year unless you're shopping yourself around? Rayner also committed in his first year when he got to the club as well, so him being out of contract in the final year isn't a good thing.

Again, I hope i'm wrong.
I can think of 3 reasons, all of which I think are reasonable. These are professional athletes - they have very short career spans:

1. As you say, you're shopping around. Have a look and see what's on offer. You might be considering family or girlfriends or fame or whatever.

Not great but understandable. Browny quite famously had a look around during his career. I'm pretty happy in my job, but if a competitor was trying to talk to me and had a good opportunity for me for position or dollars, I'd still listen.

2. Be using the deadline and the press and supporter unease to negotiate a better deal. While you're doing that, North have probably offered you $1.8m as well, which is just another negotiating point to try to get more money from your club.

Perfectly reasonable. I won't begrudge any player getting paid as much as they can. If my employer wanted me to sign a contract, and I thought I'd get a better salary by holding off a few months, that's what I'd do. Wouldn't you?

3. Back yourself in to increase your value. Win-win.

This is particularly true for someone like Rayner who is easily best 22, but hasn't really had a dominant breakout season yet. I think most would acknowledge that Rayner could become a star, but he hasn't got there yet. He might see this as a challenge... "I'm doing OK, but I know I haven't peaked yet. I've had moments, but with a big offseason and some good form, instead of this $500k offer I've got, I might get $700k or $800k. Another solid finals performance, a premiership and a Norm Smith, maybe even more than that!" Personally, I love it when players do this. Some players do really well with a contract hanging over their head. That extra 1% of motivation to get them to the next level.

Daniher announcement..
Pure speculation, but I’m guessing the vast majority of players we’re knocking back wouldn’t be close to our best 22, or they’re looking for a retirement fund.

I can’t see us knocking back any player who would genuinely improve our list for the next 5 years plus.

Noble has also talked a lot about our strategy. Even if we did have a few players that would be of interest, we probably aren't able to accommodate them. A lot of recruiting is done 1-2 years ahead, a lot of players we want next season, we would be having talks with now. If someone we were interested in flagged a desire now, it is very possible we would maybe be lining that up for next season. We would be looking at our salary cap projections to know if we can accommodate them, as well as then planning how we acquire them. Are they are FA or do we need to trade? Perhaps we have an option to trade a pick this year into next year to maybe help a trade next season. There is a lot of things that happen in the back ground.

Upon saying all that, certainly some things come up late and Noble has also made mention of being able to be flexible if something comes up. I do think with all the outside things such as salary cap and list size issues, we are fairly locked into what we want to do this season. I really feel like we are working on a mid for next year though. Noble has kinda avoided talk about mids coming in 'this year'. His language kept defaulting to talking about 'talls' 'this year'. Reckon we still want a mid, but are working on that still. A solid FA mid signing would be awesome next year, especially on top of the natural improvement in our younger players and maybe having someone like Cockatoo coming in. We also still have a couple of players that can add to us next year that didn't really get a look this year. Dev i think still looks like he will be a player, same as Berry Jr. Joyce i haven't seen but there has been big talk about him since we drafted him, reminds me a lot of how we talked about Redden when we drafted him. Wasn't much fan fair but we seemed really confident we got a player.

No mention from Mitch Cleary about the JD paperwork getting done today, more about JCameron.

We never seem to be really up and at it with things like this though. Never seem to rush to something, even when we know what is happening. Probably a few meetings this morning and going over a few things, dotting i's and crossing t's. Entirely possible we don't even submit it until Monday TBH, although i think it will be today.

I like the idea. Like Browny says, Redden is a beast when it comes to running both ways and it is something we need to improve on next year. If he comes to us without a big price tag, I think the club would be interested in talking a 2-3 year deal.
He peaked in 2018. Very doubtful he has 3 years left, my tip is he will struggle to 2. Never been a high possession winner and was down to below average levels this year. Would just be taking a spot from someone else without adding a great deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard rumours that we were into Higgins, making a late minute bid to steal him from Geelong
Two years ago I would have said fantastic addition. Even though he is a very accomplished player, at 32, I don't see us offering him enough to get him up north.

He peaked in 2018. Very doubtful he has 3 years left, my tip is he will struggle to 2. Never been a high possession winner and was down to below average levels this year. Would just be taking a spot from someone else without adding a great deal.

Don't mind Redden, think he plays a good role. However, i wouldn't be taking Redden and Lyons into the same team. Room for 1. We just don't need a player like Redden. We need a higher caliber mid to pair with Lyons and Neale so Zorko can start winding down playing across HF.

Sounds like Jack Redden has got Jono Brown doing some shovelling for him in the back ground. Only way Redden gets a game for us now is down back - providing some run out of the back line. Really isn't a spot for him if we are being serious and not romancing a former player returning. No doubt his best footy is behind him and he got injuries last year.

What's happening with Fiorini from the Suns? Didn't get much of a run last year and has ability. Might be worth looking at for our annual Suns scavenger hunt.

Might be the other Higgins we are chasing?
Nah I heard it was Shaun Higgins, just a rumour I heard at work. I think he would be a good pickup for a two year deal to try and get a flag. I doubt he will come to us over Geelong seeing that's where he's from and it's not like we could give him a massive payday

Don't see any point in a Shaun Higgins. Maybe 2 years ago, as you would get a solid 3-4 years. I can't see where he would slot into our side. Really don't think we need anymore older top up players. Birchall has that role currently and i think is helping our back 6 learn. Daniher will make a big difference if we get him nice and fit, likewise Cockatoo i think can add to our best 22 if we can get him fit as well. Add development from current crop and i think we are good to go for next year.

Rockliff is probably gettable as well, we should nab him while we are at it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back