List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:

I struggle to see the logic behind worrying about being 'matched'.

Surely we offer what we think is right in terms of years + salary. Our recruiting team doesn't play games.

Then if Essendon want to match, let them. Doesn't mean we have to go ahead with what they think a suitable trade would be.

This will almost certainly go to a trade. Mainly because we'll offer him 500k with add ons (up to 700k I'm guessing). There is no way we'd straight up offer him 700k a year. So of course Essendon would match that.

I'm ok with doing a trade with our picks, especially this year. They won't be getting any best 22 players though. Witherden at best and thats only if he wants to go.

Not sure why the club felt it had to release a short statement regarding Daniher. It always seems awkward when club release them prior to the player in question officially being traded or finalising their free agency transfer... I guess it just brings back the memories of the Dockers shenanigans with Mitch Clark.

Not sure why the club felt it had to release a short statement regarding Daniher, it always seems awkward when club release them prior to the player in question officially being made of player of that club... I guess it just brings back the memories of the Dockers shenanigans with Mitch Clark.
Meh, there's nothing else going on for us this week. Not sure this hurts anyone.

All this discussion about a potential forward coming over and no one had brought up his accuracy or not in front of goals (ok I think there was one Don poster bagging him for it but don't know the guy) ... I had heard that was the primary (and sometimes only) relevant stat! 😎

After reading all the posts regarding Daniher it appears the vast majority (about 97+%) are happy he is possibly Brisbane bound.
Personally i think their will be a lot of happy Essendon and Geelong supporters hearing this news.
I would rather we looked for someone else and/or save the $ resigning existing players
However if his contract is just 3 years & much much lower than the reported $700K then maybe.
Should the contract be heavily incentive based on games played i would be okay with that gamble.
Essendon would easily be able to match this type of contract offer if they wanted and force a trade. So be it.
It will be very much a gamble getting Daniher to play regularly.

Brisbane has a very good medical team but i think we get carried away with it's success in McCarthy. But
Birchall wanted to prove to Hawthorn that his knee was fine and played 3 games (17,19,20) at the end of 2019. In round 20 he had a hamstring injury which is not uncommon for knee injuries as they use part of hamstrings for repairs to knee. So nothing too miraculous in his playing most of 2020 for the Lions.
Callum AhChee is another thrown about as an injury prone player taken by the Lions.
Before coming to Lions he played 16,14,14 and then the injury year of 1 AFL game being in round 13 of 2019.
However he played 7 NEAFL games that year. Yes it was an injury year for him but i think the coach just did not see him in their plans.
This just one year after the Suns gave us Jarod Lyons for nothing so who knows what the Suns were thinking
Then we come to Adams who has only played 9 AFL games in 2 years.

So, 50/50 with two known injury prone players in Adams & McCarthy but they costs us basically nothing.
Daniher could cost us big $ and trade selections to placate Essendon
So a no from me
The Lions can't do anything until we are out of the finals race
So i hope we can look around for trades from say the 25/10/20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why the club felt it had to release a short statement regarding Daniher. It always seems awkward when club release them prior to the player in question officially being traded or finalising their free agency transfer... I guess it just brings back the memories of the Dockers shenanigans with Mitch Clark.

If you aren’t controlling the story, it will control you.

Wise to acknowledge it but reiterate that our sole focus is the finals. Otherwise everyone will be bombarded with questions at every presser about it

We’ve established the company line now... “we’re excited but we have a job to do... any questions about the prelim?”

Unlikely, that doesn't seem to be how we work.

We've seen similar situations where players have ended up at different clubs because they just wanted out and the "destination" club wanted to play hardball too much (hi, Fremantle!).
Feather in the cap gate.

Worth celebrating the medical staff as well. They have been a point of difference the past few years....although the jury is out on Adams, I think.

Footywire has Jack Payne out of contract, is that accurate or has he been extended?

Would you be happy to trade Witho plus one of our firsts for Joe HK?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Alex requests a move for more opportunity, then I might do that deal if there was something later coming back that we could use for cockatoo. E.g witho and our later first for Daniher and a future third that we flip for cockatoo.

But I’m probably more down on witho than the club is and more meh on draft picks than most so who knows.

Ideal scenario, they don’t match and we can use our two firsts to move up the draft order.

Prima facie I don't like the way it's been done by Joe right now, hope it's helping negotiate a win win because it's not an ideal distraction

Why would you even be interested? Not sure he's going to fill out. Will probably always have that Dustin Fletcher kinda physique.
Because we need key defenders who can actually defend their man. Stuck playing Keath as a full back at the moment which is not his best role. Only other option is Trengove, but he's too slow. I like what little I've seen of Payne so far but thought he may have been uncontracted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back