Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Henry was sitting at 19 from memory this time last year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Looking like a deep first round from that. There seems to be a reasonable case for trading down although coming away with O’Driscoll/Trew, McDonald and Walker seems like a well rounded haul.

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking like a deep first round from that. There seems to be a reasonable case for trading down although coming away with O’Driscoll/Trew, McDonald and Walker seems like a well rounded haul.

Fair amount of WA players there, not many Vic metro which usually points to a weakened draft.

Mogumber

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

Henry was sitting at 19 from memory this time last year

That’s probably what he was worth too, but he might be like English from CCGS and surprise earlier, in relation to Liam

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hard to see walker going that high when on exposed form so far he only gets 10 or 12 touches a game. Maybe he will breakout If there’s a national champs and put his name on the map. It would be great to get 2 picks in before walker is selected though. Would also be great if we grabbed walker with a junk pick in the 40s or 50s amd he turned out to be a first round talent. No sign of western in the rankings so it seems we might get him in the rookie draft?
At the moment we have pick 3 and pick 21 as the ladder stands (before points deficit and academy bids come in)

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hard to see walker going that high when on exposed form so far he only gets 10 or 12 touches a game. Maybe he will breakout If there’s a national champs and put his name on the map. It would be great to get 2 picks in before walker is selected though. Would also be great if we grabbed walker with a junk pick in the 40s or 50s amd he turned out to be a first round talent. No sign of western in the rankings so it seems we might get him in the rookie draft?
At the moment we have pick 3 and pick 21 as the ladder stands (before points deficit and academy bids come in)
Not a chance.....
Adjustments.JPG

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not a chance.....View attachment 907528

Thanks for sharing this. It’s nice to see our prospects so highly rated but most other mock draft boards on BF for example don’t have either walker or western in their top 30. A lot seem to be rating Walker due to his elite combine testing and physique, and over looking his low production, while discounting western due to his height even though He’s an excellent footballer and high possession getter. An ideal outcome for us would be best available mid with our first (likely top 10 pick), Melbourne to finish Bottom 2 or3 and we use their second rounder to draft someone like Logan McDonald with that pick, before bids on Walker and Western come in the 20-40 range. Add 4 draftees In total to the list - a good nights work.

Thanks for sharing this. It’s nice to see our prospects so highly rated but most other mock draft boards on BF for example don’t have either walker or western in their top 30. A lot seem to be rating Walker due to his elite combine testing and physique, and over looking his low production, while discounting western due to his height even though He’s an excellent footballer and high possession getter. An ideal outcome for us would be best available mid with our first (likely top 10 pick), Melbourne to finish Bottom 2 or3 and we use their second rounder to draft someone like Logan McDonald with that pick, before bids on Walker and Western come in the 20-40 range. Add 4 draftees In total to the list - a good nights work.
Got to feel bad the draft watchers though, there is nothing for them to watch...

WA is also notoriously hard for these guys to get footage of in the best of tiems. EDPS and Chris are the best ones to rely on for WA talent since they pay the most attention to our guys IMO

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not a chance.....View attachment 907528

There's always a chance. Western wasn't mentioned by that website in their in-the-mix section (another 17 names). With his height and WA talent often going later than they should, I think he is maybe in the 40-60 range. And at that point, I'm not sure anyone would bother bidding.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
coming away with O’Driscoll/Trew, McDonald and Walker seems like a well rounded haul.

I think that is the dream. WA tall + WA mid in whichever order, Walker and Western.

Of course we will pick a Victorian flanker, a Victorian mid no one has on their board and then not have enough list spaces to pick both the NGA guys.

I think that is the dream. WA tall + WA mid in whichever order, Walker and Western.

Of course we will pick a Victorian flanker, a Victorian mid no one has on their board and then not have enough list spaces to pick both the NGA guys.
We might be able to pull that off if Geelong really want our early pick for a couple of their mid first round selections.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

Normally I have no issue taking Vic players. As long as we don’t find ourselves paying a premium to keep Eastern state based talent at the Dockers I’m ok. But we have to remember that we are a club based on the edge of the country thousands of KM from the heartland of the competition. We have young, Serong, Cerra, Brayshaw and Sturt all tracking to be very good AFL players in 5 years time that will need to be paid accordingly. We can not afford to pay these guys an extra $100 or $200k purely to retain them in WA. That will hurt the clubs ability to retain other talent. Having some high draft picks from WA removes/lessens the risk of having to pay a premium to keep these guys here when they are in their mid 20s. That could ultimately be the difference between having enough cap space to trade in another A grade talent In a few years when we are in the premiership window or not. It would be silly to disregard this issue.
If two players are equally talented but one is from WA I’d lean towards taking the WA talent. If not, I would take the best player regardless of origin.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Normally I have no issue taking Vic players. As long as we don’t find ourselves paying a premium to keep Eastern state based talent at the Dockers I’m ok. But we have to remember that we are a club based on the edge of the country thousands of KM from the heartland of the competition. We have young, Serong, Cerra, Brayshaw and Sturt all tracking to be very good AFL players in 5 years time that will need to be paid accordingly. We can not afford to pay these guys an extra $100 or $200k purely to retain them in WA. That will hurt the clubs ability to retain other talent. Having some high draft picks from WA removes/lessens the risk of having to pay a premium to keep these guys here when they are in their mid 20s. That could ultimately be the difference between having enough cap space to trade in another A grade talent In a few years when we are in the premiership window or not. It would be silly to disregard this issue.
If two players are equally talented but one is from WA I’d lean towards taking the WA talent. If not, I would take the best player regardless of origin.
Don't speak such utter sense..
Can't afford to keep all the victoriana we have.
Especially guys that already have victorian girlfriends.

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Walkers production can’t be a knock on him. He players Half back in a very good side. The best Half backs only need to touch the ball 10-15 times a game to have a massive impact. His athleticism and elite kick are what will push him up the draft boards. It is very rare to find pace and an elite kick in the same player.

Add to the fact the amount of knee injuries and Academy players in the top 20. Walker will rise very quickly.

Draft central have scouts at WA games unlike many of the BF draft watchers. This early in the piece with no football they would be one of the most reliable sources having seen a large amount of his underage footy.

I’m expecting him to rise like Henry. I’m hoping he slide like Brander

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
We might be able to pull that off if Geelong really want our early pick for a couple of their mid first round selections.

Don't think we need to trade any picks given Melbourne's predicament could put our 2nd at 22-24ish.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks

I agree with that and I think there is a small amount of it in West Coast's apparent preference for drafting WA.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Walkers production can’t be a knock on him. He players Half back in a very good side. The best Half backs only need to touch the ball 10-15 times a game to have a massive impact. His athleticism and elite kick are what will push him up the draft boards. It is very rare to find pace and an elite kick in the same player.

Add to the fact the amount of knee injuries and Academy players in the top 20. Walker will rise very quickly.

Draft central have scouts at WA games unlike many of the BF draft watchers. This early in the piece with no football they would be one of the most reliable sources having seen a large amount of his underage footy.

I’m expecting him to rise like Henry. I’m hoping he slide like Brander

Production at WAFL colts level is very underwhelming.

That’s four levels from the AFL.

Is the lack of production because he can’t read the play or lack of hand ball receives or ability to get into space?

Or does his lack of product due to being more accountable?

Do people get seduced by the athlete and a beautiful kicking style?

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

The game now days is incredibly stats based and its usually the players with the higher ranking points that get the best opportunities. 10-15 touches would only be meeting the standard if the athlete laid a large number of tackles+spoils and had a high efficiency rate, else it wont be enough.

I remember seeing the best HB's would average between 130 - 150 Ranking points and these guys would have over 20-25 disposals average a game. Anything below 120 Ranking Points and you'll find that players may miss out from being picked up.

I think Brandon was sitting on around 80 RP last season.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
The game now days is incredibly stats based and its usually the players with the higher ranking points that get the best opportunities. 10-15 touches would only be meeting the standard if the athlete laid a large number of tackles+spoils and had a high efficiency rate, else it wont be enough.

I remember seeing the best HB's would average between 130 - 150 Ranking points and these guys would have over 20-25 disposals average a game. Anything below 120 Ranking Points and you'll find that players may miss out from being picked up.

I think Brandon was sitting on around 80 RP last season.
Part of the problem with modern football. Too much emphasis on stats and stats padder players. As an example - Look at the game last week against Adelaide. The best and most influential player on the park was Griffin Logue. Yeah he only had 14 disposals. He literally held freo together at times and I don’t think we would have won without him. No other player was more important to the end result. Yet the AFL website didn’t even include him in their best players from the match!

Back