Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't let's point too many fingers - one Tarryn Thomas is at Arden St courtesy of the old NGA rules....mind you the Doggies would be happy they snuck Ugle-Hagan in before the goal posts shifted

For the umpteenth time he at least had to satisfy some arbitrary ethnic lines the AFL threw together.

The northern 'academies' are free hits on any poor soul who can get a kick wanders into their zone. No ethnic diversity checks required.

I might've half bought their PR tripe until the son of a 300 gamer found his way into their academy too.

I guess if we wanted him and he wanted us, him being out of contract and us probably having the first pick in the PSD may be some hold over the matter we'd have and they could hardly blame a team for threatening to push somebody to the PSD after Martin. Hypothetically speaking of course.

I just can’t see him wanting to leave to be honest. He has cemented himself as the number 1 key forward, Carlton will offer him the world and they will have good money put aside for him.

You also have to look at the fact that he has just gone through a rebuild with Carlton. Does he really want to switch clubs and go through another one?

You also need to factor in what compensation we would have to give up to get him. Anyone thinking he is worth a mid range first round pick has rocks in their head. He is worth more than that and I don’t think we should be paying multiple high picks with where we’re at. There is the PSD argument, but I just can’t see that happening. It’s also only round 1 and we may not finish last.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just can’t see him wanting to leave to be honest. He has cemented himself as the number 1 key forward, Carlton will offer him the world and they will have good money put aside for him.

You also have to look at the fact that he has just gone through a rebuild with Carlton. Does he really want to switch clubs and go through another one?

You also need to factor in what compensation we would have to give up to get him. Anyone thinking he is worth a mid range first round pick has rocks in their head. He is worth more than that and I don’t think we should be paying multiple high picks with where we’re at. There is the PSD argument, but I just can’t see that happening. It’s also only round 1 and we may not finish last.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think he'd want to leave either but if we do end up deep bottom, with money in pocket, I expect the same ruthlessness of Carlton and Adelaide over the last couple of seasons bringing in a quality player for free.

I don't think he'd want to leave either but if we do end up deep bottom, with money in pocket, I expect the same ruthlessness of Carlton and Adelaide over the last couple of seasons bringing in a quality player for free.
Could you imagine, he’d become public enemy number 1 across the afl..

ff4d0a247cbd0794c6ad36346c78d92f.500x222x7.gif

Aren’t we taking ‘Super’ McArsey anymore?

Things move quickly round here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has released the first rounds of the 2021 NAB League Boys season with matches commencing this Saturday March 27, which will see elite Under-19 boys football return to Victoria 12 months after a 2020 season affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The future stars of men's football will be on display across Victoria kicking off with the Calder Cannons hosting the Western Jets at Highgate Recreation Reserve from 1.00pm on Saturday. All other matches will be played across the Easter long-weekend headlined by the 2019 premiers Oakleigh Chargers taking on Sandringham Dragons at RSEA Park in Moorabbin on Easter Monday, April 5 from 2.00pm.

The NAB League is the leading talent pathway program for boys and girls in Australia. On average over 50 per cent of players selected in the NAB AFL Draft come through the NAB League. The last 10 number one overall selections in the NAB AFL Draft have been drafted from the NAB League including Western Bulldogs young gun Jamarra Ugle-Hagan in 2020 drafted from the Oakleigh Chargers, Gold Coast midfielder Matt Rowell also from the Oakleigh Chargers in 2019 and Carlton gun Sam Walsh from Geelong Falcons in 2018.

The home and away season will feature 12 clubs from Victoria and the Tasmania Devils in a 15-week season. At the conclusion of the home and away season, a Wildcard Round will take place to determine positions four to eight with the top eight regions qualifying for a knockout finals format.

The top three sides in the home and season will have a bye while the remaining 10 sides will compete in the Wildcard Round for the finals five spots in the Finals. The NAB League Wildcard Round & Finals shall comprise of fourteen matches played over four consecutive weekends starting August 21/22.

The top-eight Finals series will commence in the last weekend in August with the Grand Final played at Ikon Park on the weekend of September 11/12. The first game of the 2021 NAB Under-19 Championships will commence on Thursday July 8 with the majority of matches played in September in Melbourne. On Saturday September 18, Victoria Metro face Victoria Country at the MCG with both squads made up of players from the NAB League.

2021 NAB AFL Academy players Braden Andrews (Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers), Sam Banks (Tasmania/Clarence), Campbell Chesser (Vic Country/Sandringham Dragons), Nick Daicos (Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers), Cooper Hamilton (Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers), Ben Hobbs (Vic Country/GWV Rebels), Blake Howes (Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons), Josh Rachele (Vic Country/Murray Bushrangers), Josh Sinn (Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons) and Tyler Sonsie (Vic Metro/Eastern Ranges) are all set to make their NAB League season debuts in the coming weeks.

AFL-Club Academy players, Josh Fahey (NSW/ACT/GWS Academy), Austin Harris (Queensland/Gold Coast Academy) and Ned Stevens (Northern Territory/Waratah/Gold Coast Academy) will also feature in games during the 2021 NAB League Boys season.

The first three weeks of the 2021 NAB League Boys fixture has been confirmed with match-ups also allocated for all rounds.

2021 NAB League Boys fixture available here.

The competition recess at the end of April will allow all boys to play community, school and senior football including in the VFL competition. The construction of the fixture will enable all boys the best opportunity to peak during August and September in the lead-up to the 2021 NAB AFL National Draft.

Quarter length will be 25-minute flat quarters with no time-on added. AFL in-play rules will be implemented for the 2021 season in addition to the density rules which has always been played in the NAB League.

The NAB League Morrish Medal will be awarded to the competition's best and fairest player as judged by the appointed Field Umpires who will record their selection of the three fairest and best players in the match in order of preference.

ROUND ONE
Calder Cannons v Western Jets, Highgate Recreation Reserve, Saturday March 27, 1.00pm
GWV Rebels v Geelong Falcons, CE Brown Reserve, Ballarat, Thursday April 1, 5.00pm
Calder Cannons v Eastern Ranges, Highgate Recreation Reserve, Friday April 2, 10.30am
Northern Knights v Western Jets, Highgate Recreation Reserve, Friday April 2, 1.00pm
Gippsland Power v Dandenong Stingrays, Morwell, Saturday April 3, 1.00pm
Murray Bushrangers v Bendigo Pioneers, Deakin Reserve, Shepparton, Sunday April 4, 1.00pm
Sandringham Dragons v Oakleigh Chargers, RSEA PARK, Monday April 5, 2.00pm
Bye - Tasmania

ROUND TWO
Northern Knights v Sandringham Dragons, Preston City Oval, Saturday April 10, 11:00am
Tasmania v Calder Cannons, Windsor Park, Saturday April 10, 12.30pm
Eastern Ranges v Oakleigh Chargers, Preston City Oval, Saturday April 10, 1.30pm
Bendigo Pioneers v Gippsland Power, Queen Elizabeth Oval, Sunday April 11, 10.00am
GWV Rebels v Dandenong Stingrays, Queen Elizabeth Oval, Sunday April 11, 12.30pm
Geelong Falcons v Murray Bushrangers, Queen Elizabeth Oval, Sunday April 11, 3.00pm
Bye - Western Jets

The AFL Talent Pathway Programs have been remodelled to further align and simplify the talent pathway calendar, to provide Boys' and Girls' Programs with the same opportunities for elite development while also increasing their connection to community football.

For the first-time, Talent Pathway Coaches will be full-time positions and work across both the Girls and Boys programs to ensure the same opportunities for both genders. These coaches will be supported by at least four assistant coaches with a combination of male and female coaches who have experience working with girls and boys football programs.

As part of the new model, age groups for all AFL Talent Pathway Programs, including the NAB League Girls and Boys and the NAB AFL / AFLW National Championships, will be re-focused from U16 and U18 Levels to U17 and U19 in 2021. The 2021 NAB AFLW National Championships will be played in the Easter School Holiday period in the first weeks of April.

On Saturday March 6 over 400 boys from across Victoria participated in the 2021 NAB League Boys Fitness Testing Day where the future stars of the AFL showed their physical prowess in front of AFL recruiters.

The AFL remains committed to aligning the National, State and Community programs and how it can best benefit the development, skill and pathway for girls and boys. The Talent Pathway Program will continue to focus on a holistic football program which is heavily invested in on and off field development and performance.

While COVID-19 continues to impact the community, the health and welfare of our players and the community remains the priority and all matches will operate in a safe manner anchored in the advice of respective governments, public health officials and medical experts. Strict protocols will be in place to protect players, officials, staff and the wider public at all matches. Spectators are allowed to attend matches but limited crowd capacity will be enforced at all venues.

All matches will be streamed live through the NAB League App with thanks to Telstra. The App can be downloaded through the App Store.

NAB League

COUNTRY REGIONAL TALENT OPERATIONS LEAD TALENT PATHWAYS COACH
Bendigo PioneersBrooke BrownDanny O'Bree
Dandenong StingraysToby JedwabNick Cox
GWV Rebels Phil Partington David Loader
Geelong FalconsTom LonerganPaul Corrigan
Gippsland Power Scott McDougal Rhett McLennan
Murray BushrangersMichael Wilson Mark Brown

METRO REGIONAL TALENT OPERATIONS LEAD TALENT PATHWAYS COACH
Calder Cannons Matt BurtonRoss Smith
Eastern Ranges Danny RyanTravis Cloke
Northern Knights Natalie Grindall Leigh Clarke
Oakleigh Chargers Jy Bond Jason Davenport
Sandringham DragonsMark WheelerJackson Kornberg
Western JetsLuke WilliamsRobbie Chancellor

* Cameron Joyce will continue to lead the Tasmania Devils in 2021.

After 7 years, literally moved back to SA last night.
Very bitter sweet, but a family based decision.
I’ll be keeping an eye/reporting on the South lads as much as I can.

Geez, how’s that for timing? That 7 years went by bloody fast too btw.

I believe Nash Reynolds is going to be Western Jets captain. He certainly acted like a captain at least at the pre-season testing
Just seen the Jets squad list, listed at 176cm and 19 years old. Not sure he'd be listed in our NGA anymore.

Western Jets have revealed their squad for the 2021 campaign as coach Robbie Chancellor assesses the club’s top AFL hopefuls.

Eight Western Jets have steeled themselves for the NAB League season by hitting the training track with VFL clubs over summer.

Top Jets prospects Billy Cootee (Essendon), Cody Raak (Footscray), Liam Conway (Williamstown) and Harrison White (Werribee) all had the chance to experience sessions with state league sides.

Nash Reynolds, Lachlan Green, Daniel Grmusa (all Werribee) and Lucas Failli (Williamstown) also had a taste of training at a higher level.

“I’m excited to see these older guys who have had some VFL exposure to come back to NAB League and impose themselves on the competition,” Jets coach Robbie Chancellor said.

“You can get caught up in coming back to NAB League level, but I’ve really challenged them to bring what they’ve learnt and the intensity they play and train with at VFL level to the rest of our boys.

“Playing against kids or young men as opposed to grown men who are experienced and have hardened bodies, it’s a different challenge for young footballers.

“It’s certainly one you learn quickly from, and I’m excited to see what they’ve learnt.”

Essendon Doutta Stars product Cootee has been appointed skipper and Reynolds vice-captain.

Chancellor said Cootee was a “natural leader” who has the ability to kick on both sides and is versatile.

“I just think he’s a really well-balanced young man and he brings what you want in a captain, where the journey’s meant to be enjoyable, but at times if players need to be challenged, he’s got that in him too,” he said.

“I’m really happy for Billy. He hasn’t played a lot of footy. He didn’t play at all last year and the year before he was coming off an achilles injury and only played a handful of games.

“He can play everywhere I think.

“I’m excited just to see him play and enjoying his footy.”

Next Generation Academy member Raak was given the green light to train with the Western Bulldogs this year and will be looking to put his name up in lights.

Raak is an intercept defender and played his junior football at Caroline Springs.
Cody Raak attempts a spoil during the 2019 season. Picture: Getty Images

Cody Raak attempts a spoil during the 2019 season. Picture: Getty Images

“He’s been really impressive in our last two intraclubs,” Chancellor said.

“We’re expecting a strong start to the year from him down back.”

Chancellor said midfielder Conway was one who had reaped enormous rewards from his time with VFL power Williamstown.

“He’s one that’s really benefited from training with senior bodies and senior players,” he said.

“He’s come back a different player I think.

“He’s put on some size, he’s 191cm, he can run and he can win his own footy. He’ll be playing as an inside mid for us, which I think is the next step for him, and I’m bullish if he can start the year well, he’s one who has the potential for higher honours.”

White played in a scratch for Werribee at the weekend and impressed against more seasoned opponents.

Former basketballer Paul Tsapatolis, who is a Category B rookie at Geelong Cats, has also been given approval to play with Jets to aid his development.

Chancellor said the Jets were set to be “full strength” for Saturday’s season opener against Calder Cannons at Highgate Reserve.

While they may lack height, they will be looking to use speed to their advantage.

“That’s the way we’ll be trying to be play, and will really encourage the guys with those attributes to take the game on and express themselves,” Chancellor said.

Saturday’s fixture will be the first NAB League boys match since the 2019 grand final.

Full Western Jets squad: Lucas Failli (Pascoe Vale), Harrison White (Werribee Districts), Riley Miksa (Hillside), Kyle Borg (Melton Bloods), Ben Mazziol (Keilor), Tate Wood (Caroline Springs), Lachlan Green (Yarraville-Seddon), Zen Christofi (Caroline Springs), Harrison Schumann (St Bernard’s), Jack Darling (Bacchus Marsh), Jaelen Pavlidis (Werribee Districts), Mace Cousins (Darley), Adam Azzopardi (Darley/ St. Patricks), Nash Reynolds (Darley), Billy Kolyniuk (Point Cook), Dylan Laurie (Caroline Springs), Riley Theo (Melton South), Ethan Acevski (Melbourne University Blues), Brodie Hicks (Altona/ Wesley College), Ethan Di Battista (Werribee Districts), Daniel Sargent (Taylors Lakes), Cody Raak (Caroline Springs), Brock Jacobsen (Keilor), Massimo D’Ambrosio (Point Cook), Simon Maiolo (Caroline Springs), Daniel Grmusa (Werribee Districts), Sam Clifford (Hoppers Crossing), Paul Curtis (Keilor), Billy Cootee (Essendon Doutta Stars), Lachlan Smith (Werribee Districts), Liam Conway (Williamstown CYMS), Cooper Mackenzie-George (Keilor), Tom Rowland (Altona), Jack Heron (Caroline Springs), Ryan Hargreaves (Keilor), Jack Bonnett (Werribee Districts), Malik Elfakahani (West Preston), Lachlan Grima (Werribee Districts), Joshua Kuppen (Point Cook), Zachary Pritchard (Yarraville-Seddon), Cameron Rains (Spotswood), Aidan Williams (Williamstown CYMS), Zayne Galea (Williamstown CYMS), Tane Roordink (Williamstown CYMS), Nathan Dowdy (Melton Bloods), Paul Tsapatolis (Geelong Cats), Colby Redpath (Altona), Zachary Steinhoff-Pino (Keilor)

Kanga Glory

Whose kid?

Essendon Doutta Stars product Cootee has been appointed skipper and Reynolds vice-captain.

Chancellor said Cootee was a “natural leader” who has the ability to kick on both sides and is versatile.

“I just think he’s a really well-balanced young man and he brings what you want in a captain, where the journey’s meant to be enjoyable, but at times if players need to be challenged, he’s got that in him too,” he said.

“I’m really happy for Billy. He hasn’t played a lot of footy. He didn’t play at all last year and the year before he was coming off an achilles injury and only played a handful of games.

“He can play everywhere I think.

“I’m excited just to see him play and enjoying his footy.”

Not really a whole lot on Cooper online. Wonder how he's tracking.

I thought he didn’t make the cut? For the knights squad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back