Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean he was traded to the dogs with a pick in the 30’s. My point being we will become a more attractive option to get a ready to go KPF once we sort out our midfield and it won’t cost much either.

See what you mean now.

Waite was an example of the mature KPF recruit too.

See what you mean now.

Waite was an example of the mature KPF recruit too.

For sure. Waite is a great example.

Also look at Melbourne. Tom McDonald is playing well and we could have got him for free if he suited our profile.

We also traded brown for a pick in the 30’s.

Jesse hogan (not that it’s worked out) was a late pick.

Charlie Dixon didn’t cost port the world a few years back.

And that’s not to say we can’t go tall with Mid season draft or our second rounder this year.

For sure. Waite is a great example.

Also look at Melbourne. Tom McDonald is playing well and we could have got him for free if he suited our profile.

We also traded brown for a pick in the 30’s.

Jesse hogan (not that it’s worked out) was a late pick.

Charlie Dixon didn’t cost port the world a few years back.

And that’s not to say we can’t go tall with Mid season draft or our second rounder this year.

Hawthorn were masters at picking off rucks and mature KPs after someone else developed them.

Yep. Sydney too.

This has got me thinking about the viewpoint (it might've been Psicosis who was floating this) that you don't really build your list around the spine as much anymore.

It's interesting that you can't fix a midfield with 1 recruit but you can in theory fix a specific position along the spine or the ruck spot essentially with some well targeted recruits. But you have to have built up a useful group of mids/flankers over several drafts/trade periods to be a contending side.

This has got me thinking about the viewpoint (it might've been Psicosis who was floating this) that you don't really build your list around the spine as much anymore.

It's interesting that you can't fix a midfield with 1 recruit but you can in theory fix a specific position along the spine or the ruck spot essentially with some well targeted recruits. But you have to have built up a useful group of mids/flankers over several drafts/trade periods to be a contending side.

Yeah, I think traditionalists will always suggest that you have to start with the spine (due to the time it takes to develop, etc.), however your point about not being able to fix a midfield with 1 recruit. St Kilda are a great example. They've brought in Steele (Gun), DHan (always injured), Crouch (overrated), Hill (overpaid) and their midfield is still not what I would consider "great".

Yeah, I think traditionalists will always suggest that you have to start with the spine (due to the time it takes to develop, etc.), however your point about not being able to fix a midfield with 1 recruit. St Kilda are a great example. They've brought in Steele (Gun), DHan (always injured), Crouch (overrated), Hill (overpaid) and their midfield is still not what I would consider "great".
I think this approach has merit, but it needs to be mids that are versatile and can run off half back or play half forward, or even as a genuine marking target forward. It's what we're seeing with Phillips early on -- they need to have other strings to their bow. You can't draft 10 of Phillips and expect it to be successful.

I think this approach has merit, but it needs to be mids that are versatile and can run off half back or play half forward, or even as a genuine marking target forward. It's what we're seeing with Phillips early on -- they need to have other strings to their bow. You can't draft 10 of Phillips and expect it to be successful.

Powell, Stephenson, Simpkin can all play on flank and wing. LDU & Phillips probably the more pure mids, however I'd like them both to work on that throughout the next few years, which I'm sure Noble will be prioritizing.

Jason Horne will be the type of mid you play one-out in the square for periods.

I was actually thinking that as I read your "next 300 games" comment above.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I hope we are debating for the next 15 seasons who is the better out of Powell and Phillips. I'm hoping they will be hugely complimentary. Phillips first touch out to the creative genius of Powell.

Powell, Stephenson, Simpkin can all play on flank and wing. LDU & Phillips probably the more pure mids, however I'd like them both to work on that throughout the next few years, which I'm sure Noble will be prioritizing.

Jason Horne will be the type of mid you play one-out in the square for periods.

Provided we continue to develop them, in a couple of years a core midfield of LDU, Phillips, Powell, Simpkin and Horne with guys like Stephenson, Scott and Lazzaro on the flanks/half forward is so bloody mouthwateringly elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That maxim probably made more sense in a VFL / proto AFL world based mainly on zoning and development through u19’s.

Player movement options are significantly expanded since then as are options for filling gaps through mid season draft, FA’s etc

Off their highlights last year. By draft time my preferred order was campbell, Phillips, DGB, then whoever, maybe Holland.

Phillips didn’t have highlights last year. Comparing Campbell’s top age year highlights to Phillips in his bottom age year, needs to be considered. They’re also a 5 minute highlight clip.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Phillips didn’t have highlights last year. Comparing Campbell’s top age year highlights to Phillips in his bottom age year, needs to be considered. They’re also a 5 minute highlight clip.

Yeah. And?

That you know bugger all from a 5 minute clip and comparing a 17 year old Campbell to a 16 year old Phillips needs to be taking into account. I thought the original post was pretty self explanatory.

Well d'huh. Congratulations Captain Obvious.

We're on a discussion board and all we have access to is a few video clips and the opinion of people involved with them as juniors. If you'd prefer people just shut up cos you don't agree with them just come out with it.

Well d'huh. Congratulations Captain Obvious.

We're on a discussion board and all we have access to is a few video clips and the opinion of people involved with them as juniors. If you'd prefer people just shut up cos you don't agree with them just come out with it.

He does bring up a good point about comparing 16 year olds stats to 17 year olds.

He does bring up a good point about comparing 16 year olds stats to 17 year olds.
I wasn't comparing stats tho. I was watching their highlights.

The reason I like Campbell was discussed with other posters last draft period. He reminds a few of us of Wayne Schwass with his attack and run at the ball. His ability to run into a pack and emerge from it with the ball then boot it long and accurately on his left is definitely Schwatta-like and I don't recall seeing anyone previously in any draft vid who ever reminded me of the great man. NEAFL juniors or whatever? So what. He was still showing something that I'm not used to seeing with draftees.

If we're doing 90s comparisons Phillips has a bit of Paul Kelly about him too. His ability to win the contested ball and clear it is bloody unreal. Especially as a kid playing against adults slightly bigger kids with last year's picks 1 and 2 in the same side.

Stats can be useful and are getting better but they don't convey stuff that is a bit harder to measure.

The Northern Knights and Sandringham game is being streamed on the NAB League app. If you're put off watching a game on your phone/tablet, then you can easily watch it on a computer with an android emulator like Bluestacks. It only took me a few minutes to set it up.

You don't need to be an experienced junior watcher to tell that Sinn and Chesser are the two best players on the ground. I also don't believe the listing of 186cm and 72kg for Sinn, as he looks like an absolute monster out there. A few of the overragers doing well for the Northern Knights, but I wouldn't be excited to draft any of them so far. There's definitely something there too with Edwards from Sandringham. He moves well for 202cm.

Jackson Archer won a free kick on the wing and then kicked directly to a Sandringham opponent who was in space. My first thought was that he is going to fit in tremendously with our backline. Too early to tell anything with him, but I thought that was a funny moment.

Edwards contested marking all over the ground that quarter. Very impressive and would be a decent chance to be taken by us in the midseason draft.

lol at the livestream cutting back in before the start of the 4th quarter and someone going "get off the ground you idiots"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back