Women's Footy 2021 AFLW Preliminary Final: Brisbane Lions vs Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And the 6000+ who turned up for the North game were all there by half time. I spoke to a couple of people on the day who turned up around then because they weren't aware of when the game was supposed to start. Your condescending attitude towards the women's game is not appreciated or necessary.

ETA: there had been confusion about the start of the women's game because the ticket master advertising stated the start of the men's game quite prominently and people assumed that was when the women's game started.
You are confusing "condescending attitude" with facts
I have been a supporter of AFLW since the start, as i stated.
I assume you actually checked the link to look at the crowd numbers.
My link to "Austadiums" did not have a crowd number for the game you mentioned, Freemantle V West Coast it was listed as TBA
Which official site did you get the 7000 number from. It may very well be close to correct as it is two local teams in AFL mad WA
I also gave reasons for the drop in numbers for 2021
Not sure about you point regarding the Lions v North figure. No way for either of us to know at what time that was taken. I said possibly 1/2 time but could have been earlier or later

Summer v Winter AFLW Games
Men's soccer could not compete with playing at the same time as AFL, NRL & Union
The best thing Soccer ever did was to change tradition and play in summer. They now only have Cricket to compete with at this time
Summer is when AFLW started their journey and was very successful with a limited number of teams
The AFLW is set to expand even more and how that is managed will be crucial
The AFLW need to go back to being a summer sport. NOT junior games they stay a winter sport
The lighting at venues need to improve at venues to enable more night games in the long term
Sponsors don't want to share a similar market in winter. Moving to summer should get better sponsorship $.
The number of young girls/ladies taking up AFL has been huge. But this does nor necessary transfer to attendances in winter
Summer will see a return to better crowds

Regarding the measly $10. They would be running a huge loss at the Gabba at that price. So no point in charging at all.
If Hickey Park was available they may have been better off playing at that venue. Possibly get a better crowd to cheer them on
As it is i would be interested in where they will place the fans for this game

The AFLW is now part of the $ Billion+ Media Package. Nothing worse than watching games with small crowds as in 2020/2021 be it male or female games
Channel 7, Fox, Kayo & Telstra will be watching closely
Free entry = Better crowds = Better viewing experience = More likely a product is seen as a added value asset for next media deal

So for me the AFLW/AFL have gone 2 years early on charging to attend games
Nothing condescending about this opinion.
It is what i believe should have happened to ensure they continue to gain popularity and succeed in the long term

My link to "Austadiums" did not have a crowd number for the game you mentioned, Freemantle V West Coast it was listed as TBA
Which official site did you get the 7000 number from. It may very well be close to correct as it is two local teams in AFL mad WA
Not sure about you point regarding the Lions v North figure. No way for either of us to know at what time that was taken. I said possibly 1/2 time but could have been earlier or later

Men's soccer could not compete with playing at the same time as AFL, NRL & Union
The best thing Soccer ever did was to change tradition and play in summer. They now only have Cricket to compete with at this time
Summer is when AFLW started their journey and was very successful with a limited number of teams
The AFLW need to go back to being a summer sport. NOT junior games they stay a winter sport
The lighting at venues need to improve at venues to enable more night games in the long term
Sponsors don't want to share a similar market in winter. Moving to summer should get better sponsorship $.
The number of young girls/ladies taking up AFL has been huge. But this does nor necessary transfer to attendances in winter

Regarding the measly $10. They would be running a huge loss at the Gabba at that price. So no point in charging at all.
If Hickey Park was available they may have been better off playing at that venue. Possibly get a better crowd to cheer them on

The AFLW is now part of the $ Billion+ Media Package. Nothing worse than watching games with small crowds as in 2020/2021 be it male or female games
Free entry = Better crowds = Better viewing experience = More likely a product is seen as a added value asset for next media deal

It is what i believe should have happened to ensure they continue to gain popularity and succeed in the long term

Got the freo/Eagles number off the link you provided. Date: 7/03. Optus stadium. Crowd: 7469

So just because they aren't going to be making massive bank on a $10 entry fee it's better to charge nothing? I think it's better to start charging small then when the league skill level is even higher and justifies a higher entry fee people won't be kicking up a stink because suddenly they're expected to pay. And you appreciate what you have to pay for. When things are free and taken for granted respect for the free thing tends to be non existent.

Who cares if the crowd is only a few thousand (which I don't think it will be)? I go to watch the players not the crowd.
And the women shouldn't have to play in summer. You ever played a game of footy in ******* summer? It is a heinous torture. Aussie rules is a winter sport for a reason.

Last edited:
Hope i am wrong but i predict a crowd of under 1,000 for this game.
Could be as low as 500 unless the promotions team have been active in giving away lots of tickets

I have been to all the Lions AFLW games played in SEQ since they started but won't attend this game
Unfortunately because of the clash the only way i can see both live is to watch on TV.

Think you might be surprised. Plenty of tickets sold already if the Ticketmaster site is any indication. My guess is around 4000 sold.

Got the freo/Eagles number off the link you provided. Date: 7/03. Optus stadium. Crowd: 7469

So just because they aren't going to be making massive bank on a $10 entry fee it's better to charge nothing? I think it's better to start charging small then when the league skill level is even higher and justifies a higher entry fee people won't be kicking up a stink because suddenly they're expected to pay. And you appreciate what you have to pay for. When things are free and taken for granted respect for the free thing tends to be non existent.

Who cares if the crowd is only a few thousand (which I don't think it will be)? I go to watch the players not the crowd.
And the women shouldn't have to play in summer. You ever played a game of footy in ******* summer? It is a heinous torture. Aussie rules is a winter sport for a reason.
I was thinking LionsMaw must be getting this crowd number from another source as it is defiantly listed as TBC
Checked my page i took the link from again to see if i was seeing things but no it's TBC
Then i checked the actual link i provided and sure enough it is 7469 as you stated.
Can't explain the glitch
Just so you don't think i made it up here is a screenshot of the page i "copied & paste the url" to the initial post.
As you can see it is TBA so have no answer for that glitch.

Regarding everything else we just have a different opinion on how the AFLW is going to improve participation/attendance and maintain
long term support from the AFL. It will need this support to survive just as the men's game depends on the AFL yearly distribution from the media rights deal to also survive.

1617968166951.png

Think you might be surprised. Plenty of tickets sold already if the Ticketmaster site is any indication. My guess is around 4000 sold.
I don't mind being wrong on crowd numbers
Be interesting to see the break up of Lions v Pies supporters
The Pies supporters at least have more time (about 1 hour 15 minutes) to go and find a TV and watch the men if they want
I am looking forward to the AFLW Lions game and hope they make the GF

Summary of the last time we met the Pies
Game moved from Brisbane to Melbourne with only 24 hours notice
Result Lions 35 hung on to beat previously unbeaten Pies 32 in windy conditions
Lions led at all changes; 13, 10, 16 and final siren 3
Telling fact we don't want repeated. Lions lost inside 50 count 26 to 11
Pies lost 2 players by 1/2 time.
Match ups on the day.
Svarc to Davey (14 disposals mostly after 1/2 time)
Koenen to Molloy (only 5 disposals)
Best
Lions: Anderson - Conway - Bated - Svac - Lutkins
Pies .: Bonnici - Norder - Schieicher _ Lambert - Chiocci
I imagine the matchups will be the same.
Hope we come out on top again in matchups but that is not a given
We play a pressure game which is good in finals but we need to increase our goal scoring.
Low scoring pressure games can go either way.
So no missing easy shots at goal and some good decision making under pressure will go a long way to beating the Pies today
Lions by 14 i hope.

The Lions v North attendance figure was taken at 3/4 time as per the club. This was mentioned several times after the game by both club staff and players in interviews.

100% agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woo! Free $10 voucher for being a NAB customer! Neato.

Forwarding us all through gate 2 though...hmmm.

Back