Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Howe + 23 (26) for Stephens + 37ish (41ish) would be sweet!

*just checked his stats & he doesn't get much of it.
** went at Pick 5, they'd want at least 3x 1sts + COLA... :rolleyes:

if you think Howe on his own would probably go for a late 2nd rounder (with us giving them a 3rd/4th back) it probably equates to a pick in the mid-20s. So I think it's slightly overs on their part, but a trade like that would be cool.

Then our other early 2nd can be used for Cerra, and we suddenly have a bunch of mids taken high in the draft without ever actually going to the draft for them...

Stephens reminds me of O’Rourke. Lovely draft highlights but for whatever reason the traits he showed as a junior haven’t translated to AFL. Of course Jono had chronic injuries and Stephens doesn’t - and he may simply be a late bloomer - but I’d personally like to steer clear given it’ll cost a second pick + extra at minimum.

Stephens reminds me of O’Rourke. Lovely draft highlights but for whatever reason the traits he showed as a junior haven’t translated to AFL. Of course Jono had chronic injuries and Stephens doesn’t - and he may simply be a late bloomer - but I’d personally like to steer clear given it’ll cost a second pick + extra at minimum.

Stephens has shown some really nice signs but for whatever reason Sydney keep dropping him or making him the sub. He probably isn't consistent enough yet but he's shown enough flashes IMO to suggest he's got a solid future ahead.

Stephens has shown some really nice signs but for whatever reason Sydney keep dropping him or making him the sub. He probably isn't consistent enough yet but he's shown enough flashes IMO to suggest he's got a solid future ahead.
He's an MCG player. Will never go well at the SCG long term. Will cost too much and a big risk of being a bust

I was reading the Suns board and apparently they will only be taking one, at most two picks at the draft, with the rest of their picks being traded for peanuts, like last year. They have multiple academy picks plus need to reduce their list. Hopefully Sam/ Mackenzie try and strike up some sort of relationship so we get an opportunity to partake in the feast. Our future 2nds/3rds would seem valuable commodities. Even a swap of firsts this year or future firsts.

I know that under Wrighty we were generally a soft touch about what we paid, and never seem bothered about live trading of picks, but we are under new management now.

Also, should we end up trading players we may agree to pay part of their salary to secure better picks.

Food for thought! Seriously wouldn't mind losing the rest of our matches in an honorable non-tanking way. 50/50 chance of being 14th at the end of round 20, which would be disappointing after all the effort we put towards improving our draft haul.

Seeing as I'm in the hypothetical thread...

Would someone like Liam Shiels be of value to a team like GC? He has great experience/leadership qualities. He is not the player he once was, but he can still do a job, is tough, and a good runner. I wonder if GC would pay a little extra for his experience and 'clubmanship'. Would their 2nd rounder be out of the question?

Would people consider trading Gunners? Is 30 in a few months time and now has back issues. If he could convince another club his back was ok, would hope we could get a pick in the late 20s for him and then use that on a young small forward with pace, x factor and a love of forward defensive pressure.

We should have done it last year when Collingwood's first was up for grabs.

If we can package him to get another first rounder then I'd be all for it.

Not sure on Dawson, would love Stephens though. Exactly what we need in terms of skillset and only 20.

Would love Stephens.

Dawson is a lethal kick and is 193cm. He would be a good addition, though we do have enough HBF's as it is. If we got him it would surely be with an eye to move Day and/or Scrimshaw up the field. Sicily could become trade bait then too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would someone like Liam Shiels be of value to a team like GC? He has great experience/leadership qualities. He is not the player he once was, but he can still do a job, is tough, and a good runner. I wonder if GC would pay a little extra for his experience and 'clubmanship'. Would their 2nd rounder be out of the question?

I'd be gobsmacked if they gave up an early 2nd for Shiels.

I think we proposed something like this ti him when he had more value, but I think his roots are too deep in Melbourne now- with his business and all.

I liked Stephens in his draft year but Swans fans seem realllllllllly down on him. It is not common for a supporter base to just turn on a high pick so early in his career.

Stats are poor, the little I have seen of him has bee underwhelming to say the least. Not overly interested.
Reckon he'd come very cheap at this point- Sydney would probably posture for a first rounder/something very high up, but I think he could be our Scrimshaw-esque pick up this year.

OK, so I am going to preface this by stating at the outset that it is tongue in cheek, but what about trading Saunders to the saints. They pay a premium for people with his first name.

Reckon he'd come very cheap at this point- Sydney would probably posture for a first rounder/something very high up, but I think he could be our Scrimshaw-esque pick up this year.
On exposed form he hasnt even lit a match let alone set the scg on fire. He would need to come very cheaply which is always a difficult outcome for kids drafted early.

Any clue as to why swans supporters are down? Attitude, training, buying into culture?

On exposed form he hasnt even lit a match let alone set the scg on fire. He would need to come very cheaply which is always a difficult outcome for kids drafted early.

Any clue as to why swans supporters are down? Attitude, training, buying into culture?
No clue sadly, but hopefully it's similar to Scrimshaw and more to do with the environment as opposed to him.

I liked Stephens in his draft year but Swans fans seem realllllllllly down on him. It is not common for a supporter base to just turn on a high pick so early in his career.

Stats are poor, the little I have seen of him has bee underwhelming to say the least. Not overly interested.
Yep… similar to way our supporter base has been down on Finn

Isn’t Dylan Stephens from South Australia?

I doubt he'd want to at this stage. Would probably rather retire but I bet he thinks he still has plenty left in the tank. He probably has a couple more years but not sure how he fits into our midfield mix going forward. He owns a gym here I think and is pretty hands on from what I remember so couldn't see him packing up and heading to QLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back