Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean some of us on the board, I recall Philthy amongst others looking ahead to this draft over last years. There was the vein of thought that because there was so little footy some good kids from last year would be missed and be available this year and that this crop would get a good run at it. Port trading out it’s picks probably has as much to do with them getting eaten up in matching a bid on Burgoyne as anything as not rating the draft.

Guess the point remains, what suggests next year will be better? All I can say is that I’m glad we aren’t rebuilding!

I think the development just hasn't happened that a lot of us thought would happen.

SA looks alright but with the usual problems (a lot of good mids under 180cm for eg). WA looks ok with talls but they are quite speculative. A lot of the guys that missed out last year that were expected to be diamonds in the rough either got drafted in the mid year draft or mostly haven't gone on with it. Then you look at the draft age Vic crop and it looks pretty thin compared to usual.

I think the top 10 has a lot of talent but it also wouldn't surprise me if its one of those drafts that in 10 years time you look back and go 'yeah that wasn't very good' like a 2003 or a 2014.

Next years SA crop looks deeper than this years, WA's crop looks more well rounded and Vic looks a lot better.

I mean some of us on the board, I recall Philthy amongst others looking ahead to this draft over last years. There was the vein of thought that because there was so little footy some good kids from last year would be missed and be available this year and that this crop would get a good run at it. Port trading out it’s picks probably has as much to do with them getting eaten up in matching a bid on Burgoyne as anything as not rating the draft.

Guess the point remains, what suggests next year will be better? All I can say is that I’m glad we aren’t rebuilding!
Yeah it was the Sa talent that I liked. And largely they still look pretty decent.

It’s the fact that the Vic talent is very shallow this year and that qld, nsw and tassie have thrown up next to no one (like wtf? Isn’t the argument for spending billions on these expan teams and letting them have academies so they can grow the pool?)

And that normally as the year unfolds a bunch of new players emerge from nowhere (some have but no where near the usual amount) and kpps start emerging, which didn’t really happen.

Next years crop have been dominant already in the Sa under 18’s (partially because of the best 2/3 draftees not being there too I guess)

All the best kpp (by miles) going around in the under 18’s this year are for next years draft. The centrepieces of each team in many cases have been under-Agers (bar north off the top of my head)

Vic has some real guns in next years drafts. There’s a handful of genuine centre mids who have the potential to become their teams best mid or close to it (where as in this draft it’s mostly a bunch of flanker might become mids). Jhye Clark is my personal favourite.

Might fall at the first hurdle: his step-father only played 86 games for Port in the AFL.
Ah that’s right. For some reason I thought he played 100 and something games for port but that is afl games. Had his start with brisbane.

Still an interesting what if though for the afl and it’s father son rules.

Ah that’s right. For some reason I thought he played 100 and something games for port but that is afl games. Had his start with brisbane.

Still an interesting what if though for the afl and it’s father son rules.

Should count his Port sanfl games too ;)

So what’s stopping port from taking Jason as a port father / son? A legal document?

It’s an interesting test of the rules.
A 100 game career at Port to start with, before any legal document.

So does anyone want to hazard a guess as to who might be on our draft radar?
Assume we match bids on Burgoyne in the second round.

Hearing from some posters here that Draper fron South is one we (and the Corporation) are interested in.

Maybe someone like Erasmus or Goater as a taller mid/utility could still be there by our pick?
A smokey - Leek Aleer as a speculative late/rookie tall?
Is Murley too small for AFL - seems to have genuine speed and a decent kick on him? Had injuries too. May have been in Port's NGA bunch, or was that last year?
Jackson from North is a ball magnet, but pics I have seen of him he looks skinny as.
Wanganeen-Milera sounds exciting, but isn't he a Camry NGA option? Maybe not, if he is a city lad rather than country?
WA have a couple of decent sounding KPP's. Depends how early they get taken, and if gone by our picks, I suppose?
The best Vic kids sound like they will all be top 15 or thereabouts, so I guess they'll be gone by our turn!
Mani Liddy impressed in State trials recently, and is playing league atm.
Shane Breuer's lad impressing in the Vic U'18 NAB comp recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hearing from some posters here that Draper fron South is one we (and the Corporation) are interested in.

Maybe someone like Erasmus or Goater as a taller mid/utility could still be there by our pick?
Is Murley too small for AFL - seems to have genuine speed and a decent kick on him? Had injuries too. May have been in Port's NGA bunch, or was that last year?
Jackson from North is a ball magnet, but pics I have seen of him he looks skinny as.
Wanganeen-Milera sounds exciting, but isn't he a Camry NGA option? Maybe not, if he is a city lad rather than country?
WA have a couple of decent sounding KPP's. Depends how early they get taken, and if gone by our picks, I suppose?
The best Vic kids sound like they will all be top 15 or thereabouts, so I guess they'll be gone by our turn!
This far out and with our pick being so late it’s really hard to guess where we may be looking.

There’s been a couple of vague reports that both crows and port are interested in Draper over the last year but I can’t even remember where I saw them.

Goater has lots of fans including me. It seems unlikely that he would make it past the first 13 or so picks. Though he does strike me as a player Parker would be very keen on.

Murley is very small and compact. There’s lots to like though I would not want to select him too early. Seeing him at champs against the best midfielders would be handy.

I don’t think Hugh Jackson is that skinny is he? Has a frame that I think will be pretty strong too.

Nasiah is not a crows nga eligible player. There’s some interesting elements there but wouldn’t be a big need for us and don’t see us having picks where he might go.

Wa’s kpps seem to be drifting further and further on draft boards except for amiss.

I don’t think liddy has a specific afl toolset that separates him. Just a decent all rounder from what I’ve seen.

Breuer is interesting and I’ve tried to watch some of his games but he doesn’t get involved much (I haven’t seen one of his few midfield games) but as a defender doesn’t get near it enough to really make much of a judgment when watching on a screen. From the sounds of it he’s end of draft / rookie list material but has some tools that are interesting.

The only thing we can guess is that we have a lack of genuine centre mids, young developing key defenders, and I think genuine small forwards (tho several midfielders with dangerous abilities forward)

That boak and gray are at the end of their careers might tip our hand at where we may be looking for future players, but as always the way the cards fall at draft time kinda direct what player type you end up drafting.

I like mitch knevitt at our first would love goater but it just isn't gonna happen

For some reason I thought he also played after his AFL career was done but 1 guess not.

He definitely played after 2001. I can't remember if he went from Port to South, or from South to Port though

He definitely played after 2001. I can't remember if he went from Port to South, or from South to Port though

I even had a feeling he played before he went to Melbourne, but that was 1991, so they must have drafted him as a 16yo from Port's 1990 reserves team.

Jason Horne-Francis did his AFL Academy stint at Port earlier this year.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/911630/draft-hopefuls-experience-life-at-alberton

IT would be pretty unusual for Port Adelaide to open its doors to a player from a rival club but that’s exactly what happened this week when South Adelaide teenager Jason Horne spent some time at Alberton.

Horne was visiting as part of the NAB AFL Academy program, along with prospective father-son player Jase Burgoyne.

Horne has been a revelation in the opening two rounds of the SANFL already being named as the competition’s Powerade Breakthrough Player of the Week.

With Port Adelaide playing the Panthers this week, the 17-year-old admits it has been a bit strange to be training with players he will line up against on Saturday.

“Dad used to play for Port so I’ve got to support them a bit,” Horne told portadelaidefc.com.au.

Lets look at it from a worst case scenario basis, we bomb out in straight sets and end up with pick 13 or thereabouts

I think its safe to assume that:
- Daicos, Horne, Darcy, Hobbs, Gibcus, Erasmus, Callaghan, Roberts won't be there at our pick. Unless some miracle happens they 100% won't be available

Likely to be gone, but pants down lap around the table time if they fall to our pick:

1) Josh Sinn: 186cm Defender. Plays like Houli. Attack attack attack. He's quick, he's skillful and he takes the game on from the backline. Do we need another flanker? No. But if he's there, you pick him. There is midfield potential there and if the midfield craft does click, look out, he'll be a superstar.

2) Josh Rachele: 181cm Forward/Mid. Plays like Butters. Class personified. Has potential elite qualities as both a forward and as a midfielder down the track. Goal sense, poise with the ball, undeniable football smarts and a hint of x-factor in there as well. He's my dream pick for our first.

3) Josh Ward: 181cm Midfielder. Plays like Boak. Classy, ball magnet, good user, kicks goals, inside and out, hard at it. Most likely will be a top 10 pick but a chance he drops to us. Would definitely be in contention at our pick

4) Josh Goater: 190cm Midfielder. Plays like Taranto. Tall, athletic, quick, skillful, goalkicker, match winner. He has it all. May end up in the 100% unavailable group by the end of the season.

The main options for our pick:

1) Mac Andrew: 200cm Ruck/KPP. Plays like Dougal. Interesting raw NGA prospect for Melbourne who's shot up the rankings this year. Super athletic and looks capable to be moulded into any of a number of different roles.

2) Arlo Draper: 184cm Forward/Mid. Plays like Breust. Impactful medium forward who can be a match winner in key moments. Good in the air, smart on the ground, is a natural momentum swinger. Can play midfield and has improved there throughout the season and it may be his more natural home.

3) Matthew Johnson: 192cm Midfielder. Plays like Poulter. Good size and a clean mover in traffic, keeps his hands free and has good peripheral vision.

4) Tyler Sonsie: 181cm Midfleder. Plays like Parish. Was my #3 coming into this year after stunning form as a junior but has probably slipped down the rankings a bit. Another classy midfielder who leads by example and can win a game for you. Potential is through the roof.

5) Campbell Chesser: 186cm Midfielder. Plays like Duursma. Has good pace and would be an excellent link up option on a wing. Smart user of the football and regularly delivers good footy inside 50. Can never have enough good ball users

6) Lewis Rayson: 181cm Defender/Midfielder. Plays like Salem. Half back distributor who whilst not super quick, has a keen eye and can weave through traffic. Has one of the best kicks in this years pool. Footy smarts are through the roof and should move further up the ground.

7) Hugh Jackson: 181cm Midfielder. Plays like Mitchell. Hard running ball magnet who is the king of the clearances in this years draft pool. Again not quick but his gut running is superb.

My order would be:

1) Rachele
2) Sinn
3) Goater
4) Ward
5) Sonsie
6) Jackson
7) Draper
8) Rayson
9) Chesser
10) Johnson
11) Andrew

Some other points from this:

- We are definitely hot on Draper

- I wouldn't say Murley is too small, but he gives off Sam Gray vibes to me. I'm not all that interested.

- Jackson is slender but he's also probably in the top 3 contested juniors i've seen in the last 10 years, so he's probably well ahead of others who are bigger.

- NWM is exciting and isn't a Crow. He's probably a late teens/20's pick. I really like him. But there is some bust potential there.

- Not really keen on any of the WA talls at our first pick and they'll all be gone by our next pick at this stage

- Liddy would be a good late/rookie pick. I liked him last year and was surprised he didnt get a crack as a rookie somewhere.

- Breuer's lad is another ball magnet and he'll definitely get picked up somewhere i'd think.

Lets look at it from a worst case scenario basis, we bomb out in straight sets and end up with pick 13 or thereabouts

I think its safe to assume that:
- Daicos, Horne, Darcy, Hobbs, Gibcus, Erasmus, Callaghan, Roberts won't be there at our pick. Unless some miracle happens they 100% won't be available

Likely to be gone, but pants down lap around the table time if they fall to our pick:

1) Josh Sinn: 186cm Defender. Plays like Houli. Attack attack attack. He's quick, he's skillful and he takes the game on from the backline. Do we need another flanker? No. But if he's there, you pick him. There is midfield potential there and if the midfield craft does click, look out, he'll be a superstar.

2) Josh Rachele: 181cm Forward/Mid. Plays like Butters. Class personified. Has potential elite qualities as both a forward and as a midfielder down the track. Goal sense, poise with the ball, undeniable football smarts and a hint of x-factor in there as well. He's my dream pick for our first.

3) Josh Ward: 181cm Midfielder. Plays like Boak. Classy, ball magnet, good user, kicks goals, inside and out, hard at it. Most likely will be a top 10 pick but a chance he drops to us. Would definitely be in contention at our pick

4) Josh Goater: 190cm Midfielder. Plays like Taranto. Tall, athletic, quick, skillful, goalkicker, match winner. He has it all. May end up in the 100% unavailable group by the end of the season.

The main options for our pick:

1) Mac Andrew: 200cm Ruck/KPP. Plays like Dougal. Interesting raw NGA prospect for Melbourne who's shot up the rankings this year. Super athletic and looks capable to be moulded into any of a number of different roles.

2) Arlo Draper: 184cm Forward/Mid. Plays like Breust. Impactful medium forward who can be a match winner in key moments. Good in the air, smart on the ground, is a natural momentum swinger. Can play midfield and has improved there throughout the season and it may be his more natural home.

3) Matthew Johnson: 192cm Midfielder. Plays like Poulter. Good size and a clean mover in traffic, keeps his hands free and has good peripheral vision.

4) Tyler Sonsie: 181cm Midfleder. Plays like Parish. Was my #3 coming into this year after stunning form as a junior but has probably slipped down the rankings a bit. Another classy midfielder who leads by example and can win a game for you. Potential is through the roof.

5) Campbell Chesser: 186cm Midfielder. Plays like Duursma. Has good pace and would be an excellent link up option on a wing. Smart user of the football and regularly delivers good footy inside 50. Can never have enough good ball users

6) Lewis Rayson: 181cm Defender/Midfielder. Plays like Salem. Half back distributor who whilst not super quick, has a keen eye and can weave through traffic. Has one of the best kicks in this years pool. Footy smarts are through the roof and should move further up the ground.

7) Hugh Jackson: 181cm Midfielder. Plays like Mitchell. Hard running ball magnet who is the king of the clearances in this years draft pool. Again not quick but his gut running is superb.

My order would be:

1) Rachele
2) Sinn
3) Goater
4) Ward
5) Sonsie
6) Jackson
7) Draper
8) Rayson
9) Chesser
10) Johnson
11) Andrew
Ward really impressed me in those Vic trial games. Spot on the type we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back