2021 Lions Off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

The younger brigade return next week.

Anyone know if training sessions will be open now? I'm looking forward to reports of who's burning down the track.

Clubs and players will return to training over three calendar periods, detailed below:

1. Monday December 7 to Friday December 18
  • First – fourth year players to complete a two-week block of training between December 7 – 18, with all normal hours / days off a week applicable per the CBA.
2. Wednesday January 6 to Saturday February 13

• Players, including players to be selected in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, to participate in the AFLPA Induction Camp and the AFLPA Delegates Conference as required on January 4 and January 5, 2021.
  • All players to return to training on January 6 to complete a six-week block, with all normal hours / days off a week applicable per the CBA.
3. Sunday February 14 to the commencement of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season

• A further four-week block of full training in preparation for the commencement of the Home & Away season.

Sydney landed Nike, GWS are about to land Puma and we're stuck with classic. Is it strange that GWS (A much smaller club than ours) are able to land better sponsors?

Sydney landed Nike, GWS are about to land Puma and we're stuck with classic. Is it strange that GWS (A much smaller club than ours) are able to land better sponsors?
It feels like its been years (Puma in 2001 IIRC) that we've had a reputable apparel sponsor. From Russell Athletic, to BLK, Classic and one or two others but we can't seem to land an Adidas, Nike, Under Armour etc. that actually makes decent training / off-field gear.

If we can't get one of those top tier sports apparel brands whilst we're a top 4 side, I doubt we ever will.

It feels like its been years (Puma in 2001 IIRC) that we've had a reputable apparel sponsor. From Russell Athletic, to BLK, Classic and one or two others but we can't seem to land an Adidas, Nike, Under Armour etc. that actually makes decent training / off-field gear.

If we can't get one of those top tier sports apparel brands whilst we're a top 4 side, I doubt we ever will.

We have no excuse not to land a relatively high-tier sponsor. More people watched the Brisbane lions finals games in Brisbane than any rugby league game. Our ratings have tripled since we started playing well, our crowds are high and the interest in the team hasn't been this high since 2004. Greg Swan has been fantastic for the club, but we are better than a 3rd tier betting company or some trucking company no one has ever heard off. If GWS can command better sponsors, than so should we.

Sydney is a lot more desirable media market than Brisbane. GWS might have struggled for crowds but it's never struggled for sponsorship.

We have no excuse not to land a relatively high-tier sponsor. More people watched the Brisbane lions finals games in Brisbane than any rugby league game. Our ratings have tripled since we started playing well, our crowds are high and the interest in the team hasn't been this high since 2004. Greg Swan has been fantastic for the club, but we are better than a 3rd tier betting company or some trucking company no one has ever heard off. If GWS can command better sponsors, than so should we.
Hard to argue with any of that.

Given how crap the club has been for many years pre-2019, it is understandable we haven't attract top-tier sponsors, but it doesn't stop most other clubs when they are struggling to still not attract known organisations. We've gone from attracting the likes of Camperdown Milk (even in Victoria I have NFI who they are / were) to that tech company a year or two back to get on board, put their logo on everything to only fold and now Neds. Its embarrassing really and on Greg Swann and whoever he employs as the Commercial Manager, but again, if I was a sponsor, I wouldn't have anything to do with the club while Swann is in charge, so I'm not surprised our corporate areas have sat pretty vacant for a number of years (throw in how fickle Queensland companies are towards the club too).

Classic are in until 2022 by the looks of it.
Smart move by them renewing at end of 2019 for 3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like we're excited with how Joyce ended the season (and the other guys who didn't debut this year).

Looks like we're excited with how Joyce ended the season (and the other guys who didn't debut this year).
Praise the Lord........finally some info on our next wave of champs. Thanks Jas.

Fffiiinnnaaalllyyy something!🙏
I really like Tom Joyce from what I saw of him the year before this.

Fffiiinnnaaalllyyy something!🙏
I really like Tom Joyce from what I saw of him the year before this.
I was wondering if playing the other AFL sides rather than NEAFL teams would help the development of the players and that seems to be the case.

I’m excited to see which players come back raring to go in the preseason, I think seeing a player witherden go could be a spur to some that the club with be a little ruthless at times.

Exciting stuff, cannot wait f or this preseason to get underway

I was wondering if playing the other AFL sides rather than NEAFL teams would help the development of the players and that seems to be the case.

I’m excited to see which players come back raring to go in the preseason, I think seeing a player witherden go could be a spur to some that the club with be a little ruthless at times.
Good players leaving, means opportunity for others.

Greg Swann on SEN yesterday saying that training starts early January, no mention of any pre Christmas training as has been suggested earlier in this thread.

He also said we are on track to post a small profit for this year and membership numbers are up as at the same point last year. Joe Daniher has stayed in Brisbane and has found a place to live, is training with no injury concerns and is getting to know his team mates, his brother packing up his house in Melbourne.

Article says development of players included
Prior interceptor halfback, added wing
Ely Smith inside mid, added wing
Brock Smith intercept defender, added lockdown defender

The message is crystal clear - you want games at the top level, you need more than one trick.

No doubt the players traded out are seen as one trick ponies

I read the article as being pretty positive about the development of Joyce and Prior, less so the Smiths and particularly Ely. But they did always say he was starting from further back.

I read the article as being pretty positive about the development of Joyce and Prior, less so the Smiths and particularly Ely. But they did always say he was starting from further back.
Those club created pieces are often just puffery and it is more about trying to work out what wasn't said rather than what was. It is almost that if the club isn't effusive in its praise about a player, then you could assume that the player didn't quite meet the mark.

The younger brigade return next week.

Anyone know if training sessions will be open now? I'm looking forward to reports of who's burning down the track.

Why are our younger players not due back until January given that other finalists like Port are back in training?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back