2021 Lions Off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

all these matches and changes have confused me. will this match against GC be streamed at all? (I guess no AFLW matches on a monday right?)
not sure what the contract arrangements are but the past few years Fox sports has broadcast live all the community preseason games, so probably will be live on Fox

Both scratch matches played so far Bulldogs vs Hawks and Carlton vs Essendon were streamed to members. In fact they encouraged supporters to sign up their membership and receive the link to the stream.

Our club, zero effort, zilch, nudda, nothing, zero, nil, null, nix, couldn't give a %&**, care factor none. If we were not doing so well on the field one would think this club is a basket case.

Both scratch matches played so far Bulldogs vs Hawks and Carlton vs Essendon were streamed to members. In fact they encouraged supporters to sign up their membership and receive the link to the stream.

Our club, zero effort, zilch, nudda, nothing, zero, nil, null, nix, couldn't give a %&**, care factor none. If we were not doing so well on the field one would think this club is a basket case.
The only thing that I can see that the club has done wrong, is scheduling the game at the same time of an AFLW game.
The AFL has said there is to be no Live Stream as a result.
Terrible mismanagement by the club.🤔

Im really disappointed if this is the case. Didn't someone mention its the afls decision to not stream it.

The only thing that I can see that the club has done wrong, is scheduling the game at the same time of an AFLW game.
The AFL has said there is to be no Live Stream as a result.
Terrible mismanagement by the club.🤔
Ahh that makes more sense. Really poor timing by both the suns and us.

Well said.

What surprises me the most is that numerous people on here actually defend Gold Coast and the Lions for not showing it, which is really nonsensical given most other clubs are showing it. At the very least if people want to trot out that it clashes with a women's game, then surely a replay could also be provided.

These sorts of decisions that are usually out of the clubs control really riles up the childish, self entitled fans.

Missed opportunity for the club to promote memberships, etc. but hardly the end of the world. I still remember when most weeks the H&A season games weren't even televised and I had to listen to them on the radio.

I can wait a week to watch the rematch which will likely be at a much higher standard and a better indication of what we have to look forward to in 2021.

Definitely Bailey and Starcevich for me as they are the 2(particularly Zac) who could get substantial offers from another club.

I can't see Rich, Zorko or Lyons wanting to play anywhere else at their age and stage of their careers, McCarthy and Fullarton near certainties as well, neither would be getting significant dollar offers to move IMO.
Agree on Bailey, and I do now like the toughness of Starc, was a little concerned the first 10 or so games, but young guys need time, think he will eventually go possibly to the wing, think he did a bit of athletics (running) over in WA, so likely could adapt to the wing . As long as he is not 'homesick' and or does not receives a generous offer from one of the WA clubs, think highly likely Starc stays with Lions.
Fullarton has been upgraded from a rookie contact so assume he has had a contract extension. Think with all the young guys coming through, next contract for Zorks is less then his current one. Really liked McCarthy's game in the Prelim, if he can play consistently like that would absolutely extend him. K. Coleman to be extended if not done already.

Anyone downgraded to a rookie contract for this year, is in a spot of trouble and need a big year. Also from recent interview think it is Adam's last contract year, and he would need to be injury free for most if not all of the season and playing some real good footy in the VFL and when/if opportunity in AFL to be re-contracted.

Yes... the club is a total basket case because we don't live stream a PRACTICE match, or change up our training and game times to accommodate a live stream of a PRACTICE match. Some people need to get some perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These sorts of decisions that are usually out of the clubs control really riles up the childish, self entitled fans.

Missed opportunity for the club to promote memberships, etc. but hardly the end of the world. I still remember when most weeks the H&A season games weren't even televised and I had to listen to them on the radio.

I can wait a week to watch the rematch which will likely be at a much higher standard and a better indication of what we have to look forward to in 2021.
And it's being played behind closed doors for what reason other than insurance lawyers and WOEFL

It's a scratch match, sheesh. Historically you'd be lucky to even get highlights coming out of a scratch match.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

It's a scratch match, sheesh. Historically you'd be lucky to even get highlights coming out of a scratch match.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Suppose some posters would like to know how some of the young guys are developing, as we got virtually nothing last year.

I am not too bothered about it, but thought a live stream (especially for current club members) would be reasonable. I expect there will likely be heaps of rotations and lots of substitutes at half time etc that probably impacts on continuity and quality of the game etc . The game the following Monday, which very likely live on Fox will be a little more serious and a chance to see some of the young guys in a more serious match and give us an indication of the round 1 team.

Why do the Brisbane Lions need handouts and have for most of our existence?
So yeah a lot of things in the AFL need propping up or protection. That's just the way it works. So whinging about the AFL looking after the AFLW is a bit hypocritical from a Brisbane fan.
Important to separate this out:

AFL distributions are not handouts. The largest slice of the pie is the TV rights. The AFL receive 100% of the TV rights, and then decide what portion they get to spend on their junkets, and what portion goes back to clubland. This distribution is not a handout - it is the primary funding of the entire competition.

Likewise, even when we've had additional handouts, that still doesn't make it "propping up". The AFL decide to distribute $X from the TV rights, which is enough for 80% of clubs to run, and then top up the other 20%. If they distributed $Y, enough for 100% of clubs to run, then they wouldn't need to "prop up" anyone.

The entire distribution process is arbitrary, and at the discretion of the AFL. The only way to know which clubs are actually being propped up would be to analyse what viewers and advertising dollars each club is bringing to the table. Brisbane are unlikely to ever have been a drain in that context, as if Brisbane didn't exist as a club, they'd probably have had no TV broadcast for QLD, so the TV rights would've been far, far lower.

Important to separate this out:

AFL distributions are not handouts. The largest slice of the pie is the TV rights. The AFL receive 100% of the TV rights, and then decide what portion they get to spend on their junkets, and what portion goes back to clubland. This distribution is not a handout - it is the primary funding of the entire competition.

Likewise, even when we've had additional handouts, that still doesn't make it "propping up". The AFL decide to distribute $X from the TV rights, which is enough for 80% of clubs to run, and then top up the other 20%. If they distributed $Y, enough for 100% of clubs to run, then they wouldn't need to "prop up" anyone.

The entire distribution process is arbitrary, and at the discretion of the AFL. The only way to know which clubs are actually being propped up would be to analyse what viewers and advertising dollars each club is bringing to the table. Brisbane are unlikely to ever have been a drain in that context, as if Brisbane didn't exist as a club, they'd probably have had no TV broadcast for QLD, so the TV rights would've been far, far lower.

I'm not disagreeing but my point is comparing our financial situation to the AFLW

Yes... the club is a total basket case because we don't live stream a PRACTICE match, or change up our training and game times to accommodate a live stream of a PRACTICE match. Some people need to get some perspective.
Its also 2021.

Some people are still perched way up on their high horse. :rolleyes:

Its also 2021.

Some people are still perched way up on their high horse. :rolleyes:

And most people would have learned from getting outraged about the club not promoting the Carlton practice match last year where people couldn't attend anyway.

I think it's not all about this particular match. It's a combination of:
- the recent lack of fan engagement
- the rubbish communication we've had recently from the club (when I contacted them about my membership, I basically got told to give them my money or just go away)
- the obviously false explanation for the lack of streaming (we understand the AFL directive not to stream live. The AFL directive obviously doesn't apply to an upload later)

In the last 2 or 3 years, I've noticed significant change in attitude from the club. I love the club-footballing dept, but at present, I have minimal connection or allegiance to the club-organisation.

In the last 2 or 3 years, I've noticed significant change in attitude from the club. I love the club-footballing dept, but at present, I have minimal connection or allegiance to the club-organisation.
Not to mention someone very closely connected to the club said on here only a month or so ago that a lot of the content was aimed towards the sponsors and not the club's fanbase.

That's pretty evident thesedays adding to all of your very valid points.

On broadcasting/streaming of the warm up matches. For Queensland. Each year for the last 10 or 20 years the Lions and fans have complained about the NRL (Broncos and Titans) and the Qld Reds (rugby union) getting the jump on the AFL and getting the fans back into winter Footy sooner than the AFL. In Queensland with the fickle supporters or indeed multiple footy code supporters the first mover advantage can/does equal crowds. This year the Lions and Suns don't play to 20/21st March where the NRL this year only have the 1 week's advantage starting the week before but their pre-season trials getting a run on all free-to-air news reports and extensive analysis in all the papers. Both the Broncos (new coach) and Titans (brilliant recruiting) have some excitement about them and the Reds (young list improving like the Lions) are already playing and winning.

I would have thought, in just a competitive sense, the AFL would be keen to give access to the AFL Fans as much as possible of some footy even a pre-season scratch match. But then, the trend continues, even this year when the AFL through the Lions have the momentum on their side (the Broncos came last with the wooden spoon last year) they are not capitalising on an excellent opportunity of the Lions with big name recruits and the Suns with a brilliant young list coming through being showcased.

Booked accommodation for Canberras preseason game, watch the AFL cancel or move it now

Looks like it's official now we are playing the Suns again in the AAMI Community Series (Pre-Season) Match, which is fixtured on Monday the 8th March, at 6.10pm

Picked it like a dirty nose, * me dead :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back