Opinion 2021 Non-Crows AFL 3: Things Fall Apart!

Who sneaks in to 7th & 8th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not one supporter thought that at the time though .....was thought the missing piece for a flag ....lets not rewrite history
Supporters were excited to get Carey, but at the time I thought it was a high price and why we did it, so there's one.

Irrespective, the club is paid not to get excited and its expected to do reasonable trades. It was idiotic. We would have got him without giving up 4, where else was he going to play?

Anyway, old news.

That Carey trade is the worst trade in our history. Why the fu** did we give 4 & 18 for a player who was in his 30s, that had missed a year and the club wanted him out? No matter that he was a legend, his legend had passed, ******* madness.
The Carey & Gibbs trades are easily our 2 worst.

Tippett-gate was the worst loss of net picks & player.

Nah, I reckon Carey is. Gibbs we gave a mid range first and really a slide back of a first. Gibbs was playing quality football at the time.

Pick 4 for a bloke in his 30s, who missed a year and left his club in disgrace? Then throw in 19. WTF.

Not one supporter thought that at the time though .....was thought the missing piece for a flag ....lets not rewrite history
I did.

But more because he was morally bankrupt.

I thought at the time he would really enhance his opportunity of a fresh start and give us some real impact
I never understood the trade collateral it cost at the time on reflection

His time here was not that bad.

Till he injured his neck.

I loved having him here.

Got to remember that early draft picks weren't as valuable in the early 2000s and drafting still in its infancy.

No club would do that trade now.
Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Supporters were excited to get Carey, but at the time I thought it was a high price and why we did it, so there's one.

Irrespective, the club is paid not to get excited and its expected to do reasonable trades. It was idiotic. We would have got him without giving up 4, where else was he going to play?

Anyway, old news.
The Drafting of Carey was for the exact same reasons we traded for Gibbs .....final puzzle piece

Both times we over-paid definitely ......but supporters would have burn't the club down for not going for the ring

Got to remember that early draft picks weren't as valuable in the early 2000s and drafting still in its infancy.

No club would do that trade now.
Oh I definitely think a Club would do that trade again .....Clubs don't always behave rationally

The trade for Carey for Picks 2 & 18 was judged as one of the very worst AFL trades of all time. From memory I think the Crows thought that Sydney were keen at the time.

However the enabling trade of Kane Johnson to Richmond for Picks 2, 18, 32 and Jason Torney was a ripper. Kane was a very good player, but that was a big return that should have been used wisely.

Torney was a far more valuable player for the Crows than Carey. We should have chased him earlier. Luke Jericho at pick 32 less so.

I also realise it was Pick 4 & 20 before the Carlton penalties, but even so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is not what you stated WW
Don’t try and cop out
Not sure where I've changed my stance ......I was happy we got Carey

Remember this Club has had ongoing criticism for being too conservative .....this was adventurous & out of character

I wish we had shown this adventurous side and got Dusty Martin when he was available, when no club, bar GWS showed any interest

a201eeadf0220bd211e96e0ceb135ce5.gif

we suffered a lot of injuries in 2003, but we were flag favourites at the start of that year.

people think Neil Craig took over a basket case, but we were flying in 2002/03;

That's not true. There was a sizable number of supporters, probably not the majority, that thought the club was delusional. I noted at the time that Collingwood and one other club (I forget which) that was chasing Carey at pulled out of the race saying he was not worth a first round pick let alone two. While we were feting Carey as if he was the next Judd.

This simply isn't true.

it is true

We were bookies favourite at the start of that year

we’d finished 3rd in 2002, losing in the prelim to a Jason Cloke dog act on Tyson Edwards

Now imagine you’re that close and the GOAT becomes available and you secure him

expectations through the ******* roof. He’s had a year off to let his banged up body heal. Thoughts were that he would be flying

That's not true. There was a sizable number of supporters, probably not the majority, that thought the club was delusional. I noted at the time that Collingwood and one other club (I forget which) that was chasing Carey at pulled out of the race saying he was not worth a first round pick let alone two. While we were feting Carey as if he was the next Judd.

you made that up. Did not happen

he was being chased by a number of teams and no one pulled out saying the price was too high

Carey chose where he wanted to go

Anyway, old news.
Collingwood and one other big Victorian club would have had him if the price was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back