Opinion 2021 Non-Crows AFL 3: Things Fall Apart!

Who sneaks in to 7th & 8th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a dumb statement to begin with. it was a dumb statement 12 months ago. Everyone has the right to choose and just because you don't participate in a token event that has long lost its educational objective. Doesn't make you a racist.
I have no problem with a player not kneeling for BLM. As you said people should have the right to choose.

If its forced, it loses its meaning.

I have no problem with a player not kneeling for BLM. As you said people should have the right to choose.

If its forced, it loses its meaning.

Part of me feels that its a going through the motions exercise. Didn't stop the Indians being racist a few days ago. Seems to just be an issue that white players should be seen to do it.

It was a dumb statement to begin with. it was a dumb statement 12 months ago. Everyone has the right to choose and just because you don't participate in a token event that has long lost its educational objective. Doesn't make you a racist.
Choosing not to kneel doesn’t mean you are a racist

Just as choosing to kneel doesn't mean you are not racist.

I may be wrong, I can't find news articles but I am certain I saw some news on some things there fans said around the world cup.
Fans is one thing, saying Indians implies the whole country.

Its not like our fans dont say and do racist things?

I
Going on a conversation I overheard involving an ex AFL player there’s an AFL coach that’s gay. I don’t blame anyone not feeling comfortable in coming out with the AFL media the way it is.
Its an interesting one as there are a few AFLW players who are openly gay and there is no stigma attached nor are clubs being questioned re support etc. A non issue imo and if someone is gay they are gay, no need to make a fuss about it either way

I

Its an interesting one as there are a few AFLW players who are openly gay and there is no stigma attached nor are clubs being questioned re support etc. A non issue imo and if someone is gay they are gay, no need to make a fuss about it either way
There will be a lot of media attention associated with being the first openly gay male AFL player which I think is part of it. Some people wouldn't want that.

There will be a lot of media attention associated with being the first openly gay male AFL player which I think is part of it. Some people wouldn't want that.

let’s just say Tom Doedee comes out as gay, which would probably be a surprise to his fiancée but let’s just imagine for a moment.

there would be a lot of media interest and calls for interviews etc

none of which can really happen if he declines them.

there was no sideshow surrounding Carl Nassib who came out as first openly gay NFL player in June.

he didn’t grant a first interview until October.

the story dies pretty quickly if you ain’t fuelling it.

the flip side is that the commercial opportunities are massive if that interests them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I

30-40% of the Crows AFLW team are gay, which is a huge portion of the team, so it's definitely a non-issue. If a male player came out, it would be 1 player in 44 and the media will be all over it making it an issue.

Ambulance ramping.

In Oct 2018 I was in the ambulance with my mum the last time she went to hospital. While we were stuck 'ramped' at Flinders I got to watch her suffering through an ungodly amount of pain due to her cancer causing internal bleeding.

That was a moment burnt in my mind of how utterly ****ed our health system is. I don't give a s**t who is to blame, no-one should have to suffer like that stuck in an ambulance on the door-step of a hospital.

Sad part is she was a career nurse with most of it at Flinders/Margaret Tobin. Not much of a thank-you-for-your-service that night.

It has sparked plenty of debate seeing as it’s not the first time de Kock has taken this stance, with Johannesburg journalist Lungani Zama explaining to this knowledge why this has again occurred.

“‘Quinny’ just took umbrage at the fact there was an instruction given with no choice for players,” The Guardian writer said on SEN Breakfast.

“Given the amount of time South Africa have had to take a definitive, collective stance on it and then they’ve almost made up the rule in the middle of a tournament ahead of a must-win game.

“The previous board had said to them that every player is allowed to express themselves in whichever way they deem fit. To suddenly change that on the eve of such an important match…

“I’ll qualify it by saying Quinton de Kock, if you’re asking me if he’s racist or against Black Lives Matter, I’ll unequivocally say no because I know him personally.

“I know the work that he’s done to improve the lives and experiences of black players and black people around him for years and years, long before Black Lives Matter was a trend on social media.”

Pressed further to explain why de Kock made himself unavailable for his country, Zama feels the “token gesture” and “watered down” nature of what has become of acknowledging BLM is prevalent in the 28-year-old’s decision.

“I think because their constitutional rights were taken away from them, it was an instruction from the boss when it hadn’t been previously discussed,” he added.

“Added to that, from my conversations with him before, he sees it as a token gesture which has been watered down to almost mean nothing. It’s something that you have to do to be seen to be doing the right thing.

“His preference is to actually do the right thing, which he does in the way that he lives, the way that he interacts, and the way that he treats people of all races.

“It’s the token gesture for him that’s the issue.”

Still seems strange to me. Surely he could have predicted how his actions would be perceived?

Sorry thought it was a direct quote from De Kock.

However, if the term coloured is acceptable in SA, then that would be the term he used to be politically correct? Not sure? Just guessing?
It's pretty widespread to use the term People of Colour.

To call someone a coloured person is a bit more problematic, but mostly in the USA.

let’s just say Tom Doedee comes out as gay, which would probably be a surprise to his fiancée but let’s just imagine for a moment.

there would be a lot of media interest and calls for interviews etc

none of which can really happen if he declines them.

there was no sideshow surrounding Carl Nassib who came out as first openly gay NFL player in June.

he didn’t grant a first interview until October.

the story dies pretty quickly if you ain’t fuelling it.

the flip side is that the commercial opportunities are massive if that interests them

Fiancé is often among the last to know. This has got legs I tell ya.

30-40% of the Crows AFLW team are gay, which is a huge portion of the team, so it's definitely a non-issue. If a male player came out, it would be 1 player in 44 and the media will be all over it making it an issue.

The 'coming out' event is newsworthy because it's designed that way. But let's say an AFL player went to a function with their male partner, there would be no news story, there's simply not anything to report on. The most you'd get is rumours of gay AFL players, which, of course, there are. If Tom Doedee was supposed and I ran into a teammate of his and we spoke for hours, I can almost guarantee that his sexuality wouldn't be discussed. Now, if my old nan knew he was and you were watching footy with him the first thing you'd find out about Tom when his image hit the screen would be that he's gay.

Still seems strange to me. Surely he could have predicted how his actions would be perceived?

Maybe in his mind being forced to take a knee means nothing when an organisation forces you to.

One of my Aboriginal work colleagues hates how cliched the honouring of Kaurna land has become at the start of events/gatherings. Saying it is now token and means nothing. Is just said to make us feel better.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I wonder why this is?
Is it more common across most women's sport?
More accepted.

It is sad that in the AFL system, no gay player has felt safe to be himself.

Don't have to announce it. But as said above, take a male date to the Brownlow or club BnF. Live a normal life, not have to hide and be "normal"

More accepted.

It is sad that in the AFL system, no gay player has felt safe to be himself.

Don't have to announce it. But as said above, take a male date to the Brownlow or club BnF. Live a normal life, not have to hide and be "normal"

I thought the suggestion was there might be 1/44 gay male players though, not that there’s 30% hidden.

I thought the suggestion was there might be 1/44 gay male players though, not that there’s 30% hidden.
Hard to say what percentage for men. Because it is hidden.

There are a lot of gay women in women's sport at all levels.

To the point you don't even think about it, a non issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back